PDA

View Full Version : [PF PEACH] Kelsey's House Rules, Version 1 Billion

Roxxy
2012-07-12, 08:38 PM
Yes, yet another version. I'm still trying to perfect things. As usual, these are written with a view of firearm heavy campaigns.

If the GM allows something that later proves to be unbalanced, the player may be asked to modify or replace the option in question.

Alignment is not used. See here ( http://paizo.com/forums/dmtz389l?Intelligence-Check-Removing-Alignment-from#0) for how this changes the rules.

Casting a spell causes you to lose your defense bonus to AC until your next turn. Defense bonuses are the replacement to armor, and are based on BAB.

Spontaneous casters do not increase a spell's casting time when using metamagic.

Two Weapon Fighting and Vital Strike scale with level. This means you gain the improved version for free as soon as you meet the prerequisites, provided you possess the earlier version.

All Characters get Vital Strike, Combat Expertise, Power Attack, Weapon Finesse, Point-Blank Shot, and Precise Shot for free.

Sneak attacks may be made from any distance within the first range increment of the weapon.

No time stop, wish, or miracle spells, including limited wish or minor miracle. Time Stop does not exist, and wishes and miracles are the domain of powerful outsiders, fey, and magic items.

You may reroll a failed knowledge check if you come across a source of additional information such as a book or an overheard NPC comment.
Each character is entitled to two traits, selected from a setting specific list presented by the GM.

Ability scores are 25 point buy.

When leveling up, you may either roll HP in the presence of the GM or just assume an average roll (which is half of the maximum dice roll, not a fraction).

Witches have a choice between summoning a familiar and forming an arcane bond. Witch familiars work the same as wizard familiars, as does the arcane bond feature. A witch writes spells in a grimoire, which functions like a wizard's spellbook but holds a great deal of ritual significance to the witch. A witch who loses a grimoire is treated as a witch in another Pathfinder game who has lost a familiar. A witch coven does not need to posses a hag. Bluff is on the list of witch class skills.

No communing with deities.

Ammunition, food, and water is not tracked unless scarcity is important to the adventure. Spell components are only tracked if they have a specific cost or scarcity is important to the adventure. If the GM decides to track resources, she will inform the players ahead of time so that they may prepare for this.

Ultimate Combat called shots are allowed.

All spells with the healing subtype belong to the necromancy school.

If a healing spell is cast on a corpse that has died within 1d3 + 2 minutes, and this spell raises the corpse's hit point total above its constitution modifier in negative hit points, the corpse returns to life. The corpse may not have more hit points that half it's constitution score in negative hit points when it returns to life, and resumes the dying condition normally, though it does not get an attempt at stabilization until losing a hit point. After 1d3 + 2 minutes, this can still be attempted, but it will likely fail to revive the corpse, and if it succeeds there will probably be brain damage. Whether or not such a late revival attempt fails, whether it does brain damage, and what this brain damage does is up to DM fiat. Once a person has been dead for 1d3 + 7 minutes, the individual can no longer be brought back to life, as resurrection magic does not exist.

Undead are treated the same way as living creatures where healing spells are concerned.

Teleportation magic is only allowed for summoning, spell like abilities, or supernatural abilities.

All classes except the fighter get an additional 2 skill points per level. This applies to archetypes that modify skill points.

This (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1thLs3y-i67bHzeJCJUr_afBpAFWHeKTyLGqCfjn8GjY/edit?pli=1) version of the fighter replaces the original class.

This ( https://docs.google.com/document/d/15Q1bdslox1xiTgid7d5aZ1jY2D-vFXlgn2oCqYjhRhs/edit?pli=1) provides the basic gist of how firearms work, though there will be some tweaks made, and the cover rule will not be used.

The Cleric, Oracle, Druid, Paladin, and Inquisitor are banned. Rangers shall take the Skirmisher archetype. The gods no longer provide humans with divine power do to many, many instances of misuse.

The Magus adds these ( https://docs.google.com/document/d/1FA0Zkn9qu6Qr6Sa5eAk2LvTEYO8ZN3bLCd6Ucv8PXh8/edit) spells to its spell list.

Sorcerers, Wizards, and Witches add these ( https://docs.google.com/document/d/1CZRyvdzilwo4oIjU468rdKvOib6gB-hjAkkZENQ__xs/edit) spells to their spell lists.

This last one isn't so much a rule as a flavor choice, but whenever a hit is scored with a weapon, a card from the Gamemastery Critical Hit deck is drawn. The effect on the card is NOT applied. Instead, the card tells the GM where on the body the attack struck, allowing the GM to quickly come up with a description of the attack based on amount of damage possible and amount done. Hopefully, by being more descriptive with combat, martial characters will be able to have more fun, since they can visualize what that 11 points of damage did.

Zale
2012-07-13, 09:52 PM
So, what precisely do you have against Divine Casters?

toapat
2012-07-13, 10:31 PM
So, what precisely do you have against Divine Casters?

it looks like the lack of ASF, but there is no logical reason why all the divine casters just get thrown out, especially considering that the paladin is crucial to the balancing of pathfinder unlike in 3.5.

Paladins in any system set before 4th ed can outright be aetheistic

besides that, these rules seem more like you want to be playing an entirely different game

Roxxy
2012-07-14, 12:11 AM
So, what precisely do you have against Divine Casters?I don't. I've had quite the love affair with the Paladin class. However, they don't fit the world I want to create here. I want a setting in which the gods are quite hands off. They exist, and people know it full well, but they don't go around making divine casters to fulfill their will. They used to, but they stopped after a few too many divine-superpower fueled holy wars.

