PDA

View Full Version : Epic of a Dying World (IC Thread)

Milo v3
2012-07-13, 08:01 AM
All five of you gazed at the monolith. It's very presence seemed destructive, yet nothing was happening. The air was still. No steps could be heard in the distance. All but one of you could hear your hearts pounding as if you were deathly afraid. But you weren't in fear.

"What you are seeing is a replica, which strangely still mimics the effects of the real thing. Wait... Memory.. Sorry I forgot it messes with minds, allow me to start over."

The voice was unexpected, and distracts you from the sight (which slowly fades out of existance). The voice belonged to the Eternal Bard. A strange enigmatic figure seen throughout history as a myth, he was said to have all the knowledge of the world and more.

But he was no myth. And from his appearance a fool.
The Eternal Bard looked no older than a teen, standing around 5 ft. and nine inches. He was lanky and thin, having no visable muscle. He wore a black tunic with strange blue runes upon it, and a black leather jacket over it. His face was pale and seemed to hold joy within it, despite still showing innate intelligence. Curly blonde hair trailed down his back as he walked around the room.

Around you stood four others, and like you each had been called by the Myth. Each called to this Carthian castle full of strangely well armed sentient skeletons.

"Luckily you have strong minds, or you likely wouldn't even remember who you are instead of missing bits of my monologue. And it is because of the strength you have; mental, physical, and magical; that I have called you here.

As you are hopefully aware, there has been talk of a new race invading the land. This is sadly true, and they have already begun to destroying the nations of this world.

They are known as Koria and they emerged from a monolith similiar to the forgery I showed you. They have various different appearances, and are highly mutable in skill.

I would like to ask you to stop them. They can't be defeated by armies, only by destroying certain objects tying them to this world. I have located a few of these objects, the nearest lies in a marsh south of this keep.

So will you assist me in this endevour?"

HoodyC17
2012-07-13, 11:07 AM
Hurik glanced around and observed her surroundings before returning her gaze to the apparent myth when he finished. This wasn't right. She was meant to be back at her keep, preparing for war as she thought about how everything wasn't right and how she was meant to be back at her estate and everything would be a dream while she thought how everything wasn't right how because she had the least of her pare-

She stopped immediately when she realised she was rambling within her own thoughts again. Her right hand made contact with her hair and she began to comb her short black with her fingers but this nervous habit was unnoticed by everyone due to the darkness consuming her. At least their were so benefits.

"You know," she awkwardly began, "I was sort of in the middle of my vengeful reclaimation of my rightful land and I do believe you value our longevity."

Her sights returned to the monolith to keep herself focued. She had many, many questions and they ranged from the standard "who are you?" and "what are you?" to the very inappropriate "do those tattoos reach your small clothes?" aimed at tan, yellowed eyed woman of the five of them.

A sigh of weariness escaped her lips, "So... Is there a 'I need to kill my sister before she kills me' option? Well... Kill me again I mean."

RadicalTurnip
2012-07-13, 01:10 PM
Its presence had been an illusion? It seemed so real. His Vision Arcana had not detected the trickery. And he had...felt it, Feyqual thought. He wasn't certain what it was, but he didn't like it.

Feyqual looked around. Strength? Perhaps. Some look extraordinary, some merely impressive. I can fit in here he thinks to himself. One figure, difficult to see, seemed unnaturally cloaked in shadow. He didn't need his arcane sight to tell that it was magical, even his darkvision played tricks with the shadow. It should have unnerved him, but instead it reminded him of home. The talk of vengeance sealed the likeness in his mind.

Impressive how he had chosen to leave of his own accord, and yet most of his memories that persisted over the last fifty years were good ones...

"Nations come and go, they concern me not; but this land is ours, and I will not give it easily." Feyqual said, his speech seemed both archaic and slightly accented. "If assistance it is you require, then I will give it. Tell me what you know of these...Koria" He tasted the word, and decides he didn't like it. "I have turned up few hints in my own small research."

