PDA

View Full Version : Swarm-shifter Warforged BBEG help.

Bloodgruve
2012-07-13, 09:29 AM
I'm starting a gaming club in my small town here and will be running a campaign. I'm looking to build a couple BBEG's with exit strategies. They will be working to free an imprisoned Daelkyr so I want them to be kinda creepy and easily recurring.

I was thinking of a swarm mechanic that would allow the consciousness of the creature to carry on even if it has been mostly destroyed allowing the smallest component of the swarm to escape and regroup. I've found the Swarm-Shifter template which is for undead but I don't see why I couldn't adjust it to living construct NPC. Would this be the way to go or is there a better option out there?

Also, if I had a party of four 3rd level PC's what CR would you set your BBEG at so its a manageable challenge but not easily killed? Swarm-shifter adds 1CR. I know this is very dependent on party and scenario.

TYVM for your input,
Blood~

Madara
2012-07-13, 10:25 AM
Swarm Shifter would certainly be pretty awesome, just pick a flying swarm. As for appropriate CR, I'd go with 4 on this one, depending on the party make-up.

Because the party is level 3, all spellcasters just got 2nd level spells. At level 4, they will continue to have 2nd level spells.

There isn't much difference between levels 3 and 4, which is why you can choose a slightly higher CR. He'll have low hp for that CR anyway because of the template not adding HD.

Bloodgruve
2012-07-13, 12:34 PM
If I were to take a base class with Evasion would the creature retain the ability in swarm form?

What could I do to increase the damage or effect of the swarm attack?

TY

Blood~

Madara
2012-07-13, 08:22 PM
If I were to take a base class with Evasion would the creature retain the ability in swarm form?

What could I do to increase the damage or effect of the swarm attack?

TY

Blood~

Yes he would.

I suggest Improved Natural Attack, that seems like it would apply.

Bloodgruve
2012-07-14, 06:28 AM
What's a slippery base class with Evasion? I'm thinking Rogue2/Shadowcaster3/Child of Night 10 possibly using a shadowcaster fix. I know this isn't the strongest option but I'll never play a shadowcaster as a PC :P

Also he will be supported by a Ghost templated Dolgaunt and eventually a Daelkyr.

Any input is appreciated,

Blood~