PDA

View Full Version : [PF]Pimp my Ranger.

Robinson
2012-07-13, 03:07 PM
Hello playground!

I would like some assistance with designing and gearing a Ranger for an upcoming campaign next week.

5th level, 20 point-buy, 9000 starting gold, 2 traits. Any Race. I think I am going to go Human.

What I have picked for my stats so far is the following:
18STR (16 with my +2 from Human)
14DEX
14CON
12INT
12WIS
7CHA

As for fighting style, I wanted to do scouting for the party, and always remain off to the side about 30ft or so, raining death on foes with my bow until the GM sends baddies after me and I lop their faces off with a big two handed weapon. My idea was to go basic switch hitter, but I have a few holes for feats.

1: Power Attack
1: Quick Draw
2:[Combat Style] Rapidshot
3: ???
5: Deadly Aim

Planning on taking Manyshot at level six, of course. My one problem is I feel like I am going to need precise shot and I'm not sure how to grab it. I like the idea of quick draw because if I drop the bow during the fight I can always quick draw some daggers and whip them at people.

I like class variants, and I am split between two.
I could go the route of a Falconer for my Animal companion, and then combine it with Skirmisher, sacrificing spellcasting and gaining the hunter tricks, the one I selected being Rattling Strike. Then my little hawk could use distracting attack to make someone shaken, and then I could use rattling strike to make someone frightened. Seems like pretty decent control, for not a lot of fuss. Other abilities, such as getting free trip attacks and taking a five-foot step as a swift action seem attractive.

My other option would be to go Nirimathi irregular for the extra druid spell every day, and picking up the magical knack trait to add two to my caster level. But I am unsure of how much use the spells would actually see, as I am generally unfamiliar with casting.

I have no idea what to do with my traits, as well. I would love to get a few more knowledge skills as class skills.

I also need help with gearing, and what I should have for wilderness excursions.

Spiryt
2012-07-13, 03:13 PM
It seems that Precise Shot is on the list of CS feats, without normal Point Blank shot prerequisite, so this may be decent option.

Manyshot doesn't really even seem to be worth it in PF.

Andvare
2012-07-13, 04:41 PM
Clustered Shots is a must-have feat for any archer IMHO, and it requires both Point-Blank and Precise Shot (and +6 BAB), so I'd make sure I had those before hitting level 7. It doesn't take a lot of Damage Resistance to cripple an archer.

I do like Manyshot in PF though, an extra arrow on the first attack. More damage, with no drawback.

Otherwise, I like animal companions, and coupled with the Boon Companion feat means it is actually quite useful. An Ankylosaurus, at level 7, has a stun DC 17 attack (plus some damage), or a Roc, which is alround awesome, with it being able to carry you around at level 7 (and quite fast, fly speed at 80), decent armour and good grapple attack.

I'm not quite sure on why you want quick draw though (or power attack).

Spell Casting is always useful, and while the Ranger spell list might not be all that fantastic, it does have some highlights, like entangle, a fantastic spell, huge area, and even those that make their save are still affected (the terrain is no difficult, so you can stop a charge, or stop a 5-foot step). Or Aspect of the Wolf, which is fantastic if you are build for combat manoeuvres (trip as a swift action, without AoOs, plus strength dex and trip bonus).
And, not to forget, spellcasting means spelltrigger items.

Blisstake
2012-07-13, 06:58 PM
Manyshot doesn't really even seem to be worth it in PF.

It's an extra attack at your highest bonus that stacks with haste. Possibly the best archery feat out there (Rapid Shot, for example, requires you to take a penalty).

PinkysBrain
2012-07-13, 08:59 PM
As for fighting style, I wanted to do scouting for the party, and always remain off to the side about 30ft or so, raining death on foes with my bow until the GM sends baddies after me and I lop their faces off with a big two handed weapon.
Optimize for the common case ... or in other words, put the 18 in dex.

Also I see PF has a swift spell called bowstaff you can use to use your bow as a quarterstaff (wow an actually decent gish spell in PF, will wonders never cease).

