PDA

View Full Version : looking for a system that supports changing players and GM

Mr White
2012-07-13, 06:58 AM
Like the tilte says, I'm looking for a rules ligth sytem that supports constantly changing players, and if possible GM, but still evokes some attachment to the characters or the story.

The goal is to start a PBP-game without the usual drawbacks caused by the slow progress and people pulling out.

Thanks in advance.

Totally Guy
2012-07-13, 08:46 AM
Check out Inspectres. It's a bit like Ghostbusters genre-wise, it plays a funny game of supernatural pest control.

The team that plays can be switched around each session within the same Inspecres franchise. The GMing can be done by a different person each session. A lot of the control that a GM traditionally has is done by the players when they roll successful skill rolls - a successful academic roll means that the player can say what the clue is and what it means.

Mr White
2012-07-13, 09:03 AM
Check out Inspectres...

Thanks for the suggestion.

This system still requires that the GM and the players remain for an entire story arc/mission. But some interesting mechanics nontheless. I'll need to read the rules more closely.

Keep other suggestions coming.

Grail
2012-07-13, 09:18 AM
SLA Industries.

Characters are operatives for a mega-corp that runs the universe. They form squads and do BPN's (Blue Print News files), or missions. Very episodic, missions can be very cushy tea and cake runs to hideous affairs of corporate intrigue, backstabbing, murder, assassination, or brutal combat waist deep in blood, gore and sewerage (yes sewerage) against cybernetic killing machines, rival powersuits etc.

The best thing is that the setting, being so corporate driven gives you the perfect tool for screwing with the group dynamics (read, slotting in new characters and taking them out).

The world is run by paperwork. Actually filling out paperwork is one of the most important skills a character can have, and the rulebook is full of example forms that characters need to fill out. Even getting a BPN requires paperwork and endless waiting.

BUT, because of the bureaucratic machine operatives can be assigned to incorrect departments, jobs, housing commission, off world, they can even be flagged as dead and whoops their SCL Badge and Ident don't work anymore - got to go get that sorted........ and they never come back again.

Really worked well when I've run long running campaigns. If a player wasn't able to front for a session, they were called away for paperwork reasons, or sometimes they had just been shot full of holes and had to spend time in hospital. It was really funny the time one character had applied for new accomodation and was given the address. He got all of his stuff, moved there only to find a vacant building site with a sign "Coming next year, Crimson Crescent Apartments!" He went back to his old digs, but they'd been already reassigned.

Lots of LOLs.

Anyway, I was going to tell you that you're in luck. The original rules used to be on RPGNow.com as a PDF for free, but it's been removed and replaced with 2e. Still, it's only 11 bucks. Has a very simple game system and it is IMO, the best game setting out there.

I love this game. I give it 13 thumbs up.
:smallbiggrin:

Tyndmyr
2012-07-13, 09:31 AM
Like the tilte says, I'm looking for a rules ligth sytem that supports constantly changing players, and if possible GM, but still evokes some attachment to the characters or the story.

The goal is to start a PBP-game without the usual drawbacks caused by the slow progress and people pulling out.

Thanks in advance.

3.5 can...see the recent Aldhaven game. It's location centric, so once you set up the location, and a good system for running the game, you can add replacement/assistant DMs, and if players cycle out, it's no big thing. Hell, the players are mostly independent, so nobody gets slowed down when someone vanishes.

So, find a location idea you really like that offers lots of plot hooks. That, in almost any system, is a good idea for avoiding char dependency.

Mr White
2012-07-13, 09:42 AM
SLA Industries.

3.5 can...see the recent Aldhaven game.

Thanks for the suggestions but I'm looking more for something that people can just drop in and start playing and drop out again after a few posts with a story that's as much player driven as it is GM driven.
(I know I'm asking a lot)

I just read a bit about Capes which seems interesting. Anybody have any experience with this game?

Grail
2012-07-13, 09:43 AM
No problems, wasn't quite sure what level of in/out you were after.

Have you thought of free-forming?

Mr White
2012-07-13, 10:36 AM
No problems, wasn't quite sure what level of in/out you were after.

Have you thought of free-forming?

I must admit that my experience as a GM isn't that great to start free-forming.

Tyndmyr
2012-07-13, 11:00 AM
Thanks for the suggestions but I'm looking more for something that people can just drop in and start playing and drop out again after a few posts with a story that's as much player driven as it is GM driven.
(I know I'm asking a lot)

I just read a bit about Capes which seems interesting. Anybody have any experience with this game?

The problem with player driven games is that they're generally substantially about the players themselves.

This isn't necessarily bad, but it doesn't play nice with the goal of having players be easily replaceable.

1337 b4k4
2012-07-13, 11:52 AM
SpyLite?

http://www2.abillionmonkeys.com:3389/spylite/

A micro game based on the SpyCraft games. Send spies on missions, each mission can be relatively self contained, so as long as your players can commit to seeing out a single mission you should be ok.