PDA

View Full Version : A Thorn In The Hand IC

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Malak'ai
2012-07-14, 12:30 AM
Map of Matriath: http://i1163.photobucket.com/albums/q543/Malakai85/Matriath.png

You are all gathered by nationality in front of the large pavillion where the Lords of the Coalition are still in there
final meeting before the annoucement. Those who are either refugees from destroyed or occupied nations are gathered off
to one side.
The warm mid-day sun is glearing down, tempered only by a slight breeze off the mountains before you.
The noise of all those gathered is almost deafening as warriors, wizards and champions from all through the realms grow
restless of waiting.
Finally after an hour of standing around there comes a blaze of trumpets, a roll of drums and cries of men and women as
the leaders of the armies of the Realms exit the large tent, walking up onto the platform so as to be seen by all.

"Greetings to all" calls out the young Elvish High King, his voice magically amplified to carry to each and everyone of
you. "We wish to thank you for being patient with us, this has been a very trying decision for us to make. For it is to
a select few of you that we rest the hopes of all our peoples upon. It is a decision we have not taken lightly."
Stepping up beside him the Queen of Evenreach, the largest of the Human kings still fighting against the hordes of
the Devil Wizard and his followers, her white hair messed by the wind, says in a voice still as soft and smooth as it
was in her youth, "To those of you who we have chosen go the hopes and dreams of us all. It is with regret that we can not choose you all for this duty, but doing so would weaken our armies to an extent that we would not be able to hold the Hand's forces back. I now call upon Lian'Tahlruamy to annouce the selected."
The Elven King holds out his arm for the old Queen as they desend from the platform. As they reach the bottom another elf takes their place before you, this one older and all in black, he looks out over the gathering and in a clear, strong, gruff voice he says, "The selected are as follows. Draynor, Verossa Carmine of Otorin, Halabur Balaban the Gnome, Raif Clearsight, Dame Eleanora Worthe of Stonehold vassle to Lord Fernard of Autumnstar and finally, Daranand Zophokeil. To those who were not selected, count yourselves the fortunate. The chosen six meet at the pavalion, the rest of you, go back to your units. Dismissed."
With that he leaves the platform.

Now the announcement has been made people all start to discuss it, some agreeing with all the selections even though they have no idea who these people are, others calling out that they should have been chosen instead.
Belkenstair, High Steward of Saltmist storming after the Elven general, claiming some mistake had been made before his voice is drowned out.
Slowly soldiers, sorcerers and other candidates start to return to their own camps. Soon all that is left before the platform are the six who carry the weight of the Realms upon their shoulders.

http://i1163.photobucket.com/albums/q543/Malakai85/Matriath2.png

D_Man_7733
2012-07-14, 12:51 AM
Drayner stands there, hood taken back, his black hair and red eyes cleary visible in the sunlight, the glint of chain comes out where his cloak parts down his middle. You can't see any weapons on his back or at his waist. Overall he isn't too different from the average human, but he is younger than most people who would apply, you can tell he is less than 20.

I-I can't believe I get to help, I get to destroy them, this is serious, but I can't help the anticipation Drayner seems to be shivering a little, before he takes a deep breath and looks at the others around him.

Marlowe
2012-07-14, 01:05 AM
"So many of the proud, the free, gathered in one place." murmurs Verossa, her eye playing up and down the Elvish king. "Just one Blasphemy-", then something registers. Me?Me?.

She takes a step forward and, somewhat guiltily, jerks to parade attention. Then realises many are now looking at her in an expectant fashion. Well, give him a show.

"You heard the words! The names! Now see the steel!" Cold iron, really, but that would spoil the scansion. She draws her glaive and holds it aloft, feeling a little silly. "The sun is bright! The ravens are hungry! There's war to be made! My friends! Is not not a good day to be still alive?" She sidesteps next to the eldritch-looking chap. "Your cue to look like the smart one", she whispers.

D_Man_7733
2012-07-14, 01:27 AM
Drayner smiled at the person whispering to him, Entheusiastic, good, this should be fun!. "We will end the hand, and the covenant, on behalf of all those in the world, war will be waged and we will be victorious!" he brings his hand triumphantly skyward, as if he was already holding a trophy

He whispers to the woman now standing beside him "not really one for showing off smarts, but I'm all for putting on a good show"

He then continues whispering while his eyes are drawn to the man who seems to have the air of a leader about him. "It's your turn"

using message as 1/day power to whisper to him (communicator feat)

Marlowe
2012-07-14, 01:44 AM
Verossa's eyes dart around the others, giving the steel clad knight a short nod of homage as to her social superior. This turns into a somewhat deeper bow when she has to hide a flushed smirk. She's so cute! I wonder if whoever fitted her armour did the job pro bono...ahem.

"I'm sorry, my manners are atrocious. Verossa Carmine, of Otorin late, as you just heard. Yes, silly name for a brunette. But the day I paint or dye myself is the day I take up pig-breeding. Anyway, speeches to the many and the more fortunate? Or shall we wander to this...pavilion" she smiles at the ominous pause, "make our pleasantries as we may, and see what horrifying wonders and wonderful horrors our future holds? You've got very odd eyes. Up late last?" She raises an eyebrow at the presumed Duskbuckler or Hexsword or Swashblade or whatever he was.

D_Man_7733
2012-07-14, 01:58 AM
"No; no I've always had these eyes." He looks around at those remaining breifly before turning back to Verossa.

"The names Drayner, at your service."Drayner flourishes a bow, his cloak billowing in the wind. "I guess when we are done with the meet and greet we will see were we are to begin." Drayner offers his hand.

Marlowe
2012-07-14, 02:09 AM
Verossa snaps the glaive over to her left hand to take Drayner's with her right. "Sorry about the gloves. You know what polearm drill does to the palms. So what do you do? Hexblade, me. But don't worry too much. So far, all that means is I can make people feel slightly uncomfortable by talking to them severely. How long have you been fighting? I lost my cherry at Scarletwaters, myself, so I'm still rather fresh."

D_Man_7733
2012-07-14, 02:22 AM
Drayner blushes slightly as the woman takes him by the hand.
"I guess it's not so much what I do, but what I am. I can fight though. I'm best from a distance, but I have been thinking about looking into more close ranged fighting as well."

Drayner holds his other hand against his head as if he was getting a headache "I'm not sure exactly how long I've been fighting, but I know I can, and that is usually enough" Drayner takes his hand away from his head and shrugs slightly I'll show you exactly what I can do when the time comes though, it's gonna be a surprise." His entheuseasm has returned, after speaking to him, you can tell he hasn't had much "peaceful" human interaction for a while.

Marlowe
2012-07-14, 02:35 AM
"Goody. I like surprises", quoth Verossa, clapping the man firmly on the back. "Like when you hack somebody's head off in a routine skirmish and it turns out he's carrying his entire companies' payroll. We had the High Carrutyer knights and marshals finding excuses to come eat at our camp for a month. Well, if you don't wish to tell me I suppose I'll have to use my strange arcane powers to find out. When I get some, that is. Have you ever cast a spell? What's it like?"

D_Man_7733
2012-07-14, 02:40 AM
"HA! that had to be good. Have I ever cast a spell though?" Draynor pulls ahead and looks back "I guess that's also part of the suprise!"

He lets Verossa catch up with him before continuing, "So, who do we say hello to first?" He looks up at her with a smile before taking in the four others that lay before them.

Marlowe
2012-07-14, 04:47 AM
"Evasive fellow, aren't you? said Verossa, tossing her hair back as she caught up. "Well, just so long as you're not a Soulcaster. Or a Spellmind. Or a Spellthief. Or whatever they're called."

She flexed her fingers absently, letting the sun reflect from the brass knuckle-studs and the black leather clasping the back and palm of her hand.

"Back in my last company, they used to say I had a Spellthief's hands," she said in a low voice. "But I had to get rid of them during the retreat from Barnflaed. The ranger's wolves had to eat something. I think it would be for the best if we let the grand Dame address us first. Don't want to look forward. Or uncouth."

D_Man_7733
2012-07-14, 04:59 AM
"I wouldn't call myself evasive... more, trying to enjoy life to it's fullest. And enjoyment just so happens to come in line with duty it would seem, I can't wait to get all of this started" Drayner's smile and voice became a little aggressive when speaking of "getting it all started", but it quickly subsides, almost as soon as it appeared.

"Well, I guess we wait to be adressed then." Drayner looks forward, a somewhat smaller smile decorates his face, standing at attention as best he can, it resembles a not-so-new recruit standing at attention for morning exercises.

Arranis Thelmos
2012-07-14, 07:44 AM
"I don't mean to intrude, but I thought I heard a little discussion about spellcasting over here." says a small figure walking towards them. I suppose introductions are in order, I am Halabur Balaban. An Illusionist of some small reknown, but apparently more reknowned than I thought if I can be selected for a job such as this. And who would you two be?

Wordplay
2012-07-14, 09:45 AM
'More renown? Oh famous eyes, spies of great repute'.

A non-descript figure appears from behind a figure, wearing dull grey robes, his face in shadow from his hood.

'A true deceit has been practised on us all. A half-truth, but a complete lie. Oh, most Holy Day!'

The man approaches and lowers his hood, revealing a weather-beaten face, greyish-brown hair, drained of colour, and empty grey eyes.

'If introductions are in order, my name is Raif Clearsight. That is a lie of course and it is also my name. A false Cleric of False Gods, and yet the truest servant of Truth. I look forward to serving you by deceiving your minds and flesh'.

ExtravagantEvil
2012-07-14, 11:12 AM
I listen intently, to every word of the announcements, just knowing that I would be selected. Especially when I hear my name ring out.

Saving the best for last I see

Seeing the others in uproar in this council of 6, I step forward, my Blonde Hair flowing in the wind as I stand towards the center of the gathering, calling all attention, or trying to anyhow.

Greetings! I am the one known as Daranad Zophokiel, it's a pleasure to be able to lead and fight with all of you!

Hearing Clearsights ominous remark, I comment

That strategy, Clearsight, is most unwise. Save the deceptions for the enemy, not for your allies. We must stand tall, together as equals, not as squabbling children. True heroes fight with both tactic clarity, and for the truth so scribed in the halls of history, and that is how we must fight!

Perform Oratory and Diplomacy to get everyone to agree with me, as I give that impromptu oration.
[roll0] ; Diplomacy
[roll1] ; Perform Oratory

Machuchang
2012-07-14, 11:33 AM
Eleanora felt a cold tingle run down her spine, though whether it was fear or excitement, she couldn't quite tell.

So this is it... They really did pick me then, didn't they? I just hope I hope I don't let these people down.

Her demeanor changed somewhat, however, when she saw Lord Saltmist storm off in a rage.

What a child! She grimaced, as she felt her heart sink deep into the pit of her stomach.You would think that now of all times would be the time to put such grudges behind. But knowing Lord Saltmist, he will not let this slight pass unanswered. They should not have chosen me.

As she watched Saltmist go, her eyes caught sight of a small gathering of some other motley-looking characters from a variety of camps. My fellow saviors of the realms. El thought wryly. Perhaps I should best say hello.

She strode over to the group, all too aware of the clanking of her armor, before kneeling in front of them.

"Dame Eleanora Worthe of Stonehold, vassal and retainer to Lord Fernard of Autumnstar, at your service," Eleanora placed her right fist over her heart. "I pray that our alliance will be a long and fruitful one."

Wordplay
2012-07-14, 12:40 PM
Clearsight smiles at Daranad Zophokiel. 'I see you are much deceived in me already. An auspicious start!

I'll truthfully follow in your lead, even as we all lead each other. As you say, we must stand tall and equal - under your leadership - as equals.

But say, would you really prefer, when the friendly foeman pierces your innards, I should leave the honest wounds upon you? Or rather, should I trick the flesh, and deceive the body? Make you whole and Holy, rather than holed and holey?Well, if you wish. But I prithee, since you school me in true heroes, I ask you what of false heroes?

Clearsight sees Dame Elenora

Amen to that m'Lady, perhaps we should all join hands and offer up a quick prayer

ExtravagantEvil
2012-07-14, 02:29 PM
False Heroes? Why, they are only heroes due to lies! The kind of hero that spreads false words of his deeds, and warps the truth for their own wicked ends. They are not truly heroes but villainous creatures who wear the facade of goodness for greed or petty revenge, or the heroes who do not live in the name of their virtue.
Here, I trust, that the council has picked us to help lead the fight for freedom for we are all heroes! And I am glad that the council has given such a smart witted band to serve as the beginning of the army I am destined to lead. Though I assure, I respect you all as if you were captains, and will heed all opinions as equal, but whatever proclamation I make, if you agree for my leadership, will be taken, if you volunteer to trust my, and thus the fully considered group's, decisions.

Malak'ai
2012-07-14, 07:45 PM
Ok guys, I'll just need a Sense Motive check from you to help guage your reactions to Daranad's Diplomacy check, and due to his Proform, I'll be giving a +4 to the check.

Arranis Thelmos
2012-07-14, 09:08 PM
"You might want to be careful with what you say Mr. Clearsight, says Halaban with a Cheshire grin. "It's my job to be providing the illusions. A task I quite enjoy."

