PDA

View Full Version : What the D&D Next Fighter SHOULD Look Like? [1st Level Complete]

Ziegander
2012-07-12, 10:39 PM
I suppose it comes as no surprise that the, self-proclaimed, "King of Fighter Fixes," has taken interest in what exactly the Fighter should look like in D&D Next. I do get coherent images in my head of consistent character types when I read the class name, "Fighter." I've said before, when asked why I brew so many darn Fighter remakes, that I guess I just get the Fighter concept more than any other class. It communicates with me and I can comprehend what it's trying to say. Or at least I like to think I do.

This guy is a Fighter:

http://dice20.com/2e/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/Pathfinder1_Fighter_500.jpeg

This guy probably isn't:

http://www.plasticrypt.com/bestiary/images/thumb/7/7f/Katapeshi_half_orc.jpg/360px-Katapeshi_half_orc.jpg

This girl is a Fighter:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v253/Lhiannan_Shee/DwarfWarrior.jpg?t=1259940176

This girl probably isn't:

http://i456.photobucket.com/albums/qq283/David-Aiello/FemaleDrowFighterorRangerorRogue.jpg

Fighters use comfortable, practical, and reliable equipment that will serve them well in a variety of situations. They are experienced and pragmatic, taking a straightforward and level-headed approach to matters. Fighters are prepared, making efforts to keep themselves that way, because they do not have the faith of the Paladin or the impulsive passion of the Barbarian - instead they possess training and either wisdom or tactical acumen.

A Fighter relies on his skill with arms to win the day. He is not a magic user, but he is not dumb. His mind simply turns instead to the ringing of steel against steel and the opening of the floodgates of blood gushing from open wounds. He applies his keen intellect to the battlefield, planning attacks and defenses a step (or often many steps) ahead of his competition, making fools out of lesser warriors and of mages that underestimate him alike.

Class: Fighter
Durability and experience combined with weapon mastery over his equipment helps the Fighter dominate the battlefield. Fighters gain the following features.

Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: You can wear all armor, use all shields, and wield all weapons.

You have Damage Reduction 2 when wearing armor and a +1 bonus to AC when using a shield. Any weapon you wield, including an Unarmed Strike, deals +2 damage.

When you reach 5th level you have DR 4 when wearing armor, +2 AC when using a shield, and +4 damage with weapons you wield. These bonuses continue to increase every four class levels (DR by 2, AC by +1, and damage by +2).

Opportunity Attack: You may immediately attack any enemy that moves beyond your reach or that fails at any action for which they have disadvantage if they failed within your reach. This is not an action (or a reaction). A Fighter may not attack another Fighter in this way unless he has more Fighter levels than the other Fighter.

Fighting Style: You begin play with the knowledge of two different special attacks that you may use as an action on your turn. These attacks represent your superior knowledge of weapon mechanics and fighting techniques. At 1st level, choose any two of the following.

Defender's Mark - If Defender's Mark hits, your target's attacks against your allies have Disadvantage until the start of your next turn.

Duelist's Strike - If Duelist's Strike hits, your target's attacks against you have Disadvantage until the start of your next turn.

Hungry Steel - Your attack with Hungry Steel is made with Advantage but each attack made against you until the start of your next turn gains Advantage.

Slayer's Tenacity - Your attack with Slayer's Tenacity has Disadvantage, but even if it misses you deal damage to the target equal to the higher of your Strength or Dexterity modifiers.

Steel Wind - Steel Wind attacks up to two creatures that are either adjacent to you or adjacent to each other.

Tactical Strike - Even if you miss with Tactical Strike, choose an ally adjacent to the target. That ally receives Advantage on the next attack it makes against the target before the start of your next turn.

These special attacks cannot be used in conjunction with your Opportunity Attack feature (Fighting Style attacks require you to spend your action on your turn; only basic attacks can be used with Opportunity Attack).

So, there you have it. That's my proposed, 1st level "Fighter fix" for D&D Next. At 2nd level, as I envision it, the Fighter gains his "encounter attack", which isn't necessarily a once per encounter thing, but simply is a situational attack that is powerful but can't be used all the time. At 3rd level, I would give them a passive "stance" type ability that is on all the time. Something like, "Peerless Skill" that gives the Fighter advantage on all Strength and Dexterity based contests (like Bull Rush and Trip) would be appropriate.

Please, playtest it. Let me know what you think. Show it to the players in your group that gravitate toward the Fighter because it is easier to manage than a Wizard or a Rogue. I'd love to hear their opinions, and how this version of the Next Fighter compares with the playtest versions of the Next Cleric and Wizard.