PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a recommendation

Daremonai
2012-07-13, 08:04 AM
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a good hack & slash game with open character creation/progress (i.e. Skill-based or crossover between classes) PC, PS3 or X360 are all ok, but Skyrim just isn't scratching this particular itch.

Any suggestions?

Kesnit
2012-07-13, 09:13 AM
Kingdoms of Amalor: Reckoning.

Triscuitable
2012-07-13, 04:20 PM
Fable III is good, and if you'd like to replace "hack and slash with tedious questing and a repetitive grind" with "absolutely insane gameplay that can't take itself seriously for five seconds with crazy-ass gunplay and vehicles", go with Saint's Row: The Third.

Tavar
2012-07-13, 05:36 PM
Path of Exile is an A-RPG that might do it, and best of all it's free.

factotum
2012-07-14, 12:54 AM
Titan Quest and its expansion. They're both available cheap in the Steam sale right now!

(The way the character system works: there are 8 masteries, each with their own selection of skills. You choose one of these masteries at level 2, and other one a bit later; I forget exactly when. That means there are 56 possible unique mastery combinations you can have, and each mastery has a whole raft of different skills to play with, so there's an enormous amount of variety there).

Cespenar
2012-07-14, 04:04 AM
Kingdoms of Amalor: Reckoning.

Yes, this is a good suggestion. Even I, as a non-hack-and-slash-enthusiast, found the game pretty enjoyable. The instant retrain option is a very good decision as well. Let's you try different builds throughout the length of the game, and reduces boredom by a lot.

Triaxx
2012-07-15, 07:39 AM
Sacred 1 is tons of fun, especially if you get the Gold Edition with the Expansion. Sacred 2 is supposed to be fun, but I haven't played it.

S1 is like Diablo, though it's all abilities without skill trees involved. Nothing is as much fun as a Gust of Wind Mage. Takes a couple of runes to get it up to snuff, but once it's there, there's nothing that can stop it with one annoying exception, but that just requires more juice.

factotum
2012-07-15, 12:25 PM
I really didn't like Sacred, simply because you can't just pick what skills you want to use--you have to rely on finding the appropriate pickups to unlock the skills, and you can generally guarantee that the pickup for the one skill you really want to finish your character build will never, ever drop.

Daremonai
2012-07-17, 05:53 AM
Thanks for your suggestions - I'll give them a try :)

Triaxx
2012-07-17, 06:20 AM
Actually you could simply take four of the not yours runes and exchange them at a wizard for the one you need.

factotum
2012-07-17, 03:27 PM
Actually you could simply take four of the not yours runes and exchange them at a wizard for the one you need.

Can you? I never knew you could do that...d'oh!