Sense motive [roll0]

Smiling, he turns to Daranad. "I'm hearing a lot of first-person pronouns out of you. If you can lead nearly as fine as you can talk, I suppose I don't see any issue with you leading. I don't see anyone else volunteering for the job.

Marlowe
2012-07-14, 10:39 PM
Verossa steps forward and takes the Bard's hand, smiling. "It's very good of you to volunteer yourself for leadership. I've had some young, keen fellows leading me in my time. Although we wound up eating the last one. I hope you live up to your expectations. Or taste better with mustard."

She turns to the Cleric. Who says "prithee" these days? Is he a tourist?"I would be displeased to have not met you on this not unbright day, and do not desire that we should not go together as we go not unboldly down the path of danger and of honour. Verossa Carmine. Outrageous Liar. At least, that's what I tell people"

Then to the knight, managing not to blush this time as she dips her head. "Sir Dame. Knight. Lady. Ma'am. It seems we are as forwards together in this company. I hope that my glaive shall bite as deep as your sword, and my heart prove as firm. I am looking forward to having you." She pauses just long enough to let a horrifying feeling of wrongness creep into her. "I mean, as my partner. I mean, on the same team. I mean, serving under you. I mean--is that a Dire Hummingbird?"

Bluff:[roll0]

And then she pokes Halaban in the side. "Illusionist? Just making sure you're actually here."

EDIT: Psst. Diplomacy specifically doesn't work on PCs.

ExtravagantEvil
2012-07-14, 10:47 PM
I knew that Marlowe, :smallwink:. I'm using it to set a general mood to see how convincing I can make my argument sound. To show whether he was good at his job, and show that he was trying to sell something. I didn't want to Brainwash anyone as a Diplomancer is wont to do. You guys can disagree with the Diplomacy check all you'd like, but it just shows that I did an adequate job selling myself to the party as leader :smallsmile:.

I look at the brown haired damsel who has taken my hand, and swiftly remove at her biting remark.

Madame, if you don't mind, I do enjoy partaking of forbidden fruit, but not of the lemons that are your words.
I am glad that you are all so open towards my leadership, but I must equivocate and force, that you all hold equal say, and that since you agree and volunteer to this, I expect you to respect and listen my statements. Now,
I find that we should consider first increasing the size of our squad here, into an army. Make a name for ourselves, and make sure that we strike fear into the hearts of these tyrants.

Marlowe
2012-07-14, 11:17 PM
Verossa's smile slips for a moment. "Lead all you want. Inspire who you will. If you're not up to it, you won't last. It's as simple as breathing or killing. But don't call me "madame."

ExtravagantEvil
2012-07-14, 11:29 PM
My apologies, I was not aware of your inclination towards being pessimistic about the man you have taken to be your leader. Remember, you can disband from this growing army if you ever grow an urge to disagree with my leadership. Nor, was I forewarned of your disenfranchised take on those basic titles shown towards women, and that, I apologize.
Now, to the planning. I am largely new to this part of the country, can any tell of the world this so far south as this?

Marlowe
2012-07-14, 11:41 PM
"I did not say I had taken you as my leader. I said that you should feel free to lead if that is your inclination. Lead well, we'll follow. And you might consider that "madame" is a job description as well as a title. And that "Carmine" is not a name for one born into honour." Her smile's looking a little strained at this point.

"As for the country, I fought my way half-way back here from Barnflaed, but I wasn't sightseeing at the time. It seems we've gained back some of the ground we lost during the retreat, as the battlefield is still part of the debatable. They'll be a new battle there ere long, unless somebody decides to develop his or her imagination."

I know that "madam" (no e) is the job description. Verossa doesn't. And they sound alike anyway.

D_Man_7733
2012-07-15, 04:25 AM
Sense Motive Diplo: [roll0]
Got rid of it, because I realise It wasn't a universal Bluff (so to speak)

"Nobody needs to be lead, we were chosen for a reason, and that is because we're good, we just need to know where to go, and we can deal with it, any planning we need to do will be done equally." Drayner's previous entheusiasm seems to have turned into confidence.

Drayner then gives another flourishing bow, although little less extravagant before. "I guess I should introduce myself, I'm Drayner, master of the... well, it's a suprise."

Marlowe
2012-07-15, 05:01 AM
"And speaking of which, this has all been very pleasant. However I do believe there's this "pavilion" thing we were instructed to proceed to. It's a reasonably surmise that there, someone important will tell us who he or she wants us to happen to. So, are we going to keep our higher-ups, or possibly in the good Dame's case, our further-alongs waiting? Grave discourtesy that."

Arranis Thelmos
2012-07-15, 07:50 AM
Halaban laughs heartily, "Yes, let's hurry over there. It would be impolite to keep our puppet masters waiting on the end of their strings. Let's see what sort or suicide mission they have in mind for us."

Wordplay
2012-07-15, 02:29 PM
Clearsight reaches out to shake Verossa Carmine's hand.

'Well met, and I shall not gainsay you on that. After all I suppose you do hope so'.

'and Sir Zophokiel, I promise faithfully to serve for you as truly as I did my first master. A remarkable man, in that people often remarked on him. He saved my life, and though he taught me little, I learned much from him. I suppose you could say he made me the man I am today'.

At Drayner's reveal of his powers Raif Clearsight mutters 'Oh...now I know there's going to be a surprise. Oh well, perhaps there won't be'.

He tilts his head, bemused at the gathering and thinks An excellent group. The splendid peacock Zophokiel seems to do an excellent job of deceiving himself. Of course appearances are deceptive. The lady Carmine says she's an outrageous liar, but I don't believe that for a minute. The gentleman, with the truthful eyes which lie to me, told me there'd be a surprise. Then the Gnome told me he's a liar too'. Felicitous day!'

Responding to Halabar 'Indeed. I am anxious to see what lies they wish to tell us. Take courage, if we can leave them waiting on our puppet strings, soon we moppets may have our puppetmasters dancing on our puppet strings'.

Machuchang
2012-07-15, 03:11 PM
Eleanora listened to Verossa with a slight smile on her face, which twitched into a short-lived frown upon hearing "Outrageous Liar."

Sense Motive (Dire Hummingbird): [roll0]

So these are the sort that my companions will be... The Dame thought to herself as her gaze swept over the rest of the party (and places where a dire hummingbird may have been). Her companions were, well, different to say the least, but the Council must have known what they were doing when they chose them, right? But then again there was that ordeal with Lord Saltmist...

"Yes, it would probably be a good plan to see the Council now. I'm sure they have much they want to tell us." Eleanora said.

What was the Council thinking? She'd just have to wait and see.

Malak'ai
2012-07-15, 08:54 PM
As you approach the pavillion you can hear a few voices still raised in arguement until suddenly there is a loud 'thunk' noise, like something large and soft striking the truck of a solid oak, the tent itself shaking, making the silk pannels shudder.

Upon entering you notice all the gathered Rulers of the Realms, sitting around their table, turned, gazing in shocked amazement at the black clad Elf, Lian'Tahlruamy, his face contorted in unbridled rage, holding the Steward of Saltmist aloft against one of the center poles of the pavillion by the throat, ignoring the Human nobles vain attempts to pry his fingers free, "The decision has been made Belkinstair, I'll hear no more arguement from you or I'll personally make sure that you're sent to the front where the fighting is heaviest to lead the charge armed with nothing but a mop handle and breechcloth, riding upon the most splayed mule I can find. Now close your mouth and stand back over there where you belong or you'll wish you had." Dropping the now purple faced lord to the ground, Tahlruamy turns back to the table, making a small bow to the seated Kings and Queens, "Please forgive that slight outburst your Highnesses, but I felt it was needed."
As Belkenstair of Saltmist scrabbles back to his position along the side of the tent.
Looking up, the elf see's you, "Finally, you certainly took your time." He says, moving back to stand behind the Elven High King.

The Kings and Queens, taking a moment to regain themselves as they turn to face you, the other Lords and Ladies gathered around the edges of the meeting area still looking shocked, some with fear planning on their faces.
The old Queen standing, beconing you closer, "Pray, forgive the good Lian. His methods maybe blunt, but the stresses of this war weigh heavily upon him. Now, I'm sure you all must be wondering what all this has been about."
Standing beside her, a Dwarf of great girth with a snow white beard down to mid shins takes up the explanation, "As 'er Majesty 'as put it so nicely, tha reason you've been gathered is to take tha fight to tha bloody Devil Wizard and 'is followers." As he sits down, a regal, though slightly frail looking Halfling woman stands up upon her seat, "So far, as you know, all we have been able to do is hold Altaranis and his forces to an unsteady standstill. It is hoped that a few will succeed where whole armies have failed."
"We need ya's to get in behind the Covenants lines, find weaknesses, free those who have been enslaved and generally cause as much discord for them as you can." Says a bald Gnome in sky blue robes, a cheery smile on his lips as he speaks.
Leaning over the table, one of the Human Kings unrolls a map, looking up at the Elven lord behind his High King, "Tahlruamy, if you'd please."
The elf takes up a long thin pointer from the table, placing the tip on a spot along the southern lines, "This is where we have decided to try and slip you through. The land of this area is all hills and trees. The Dwarves of Ironstand have been ordered to make a push here," moving the pointer alittle to the north, "In the hopes of drawing the bulk of the Hand's mens to the defense, leaving the line with only spotty defense. It is through one of these gaps that you are to get through and with all luck, into the forests of the Blossemwood where there are still a few who hold out." placing the pointer down again he crosses his arms across his chest, "Any questions?"

Eleanora:
While the elven lord is chastising Belkenstair, you notice that Lord Fernard is quite obviously ignoring what is happening, turned to face the front of the pavillion so as not to see what is happening, although there is a slight smile upon his lips.

Also, you're pretty sure Verossa is making up the exisistance of the Dire Hummingbird, but you still keep checking the sky, just incase.

Map showing places Lian'Tahlruamy indicated.http://i1163.photobucket.com/albums/q543/Malakai85/Matriath3.png

Marlowe
2012-07-15, 09:24 PM
((Chinese internet is being Chinese and not displaying images. Again:smallfurious:))

"We regret our tardyness. I have no excuse." she bows. "Technically, I've been behind the Covenanter lines a few times. Wasn't much there but snow and death, and I wasn't inclined to linger." She shrugs. Verossa Carmine. Sad girl in snow.

"Still, it's a worthy try. The wretches stuck behind the curtain need help and hope. Although it bothers me we don't appear to have anyone skilled in forest work. My training was in the marines, before I came to the continent. I vaguely know a tree is brown and difficult to walk through. Still, the Forest of Arden gambit seems sound. It will be done." She snaps to full attention.

"I've no desire to face starvation again. We can't bring pack-beasts into this, but I could carry a few more pounds of rations." Make that just a few pounds. She turns to the others. "We travel light, and every pound that doesn't slow us down we bring travel rations. They taste better than Gnome at any rate. Favour of the Gods, we might find somebody in the forest who knows enough to keep us fed."

D_Man_7733
2012-07-15, 09:42 PM
Unfased by the outburst from the elf, Drayner does a brief bow.

"Apoligies are due, please forgive us for our tardiness, don't worry, we will save as many as we can." After giving a look over the map Drayner stands up straight again "Do you have a method to relay any weakness to you? or will we report it to you when we get back?"

Afterwards Drayner stays silent, poring over the map, attempting to commit the locations to memory. (But still listening)

If needed intelligence Roll [roll0] or if I have time, just going to take 10.

Marlowe
2012-07-15, 09:55 PM
((AND images are suddenly working))

"Back that way again. Well, it's a few days hustle to reach the Blossemwood--is that the right way to say it?--after breaching their front. The country in between doesn't give us a lot of cover. I'm starting to regret not knowing my way around a horse, but they're not very seaworthy in a crosswind."

She pushes her hair back from her forehead. "It is commanded. It is needful. It is wise. It will be done."

Arranis Thelmos
2012-07-15, 10:18 PM
"Oh yes, we're very sorry for--" Halabur begins and is driven to silence by Verossa's comment about the taste of Gnome.

He tugs at her sleeve with an expression of horror on his face, he stammers for a second but cannot seems to find the words to form his question.

Marlowe
2012-07-15, 10:30 PM
Verossa looks at the Illusionist with mild interest.

((Especially since she doesn't appear to have sleeves:smallbiggrin:))

ExtravagantEvil
2012-07-15, 11:18 PM
I nod gently, watching and listening to each of them in turn. I feel my mind start slipping away from my oratory heroism deep into a military commanders steel gaze.

Yes, we'll need to pack plenty of supplies...if we are hitting behind the Devil Wizard's lines, we could try to strike at cities as a covert unit...sneaking food out of their cities, crippling their armies, and beginning to plant spy networks and connections. We won't need to worry heavily about resources if we will be striking into towns. I feel like we will need magical cloaks, and lies to keep us hidden, and occasionally spark small rebellions, and once again, continue to reinforce networks of the like minded who side with us.

Wordplay
2012-07-16, 04:18 AM
Raif Clearsight brightens. Freeing slaves? I'm an expert at freeing slaves. his eyes sharpen But you don't really wish for me to free them do you? These peoples who were once your subjects and are now free of you? Oh, slaves to be sure, but not yours'. Well either way, it will be done'.

