PDA

View Full Version : Help playing an unstable character

doliest
2012-07-13, 02:58 AM
So...I need a bit of help here.

I'm in a campaign where my character is, at this point, actually IN a mental institute, and not without good reason. Now, my character is being removed from the asylum to rejoin the group...but I'm not sure how to play him, and would like some help.

The setting

Okay, most important things take place in a magical realm that 'overlays' the modern world, with one being capable of returning to Earth, or coming back to the land Avalon at certain special spots. The world of Avalon is basically a massive Urban Fantasy city the size of the British Isles, with the countryside beyond it near the size of Australia.

There is a government running the city, a slow moving and corrupt democracy, standard fare really- what's important is two factions hidden in the shadows. One, the side the PCs are on, want to the maintain the status quo. The other are essentially organized anarchists of various different leanings who want to take over the government to change it into, at the moment, a dictatorship.

For a rather long period, the two sides have waged a secret war that was rather costly and had almost revealed their existence to Avalon at large- however, the war ended with a ceasefire a little over eight years before the campaign. This is all before our characters were born...or, more specifically, around the same time as.

The Characters(Primarily, mine, at the start)

So, my character, Lestat( You may now leave for my poor taste) was born to two major members of the Evil side who were locked up a month after his birth when they willingly took the fall for a series of murders committed by the Evil side's Secret Police, called Mordred. He was taken in and raised by another family on the Evil side, and generally kept to himself and didn't interact with anyone. He also hated Mordred with a passion, but figured he could never touch him, so he just focused much of his childhood on reading and practicing a few talents. Come the start of the campaign when he is Eight. At that age, he and two others are recruited into a training program for their unique abilities run by the Good side. My character is allowed to go as part of a 'we can get along' idea that has sprung up after the ceasefire.

The Campaign up until this point has taken place over four years in-universe. Lestat's issues and antisocial behavior have actually been fixing themselves, mostly because of his immense affection and trust for his squadmates. However, he has had three issues flare up;

1. He cares about them alot. He will throw himself into any situation to save them because they are ALL he has. This has included showing a willingness to murder to protect them, which, given that they are only 12...is rather bad. Though, I would like to note that while the 'training' is mostly non-violent, they've continually been sent on missions that are dangerous, stressful, and put them up against immense challenges, so this isn't all his issues.

2. He hates Mordred. We've met him once in the campaign, and he threw himself at him, despite being clearly weaker than him AND outnumbered 20 to 1. Mordred took a family he never knew from him, and he despises the man for that.

3. He wants to rescue his parents: This...this isn't a good thing. His parents are still loyal to Mordred; they're just biding their time until he needs them again and breaks them out. Lestat broke them out of prison three years into the game, and they thanked him, knocked him out, and went back to working for Mordred in the shadows.

Yeah. To give an idea of the others;

One is a Hero. That's all there is to it, really. He's polite, self sacrificing, very traumatized, and one of the murders Mordred pinned on Lestat's parents were his family. They get along despite this.

The other is an unstable Anti-hero. His powers flared up three years ago and he killed his parents by accident. He was taken in by a powerful, famous, emotionally distant, physically abusive mentor. While unstable, he's gotten better in the more recent years of the campaign, and the mentor has become a MUCH better person. Long story relating to the type of magic he used.

The Incident that got him into the Asylum

So, there has been a ceasefire, and it looked like it would become even more. Then Mordred, who up until now had been more of a 'name' that we've met once and two thirds of the party have a grudge against, organized a coup of his side, removing all the opposition and putting himself in charge so that he could gear his side up for a total war against us.

Now, between the in-game 'years' our characters take a small break, assumed to be about a month in game and always lasting no longer than a single session, in which they gather themselves, train new abilities, spend experience points, etc. The other two did the normal- Lestat? Lestat developed a new ability...and used a bit of information we'd gotten about a year ago in-game.

First of all, his magic is completely different from...almost everyone elses. Only a few clans have it, and it completely breaks the rules of the setting. It's called, 'Discordian magic' and every practitioner has a completely original spell set, because the spells are based on life experiences. Among other things, Lestat met the originator of this branch, the Draconequess Discord(Yes, from MLP) and traded him an immensely powerful item that would help him escape in a few decades for the power to truly fight Mordred.

He's been developing these powers, among them the ability to have a teleport spell that is untrackable. During the 'vacation' he developed the ability to completely override defensive magics, as well as mundane locks and barriers. He essentially forces his will on reality to get them out of his way. Literally no one else in the setting can do this. (Funny note? Lestat was before this, and still is, the weakest of the three PCs. These powers are great, but the other two are walking armies.) He knows the war is coming, hates Mordred...and has detailed information on the whereabouts and living situations of his supporters.

So, over the vacation, Lestat dons a mask and cape, and pays a visit to an ally of Mordred, sneaks into his house and his room, and slits his throat as he sleeps. He then dangles his body out the window as a warning, and untraceably teleports back to his hotel room. The man has no family, so when it isn't noticed in three days, he does it to another. By this time, the first is found by the police(neither side of the 'secret war' has any connection to Avalon's actual law enforcement) and the leader of the Good side(That Lestat is on) realizes its him doing it, visits him, talks to him...overpowers him, and has him committed to a mental institution.

Why? The war hasn't started yet, and even when it does, he is still in training. So, given that he was already showing signs of instability, their leader feels it best to get him help. So, mental facility covered in runes that were never mentioned, ever, before that can counteract Discordian magic.

Lestat is there for the rest of 'vacation' but their leader wants him back in training, so he has their base covered in the same runes, and is arranging for a therapist to see him once the team gets back together.

My question is, how do I play him now that his issues are at the forefront, his leader is forcing him to stay withen the area, and forcing him to see a therapist for what he sees as nothing?

If you have any more questions, ask and I'll attempt to fill them in- if TL;DR, thank you for your time. :smalltongue::smallwink: