PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Monster Manual IV critters

big teej
2012-07-13, 02:14 AM
as it says on the tin.

what are your favorite critters from MM IV and why?

Ranting Fool
2012-07-13, 04:50 AM
I read your post and thought "Do I even use MM:IV" then went of to check...

Bloodhulk. Gota love the bloodhulks! :smallbiggrin: As minons of BBEG's they are fun. Hard enough to slow the PC's down. But weak enough so I don't worry about a party kill (No ranged/not being able to fly for example) and for some reason melee players LOVE their low AC and extra D6 added vs slashing weapons :smallbiggrin:

Though I always add the added special ability : Soak in Gore... if you kill this beast Via melee hits anyone standing near the Bloodhulk will, by the end of the battle, be soaked head to foot in blood and gore (Even more fun if they kill a few inside a city then try and think of a way to get back to the inn/home without walking down the road looking like a bunch of psycos) :smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin:

killianh
2012-07-13, 05:56 AM
nothing like a tribe of joystealers pretending to be elves to really make the party jump! :smallbiggrin: I'll second the bloodhulks, and add anything lolth touched

Runestar
2012-07-13, 08:42 AM
Some of the Tiamat spawn are actually pretty cool if you downplay their heritage. I particularly liked the red spawn Arcanis and godslayer.:smallsmile:

Acathala
2012-07-13, 01:39 PM
I don't know about momsters, but I like using the Lolth-touched template to create nastier drow and drow-related beasties.

Inferno
2012-07-13, 02:08 PM
Skiurids! Fear the shadow squirrels!
Also, Clockhorses are cool.

GreenSerpent
2012-07-13, 02:35 PM
Vitreous Drinker. I mean, it's the perfect spymaster for a cult. One of those could manipulate a whole city in the right circumstances.

Plus, it's really creepy.

ScionoftheVoid
2012-07-13, 03:28 PM
I personally like Tomb Spiders, though the one time I've used them the party didn't find out about their rather nasty "gotcha" and the game collapsed before they got into another encounter with them.

ShadowFireLance
2012-07-13, 04:02 PM
DragonSpawn.

Epic win.

You do not beat Tiamat.

End of Discussion.

Anyways I have used them more times then I can count. My fav memory of them was When I was a Redspawn Arcaniss and had a Fireblecher mount and toasted a town.
Fun times.

Tim Proctor
2012-07-13, 04:24 PM
Githyanki, I usually have them invade the planet that they PCs are on. They are good organized villains that love conquest and subjugation without bring deities into the mix. The PCs can fight lots of them and take them out like they are super heroes and then still fight a BBEG from them. Good universal villains.

eggs
2012-07-13, 08:48 PM
Fang Golem.

It's a golem that an Artificer can afford to build without auctioning off his kneecaps to meet the bill.

willpell
2012-07-13, 09:05 PM
There's not much in MM4 I seem to like. I'm bad at reading stats so I can't go off more than a first-glance assessment. Black Rock Triskelion, Briarvex, Voor and above all the Lodestone Marauder look really cool, and Clockroach, Clockwork Steed, Verdant Prince, Wizened Elder, Tomb Spider, Web Mummy, Vitreous Drinker and Dwarf Ancestor are interesting concepts which I think would be useful in a game. But overall I'd say this seems to contain by far the least appealing content out of the six Monster Manuals (counting Fiend Folio).

And I never noticed before that the Kastiguhr looks exactly like Warcraft's Pit Fiend except for being bipedal.

Dragonborn
2012-07-14, 02:29 PM
There's not much in MM4 I seem to like.

But overall I'd say this seems to contain by far the least appealing content out of the six Monster Manuals (counting Fiend Folio).

This. I did like the Skiurid though, apart from randomly being always Neutral Evil for no real reason. I'd like to try one as a PC somehow ....

Curmudgeon
2012-07-14, 03:31 PM
The Varag is an excellent Humanoid form to take with Alter Self: 60' base speed, +8 racial bonus to Move Silently, and Run and Spring Attack as racial bonus feats.

QuickLyRaiNbow
2012-07-14, 09:54 PM
Lloth-Touched and Vecna-Blooded templates. I <3 templates.

Malachei
2012-07-15, 05:01 AM
I like the Whisper Demon, the Defacer, Nagatha, Zern, some Spawn of Tiamat and, of course, the Avatars of Elemental Evil.

ShriekingDrake
2012-07-16, 05:27 PM
Skiurids! Fear the shadow squirrels!

+1

And I like the Greenspawn Leapers and Sneaks.

big teej
2012-07-16, 10:50 PM
more than a few of you are not telling me WHY!!! :vaarsuvius:

Menteith
2012-07-16, 10:55 PM
Lloth-Touched and Vecna-Blooded templates. I <3 templates.

Seconded on the various God-Blooded templates. Vecna-Blooded is itself an amazingly cool template for all sorts of reasons, which aren't game breaking but are still insanely powerful.

I liked Vecna-Blooded because it's entirely unique. It's flavorful, powerful, and reasonable, hitting all of the marks I want from the game.