Untrained knowledge Geography Check [roll0]

Marlowe
2012-07-16, 04:34 AM
Verossa decides that whatever Halabur's going to say, it can wait if he can."I hate to ask this, because it makes me look remiss, but do you think if we pooled our gold we could afford a bag of holding and some food and medical supplies to go in it? I can normally carry enough gear myself for normal campaigning, but this will not be normal. I regret I only have about a couple of hundred left, having foolishly squandered my assets on this stunning ensemble." She gives her outfit a waist-to-shoulder swish.

Arranis Thelmos
2012-07-16, 07:41 AM
OOC: Oh, no sleeves... Sorry, I should've checked the picture on the character sheet. :smallredface:

IC: Halabur stutters for a second and says I, my dear lady, may be inclined to share my gold once you explain how you've become a connoisseur on 'Gnomish cooking'; to say it politely."

Malak'ai
2012-07-16, 08:29 AM
Draynar
Unfortunately for some reason you just can't seem to concentraite on the map. Something seems to keep nagging you in the back of your mind. You feel a prickling start to rise on the back of your neck.

Raif
You can roughly locate where the town where you were held as a slave is, you realise how far it is from where you will be going but no other information about the area comes to mind.

((I'll post Tahlruamy's responses when I'm actually able to access a proper computer))

Wordplay
2012-07-16, 11:06 AM
'I have over a thousand of the golden lies in my money pouch. I could also carry a few days rations to cheat hunger, as I'm used to being a beast of burden. However, it might be so much easier to get a truer beast of burden-or some kind of pack animal, failing that. If we really wish for a bag of holding there's a much less deceitful way than 'telling' gold 'lies''.

Clearsight looks at the gathering.

'Lords, ladies, we require a bag that cheats space. Either that, or Lord Belkinstair to carry our stuff. It would be the most perfectest disguise - Lord Belkinstair carrying someone else's things - who could suspect it was really him? Without one or the other, I fear the cult will prevail, evil will triumph, the sun will burn out in the sky, and the seas swallow the land. Also, tax revenue may be down'.

D_Man_7733
2012-07-16, 07:55 PM
"A bag of holding would be useful, I'm willing to pitch in" As he takes out his coin-purse, he looks around seemingly looking for something, while scratching the back of his neck. "I'm willing to donate, 400gp for the group bag."

Malak'ai

Using detect magic while looking around
and if necessary hide or bluff to disguise the shivers I would get from the prickling. [roll0] +9 if bluff, +3 if hide

Malak'ai
2012-07-16, 08:22 PM
The Elven lord starts to smile a little as you rattle off all your questions, nodding, I knew I had made the right choice when I urged for this lot. Though his eyes do widen a little at the Varossa woman's comment about the taste of Gnome. He almost breaks out in a laugh as the little priest implies to use that pompous fool Belkenstair as a pack animal.

His attention is drawn away from you as the aforesaid Noble starts up in a voice swimming with outrage, "HOW DARE YOU! You pitiful little priest! You say that I, the Lord Steward of Saltmist should carry your pathetic belongings!", storming up to the table of the Kings and Queens he continues, "Your Graces, I demand retribution for this insult!"
One of the Dwarven Kings jumps to his feet, "Ya'll deman' n'thing in ma presence! Ya've done n'thing in these councils b' gripe and complain. Back to your place with ye."
Gaping, Belkenstair steps back, glearing at all in attendance before storming out of the tent, calling for his retainers.

Tahlruamy watches as the angry lord leaves, "He'll cause some sort of trouble before long if something isn't done to calm him, but that is for another time.
As to your questions and requests, I see no reason why we cannot give you what small aid that we can. I will have a few things prepaired to help with your journey.
As to how you will relate your findings, here," he holds out a silver necklace and pendant, a small clear blue crystal mounted in the center, "This is how we will communicate. Come to my tent in an hour and things will be ready for you. I shall also have any other answers you seek. For now you may go.

Draynar:
You see the whole whole tent suddenly glow with strong enchantments, along with many items in the possession of various Lords, Ladies and the Kings and Queens. The Elf, Tahlruamy seems to glow all over, almost as bright as the tent itself, the hilts of the swords on his back draw your attention the most due to the strong red glow they are giving off. You also notice a young looking Halfling woman in amongst the crowd behind the table, she seems to pulse with the same glow as the tent, little treads of magic extending from her to the silk of the covering above you.
Noone seems to be paying attention to your shivering

Marlowe
2012-07-16, 11:52 PM
"Attend!

For what must be done, gold is useless. We will need useful items.

Attend!

I wish I could contribute more, but here is 194 gp.

Attend!

This is all I have that I do not wear. On this earth and others.

Attend!

For what it is worth, please take it. As a gift from a whore's daughter who is not afraid to die".

((I enjoy writing Hexblades))

EDIT: Because I almost forgot the post.

She leans over towards Halabur. "My last "leader" to whom I previously eluded, was Gnomish. He was brave, smart, fought well, not tough, and in the end; tasted funny. If he'd had the decency to be a half-orc we wouldn't have had to eat the mule as well. I liked that mule. The retreat from Barnflaed was tough. They say you should try anything once, with the exception of incest and bestiality. Well, done cannibalism. Not doing it again. Hopefully."

((And a human eating a gnome isn't technically cannibalism, but eating fellow sentients is bad. I don't see much difference and neither does Verossa. She's not proud. And she's not lying.))

Wordplay
2012-07-17, 08:30 AM
Raif mutters in confusion 'Gold is useless, yet you give us your gold? A thankless gift for a thankless task. But you give your self the lie, if you feared death enough to eat Gnome meat. Was that meet? No matter'.

Raif's eyes soften. 'I have known the scourge of hunger and the fear of death - the worst death is when the man dies but the flesh lives on. I gave away the dearest thing I owned, to save my life, and yet still I died having given it away. Yet when the flesh lives, so may a man, and realising, what I gave away could not be owned in the first place, I was free. So please understand me when I say I understand what you have done better than most, and I cannot judge you any worse for it'.

Clearsight brightens up. Now if you'll excuse me, I have my ministry to attend to. I hold out hope that one among us will shortly be saved!

Cast Disguise self to take the shape of Lord Belkinstair, Steward of Saltmist.

Clearsight turns to the group. 'If several of you could keep Lord Belkinstair occupied for the next half hour, I would gladly pay you five hundred golden lies for a false bag. If money is no inducement, I urge you for his sake, that he may yet, by our hands, be saved'.

Machuchang
2012-07-17, 01:16 PM
Eleanora's shock at seeing Belkenstair's treatment quickly turned into distaste.

So these are my superiors. She thought bitterly to herself. They carry on as if they are merely petulant children! Still... I can't say the pompous fool didn't deserve it.

She turned to her Lord, curious as to his reaction, and noted the tiny sliver of a smile. As usual, she found it difficult to disagree.

