PDA

View Full Version : Taking KoTSS multiple times: Feasable?

ThreeDSix
2012-07-13, 05:55 PM
Hello Playgrounders!

My DM mentioned the possibility of me being able to take the Knight of the Sacred Seal PRC multiple times.
The abilities that I would gain from the PRC would only be usable once per round, so no stacking effects.

Would it be worth it?

Psyren
2012-07-13, 06:17 PM
Hello Playgrounders!

My DM mentioned the possibility of me being able to take the Knight of the Sacred Seal PRC multiple times.
The abilities that I would gain from the PRC would only be usable once per round, so no stacking effects.

Would it be worth it?

By "multiple times" does he mean you'd have to take all 5 levels, loop back around, then take 5 more (letting you take the class up to 3x?) Or that you can stop it at any point and start over (for multiple patrons?)

The main benefits of retaking KotSS that I can see are multiple patrons (1st-level ability - means you never make bad pacts with your favorites, including tricky binds like Orthos) and 5th-level (multiple Vestige's surge - even if you can only do it 1/round, that's still letting you half-spam a Vestige's signature ability.) The other abilities are themselves improved with no cooldown though. The only one that would do nothing at all is Apotheosis.

ThreeDSix
2012-07-13, 07:00 PM
By "multiple times" does he mean you'd have to take all 5 levels, loop back around, then take 5 more (letting you take the class up to 3x?) Or that you can stop it at any point and start over (for multiple patrons?)

The main benefits of retaking KotSS that I can see are multiple patrons (1st-level ability - means you never make bad pacts with your favorites, including tricky binds like Orthos) and 5th-level (multiple Vestige's surge - even if you can only do it 1/round, that's still letting you half-spam a Vestige's signature ability.) The other abilities are themselves improved with no cooldown though. The only one that would do nothing at all is Apotheosis.

He stated that I could take 5 levels with one vestige, then loop back around and take another 5 with another vestige as patron.
I dunno about the stopping halfway to take the first three levels again, though my DM did mention he'd respec the entry requirements for subsequent entries (5 ranks in Know(Planes) to 10 ranks and so forth)

Im pretty sure if he's doing that he'll also be respeccing the feats that grant me no benefit if taken twice, like apothesis.... At least, I hope he will. :smalleek:

Sutremaine
2012-07-13, 09:50 PM
Maybe instead of getting just the Native Outsider subtype you could get more features of the Outsider subtype, sort of like a Savage Progression (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20030824a). The skill points would be especially nice on the 2+Int chassis if the DM allowed them to be retroactive.

Jack Zander
2012-07-13, 10:47 PM
Hmm... I wonder what other classes this would work with?

20th level character with 20 1st level cleric levels and ALL THE DOMAINS.

Thrice Dead Cat
2012-07-13, 11:17 PM

That is either the best or worst "faithless" cleric. Wait, no, be an Ex-Cleric/Ex-Cleric/etc. until Ur-Priest opens up and maybe this plan will go somewhere.

eggs
2012-07-13, 11:28 PM
Do different iterations of the class features work on the same timer (for 5-round cooldowns, 1/day abilities, etc.), or can they overlap? If they don't overlap, I'd skip KotSS the second time, especially if additional iterations have additional prerequisites - at least Binder or Scion of Dantalion have new abilities and don't come with noticeable feat/skill taxes.

That said, none of the binding classes have amazing class features (Anima Mage excluded), so the judgements are pretty nitpicky - KotSS 2.0 would certainly be feasible, I'm just not sure it'd be preferable.

HunterOfJello
2012-07-14, 04:13 AM

Barbarian 1 (x3) for +30ft movement speed and rage 3/day

Fighter 1 (x7) for bonus feats

Rogue 2 for SA + evasion

Rogue 1 (x8) for sneak attack dice

Urpriest
2012-07-14, 11:32 AM
There is the improvement in BAB to consider. Even without all the class features, it's like being able to take Abjurant Champion multiple times.

ThreeDSix
2012-07-14, 11:56 AM
I dunno about taking base classes multiple times... Letting the fighter do it may only be an advantage - though then two saves will be so abysmally low that John Cleese shouting in your general direction will force a will save...

Do different iterations of the class features work on the same timer (for 5-round cooldowns, 1/day abilities, etc.), or can they overlap? If they don't overlap, I'd skip KotSS the second time, especially if additional iterations have additional prerequisites - at least Binder or Scion of Dantalion have new abilities and don't come with noticeable feat/skill taxes.

That said, none of the binding classes have amazing class features (Anima Mage excluded), so the judgements are pretty nitpicky - KotSS 2.0 would certainly be feasible, I'm just not sure it'd be preferable.

As far as know, my DM has no problem with letting the timers overlap - that was the entire idea behind taking the PRC multiple times.

There is the improvement in BAB to consider. Even without all the class features, it's like being able to take Abjurant Champion multiple times.

I'm going to be very melee focussed, so the BAB and extra HP isn't a bad thing at all....