The dark skin of his face and of his hands poking from the sleeves of his robe and gripping a gnarled staff seemed nearly purple in the bright sunlight. Despite the darkened goggles he wore, he still squinted at the sun and briefly glanced with longing at the area of darkness. Ioun stones floated lazily around his head and a small shield half-a-foot from his left arm. He looked inquisitive more than worried, as if this were a mystery to uncover more than a challenge to be met.

greenpotato
2012-07-13, 06:52 PM
A dry smile creeps onto the face of Autumncloud.
"I will.. help you" she directs at the eternal bard, stopping halfway through the sentence to think.
She takes in the other four that stand in the room. "It seems those assembled here.. are quite the capable bunch" Her smile vanishes when she looks a bit more closely at Hurik. You note her posture changes and she takes a step backwards but says nothing else.

tonberrian
2012-07-13, 08:42 PM
A maiden steps forward, in simple temple clothing. She stands straight, her eyes piercing and glowing with a gentle holy light. "Is there no treating with them? Can we not sue for peace?"

Milo v3
2012-07-13, 10:29 PM
Casting a sarcastic grin at Hurik.
"Strangely I value the existance of a multiverse higher than a piece of land within that multiverse. Also if your sister tries to rekill you then I don't mind if you stop her. Getting killed wont exactly help especially with the afterlife and all that.

And don't worry Autumncloud, she wont bite. I wouldn't be surprised if she hadn't feed for years."

"And sadly the Koria will not allow peace. But to say why I must first answer Feyqual. These creatures came from beyond the Far Realm, a place which connects with other places, other material planes. In that "Land" they try to create perfection. And they try alot. The result being multiple existances.

But each thing in an existance is meant to be in that existance, if it isn't then problems occur, and chaos happens, etcetra etcetra. Now a being from another place arrived in this one. According to them, this place is now tainted. So they are here to remove the tainted world.

So they will stop at effectively nothing, to kill every living and unliving and plant thingy. Unless they can't keep themselves in the world. If that happens then they can't kill anything."

RadicalTurnip
2012-07-13, 11:21 PM
Feyqual seemed stumped by Azrial, The Eternal Bard had chosen her as a being of power. She was perhaps even nearly as powerful as he, but he doubted even his own strength without the help of at least a few magical trinkets. Perhaps she was an aescetic, a monk or something. That had to be it. Or perhaps she relied solely on either magic or psionics. He supposed that wouldn't be unheard of.

While he turned his attention back to The Eternal Bard, Feyqual jutted his jaw forward slightly, almost biting his upper lip. Likely, it was simply an involuntary habit of deep thought. You speak of these Koria as if they are the creators of other material plains? We are dealing, then, with gods? After a slight hesitation, he continued And what of this other creature that has breached the veil between our two worlds? Is it a threat? What is its purpose here and does it know anything about the Koria?

And you, our host, The Eternal Bard, how have you learned of this information? What information do we have, and what information do we yet need?

HoodyC17
2012-07-13, 11:53 PM
Did Hurik hear correctly? Multiverse? That does sound important. Too important for her to play a role in.

"Look... You must have mistaken me for someone else. Although I admit that seems unlikely since the 'does not feed' description applies to me but," don't start rambling again Hurik, "I think you could do better than me considering the preparations to reclaim that 'piece of land' was quite difficult for me."

Difficult was an understatement and she can't even begin to imagine what kind of a hellish nightmare it would be to save the multiverse.

"The multiverse!" She exclaimed suddenly as a way of reinforcing her point. "Shouldn't this be under the jurisdiction of the Gods?"

Milo v3
2012-07-14, 12:44 AM
"Not gods. Very different to gods. More eldritch. And they didn't create this realm. Its more a side-effect of another source which they worship.

That other creature, is no threat. It simply wished to view this world. As for how I knew all this information, lets just say despite my young appearance I've been around for a long long long time.

As for the gods assistance. They can't directly intervene with these creatures. Part of a mind thingy. Which strangely caused the gods to create clerics, even though they didn't know the rule, I'm guessing it was in there subconscious.

And don't worry, you are the people I think you are. Unless your strangely good with mind-effecting magic. Which I doubt you are."

greenpotato
2012-07-14, 01:10 AM
"How did these objects that tie them here.. come into being?" Autumncloud asks while keeping a wary eye on the vampire "Are they an intrusion or a construction by misguided followers? Ans is it as simple as hitting them.. to destroy them?"

Milo v3
2012-07-14, 01:25 AM
"When a mortal's mind touchs the Far Realm there is a small chance that a bit of what is beyond is visable to the mortal. Generally they go insane from this, but some go insane and try and recreate the image. Effigies which are perfect duplicates are the objects. Fortunately there has only been a few successful effigies created, most are just made with sticks, dirt, and bone.