But she herself could not even hold back a grin at the cleric's suggestion to use Belkinstair as a pack mule. The thought of the Lord doubled over under the weight of her belongings was not an unpleasant one, if not the most honorable one either.

"Friends, if it is not too much trouble, I ask permission to bring my horse. While perhaps not the stealthiest of beasts, he could be used to carry extra goods, or the wounded, or similar things. In addition, I am a touch more comfortable fighting from horseback than on foot." Eleanora shifted her feet. "As for items you may deem necessary, I will be willing to donate 170 Crowns to the cause. I will withhold some money, in case an emergency should present itself, or should I find it necessary to provide recompense for actions undertaken during our mission."

After that, Eleanora remained silent, trying to ignore the talk of cannibalism. At the priest's words, however, her own demeanor began to soften. That one is far wiser than he lets on. Eleanora noted. And mayhaps I am being too hard on the rest of the team myself.

But when the priest transformed, so too did her thoughts. Quickly, she strode over to Clearsight and grabbed him forcefully by the shoulder, pulling her face close to his.

"What manner of deceit is this?! She hissed, trying to keep her voice a whisper. "What are you doing?!

Arranis Thelmos
2012-07-17, 01:47 PM
Halabur nodded at the young woman's explanation. "Ah...Baenflaed... I've heard about that. A terrible fight. I suppose I can't blame you for that then. I humbly offer my apologies for that then." he says with color filling his cheeks. It's at this point he sees Raif change himself into Belkinstair. He had a guess what the cleric was going to pull off, and he would happily assist his fellow illusionist.

"My dear lady!" exclaims Halabur as he separates him and the Dame. "Please do not disturb our good lord! I'm sure he is very busy right now. Come my Liege, let me escort you." He says hurriedly as he and Clearsight vanish into the crowd."

Wordplay
2012-07-17, 01:57 PM
Raif Clearsight replies in a stage whisper (hushed, but clearly audible)

'A deceit with which I hope to show Lord Belkinstair an innate truth - as all deceits do. The lesson may not be pleasant, but I hope that it shall be very much to his advantage'.

Pulling closer to Dame Elenora, Raif speaks a little more quietly.

'You heard what they said - he will be trouble if we leave him like this, a plain truth in sight misleads like a lie. I see an honest truth writ on this face, as do we all, but only I will give it the lie'.

'I ask you, how will you distinguish me from Lord Belkinstair? The answer is obvious to you, perhaps. I wonder what he will make of it?'

Then giggling Clearsight saunters to the tent flap, at this point Halabar interjects, and they walk out arm in arm By your leave masters, i' faith, when a fool commands, and the wise do call it wisdom, the only honest men left may be the priests of false gods!'

Once outside the tent Clearsight nods at Halabar, then strides purposefully and imperiously to seek out some servants, preferably of Lord Belkinstair.

Disguise Check [roll0]
Spot Check [roll1]

Machuchang
2012-07-17, 02:23 PM
As the gnome and the priest walked out, Eleanora let out a small sigh of exasperation. If they were intent on this folly, at the very least she would have the opportunity to gauge their skills.

ExtravagantEvil
2012-07-17, 02:25 PM
I see the group has their heart set on this idea of a portable space, so I shall also follow, taking 261 gold coins from my purse, and giving it to everyone for this purpose. And yes, I suggest you take your horse, for since we are on a mission of infiltration, we must move fast so we can strike hard into the heart of the empire, and outrace bad winds and the baying of the Dark Wizard's hounds.

I continue to watch the group around me with care, thinking quietly, as I absorb the information and try to recall anything on our good lord directing us on this mission

Bardic knowledge on Tahlruamy
[roll0]

Malak'ai
2012-07-17, 08:48 PM
Raif
As you cast your spell you feel a slight resistance, but it finally forms around you. As you look around the room you can see looks of disapproval on the faces of not only the gathered lords and ladies but also from Dame Eleanora.
As you leave the tent you get a few strange stares from those who are either on guard or working around the pavilion, having just seen Belkenstair walk out a few moments before you.
You see the sigil of Saltmist flying high over a camp to the south.

Daranand
He is a high lord who resides in the Palace of Rubyleaf, the seat of the High King. You may re-try again at a future date after dealing with him some more.

Once Clearsight and Halabur leave, Talhruamy walks over to those of you remaining, you see he is actually alot taller than you would have actually thought, standing a couple of inches taller than Draynar.
"Best if Mr Clearsight doesn't cause too much trouble, Saltmist is, as Dame Eleanora would know, not the most forgiving person, and will likely do something to avenge not only these new insults to his honour, but also for not having one of his own men chosen for the mission. Go now, make sure things do not get out of hand."
Turning to address the Rulers he stops, looking back over his shoulder, "Also, Ms Verossa, I would keep word of your culinary... experiences to yourself from now on. Some in this camp might take exception. I know that situations arise where it might be deemed necessary but it is still something very few consider to be of good taste," smiling he adds, "If you would mind the pun."

Marlowe
2012-07-17, 09:24 PM
I have no idea what that man thinks he's doing, thinks Verossa as Raif altered his guise. I certainly hope he does.

She gives a short bow to the elf lord, clicks her heels, and does her best Misato Katsuragi impersonation. "Heard, my lord. And understood. Just putting my money where my mouth is."

She steps sideways and turns to the group."Thank you all for your spirit. We may not be able to purchase the ideal, but we can buy us some succour. It is good of Sir Dame to volunteer her mount. I wish I could contribute similar, but I am a foot soldier and shall remain so. You are, or have among you, some wiser and cleverer than I. What can we purchase that would do the most good?"

D_Man_7733
2012-07-17, 09:32 PM
Drayner quickly shakes his head, from the great glow coming from the tent, before turning to the rest of the group.
Disabling "Detect Magic"

"If it is required, I would like to volunteer a wand of light healing, and a wand of light, they all appear to be in perfect, unused condition as well."

Marlowe
2012-07-18, 05:59 AM
"I have no skill with wands, but I suppose as long as somebody does we'll get by. Well, that's 855 gp in the kitty. What could we turn it into?"

EDIT: missed D-mans generous contribution.

ExtravagantEvil
2012-07-18, 06:17 AM
Fear not, I have the requisite skills and expertise with those wands.

I slip the wand free from it's holster, and twirl it through my fingers.

So if we need a wand of that nature contributed, I'm glad to be the one to use it, for the assistance of the entire group.

Marlowe
2012-07-18, 08:30 AM
"We could get another wand--but 330gp buys us four light horses and a pony. Call it another 200 for riding saddles, saddlebags, and other such thingamibobbery. That gets us all mounted and lets us carry a lot more. I know I said I didn't want to mess with animals, and I have no horsey skill, but it's the simplest thing that helps us the most.

