PDA

View Full Version : Level 11 Fighter Death Knight

Mandrake
2012-07-13, 10:23 AM
Hi!

I was thinking a long while about this, started the post and quit and so on, seeing to what it would lead and changing my mind in the process.

In the end, it simply comes to this, I guess, and, although I feel bad for claiming rewards for another man's work (fun work, especially) I will have to ask someone here for a favor. I tried designing a level 11 Fighter Death Knight with plate armor and a heavy shield wielding a longsword, but I seem to mess up somewhere. I don't have any builders, special knowledge, sources or time to finish that up. So can anyone, please, help me out here? I'd appreciate it a lot.

Badgerish
2012-07-13, 10:29 AM
(Weaponmaster) Fighter or Knight?

When you say 'Death Knight', is this arcane/necromantic magic or evil-divine magic?

Race?

What's the focus? Damage/defence/defending/mixed?

Are there any particular tricks you want to pull off?

This is a PC not an NPC, right?

edit: what secondary stats do you want?

Ashdate
2012-07-13, 10:42 AM
What is the problem you're having exactly? Is there something specific you want to do to pretend being a "Death Knight", or do you just want to feel bad-ass in heavy plate and worshiping an evil god?

Plate Armor can be gotten with a single feat, so that shouldn't be a problem, and Fighters can wield heavy shield naturally.

For the "Death Knight" part, you can maybe get something thematic with either a theme or your paragon path. I would look into either the Infernal Slave theme (Book of Vile Darkness) or the Student of Evard (Dragon #400) as both can deal necrotic damage, but perhaps you had in mind something else?

For paragon paths, you could look into either "Doomlord" (Heroes of Elemental Chaos) or "Idol of Darkness" (qualify with a multi-class paladin or cleric feat; Book of Vile Darkness). Others might work.

Finally, you could just make a Paladin Blackguard (Heroes of Shadow) to get something that would likely have a lot of the feel of a death knight.

Tegu8788
2012-07-13, 07:31 PM
As I understand it the cleric can get some necrotic powers, and have good AC with battle cleric's lore. Use some Str powers and you can wield a big two handed in melee. No idea how good it actually is, but it's an option.

Other choice would be to heavily MC into wizard for necromancy powers, but I hear they are rubbish.

Mandrake
2012-07-14, 11:04 AM
Thanks for replying, first, and for your enthusiasm, second.

I always forget that you can't know as much as OP, so here goes:

an NPC is in matter (thought a Death Knight must be an NPC, there goes that; hope this doesn't diminish your interest, he is as important to me as a PC :smallcool:), he is Human, meant the Template from DMG (failed gruesomely when making), but anything better you know is for sure welcome, non-essential Fighter, focus on damage and leading and as for special tricks (:smallbiggrin:) some sort of minion summoning would be great.

If it were a PC I'd have no trouble, I suppose, since I'd fluff him up and make him fun, no need for balancing him or making him cheesy. But since it should be an 11th level elite I just can't crunch the numbers down, repeatedly.

Thanks again, even if only for these posts.

Ashdate
2012-07-14, 11:52 AM
Do you have a D&D insider account?

Your best bet is to simply grab a level 11 elite that has already been made and modify it/refluff it (particularly easy with the old "Adventure Tool" Monster creator). For examples, you could slightly modify a Battle Wight Bodyguard (Level 11 Elite Soldier, Dungeon 163) to something like this:

Death Knight Guy Level 11 Elite Soldier
Medium natural humanoid (undead) XP 1,200
HP 230; Bloodied 115
AC 29; Fortitude 26; Reflex 22; Will 23
Speed 5
Immune disease, poison; Resist necrotic; Vulnerability 5 radiant
Saving Throws +2; Action Points 1
Initiative +9
Perception +4
Darkvision

Traits
Indomitable Presence
Each time Death Knight guy attacks an enemy, the target is marked until the end of the Death Knight Guy's next turn.
Shieldbearer
Allies adjacent to the Death Knight Guy gain a +2 power bonus to AC.

Standard Actions
(m) Souldraining Longsword (necrotic, weapon) • At-Will
Attack: +18 vs. AC
Hit: 2d8 + 7 necrotic damage, and the target loses 1 healing surge and is immobilized (save ends).

(C) Soul Reaping (healing, necrotic) • Recharge 6
Attack: Burst 5 (affects immobilized targets only); +16 vs. Fortitude
Hit: 3d8 + 5 necrotic damage, and the Death knight guy regains 10 hit points for each target hit.

Minor Actions
Raise Spirits of the Damned (summoning) • At-Will
Requirements: No more than 5 Legion Devil Hellguards may be in combat at once.
Effect: Death Knight guy raises 1d4 undead shades. Treat these as Legion Devil Hellguards (Monster Manual 1) that are considered to be Undead instead of Immortal, and with resist 10 necrotic instead of resist 10 fire.

Triggered Actions
(M) Chosen Target (weapon) • At-Will
Effect (Immediate Interrupt): The Death Knight Guy makes a Souldraining Longsword attack against the triggering creature.

Skills Intimidate +15
Str 21 (+10) Dex 14 (+7) Wis 9 (+4)
Con 19 (+9) Int 12 (+6) Cha 21 (+10)
Alignment evil*****Languages Common

(© 2010 Wizards of the Coast LLC, a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc. All rights reserved. This formatted statistics block has been generated using the D&D Adventure Tools.)

I don't know the strength of your party (and I'm running a level 15 game, so I'm not in the headspace for level 11 encounters), but you can modify that as desired.

Badgerish
2012-07-14, 12:14 PM
I was just about the suggestion a modified "Battle Wight Bodyguard" (with more damage, the listed original one is terrible!) but I have been beaten to it.

Two slight edits:
Resistances should be: 10 Necrotic
Add the following line to Chosen Target: "Trigger: When a marked enemy shifts or makes an attack that does not include the Battle Wight Bodyguard."

If you really want to use the 'Death Knight' Template from the DMG; replace "Shieldbearer" with "Marshal Undead" and replace "Soul Reaping" with "Unholy Flames"

Mandrake
2012-07-14, 12:51 PM
Thanks a lot, this is appears to be most helpful. The problem is I don't have Insider and am short on many resources. Thanks!