Most should be easy to destroy, and I've already sent out some of my minions to break any they find. But there are several they aren't able to destroy.

These several are being guarded by the Koria, my cohorts can't get anywhere near them."

HoodyC17
2012-07-14, 09:42 AM
Another sigh escaped Hurik's lips, this one more drawn out and it resembled a irritated moan. The task being forced on her was already daunting and it was bound to get worse, she knew it will, her luck was never good. She began massaging the stress away from her forehead.

"Tell me," she released another sigh, this one short, but somehow managed to carry equal frustration,"what happened to the mortals who created the effigies? And why aren't these effigies of mortal make destroyed by the Koria?"

If the Koria had deemed their effigies to be tainted than she wouldn't have to be here and her life would be significantly less complicated. She doubted the Enternal Bard's answer would be "because it would be too easy" but she knew that's what her luck was giving her.

Milo v3
2012-07-14, 09:58 AM
"Those mortals were slaughtered while trying to pray to their murderers. And the Koria wouldn't destroy the effigies as they are holding them to this world. If they destroyed them, they couldn't "cleanse" the world of taint."

whoiam
2012-07-14, 10:16 AM
"Questions!"

Finally, their fifth 'recruit' chimes into the conversation. An old elven lady, she was a touch above average height for her people, but looked almost painfully thin and frail. She seemed less to be wearing her white robe, and more like she'd been swallowed whole by it. The expression on her face looked half-way between chronically worried and utterly bemused - she gave the impression of being one of the least formidable people in existence, some kindly old grandmother who'd been dragged into the meeting by mistake.

It also didn't help her image much that she was absent-mindedly patting at her robe as though searching for something.

"The big one is, can the Koria replace lost or damaged effigies? And if so, how difficult is the process? If they can whip up a batch of fresh ones over a weekend, then our five-being hit-squad's pretty useless."

What broke the 'little old lady' (admittedly 'elven old' instead of 'human old' - she looked like a young elf, but a touch more ethereal) impression was her voice. It requires a certain level of self-confidence to become as powerful a wizard as she was, and she wasn't even bothering to keep this from her voice.

"Other than that, can effigies be moved? If they're fixed locations than they're easy enough to track, as you doubtless have already proven. If they're mobile... it's still possible, I did the equivalent in a couple of normal wars when I was young. You dangle a threat or a prize in front of their noses and watch how they gather, which points they protect and which they strip bare of defences. But we'd need an awful lot more scouts than we seem to have... and an army at their front to keep them from simply fortifying their vulnerable points."

Finally having located what she'd been searching for, the elf extracted a small notepad and a pencil from an inner pocket. She grinned sheepishly as she did so, commenting "I'm sorry, I don't normally need to keep notes, but this place is playing merry havoc with my memory. I hope that's just a temporary thing."

Pencil poised over the paper, she switches back from sheepish apology to normal questions.

"Then a few boring ones - how strong, skilled or magical is the average Koria? If we're at or below average to them, this is going to make for a very exciting - and brief - career as universal saviors. Do you already have a map of the effigies we'll need to visit? Do you have any details on their defences beyond 'tough'?"

RadicalTurnip
2012-07-14, 10:23 AM
Feyqual steped slightly aside, allowing others to question The Eternal Bard. He did not mistrust the bard, but he also would not fully trust him, either. Not this soon. Not when they had only just met him.

So we have a difficult problem with a simple solution. Destroy the Effigies. His tone made it clear that when he said simple, he did not mean easy. After this, his feet lifted off the ground and he separated himself slightly from the group, indicating his willingness to follow The Eternal Bard's prompting to the first Effigy without rushing the other members. They each had their own questions to ask to satisfy themselves.

Normally, this Eternal Bard fellow seemed like a good person to try some sort of practical joke on: but the circumstances were all wrong: the situation too serious and his character too unknown. He seemed to type that could take it well, but Feyqual would watch and see.

Milo v3
2012-07-15, 08:21 AM
"They are only allowed to create one, and luckily they forged it era's ago so it wasn't hard to locate it. I currently have a brigade sent to destroy it.