Roxxy
2012-07-14, 12:16 AM
it looks like the lack of ASF, but there is no logical reason why all the divine casters just get thrown out, especially considering that the paladin is crucial to the balancing of pathfinder unlike in 3.5.ASF?

I wouldn't say Paladins are absolutely crucial to balance, especially with the Magus able to heal.

Paladins in any system set before 4th ed can outright be aetheisticNot without someone to provide the power.

besides that, these rules seem more like you want to be playing an entirely different gameThese aren't overly massive changes. Pathfinder made more changes to 3.5 than I made to Pathfinder, and this isn't the first D&D setting to rip out divine magic (Dragonlance).

LordErebus12
2012-07-14, 12:30 AM
ASF?
This isn't the first D&D setting to rip out divine magic (Dragonlance).

Now see here, The Divine didn't turn their backs on us; we took pagan, non-real deities as our own, losing the magic through a change of faith and dogmatic practices that stripped the practice of real divine magic from its society, for a time... but the gods returned and through the Disks of Mishakal they began to thrive again.

Roxxy
2012-07-14, 12:08 PM
Now see here, The Divine didn't turn their backs on us; we took pagan, non-real deities as our own, losing the magic through a change of faith and dogmatic practices that stripped the practice of real divine magic from its society, for a time... but the gods returned and through the Disks of Mishakal they began to thrive again.Yea, and then you lost Arcane magic as a result. Until the most recent era changed things up the setting either had working Divine magic or working Arcane magic, not both.

Why it happened isn't the big issue. The issue is that I'm not making the first D&D setting to do it.

In my setting, the Divine hasn't turned their backs on people, they just stopped letting them have divine power after putting out a few too many Cleric-inflamed holy wars. The Divine is still there, they've just adopted more of a non-interventionist stance.

Roxxy
2012-07-14, 12:39 PM
If the GM allows something that later proves to be unbalanced, the player may be asked to modify or replace the option in question.I think this rule could use some clarification.

Personally, I like to be lenient when it comes to letting players use 3PP, supplements, or homebrew in my games, so long as the materiel looks balanced to me and fits the theme of the campaign. If my players bring me something they found online or on their bookshelf and like, I want them to be able to have it. The problem is, just because something looks balanced to me at a glance doesn't mean it is balanced. This is why this is the first house rule on my list. That way, I can allow the option if it looks good to me knowing that, if problems do arise later, my players had prior warning that I will handle these problems by modifying whatever unbalanced thing I allowed or asking the player to find a different option.

LordErebus12
2012-07-14, 08:48 PM
In my setting, the Divine hasn't turned their backs on people, they just stopped letting them have divine power after putting out a few too many Cleric-inflamed holy wars. The Divine is still there, they've just adopted more of a non-interventionist stance.

See Faerūn's Time of Troubles. Lord Ao watched as the Gods and Goddesses took a non-interventionist attitude towards their worshipers.

The Time of Troubles was precipitated by an attempt by the gods Bane and Myrkul to steal the Tablets of Fate from the overgod Ao. The tablets were created by Ao to sustain the balance of good and evil, law and chaos and contain the areas of which each of the gods of the Forgotten Realms rule over.

Angry with the gods for their habitual pursuit of power and negligence toward their mortal faithful, Lord Ao relegated every god (except for the guardian god Helm, selected to protect the gates to the heavens) to walk among their followers on the earth.

The immediate effects of this edict were threefold.

First, divine magic (spells granted to clerics by their patron deities) ceased to function altogether unless the cleric was within one mile of their deity's avatar.

Second, arcane magic (a force channeled from The Weave by wizards and sorcerers) ceased to be regulated by its steward, Mystra, and became dangerously unpredictable.

Third, the characteristically immortal and aloof deities were now vulnerable (though devastatingly powerful) and dwelling among the civilizations of Faerūn.

So in Faerūn's time of troubles, Ao stepped in after they did this.

Roxxy
2012-07-14, 10:38 PM
See Faerūn's Time of Troubles. Lord Ao watched as the Gods and Goddesses took a non-interventionist attitude towards their worshipers.

The Time of Troubles was precipitated by an attempt by the gods Bane and Myrkul to steal the Tablets of Fate from the overgod Ao. The tablets were created by Ao to sustain the balance of good and evil, law and chaos and contain the areas of which each of the gods of the Forgotten Realms rule over.

Angry with the gods for their habitual pursuit of power and negligence toward their mortal faithful, Lord Ao relegated every god (except for the guardian god Helm, selected to protect the gates to the heavens) to walk among their followers on the earth.

The immediate effects of this edict were threefold.

First, divine magic (spells granted to clerics by their patron deities) ceased to function altogether unless the cleric was within one mile of their deity's avatar.

Second, arcane magic (a force channeled from The Weave by wizards and sorcerers) ceased to be regulated by its steward, Mystra, and became dangerously unpredictable.

Third, the characteristically immortal and aloof deities were now vulnerable (though devastatingly powerful) and dwelling among the civilizations of Faerūn.

So in Faerūn's time of troubles, Ao stepped in after they did this.I did not know of this. I am not familiar with Forgotten Realms.

toapat
2012-07-14, 11:50 PM
I did not know of this. I am not familiar with Forgotten Realms.

TvTropes summurizes Faerun pretty well: Faerun is the Kitchen Sink Fantasy. If there is something you can think of, Faerun has most likely done it. Except for trains, Eberron beat Faerun to having trains.