PDA

View Full Version : Retraining Feats

Greecy
2012-07-12, 02:22 PM
I have checked the DMG for Prestige classes and the PHBII under the retraining feats section and I haven't seen anywhere where you couldn't retrain a bad prerequisite feat for a prestige class after you take x levels in the PrC. I want to 1 level dip into a PrC but it has horrible reqs, can anybody shed any light? Would I lose the benefits of the PrC?

eggs
2012-07-12, 02:26 PM
According to Complete Warrior, you'd lose the prestige class's benefits once you lose its prereqs.

Ranting Fool
2012-07-12, 02:27 PM
I have checked the DMG for Prestige classes and the PHBII under the retraining feats section and I haven't seen anywhere where you couldn't retrain a bad prerequisite feat for a prestige class after you take x levels in the PrC. I want to 1 level dip into a PrC but it has horrible reqs, can anybody shed any light? Would I lose the benefits of the PrC?

PrC say that if you lose the reqs you lose the feat.... that said there is the whole Dragon Deciple loop where you "Have to be a non dragon" and at level 10 you become a dragon type therefore you lose all your abilities and become a non dragon again.

Not sure on what page that is though.

Greecy
2012-07-12, 02:30 PM
According to Complete Warrior, you'd lose the prestige class's benefits once you lose its prereqs.

Ok I looked up C.Warrior and you are correct. Thank you

The Dark Fiddler
2012-07-12, 03:16 PM
Ok I looked up C.Warrior and you are correct. Thank you

You should know that since that clause isn't in every book, some people have taken it to mean that it only applies to PrCs in that book. Ask your DM is always the best answer, and applies here, too.

Keld Denar
2012-07-12, 05:11 PM
Some PrCs are self qualifying, though. Sacred Exorcist, for example, requires you to be able to cast one of two spells. Later, it gives you one of those spells as a SLA. If you qualified as a sorcerer, for example, you could swap out the spell known for a different one, since the SLA covers that base for you.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2012-07-12, 05:44 PM
On the subject of retraining, hiring an NPC Psion to manifest a Psychic Reformation (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/psychicReformation.htm) on you is typically preferable to going through the mechanics of retraining, and it lets you repick a lot of other stuff, too. The standard fee for NPC spellcasting and similar is power/spell level x caster/manifester level x 10 gp, plus 5 gp per 1 xp that the caster spends, 10% of any costly spell foci, and any costly material components, per the PHB.

Khedrac
2012-07-13, 06:04 AM
Some PrCs are self qualifying, though. Sacred Exorcist, for example, requires you to be able to cast one of two spells. Later, it gives you one of those spells as a SLA. If you qualified as a sorcerer, for example, you could swap out the spell known for a different one, since the SLA covers that base for you.
SLA is not the same as being able to cast a spell so that's a nope.

If you re-read the PHB2 retraining rules they do say that you cannot retrain the pre-requisite for something you have without re-training that first. Unless it specifies feats that scuppers this as you have the PrC.
If it does specify feats, I think you will find that most DMs will not accept this one - what's the point of a feat tax if you get to claim it back.
It's a bit like using a Chaos shuffle in play - no one will believe you want to repent the second time you deliberately use Embrace the Dark Chaos.