In regard to mobility. Most of the effigies are light enough to be moved, though too large to be moved without it being cumbersome and slow. They likely are moving them, but its pace and the pace of the army will be slow.

As for an army, I currently have over twenty two thousand soldiers under my command. And they are perfectly willing to die for this cause but have the talent to succeed in any siege or battle of attrition."

"The Koria, they are stronger than most mortals in terms of strength and endurance. The have slower minds though, making their actions sluggish until they repeat the action. This doesn't imply them to be of feeble intelligence though, they are highly intelligent in general.

They don't have much magical prowess only begining to learning it even existed two hundred years ago. They learn quickly though so a few might have arcane talent. But most will likely be only elite grunts."

"And lastly, for the map and defensives. I am slowly locating all of them, so far I've found two which function, apart from the one I mentioned earlier. The closest is east of this Fortress, in a marsh called Morning Wood. The terrain is generally hard to traverse but has a large amount of wood. So they likely have a structure formed of wood, but it might be infused with magic because the monolith is likely highly protected. They likely wont be expecting an assault, so you can get in during the confusion of my army attacking.

That wont give you much time though."

whoiam
2012-07-15, 09:00 AM
"So any clever plans we come up with have a decent chance of catching the Koria off-balance in the first instance, but if we repeat a tactic they've had time to study they'll likely have created a counter to it? That's not a bad situation to be in."

Indeed, she was smiling as she said it.

"I'm glad they only discovered magic two centuries ago. It makes me feel warm inside to realise I've been practising magic longer than an entire civilization."

And the smile was ever-so-slightly-smug at this point.

"Just out of curiosity, that 'only allowed to create one'... is that 'one ever' or 'one at a time'? Not of *major* concern to our campaign, " She'd never explicitly said so, but it ought to be clear by this point that the elf was willing to fight, "but if they can replace just that one Effigy then we should probably leave it to last, destroy the ones they cannot replace first.

Do we have time to do any scouting or scrying before your army reaches its position? Or do we need to rush into place and make this first mission up as we go along?"

Milo v3
2012-07-15, 07:17 PM
"Fortunately that's once ever. Also because of the amazingly slow progress of the Koria you should have a fair amount of time before they leave the marsh."

tonberrian
2012-07-15, 07:36 PM
"If what you say is true, then this is a terrible threat. We should not delay, and head toward the swamp to defeat this scourge!"

greenpotato
2012-07-15, 07:50 PM
"I... agree" says Autumncloud.

RadicalTurnip
2012-07-15, 08:37 PM
The swamp, then. Feyqual states with a nod.

My only worry lies with this army. Need so many give their lives for but a distraction? Certainly I do not relish the idea of facing an army with only these companions, untested to me. He gestures, palm up with an inclusive arm-wave that encompasses the assembled people. But if it is necessary, unless the army is equivalent to that of the armies of the Abyss or stronger, then I feel that it shant be too much trouble to either deceive or destroy them myself. And if it is such an army, are your soldiers able-bodied and strong enough to even pose a threat? Do you have twenty-two thousand exceptional individuals, or would they be simply an afternoon's entertainment? If you think it best to send them, then I will heed to your strategy, as I enter the playing field blinded from ignorance of the situation. However, if there is a way to hold the army in reserve, perhaps for a time better suited to an army's efforts, then I purpose that we do just that.

Feyqual is obviously unhappy about both gambling twenty-two thousand lives as a distraction, and about having an entire army of unknown creatures with nothing better to do than guard the very thing he is attempting to destroy.

I agree that she, with this, Feyqual points to the old elven woman seems to have the right of it. Some scrying and perhaps scouting could clarify this situation immensely if we were able to better understand our opposition.

Milo v3
2012-07-15, 09:48 PM
"Within my army lies colossal creatures of shadow, wraiths which have dwelt in this world for longer than most mortals, ancient priests of the desert, serpents of bone, and trained skeletal mages and warriors.

In addition as long as I live so shall each soldier in my army."

RadicalTurnip
2012-07-15, 11:08 PM
Feyqual blinked a few times, and began laughing. A deep throaty bellow that left him wheezing by the end of it. Well then! he said cheerfully lets send them in!

