PDA

View Full Version : Veneficus, a high magic d100 rpg(WIP, PEACH)

Togath
2012-07-13, 04:17 AM
any comments or ideas are welcome, as this is still in a very early stage.
the planned era/style is intended as featuring a lot of magic(with even basic PC warriors having some supernatural abilities), and technology advances due to having magic available(such as a small object enchanted to glow, then attached to a pole or a stick to make a streetlamp or torch, firearms are also planned to be present

Veneficus system, 2nd draft(current name)

Base Mechanic: d100, roll equal to check or higher to succeed,

Movement and Ranges; movement and ranges are listed in feet(five feet equals 1 inch for moving miniatures and such)

Base Stats;
Strength(str): increases melee to-hit chance, increases melee and thrown damage, increases carrying capacity, increases skill at feats of athleticism
Agility(agi): increase ranged to-hit chance, increases critical hit chance with ranged, small, or light weapons, can sometimes increase avoidance(if wearing light enough armour)
Costituation(con): increases HP, increases fortitude, allows you to perform tiring actions for longer periods of time, can sometimes reduce damage taken
Intelligence(int): boosts intelligence based magic, increases skill at certain tasks, increases known skills
Force of Will(fow): boosts force-of-will based magic, increases leadership abilities, reduces chance to be effected by mind control, increases resistance to fear, can also aid with social skills
Magical(mag): increases MP, can increase spell damage, and can boost resistance if magical-power is high enough

Secondary Stats(secondary stats are sort of like things such as saving throws and hp in dnd):
Hit Points(HP): you can take damage equal to your hp before falling unconscious, and damage equal to your hp minus your toughness score before dying
Magic Points(MP): magic points are used to use spells or some abilities
Movement(move): movement determines how far you may move
Fortitude(fort): increases resistance to things such as poison and disease
Willpower(will): increases chance to resist mind effecting spells or abilities
Damage Resistance(DR): reduces weapon damage taken
Magic Resistance(MR): reduces spell damage taken

Tertiary Stats(these are basically mechanics, but can be increased with level);
To-Hit Chance: increases chance to hit target with attacks or some spells
Avoidance: reduced chance to be hit by attacks, or by spell requiring a target
Range: determines the min and max ranges you can use a weapon at(a weapon with a range of 1 meter is only usable to attack adjacent targets)

Classes/Archetypes;
coming soon, I'm planning on having "archetypes" which allow yout to select from different lists of abilities(probably 3-4 lists)
Recent changes;added new races

Craft (Cheese)
2012-07-13, 06:57 AM
the planned era/style is intended as featuring a lot of magic(with even basic PC warriors having some supernatural abilities), and technology advances due to having magic available(such as a small object enchanted to glow, then attached to a pole or a stick to make a streetlamp or torch, or things such as gryphons used for moving packages(such as a post office using messengers riding on them to transport mail quicker then by foot or horseback)

Eberron?

I was also planning for firearms to be present, as they have existed for a long time in real life, and are rarely featured in fantasy games

Now, this I can get behind. I've actually had a fantasy setting kicking around in my head for over a year now where firearms have advanced (with magic!) to the point where swords, bows, and other "classic" weapons are no longer really used as serious weapons of warfare and are confined to leisure and/or ritualistic activities as they are today.

My problem is implementing it in a game system: I've never quite come across a good tabletop system that implements gun-based combat without it either sucking or being indistinguishable from no-gun combat. So I'm excited to see what you come up with here.

d100, roll equal to check or higher to succeed, 0000/1010 = 100, 001/101= 1

...I'm confused. At first I thought you meant the standard d20 mechanic of "roll a die, add modifiers, check to see if it meets a DC" but then you throw up those numbers and now I have no idea what's going on.

Movement and Ranges; movement and ranges are listed in centimeters(1 centimeter equals 1 meter for fluff)

Huh? You mean 1-centimeter spaces on the grid matching 1-meter spaces in the game world, right? Putting aside that that's a tiny grid, why not just list everything in meters instead?

As for your stats... I don't have much to say. I can say two things:

1. Strive to have as few stats as possible, but no fewer. Do you really need both Force-of-Will and Appearance? Both Courage AND Mental Fortitude?

2. Don't be afraid to steal names: Using a term another system uses means players familiar with that system will automatically know how your mechanic works. Why not just call Agility Dexterity, and Avoidance AC?

Togath
2012-07-13, 07:29 AM
Eberron?

Now, this I can get behind. I've actually had a fantasy setting kicking around in my head for over a year now where firearms have advanced (with magic!) to the point where swords, bows, and other "classic" weapons are no longer really used as serious weapons of warfare and are confined to leisure and/or ritualistic activities as they are today.

My problem is implementing it in a game system: I've never quite come across a good tabletop system that implements gun-based combat without it either sucking or being indistinguishable from no-gun combat. So I'm excited to see what you come up with here.

...I'm confused. At first I thought you meant the standard d20 mechanic of "roll a die, add modifiers, check to see if it meets a DC" but then you throw up those numbers and now I have no idea what's going on.