I could go the route of a Falconer for my Animal companion, and then combine it with Skirmisher, sacrificing spellcasting and gaining the hunter tricks, the one I selected being Rattling Strike.
It's not a bad combo ... but a lot of resources to spend for the uncommon case.

NamelessNPC
2012-07-13, 09:04 PM
Otherwise, I like animal companions, and coupled with the Boon Companion feat means it is actually quite useful. An Ankylosaurus, at level 7, has a stun DC 17 attack (plus some damage), or a Roc, which is alround awesome, with it being able to carry you around at level 7 (and quite fast, fly speed at 80), decent armour and good grapple attack.

Neither ankylosaurus' nor rocs are available as ranger companions, they are both druid only.

PinkysBrain
2012-07-13, 09:06 PM
Beastmaster ranger can take druid companions.

StreamOfTheSky
2012-07-13, 09:13 PM
Improved Precise Shot is not an option at level 6, it is a class feature.

You can qualify for Manyshot on your own merits at 6 (no feat till 7, though). IPS, you're getting FIVE levels early!

Your level 10 feat should be Point Blank Master. As a bonus feat is the only way you're able to obtain it. So naturally, your level 7 feat is Manyshot, level 9 is clustered shots (unless you lack weapon focus, required for PBM next level). Weapon Focus, PBS, Precise Shot, and Rapid Shot all coming before level 6 preferably (and not in that order).

NamelessNPC: The roc entry specifically says rangers can get them.

Anything that came out in Bestiary 2 or 3 or other books is up to the DM. I think limiting ranger to the initial core rulebook list only while druid, cleric (animal domain), oracle (nature revelation), sorcerer (fey bloodline), and others get to pick whatever the bloody hell they want is infuriatingly, incomprehensibly, unabashadly idiotically...wrong. Just IMO, though. :smallannoyed:

NamelessNPC
2012-07-13, 11:10 PM
Yeah, sure, your point sounds reasonable, I just looked at the Animal Companions table in the SRD and noticed the ranger can only get the lamest animals. I didn't notice the Roc entry stating they are available.

Andvare
2012-07-14, 01:09 AM
Neither ankylosaurus' nor rocs are available as ranger companions, they are both druid only.

Sorry, I should have made it clear that I find that limited list, emm, "infuriatingly, incomprehensibly, unabashedly idiotically...wrong" describes my feelings well. It's not like the Ranger, compared to the Sorcerer, Oracle or Druid, is a powerhouse of brokeness that needs to be limited for the others to follow, quite the opposite. I mean, the Druid is probably the most nerfed class in PF, and it is still in the top two or three.

doko239
2012-07-14, 03:50 AM
Gravity Bow is a necessity. Get it on a wand.

For your companion, get something with a trip attack, and make that its focus. Putting someone on their back makes it that much easier for you to fill it with arrows. Bonus points if it's a Large animal, so that you can trip Huge.

Seconded on Clustershot. Can basically ignore DR at that point.

Finally, take a look at the trick arrows in Adventurer's Armory. Most are crap, but a couple stand out (Grapple Arrow for example).

grarrrg
2012-07-14, 10:08 AM
For your companion, get something with a trip attack, and make that its focus. Putting someone on their back makes it that much easier for you to fill it with arrows. Bonus points if it's a Large animal, so that you can trip Huge

Tripping makes creatures prone. Prone creatures have _+_4 AC vs ranged attacks. So tripping may not be ideal.

Maybe switch your STR/DEX scores and use an Eleven Curve Blade, switch Power Attack for Weapon Finesse, this way you can use DEX for melee and ranged.
Just a thought.

doko239
2012-07-14, 06:01 PM
Tripping makes creatures prone. Prone creatures have _+_4 AC vs ranged attacks. So tripping may not be ideal.

Maybe switch your STR/DEX scores and use an Eleven Curve Blade, switch Power Attack for Weapon Finesse, this way you can use DEX for melee and ranged.
Just a thought.

Derp, nevermind tripping then.

If you can spare the feat, Dervish Dance would let you apply Dex to both attack and damage on a scimitar.