"We should spend the rest on food, healers kits maybe. And we definitely take an axe"

She pauses.

"Because I was once in a squad that was stalled for two hours by a cursed 12-foot wide stream. Because nobody had a rope or an axe to fell a tree. Or wanted to admit they didn't. And then everyone just stood around waiting for somebody else to do something. The Cleric finally went spare and wound up rebuking the waters. This worked, somehow."

Wordplay
2012-07-18, 03:05 PM
'If you can trick further false Lord Belkinstair with False Lord Belkinstair, now is the time, my false friend. Otherwise, I'd be grateful if you keep the false Lord Belkinstair occupied'. False Lord Belkinstair whispers to Halabar.

'You there', False Lord Belkinstair summons the nearest person over.

'did you see a figure like to my appearance leave this tent just now? Some false cleric has taken the noble image of Belkinstair! Even now that Cleric tarnishes my name and honour by taking my counterfeit! I demand that you do something about this situation. To show that I am me, wait dullard, watch, to show that I am me, I've made this mark upon my arm'.

False Lord Belkinstair shows an 'x' on his arm.

'What, slack-witted man? Spread the word at once! And fetch me my servant straight! Bring me my vassals too! Why are you still here!' False Lord Belkinstair harangues the man.

Hmm...all technically true, but I'd probably better roll a Bluff check
[roll0]

D_Man_7733
2012-07-18, 06:53 PM
"I am afraid I have never ridden a horse before, but I also have the necessary skill with a wand. I am willing to give it a try, but we must be ready to leave them behind at a moments notice, so we shouldn't put anything we can stand to lose on them, unless we are in the midst of travelling."

Drayner takes a breath, and returns his wands and coin to his belt pouches.

Malak'ai
2012-07-18, 07:59 PM
Raif:
The workman gapes at you, blinking in confusion until you finish your commands, then he nods if vigorously, "Yes m'Lord, right away m'Lord." he stammers before lurching into a run towards the Saltmist encampment, almost tripping over tent ropes, buckets and other objects laying on the ground, having to dodge around the guards, servants and other people in the camp.

Marlowe
2012-07-18, 09:53 PM
"As I said, I would rather not mess with something large, four legged, and with mental faculties barely exceeding that of the average Paladin, but we need speed to cross the rowan without running foul of the Covenanters. Stealth is too much a gamble; we'd only have to be unlucky once."

Wordplay
2012-07-19, 07:13 AM
Raif gives the man a few moments to spread the news. Then struts imperiously to the Saltmist encampment, bellowing orders to find the false cleric as he goes. Then he waits until the camp is in suitable uproar and he has attracted a big enough audience.

Arranis Thelmos
2012-07-19, 08:14 AM
Halabur follows Raif eagerly to see what he does next.

Marlowe
2012-07-19, 09:01 AM
Verossa, of course, has little idea what's going on. But she does ground her glaive suddenly.

"An imposter Saltmist! Why it beggars the imagination! Who would think somebody would want to be him? Except somebody carrying a wand of some high-radius damage spell in the middle of an encampment including most of our commanders! Quickly! My friends! My comrades! To the Saltmist commanderie!! Let's have this out!"

And then she stands there, directing the traffic, and chewing on the scenery.
"Come on! Lads, Lasses, gentlemen of experience! The fate of our alliance may depend on you! And what you do right now!"

((I am scared to make the bluff check, but still:
[roll0]))

EDIT: Of course. She would fail to be a liar at this point.

"Or don't listen to me! I'm just a hyperparanoid chick with a 2-handed slashing weapon!"

Marlowe
2012-07-19, 09:11 AM

((Rerolls probably aren't allowed. But she'd try. And wow, she's having the worst luck ever.))

Wordplay
2012-07-19, 09:29 AM
Bellowing at False Lord Belkinstair's vassals, false Lord Belkinstair cries 'None of us were chosen for the mission. This is clearly a sign the Gods show are displeased with us. Come, I command you all to repair to your lodgings. There, remove your clothes. We will spend the night naked, fasting and purifying ourselves to show the Gods we have heard them, and we repent'. Servants! Take all the clothes; every stitch, go and collect them from the tents, and put every last garment of mine and my vassals into soak overnight! We must scrub away this taint!'

false Lord Belkinstair pauses. 'and when you have done that, take the rest of the day off! Really go out and enjoy yourselves. But first, someone bring me that false Cleric, that's taken noble Belkinstair's appearance!'

Wordplay
2012-07-19, 09:32 AM
I guess that that will need a fresh Bluff roll.
[roll0]

ExtravagantEvil
2012-07-19, 11:09 AM
[roll0]
Sense Motive.

Lord Belkinstir, may we have a word?

I step by him and whisper

Sir, Commands of such a nature, are so, well, unlike you. Are you sure that you truly intend such orders? I hope these orders of yours at least help us reveal the identity of the imposter of Lord Belkinstir

Malak'ai
2012-07-19, 05:32 PM
As the crowd gathers around 'Lord Belkenstair', some listening with wrapped expressions on their faces, others are shaking their head or waving their arms in dismissal.
From deeper in the camp comes a very loud commotion. The rattling of weapons and clank of armour can be heard coming closer and closer until finally a group of knights start pushing through the crowd, forcing their way to the front.
From the center of the encircling knights, Lord Belkenstair, Steward of Saltmist steps forward, "WHAT IS THIS?! WHAT IS GOING ON HERE?! WHO ARE YOU? WHY DO YOU PRETEND TO BE ME? ANSWER OF I'LL HAVE YOU CUT DOWN ON THIS VERY SPOT!" he screams, his chubby face turning a bright crimson which creeps up over his bald scalp.
One of the knights, a tall, solid looking man steps up to the second Steward of Saltmist, slowly drawing a large greatsword from over his shoulder, "You will answer the Lord Saltmist now, or I swear I shall cover this ground with your blood.

The crowd, seeing this exchange between what appears to be an imposter and the real Steward decide it would be better if they did not linger, lest they get accused of treachery and slowly start to go back to what they were doing before the 'Lord' started giving his orders.

D_Man_7733
2012-07-19, 07:03 PM
Drayner watches as the rest of his companions leave the tent, he gives a genuinly amused smile, and runs out of the tent. "See you in about an hour, well, some of us will"

Drayner runs along with the croud and finds a nice area far away, just within earshot, from the Belkinstars to watch all of this unfold.

Marlowe
2012-07-19, 09:47 PM
Well, this is amusing. But way above my pay grade. thinketh Verossa. I think the best place to watch this tableau unfold is "away"

She slips back into the crowd as unobtrusively as a tall, polearm-armed high-charisma woman in the middle of a miltary camp can.