Huh? You mean 1-centimeter spaces on the grid matching 1-meter spaces in the game world, right? Putting aside that that's a tiny grid, why not just list everything in meters instead?

As for your stats... I don't have much to say. I can say two things:

1. Strive to have as few stats as possible, but no fewer. Do you really need both Force-of-Will and Appearance? Both Courage AND Mental Fortitude?

2. Don't be afraid to steal names: Using a term another system uses means players familiar with that system will automatically know how your mechanic works. Why not just call Agility Dexterity, and Avoidance AC?

For the firearms thing, I was planning to have them very similar to crossbows, as midlevel firearms were close in power to them, though I will probably make the firearms in a sort of revolver style for both rifles and pistols, neither is historically accurate, but it does help make them more useful(I'm thinking of having the advantage to firearms being very rapid loading, with decently high damage per hit, with crossbows having some armour piercing ability and high damage, but slow reloads, and bows having quick reloading, but medium damage, but with very long range .
for the numbers, I was more trying to set a standard way to determine which result on the d% was 100 and which was a 1, as I wasn't sure if there was a standard system for judging whether you've rolled 1 or 100(if there is, I'll remove that bit as it's redundant if there is already a standard way to do so)
and good point about the centimeter based movement may be somewhat small increments, I'll probably change the increments to 2centimeter ones, or perhaps to inches(though the original intent was for wargame style movement/ranges, I'm not 100% sure how well wargame style movement works in a tabletop rpg)
For stats, I'll probably remove appearance along with the tertiary beauty and fearsome-appearance stats.
Also the secondary and tertiary stats are closer to saving throws then true stats.
Also you do have a decent point about the courage and mental fortitude, but I wasn't 100% if I wanted to consolidate them as they do(somewhat) different things, if I do merge them, I'm not 100% sure which to keep, as courage doesn't necessarily imply being good at resisting mind control, and having a strong mind doesn't necessarily imply courage, though I suppose force-of-will could provide increased bonuses to resisting fear effects to make up for it if I remove it.
resilience is meant to basically be damage reduction from dnd, and resistance is meant to be sort of like a combination of spell resistance and energy resistance from dnd.
Also, the reason I decided to call the avoidance stat avoidance, is because it's more about completely avoiding the blow, with armour only providing a small bonus to avoidance, but granting a decent increase to resilience.

An idea for hp calculation;at first level all characters/creatures gain hp equal to their base hp plus their toughness stat, at every level after, they gain hp equal to their hp per level plus their toughness stat minus 10 and then divided by two
example;
standard human with starting toughness(10 points) with the support-type class chassis(12 hp base, 6hp per level) gains 22hp at first level, and 6 hp every level after first(256 hp at level 40)
a standard human with 12 toughness and the same chassis instead gets 24 hp at first level and 7 hp every level after first(297 at level 40)

Togath
2012-07-14, 05:38 AM
Finally have some of the mechanics done, i will add the base races soon;

Mechanics;

Base Ability Scores;
Strength(STR)
Agility(AGI)
Constitution(CON)
Intelligence(INT)
Force-of-Will(FOW)
Magic(MAG)

Secondary Stats;
Hit Points(HP)
Magic Points(MP)
Movement(move)
Fortitude(fort)
Willpower(will)
Damage Resistance(DR)
Magic Resistance(MR)

Determining Base Scores;
all races start with a base of ten in every primary score, characters must then distribute 3 points to add to the base of ten, you may also reduce one score to increase another score by the same amount, to a minimum starting score of 8 or to a maximum starting score of 14.
after this process has been applied you then add any racial modifiers to your scores(these can push a score below 6, or above 14) to your base scores.

Score Increases From Levels;
at every even level you gain one extra score point to distribute to any base score you wish, this may increase a score above 14, you also gain score points from your archetype, which are listed in the class description, and are usually pre-selected and therefore cannot be changed

Determining Base HP;
at first level, you gain HP equal to your constitution score, plus your archetype's base HP, and any additional modifiers which apply.

HP Increases from Levels;
for every level after first, you gain extra HP equal to one-half of your archetype's base HP, plus one-half of your constitution modifier, along with any modifiers which apply.

Determining Base MP;
your base MP is equal to your archetype's starting MP plus your magic score, and any modifiers which apply.

MP Increases from Levels;
at every level after first, you gain MP equal to your archetype's MP per level plus one-half of your magic score modifier, along with any modifiers which apply

Determining Ability Modifiers;
each base score grants a score modifier equal to it's value minus ten(a score of 10 gives +0, a score of 9 would give -1, and a score of 11 would give +1)

Determining Hit Chance;
your hit chance is equal to your archetype's base to-hit chance, plus your strength modifier and any modifiers which apply.

Determining Avoidance Chance;
Your avoidance is equal to your archetype's base avoidance score, plus your shield bonus, armour bonus, agility modifier, and any additional modifiers which apply.

