PDA

View Full Version : A system for a Star Wars game

Desril
2012-07-13, 12:16 PM
I'm thinking of starting up an Old Republic game for my group, more or less following the events of KotOR, the problem is, I don't know what system would work best for it.

I don't really want to have it be a FATE based campaign because I know that I'd end up getting lazy on it and honestly I haven't figured out a way to balance what one can and can't do in FATE.

I've heard good things about GURPS, but one of my group is opposed to the entire system because he's annoyed at the friend that likes it, so he despises it on principal despite having never played it.

I've heard the D20 system for SW is clunky but functional, and 3.5e is what my group knows best, but a different member of the group hates D20 because it's not "realistic" enough for him.

What's the playground's advice and opinions on what system makes the best Star Wars game?

snoopy13a
2012-07-13, 12:34 PM
I really liked the old West End Games D6 one. It is out of print, but I'm sure you could find the books for that off of e-bay or something.

Although, the force-user rules can get clunky. It is somewhat difficult to make your force-user effective (the game is skill-based so you don't "level" but rather become more proficient in skills), but when you do so then that character is very powerful. Overall, I think the game is better suited for non-force user characters than force users.

The game doesn't not require or even encourage characters to be balanced though. Template characters included protocol droids and twelve-year-old kids.

HamHam
2012-07-13, 12:37 PM
Star Wars SAGA.

TheThan
2012-07-13, 12:42 PM
star wars saga is what your looking for. its far superior to the older D20 versions.

its also arguably the best D20 system to date. its really fantastic, i strongly suggest you look into it.

Mando Knight
2012-07-13, 12:47 PM
That's not to say it doesn't have its quirks... including occasionally ridiculous prices on Amazon due to being out of print...

There's a new Star Wars RPG in development by a relatively unknown publisher, but it's fallen off my radar so I don't know how it's doing.

Siegel
2012-07-13, 12:58 PM
It's by Fantasy Flight Games, they are not "relatively unknown".

Binks
2012-07-13, 01:43 PM
Another vote here for Saga edition. It's quite possibly the best RPG system I've ever played (which is not to say it doesn't have its own flaws).

You might be thinking of the Revised Core Rulebook d20 Star Wars RPG, which was a bit clunky but functional. Saga is a lot better IMHO and I recommend you give it a look.

LibraryOgre
2012-07-13, 02:19 PM
Personally, I'd go with d6 Space. It's available for free, and it is compatible with the large amount of WEG Star Wars material.

You might also look at Savage Worlds. It is, IMO, a nicely cinematic system, and easy to adapt to various settings. I haven't hit the Google, but I'd be very surprised if there is not already a good SW adaptation of Star Wars. They even have the same initials!

CET
2012-07-13, 03:27 PM
+1 for WEG d6 starwars. I haven't played d6 space, but my understanding is that it's basically d6 starwars with the IP stripped out. In any case, you can get it here (http://www.rpgnow.com/product/20447/D6-Space?it=1).

The mechanic is easy to implement and mod, and there is an obscene amount of home-brewed material out there. If you poke around the internets for netbooks by 'Thiago S. Aranha' I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

My only caveat would be that I found the D6 SW skill lists to be too granular,* and the wound ranges vs. weapon damage to be a little off.** But both of those are very easy to houserule.

*For god's sake - unify the repair and vehicle operation skills. Using rules as written, making a generalist techie character is a nightmare.

**I like more weapon damage (4D to 7D), but also larger ranges for each wound level (5 rather than 3). This gives more reliable damage and less of a binary 'the blaster didn't hurt you'/'you're bleeding out' set of outcomes. YMMV.

LibraryOgre
2012-07-13, 03:40 PM
My only caveat would be that I found the D6 SW skill lists to be too granular,* and the wound ranges vs. weapon damage to be a little off.** But both of those are very easy to houserule.

One thing d6 Space includes is very scaled back DR rolls (so wookies aren't immune to damage) and an optional HP system.

Autolykos
2012-07-14, 02:41 PM
Or you could just use D&D and modify the equipment list (http://www.darthsanddroids.net/episodes/0001.html)...

Nah, seriously, GURPS (with Psionics and Ultra-Tech) and Wushu are the most obvious choices for pretty much anything, depending on how "crunchy" you want it to be. Don't know how good the "specialized" Star Wars settings are, but you'll only need to learn those "universal" rule sets once and can use it for anything afterwards instead of learning a new system for every setting. There are a bunch of other "universal" systems, but those are the ones I tried and can recommend.

eggs
2012-07-14, 03:47 PM
I'd use d6. But I'm not sure what your players would mean as far as Star Wars realism.

Absol197
2012-07-14, 04:25 PM
Another vote for Star Wars SAGA Edition. Some of my faorite games of all time have been in that system. It's a pity we never got to play any single game for too long, as things kept coming up to force them to end, but it's still a great system.

Plus, you can play a gungan jedi who dual wields gungan bubble shields :smallbiggrin: (or, at least I did...)

Mando Knight
2012-07-14, 05:02 PM
It's by Fantasy Flight Games, they are not "relatively unknown".

...Hm. Yeah... I stand corrected.

Grail
2012-07-14, 06:43 PM
true20 (http://true20.com) someone on the forums also came up with a massive amount of info on running star wars in the system.

Katana_Geldar
2012-07-15, 06:19 PM
I put my vote in for SW Saga, there's even a KOTOR supplement, which is rather hard to find.

Fatebreaker
2012-07-15, 06:40 PM
The d6 system! West End Games made a fantastically fun Star Wars universe, and the books are well worth picking up if you can. Other folks have already linked the free downloads, but hardcopies are still available on Amazon and eBay and whatnot.

The good news is that it's quick, it's easy, and it's fun. It plays very well in a setting like Star Wars, where "realism" takes a backseat to "ADVENTURE!"

crazyhedgewizrd
2012-07-15, 07:11 PM
The D6 Star Wars is fun as long as you dont really go above 8 dice. There is some fan made conversions of the saga stuff to D6, but i havent used them and dont know how well they work.

@CET a generalist tech is not that hard to make, you dont have to unite the repair and operation skill together since they are to different skill groups.