PDA

View Full Version : Dungeons of Dredmor!

Blueiji
2012-07-14, 12:11 AM
Anyone else played the game? Any thoughts on it? Favorite builds? Funny stories? Good mods you've tried?

May you be blessed by the Anvil of Krong!

Grif
2012-07-14, 12:27 AM
There was an old thread here:
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=207979

At any rate, I just recently beaten Lord Dredmor and was pretty stoked about it. :smallwink:

Corlindale
2012-07-14, 05:45 AM
Played it a lot when I first got it, though I never got that far. Tended to die a lot to my own stupidity.

My favourite build is some variety of Pyromancer. It always varied a little, but I think the most succesful was Promethean Magic, Mathemagic, Magic Lore, Blood Magic, Ley Walker, Burglary and Archaeology (the last two I use with pretty much all my characters, for the free xp and trapfinding skills).

Promethean kills everything, and provides a tank for distracting enemies.

Mathemagic gives extra single-target damage, a way to deal with fire resistant foes and probably the best teleportation power in the game. Also gets you a huge damage buff for all your spells.

Blood Magic is a one point wonder which pairs up wonderfully with Promethean Magic.

Ley Walker gives mana regen, and potentially a mana-free teleport. Probably not totally essential to the build, though, but nice for convenience and less reliance on alcohol.

Magic Lore boosts all other spells, though I never got far enough to invest much in it.

My worst death story happened at level 6. My build had really hit its sweet spot, I was buffing myself up with the Zen-power and dealing out fiery death left and right, while teleporting to avoid the opposition.

While casually clearing out the few, sorry remains of a big monster zoo I at one point decide to blast a wall with a fireball even though the splash would hit myself a little. No sweat, I've done this a ton of times before, the fire resistance from Promethean skills always gets me through it! Except I forgot that a) I was buffed up with 5 times zen, so my magic power was through the roof and b) My staff had been cursed by Krong in the previous room to give negative fire resistance... :smallfrown:

Volthawk
2012-07-15, 09:54 AM
At the moment, I'm having fun using a crapton of mods, hitting 'random' and seeing how I do with whatever skillset it gives me (with the extra stuff adding a load more skill sets, it gets...interesting).

Science Officer
2012-07-15, 10:01 AM
I've played it a great deal, have slain Lord Dredmor on Normal and Easy Difficulties. I don't think I could or would enjoy doing so on Hard.

My favourite build is Rogue, Unarmed and Crossbow, dual-wielding shields. Super survivable, which is what you really want. Archaeology's "It belongs in a Museum!" skill is the best in the game. Extremely profitable on the bottom floors where 10 star artifacts are littered across the dungeon floors.

tyckspoon
2012-07-15, 01:07 PM
I've played it a great deal, have slain Lord Dredmor on Normal and Easy Difficulties. I don't think I could or would enjoy doing so on Hard.

Once you get past the first three or so experience levels, decent Mage builds can stomp through the game basically regardless of difficulty (and depending on the particular skills you choose can handle those early levels pretty well too.) Rogue and Fighter-heavy builds tend to be a lot more luck dependent; you need to get a good out-of-depth item find or two (or find a lot of early iron and steel if you have Smithing) to help carry you until your skills and the normal item finds catch up to what you need.

Edit: Unless you're using mod skills, anyway. Essence's Quiggong and Bushido are pretty awesome, and Battle Geology isn't bad either. (I think Battle Geology made it into main game in You Have to Name the Expansion?)

Double Edit: Also Psionics is easy mode. Sleep, Shove, and Healing Crystals all scale down their mana costs very rapidly and are hugely useful. No need to go further down the line than that if you're not in a mage build, although Nerve Staple is handy as a significant debuff and more importantly a near-guaranteed stun. If you *are* a Mage, Pyrokinesis is a ludicrously mana-efficient way to snipe out preferred targets.

hierophant
2012-07-15, 09:45 PM
I've been getting back into DoD lately (mostly thanks to You Have to Name the Expansion!). I love picking skills based on a theme rather than any coherent strategy. Currently fine tuning my next battle-mage build.

Warlockery, Staves, Viking Magic and Blood Magic are all in. Not sure what else to go with. Need a teleport, and probably Ley Walking or Magic Lore.

Other fun character concepts who have met messy ends and will be revisited in the future: Master Crafter, Pirate, Necromancer and Technical Pacifist.

Flickerdart
2012-07-15, 11:08 PM
Blood Magic + Warlockery + Viking Magic is my favourite early game combo - your mana regen counteracts the lighting's upkeep cost and your hits restore your MP (which acts like your HP too with Mana Maille). Lightning-powered attacks are an easy one or two-hit kill of pretty much everything early on.

Science Officer
2012-07-16, 12:46 PM
Once you get past the first three or so experience levels, decent Mage builds can stomp through the game basically regardless of difficulty (and depending on the particular skills you choose can handle those early levels pretty well too.) Rogue and Fighter-heavy builds tend to be a lot more luck dependent; you need to get a good out-of-depth item find or two (or find a lot of early iron and steel if you have Smithing) to help carry you until your skills and the normal item finds catch up to what you need.

Edit: Unless you're using mod skills, anyway. Essence's Quiggong and Bushido are pretty awesome, and Battle Geology isn't bad either. (I think Battle Geology made it into main game in You Have to Name the Expansion?)

Double Edit: Also Psionics is easy mode. Sleep, Shove, and Healing Crystals all scale down their mana costs very rapidly and are hugely useful. No need to go further down the line than that if you're not in a mage build, although Nerve Staple is handy as a significant debuff and more importantly a near-guaranteed stun. If you *are* a Mage, Pyrokinesis is a ludicrously mana-efficient way to snipe out preferred targets.

I never had trouble with Rogues or Warriors. Use Unarmed for Rogues, smith a good weapon and get it Kronged for Warriors.

Like all rogue-likes, it is rather easy to die in DoD if you aren't careful. Less so in DoD than some others, but more comparably on Hard.
So it's frustrating when you spend many an hour sweeping each room of each floor (because you'll be behind in loot and xp if you don't (No Time To Grind solves the problem of xp, mostly, but gives less loot to abuse It Belongs in a Museum! with)) and then lose that character in a moment of recklessness.
I think I've rage-uninstalled twice.

Yeah, I know what you mean with Psionics, but it's not a matter of strategies. I've had some that worked on Hard, that made good progress, it's just the frustration that occurs more often on Hard that I don't want to bother with.

Astrella
2012-07-16, 12:50 PM
Question; I got affected by an effect that caused me to randomly teleport and I ended up in an upopened cell behind a Dwarven Educational Grate, is there any way I can get out or is it basically game over?

tyckspoon
2012-07-16, 01:26 PM
Question; I got affected by an effect that caused me to randomly teleport and I ended up in an upopened cell behind a Dwarven Educational Grate, is there any way I can get out or is it basically game over?

A fair number of those grates are surrounded by destructable walls; if you have a ground-targetable AoE you might be able to blast yourself a passage. Otherwise.. it could well be a game-ender. Part of the reason I hoard potions of Spacial Dislocation and feel a bit uncomfortable about selecting a skillset that doesn't include a knockback.