The laughter was genuine, but behind it Feyqual was mentally kicking himself, and had to remind himself to not underestimate a creature out of timeless legend again. His respect and wariness also both went up dramatically. Respect because of the obvious power that the Bard had not flaunted, and wariness because Necromancy, while not an art he necessarily despised, does tend to attract a certain sort of person. This reminded him of some of those other memories of home.

His grin, however, did not falter, and he seemed much more relaxed. I have prepared for scrying, if need be. Unfortunately it only works for scrying on creatures, and the ritual takes around an hour to complete. Do we have any names or objects from the guardians, perhaps? If not I'm afraid it will require actually going nearer.

HoodyC17
2012-07-18, 05:00 AM
Hurik wasn't a very trusting person but what would the Eternal Bard gain from manipulating the strongest individuals of Carthia... Wait...

Maybe it would be better to think of it through a simple perspective. Nations are falling. People are dying. And he is offering to help. There, that's easy. Except due to her three years of hiding and "allergy" to sunlight, she has no idea what the Koria was until today and everyone else seems more levelheaded than she is. In fact she doesn't know who everyone else is and what creature this Eternal Bard is to have such a long life.

"A lich!" A deep, unnatural voice echoed from Hurik's body.

"What?!" Hurik screamed as Hawke's sudden accusation startled her. She calmed herself quickly and let out an awkward cough before repeating herself. "I mean: What?"

"I sense that his soul is tethered to another place but blood still flows through his veins... It appears that he used a modified version of the lich transformation ritual." The heirloom contemplated.

Ego Check (DC: 24)
1d20+22
6+22 = 28

Hawke's Knowledge (Arcane) Check
1d20+14
19+14 = 33

Milo v3
2012-07-18, 05:15 AM
"Ah. Your ally seems to have detected my nature. I was hoping it wouldn't be so apparent, for the sake of the naturally inclined amoung us.

I hope that my undead nature doesn't change anything."

greenpotato
2012-07-18, 08:03 AM
"You must be... quite a bit more powerful than a standard lich" Autumncloud muses "To bring us here on but a whim. If I did have an objection to your nature I surmise that there is aught I could do about it"

Milo v3
2012-07-18, 08:18 AM
A grin grew as the primal arcanist spoke.
"Most liches are restricted by merely seeking knowledge. I see no point in finding knowledge I don't use, so I modified the ritual to suit my needs.

Also it wasn't a whim which called you here, a whim would greatly underestimate the epic nature of the task. But I understand what you meant."

RadicalTurnip
2012-07-18, 08:39 AM
Feyqual nodded at the revelation of the Bard's nature. That made sense. The unease that was in his stomach, however, was not quite so accepting. He had fought liches. Lots of them. He had never teamed up with any, and had often seen the terror and destruction they had caused. Universally, he had thought, Liches were beasts to be cleansed from the world. This Bard seemed to be their only lifeline toward a path to saving the world, but that didn't make it *easy* to work with one.

Feyqual resolved to be wary, be careful, but go with the Bard's leading. He could control his own fears and worries. He could account for most of the bias they would put on his thinking, and he could cooperate and be focused on any outside threat that may present itself, while still maybe not fully committing his trust and his life to the Lich.

Lich or no, these creatures need to be stopped. Shall we to the swamp, or do we have the accouterments necessary for scrying?

Milo v3
2012-07-18, 08:55 AM
The Eternal Bard could hear the worried thoughts implied by Feyqual's tone.
"I have a small lake under my balacony and have several mirrors, they should be suitable focuses for any scrying spells required."

RadicalTurnip
2012-07-18, 09:16 PM
A mirror is precisely what I require. Feyqual states, looking to the other members of the impromptu party for their willingness to wait an hour for a scrying spell.

tonberrian
2012-07-20, 10:20 PM
"Hold. What manner of sorcery binds these creatures to your... life?"

Milo v3
2012-07-21, 04:01 AM
"This is why I hoped my nature would remain unnoticed. I use two things, necromancy and loyalty."

RadicalTurnip
2012-07-23, 09:31 AM
Having already decided for himself that it was necessary to work with The Eternal Bard even if he was a necromancer-lich, Feyqual quietly sighed at the delay of their plans. Ah well, he thinks to himself The world shall have to wait a few moments longer. Feyqual moved a few steps away, again indicating his willingness to go.

tonberrian
2012-07-27, 10:37 PM
"Very well. Presumably, we have more pressing things to deal with. But I am ever watchful."

whoiam
2012-08-02, 04:35 PM
"So, now that that's settled, I believe there was some talk of scrying to be done?"