Determining Willpower;
your willpower score is equal to your archetype's base willpower plus your force-of-will modifier(for every five points of force-of-will above ten, you gain an extra stacking +1 bonus to willpower versus fear effects), when an effect requiring a willpower saving throw is used against you, you roll a d% and add your willpower score to the result, if this exceeds the effect's DC you succeed on the save and usually take a reduced effect(effects of a successful save will be detailed in the effect's description)

Determining Fortitude;
your fortitude score is equal to your archetype's base fortitude plus your constitution modifier, when an effect requiring a fortitude saving throw is used against you, you roll a d% and add your fortitude score to the result, if this exceeds the effect's DC you succeed on the save and usually take a reduced effect(effects of a successful save will be detailed in the effect's description)

Determining Resilience;
your resilience is equal to your armour's resilience bonus, plus an extra stacking +1 bonus to resilience for every five points above 10 your constitution score is, and any modifiers which apply.
When you take physical damage you may reduce that damage by an amount equal to one-half of your resilience score.

Togath
2012-07-14, 06:15 AM
Base Races;

Humans:
description;
humans are the second most populous race in Veneficus, though one of the newer ones to evolve, humans can be found in almost any environment, excluding perhaps the bottom of the ocean or depths of space, though some mages may make there homes there, surviving due to their magical capabilities.
statistics;
+1 to any base ability score, +1 to magic.
+2 archetype points
+1 to willpower saves against fear
Pack Bravery[passive racial ability]: humans gain a +2 to willpower saves against fear when fighting within 30ft. of another allied human.

Beetle-Folk/Kroaag:
description;
kroaag resemble humanoid rhinoceros beetles, with their back four legs acting to hold the creature upright, and it's front legs acting as four-fingered hands, which are more dexterous then those of a human or elf. Kroaag stand about 6 feet in height, and are usually black, very dark purple, or very dark blue in colour. They possess the front horn of a rhinoceros beetle, but, unlike the beetle, lack one behind their head. Kroaag are a fairly peaceful race, though they are not adverse to combat if it is necessary and excel at melee. Kroaag dwell mostly in cosmopolitan cities built by other races, or wander the lands as traveling merchants, usually selling herbs, potions, and pigments. Kroaag often enjoy painting, and many paint their chitin with bright colours, and many take up jobs as painters. Kroaag also possess a very keen sense of smell, and are skilled at alchemy and making perfume, often at least practicing one of those skills even if their main employment is something else.
statistics;
+1 to constitution, +1 to agility, +1 to intelligence, -1 to magic
+1 to fortitude saves
Hard Chitin[passive racial ability]: hard chitin grants a Kroaag a +1 bonus to damage resistance
Keen Scent[passive racial ability]: provides a +2 to attempts to craft perfume, or to craft liquid or gaseous alchemical substances.
Toughened Chitin(costs 1 archetype point to obtain)[passive racial ability]: grants an additional stacking +3 damage resistance

Álfr:
description;
Álfr somewhat resemble humans, but usually stand 6-7 feet in height and possess bear-like teeth.
Álfr have lean, muscled bodies and usually possess light coloured skin. An Álfr's hair is usually black or dark red, and male Álfr usually have thick beards, mustaches, and muttonchops. an Álfr's eyes are usually green or hazel, and they possess ears that come to a slight corner at their far point.
Álfr have a boisterous personality, and enjoy songs and wind instruments such as recorders or bagpipes.
Álfr mostly live in colder climates, and are renowned for their skilled fishermen and their berserker warriors.
statistics;
+1 strength, +1 magic
+1 to willpower saves
Wolf's Might[active racial ability]: for one action point an Álfr can fly into a frenzy for 5 rounds, gaining +1 to strength and agility, and gaining a +1 bonus to damage resistance, this ability is only usable once per hour.

UG: V2(utility golem: version 2)/RV2(robot, version 2)description;
RV2 are an artificial race, created originally by troll wizards to act as servants, however, they have since become a free race, at least in some nations.
RV2 look somewhat humanoid, standing about 6 feet in height, RV2 have long backward bending legs ending in four pronged feet(two facing backwards, two facing forwards). RV2 do not possess heads, instead having their sensory components houses in their chest, though it close enough to a head position to give a silhouette somewhat like a beheaded humanoid, as it resembles a stump of a neck, though rounded. The casing of an RV2 is made of metal plates interconnected to form an almost seamless shell, the metal used is usually steel that has been enchanted so as to not rust, but a few RV2 instead have a casing of pure gold, enchanted to be incredibly hard and resilient.
statistics;
-1 force-of-will
Golem Traits[passive racial ability]: immune to poison and disease,
and an RV2 does not need to breath, and is unaffected by high or low pressure environments.
RV2 Steel Shell[passive racial ability]: grants +2 to avoidance, and provides 4 damage resistance, this shell can be enchanted like armour, and prevents the RV2 from wearing armour(though an RV2 can still wear robes or clothing if it wants to).
RV2 Enhanced Steel Shell(costs 2 archetype points)[racial passive ability]: the RV2's avoidance and resistance from it's shell increases to +4 avoidance, and 8 damage resistance.
RV2 Enchanted Golden Shell(costs 4 archetype points)[racial passive ability]: the RV2's avoidance and resistance from it's shell increases to +6 avoidance, and 12 damage resistance.