PDA

View Full Version : Improved Climb

Yaitanos
2012-07-13, 03:42 AM
So I came across an Improved Swim which gives a +20 to racial swim speeds. And there is an improved flight which increases maneuverability by one step. So I'm wondering if there is an Improved Climb?

If not, lets make one! What seems like it would work well? Faster climbing speed, ability to charge while climbing?

Yaitanos
2012-07-14, 02:44 AM
Really? No one has any input?

limejuicepowder
2012-07-14, 10:56 AM
Increased climb speed is a given, I think. I would also put in some kind of "prevent falling" component; when circumstances would normally knock the creature off whatever it is they are climbing, they can make a climb check to catch themselves. I'm AFB right now so I don't know what the specifics should be.

Greyfeld85
2012-07-14, 11:24 AM
There's already a clause in the SRD that allows you to catch yourself while falling, but the DC is pretty steep (wall DC + 20).

I would say that an improved climb might include retaining your dexterity bonus while climbing, increased climbing speed, or increased climbing modifier. Or some combination of the above.

whibla
2012-07-14, 05:15 PM
Is this intended to be for pc's? monsters? Must they actually have a listed climbing speed? The distinction is important. To illustrate, for the feats you listed the Improved Swimming one would be useless for a creature with a listed swim speed, as they already move the listed speed while swimming not a quarter of their base land speed, while the Improved Flight obviously does require a fly speed.

I also ask because:

I would say that an improved climb might include retaining your dexterity bonus while climbing.

Any creature with a climb speed already keeps their dexterity bonus when climbing, as well as being able to increase their climbing movement rate merely by taking a -5 penalty to their climb check. Considering that they get an +8 racial bonus, and can always take a 10, there's little, though defintely not no, chance of a climbing creature falling anyway.

As it happens there are already a few feats, past or present, that affect climbing, though most are for (or at least mostly benefit) characters without the climb movement mode:

Expert Climber, Rope Climber and Wall Fighter: For characters or creatures without a climb speed - basically feats that add +2+ to your climb checks, and/or give you the option of retaining your Dex to AC if attacked when climbing, as well as possibly negating the attacker's bonus to hit. They either have restrictions to their effects (1 & 2) or prerequisites (3)

Or for creatures with a listed climb speed there's:

Rapid Movement: Adds 10' to the movement rate of one of your special movement modes (burrowing, flying, climbing, or swimming).

If you wanted to create your own I'd suggest that there's one thing that is worth considering. By and large, climbing is far more dangerous than swimming. If you fail a swim check about the worst thing that happens is your head goes underwater, and you have to start holding your breath. If you fail a climb check you fall, and recovering from that is nigh on impossible (considering that you fell in the first place). In addition, there's already an option to increase your climb speed, by taking a -5 penalty, whereas there is no corresponding option to do so listed under the swim skill. On balance, without making the feat too powerful, it depends on what you want to achieve with it. Loss of dexterity is a huge penalty, and to counter that and give constant additional bonuses would, imo, be too much. So, as well as, or other than, the feats listed above you might have:

Rapid Climber. You can ignore the -5 penalty on climb checks when moving at twice normal climbing speed (half your normal movement). You are so skilled at climbing quickly you can opt to move at 3/4's of your normal movement rate when climbing, but you take a -10 penalty to do so.

Dextrous Climber. You retain your dexterity bonus (if any) to armour class when you are climbing. Any other condition that causes you to lose your dexterity bonus, such as being suprised, will still affect you as normal. In addition, if you fall, as a result of a failed climb check, the DC required to catch yourself is the wall DC + 15 (as opposed to wall DC + 20).

Just an idea...

King Atticus
2012-07-14, 06:24 PM
It's not a feat but one solution I've found is using 'Balancing Lorecall' (CAdv Sorc/Wiz/Ranger/Druid 2). With 5 ranks in balance it lets you walk up walls at half speed with a DC20 balance check (DC25 for accelerated movement) it even gives a +4 to the check. You keep your Dex to AC and can attack normally, it follows Balance rules instead of climb.

I'm considering getting a wand (you'd get about 3 minutes of this per charge) of it for a Factotum I have to UMD.

For even more fun...if you have 10 ranks in balance you can walk on water! :smallbiggrin:

Kuulvheysoon
2012-07-14, 06:25 PM
Scouts (CAdv) also get a wall-climbing ACF in the PHB2.

kitcik
2012-07-16, 10:40 AM
Take the Walk the Walls skill trick.