Turning to Feyqual, she extracted a small silver coin from one of her pockets. "I've long since prided myself on my scrying ability, and you've also prepared the necessary spell today. So... you want to call the coin, winner gets to keep their prepared spell?"

RadicalTurnip
2012-08-02, 06:17 PM
Call the coin?
Ah yes, I shall choose heads. Feyqual watches with a slight grin on his face, considering whether he wants to cheat or not.

Finally, he decides against it, and nods to Alexis to continue.

Milo v3
2012-08-02, 06:22 PM
The coin flips throw the air.
[roll0]

RadicalTurnip
2012-08-03, 12:27 AM
Feyqual grins, glad he didn't cheat, and gestures with his hand to Alexis to proceed. It's all yours.

whoiam
2012-08-04, 03:26 PM
Alexis chooses to accept her 'victory' graciously.

"Too kind, you're too kind. " Offering Feyqual a bow and struggling mightily to keep a straight face as she did so.

"Now, I recall there being mention of a balcony and a lake? I think that would be the best place to begin. If we use a mirror it's just going to remind me how long it was since I last brushed my hair... I do tend to lose track of time when I'm reading. Anyway! To the Balcony!"

Milo v3
2012-08-04, 05:44 PM
The Eternal Bard slowly walks over to the door and opens it for his guest. The young man waits for all to pass through, then starts to walk through the halls.

He stops at a stone balcony overlooking a dark azure lake, atop its surface the clear night sky was reflected.
"I have a patch of hair and a shred of armour from a Koria which should still be at that base, I believe it will help with the scrying."

whoiam
2012-08-12, 06:20 AM
"Then you may as well go get them now: I don't think any of us really want to sit through watching me scry twice."

Milo v3
2012-08-12, 06:50 AM
A slightly bewildered grin was conjured upon the Bard's face. Swiftly he reaches into his pockets and reveals a twisted shard of metal and a few strands of pale white hair.
"What I meant was that I have these objects, which should focus your scrying. They came from a Koria who should still be at the stronghold."

whoiam
2012-08-12, 08:47 AM
With a grin of her own (less confused and more apologetic), Alexis takes the two items from their host. "I did not realise you had them about your person: I assumed you meant they were in storage. I'm sorry, but this place is clouding my mind somewhat. In more ways than one. I cannot scry in this water, I'm afraid. I really should have remembered the difference between a wizard's scry and a druid's. I'll need to use one of the mirrors."
Actually that was my screw-up, but the bard's place playing havoc with the character's memories gives a good excuse for why Alexis would have forgotten the limits of her own powers...
<After they relocate to a mirror>

"Apologies for that. I hope whatever effect you have in this place that fogs peoples' minds won't last too much longer. Anyway, I'll get on with it now."

At which point she begins her casting... and counter to Feyqual's expectations of a one hour casting time, is finished in a bare few seconds.

Greater Scrying instead of Normal Scrying, so a standard action casting time. Save DC is 44, and I believe the modifier works out as +0 (+10 for Alexis not knowing the Koria she's scrying, -10 for having a piece of the Koria's hair.)

RadicalTurnip
2012-08-12, 09:25 PM
Ahh, excellent. Feyqual says, noticing that it is the more powerful version.

So?

Milo v3
2012-08-12, 09:47 PM
As you gaze into the mirror your eyes seem to focus into it and block out the rest of the world.

Through the mirror lies a wooden fortress, surrounded by willow trees, each at the edge of a marshy river. A white haired man adorned in a silver platemail armour stood in a small tower over the the keeps porticullis and entrance.

He had red flesh, with an orange tint forming faint lines upon his face.

Behind him lay a courtyard below and a balcony overlooking it. Several of the Koria walked along, nearly all appearing like the focus of your magic, but some had sanguine lines instead of orange, appearing more like tattoos.

In the center of the courtyard lay a stone well full of a dark and thick sludge. Around the stone stood three females who wore blue tunics. Bleak grey electricity surged from their palms into the well.

To the focus's left and right stood guard towers. Each held around four Koria, each armed with what appeared to be bows made of bone.

Sorry for the delay. I'm sick at home so I've been a bit slower than usual.