PDA

View Full Version : Favored Soul help

ACSherman
2012-07-13, 05:03 PM
I'm about to start DMing a group of my brother's friends, and two of them are new to D&D. The party is:
My brother: Tiefling Beguiler, Vow of Nonviolence
one of the more experienced guys: a Changeling Warmage
one of the newbies: a Dragonborn Knight weilding a scythe and riding a draconic tiger
The other newbie: a Darfellan Favored Soul. Devoted to the Whale Mother and weilding a boat Paddle.

The favored soul is interested in using magic, but is asking me to look over my books and find some good spells for him. I work this weekend and need to put some finishing touches on the game I'm going to run, so I was wondering if the handsome experts here had any advice/knew some fun spells for a Killer Whale-man to use?

Sgt. Cookie
2012-07-13, 05:22 PM
I have two pieces:

1. Let the Favoured Soul use charisma for everything, instead of wisdom and charisma.

2. There is an ACF that trades energy resistance for healing with buff spells, I'm not sure exactly, but that's the gist. Get it. I don't know off the top of my head which book it's in, though.

TheOOB
2012-07-13, 05:29 PM
I have two pieces:

1. Let the Favoured Soul use charisma for everything, instead of wisdom and charisma.

2. There is an ACF that trades energy resistance for healing with buff spells, I'm not sure exactly, but that's the gist. Get it. I don't know off the top of my head which book it's in, though.

1) No, the favored soul is already the strongest party member by far, make it more powerful

2) As a character associated with an element(water), energy resistance makes sense.

Anyways, we need to know the level of the character/how long the campaign is slated to last.

Sgt. Cookie
2012-07-13, 05:33 PM
1) No, the favored soul is already the strongest party member by far, make it more powerful

2) As a character associated with an element(water), energy resistance makes sense.

Anyways, we need to know the level of the character/how long the campaign is slated to last.

1. Sorcerers use Charisma as their primary casting stat, so having two stats for the Divine version is just a big middle finger to the class.

2. Favoured Souls can't convert spells, the ACF lets them get more healing for their spell slots.

ACSherman
2012-07-13, 05:39 PM
Sorry, I meant to say that before. They're level 5 to start (it was originally going to be a Red Hand of Doom campaign, but we don't have the time) and we're going to do a few small dungeons rather than a full-on campaign. These guys are only going to go until the end of the summer.

eggs
2012-07-13, 08:22 PM
1. Sorcerers use Charisma as their primary casting stat, so having two stats for the Divine version is just a big middle finger to the class.
The sorcerer is one of the most gamebreaking classes in D&D. I don't see why emulating it would be a good idea.

EDIT:
@OP
I'm drawing a bit of a blank on good spells that are also distinctly aquatic themed (besides Wings of the Sea, but that's higher level), but the standard cleric selection of buffs, debuffs and BC wouldn't go too wrong.

Thurbane
2012-07-13, 08:58 PM
This just reminds me...no one has made a Favoured Soul handbook (that I'm aware of), and I've been meaning to do so for ages...must get to work on it.

Kuulvheysoon
2012-07-13, 09:58 PM
This just reminds me...no one has made a Favoured Soul handbook (that I'm aware of), and I've been meaning to do so for ages...must get to work on it.

Yes. Do this.

I would sacrifice a rat in your honour, good sir.

ShneekeyTheLost
2012-07-13, 10:08 PM
Well, sounds like the Favored Soul is going to be the primary healbot and buffbot, so take into consideration that he will need to be picking up both types of spells. Unless the party is doing the whole 'non-magical healing' shtick, which becomes more viable with higher WBL, but I don't think it works out so well at their level.

Now then, a major problem on the high sees is going to be ranged attacks while the opponent's ship is closing. To this effect, Entropic Warding is a fun little spell that makes it 20% harder to make that work.

Cure Light Wounds... if you can't wand it, pick it up.

Protection from Evil. Minor bonuses aside, it also suppresses mind-affecting stuff while on. Basically it swings a nerf-bat at opponent enchanters taking over your party tank.

Shield of Faith... rounds/lvl duration sucks, but deflection bonuses never get old!

Lesser Restoration... you should really probably wand this, but if you can't afford it, then pick it up.

Silence. Use the area-effect version for 'no save, you just can't cast spells'. Opponent casters are your most dangerous threat. Nerf them with this.

Sound Burst. Area effect Save or Stunned is pretty handy.

Mind you, these may not be the most 'optimal' choices, but they should serve you fairly well.

TheOOB
2012-07-14, 01:02 AM

2. Favoured Souls can't convert spells, the ACF lets them get more healing for their spell slots.

1) Just because one class is overpowered, doesn't mean every class should be. Casters are the only archtype that every get SAD. I think moving Favored Soul to a MAD set-up was a good thing

2) While that is true, if you take a few cure spells FS have no shortage of healing, and healing damage is always the worst way to support your party anyways. I was simply mentioning that the energy resistance may be very thematic.

Considering that they are a FS and not a cleric, and there is only one other front-line character(and wielding a 2H weapon), I'd say the logical way to go would be to focus on combat buffing spells. This will make the character a front line fighter on par with the knight.

They might want to avoid spells that rely on saves, one or two like hold person would be good to have around, but a FS is going to have a lower save DC than other casters so buffs and offensive spells that require attack rolls instead of saves are a good idea.