((Wait, she never said which Saltmist she thought was an imposter. She just encouraged the idea that there was one. Then blew the roll. I've got no idea what impression that makes.:smalleek:))

Machuchang
2012-07-19, 11:37 PM
Eleanora watched the proceedings worriedly, trying to stay back and draw as little attention to herself as possible. But when the young knight stepped up to the real Lord Belkenstair's side, she knew that she would have to act.

It was Arrik Lansburg.

The last time she had seen him, she had defeated him in the finals of a tourney joust in Autumnstar. In the aftermath, he had laid low several squires unlucky enough to have ended up in his way, and it took the threat of the entire guard to end his rampage. That was only a few months ago, and Eleanora was willing to bet that was nowhere near enough time for him to have evened out his fearsome temper. He was not the type to suffer slights quietly.

"Arrik!" She called, as she strode into the Saltmist camp. "Stand down! Do you truly wish to spill blood in a meeting of equals? Here? In the gathering of the few remaining free kingdoms?" She gestured to the camps around her. "We are the last bastion of hope left in this land! Would you squander that now, over so petty an insult? If we fight here, than the Covenant has already won!"

Diplomacy:[roll0]

"Lord Saltmist," She said, turning her attention away from the knight for a moment. "I understand that such an attempt on your honor is not to be taken lightly, especially in regards to recent events. But milord Belkenstair, I beg of you, please sort this out with the Council! You need not let this stand, but now is not the time for a confrontation!"

Diplomacy:[roll1]

Marlowe
2012-07-20, 04:50 AM
Verossa does her best to slip through the crowd to stand behind Dame Eleanora in support. Arguing with Knights and almost-monarchs isn't something she's going to do.

Giving my teammate and superior as much support as possible when she's talking sense and doing her job, on the other hand, is precisely my pay grade.

((Aid another. She will remain silent unless addressed. You know, Lawful.))

Arranis Thelmos
2012-07-20, 08:53 AM
Halabur yells at the arriving lord and knight, "There is the false Lord Belkinstair!" and casts Prestidigitation to create a red halo about him. "See!?! He has wrapped himself in illusion magic! "

Wordplay
2012-07-20, 04:15 PM
false Lord Belkinstair glowers at Dame Elenora.

'Alright, fair lady, your words have persuaded me to listen to counsel for now, but I shall be satisfied shortly!'

Then false Lord Belkinstair smiles, and turns to False Lord Belkinstair.

'Be not offended. Surely this guise is more pleasing to you than all others? My point is this: if the sign, the appearance of Lord Belkinstair can be counterfeited so easily, then how shall Lord Belkinstair be known? This perceptive young man gives the answer - by his actions. I called for penance for myself and vassals, and a day off for my servants and he knew me instantly - think on that.

false Lord Belkinstair is speaking very quickly, and dodging, if necessary.

As for your honour, I do mean to challenge it. Think on this, if Lord Belkinstair is to be known by his actions, then his actions today have given us cause to doubt him'.

The false Lord Belkinstair's face screws up in rage in a mimicry of his earlier expression then slowly grows younger, until it is the face of a petulant child. Then Clearsight dismisses the glamour.

'Thank you for bearing with me. I know exactly why you and your vassals were not chosen for this mission. Let me tell you! You are not liars, you are not false, you are not deceitful, cunning or underhand. All qualities which will be richly prized in infiltration.

Raif's voice is slightly clearer, even more youthful - and his way of speaking is quite different from usual.

'Despite this, a good and virtuous nature may be a tool of evil, if it puts the authority of an arbitrary lawgiver before goodness, or trusts too much in it's own goodness to heed the law. Above all think on this, I pray. I give this advice, in the spirit of compassion, and impart this lesson as a gift from my God. All I have done today was for your own benefit'.

Raif turns to the one Elenora called Arrik.

'I note that you were not deceived in your master - or are you - there may be hope for you yet. If you honest men still wish to strike at this Holy man, you may do so'

Bluff check [roll0]

Then it's as if something gives way in the Cleric, and suddenly something about his posture shifts.

'Well, at least we've told all the lie in plain sight on the honest mens' brows'

Marlowe
2012-07-20, 10:42 PM
Verossa keeps her face still, her weapon high, and her eyes on Arrik. But no-one can stop her thinking.

Children's games. This is no time for a Westphalian Fire Drill.

ExtravagantEvil
2012-07-21, 07:21 PM
I stand awestruck through this entire gaff and procedure.

How could this be, not 20 minutes in do I see chaos reign among the team...I cannot stand by this, this is childish nonsense...Now is the time for action.

Oh master of tomfoolery, and knower of all truths and untruths, may you have a word with this righteous doer of good, and your voluntary leader. Surely, you can give

I say gruffly at the end, my voice growing stoic and stiff, away from the over the top parody into vitriol and annoyance as I drag him to the side, seeking an audience

(Will wait for a response from Clearsight before I continue, see if he seeks to escape or get in a word edgewise

D_Man_7733
2012-07-21, 08:36 PM
Drayner carefully checks through all of his equipment, while standing back making sure his kit is inside the bedroll, his belt pouches carefully tied, and cloak done up correctly, checks and polishes his spyglass before giving it a quick look through.

After the full check he looks around, before taking a comforting position, watching the charade continue to unfold, trying to hold back laughter at some points, while allowing chuckles to slip through at others.

OOC:
Unless anything particularly interesting happens, Drayner will just wait until the hour is up, or someone draws attention to him.

Wordplay
2012-07-22, 07:55 AM
Clearsight doesn't attempt to escape as Daranad Zophokiel launches into his speech. Indeed, Clearsight smiles and nods attentively.

But Clearsight does circle surreptitiously around Zophokiel slowly, so that Zophokiel is between Clearsight, and Lord Belkinstair and Arrik. Clearsight also puts a hand on Halabur to manoeuvre him behind Zophokiel as well.

When Zophokiel points out that he is leader Clearsight responds.

'Indeed, you are our leader, and as your follower, I should take no action without your approval'.

Then Clearsight lets Zophokiel continue, keeping an eye on Lord Belkinstair and Arrik.

Malak'ai
2012-07-22, 08:26 PM
Arrik backs down a step as Eleanora strides up, berating him about his actions, he watches as she then turn to the Lord Steward and does the same. The tall woman with the glaive behind her looking ready to strike if need be.
He thinks back to that day on the tourny ground and scowls, but slowly nods along with Dame Wench, at least she's talking sense.

"Oh believe me, the Council will here about this Dame, and I will be making sure that all of you are thrown in chains! The Lord Stewards voices calls out from behind Arrik, just before the little, brightly dressed Gnome jumps forwards, pointing at Lord Belkenstair.
Arrik turns to see the red glow around his Leige, not truely understanding what, not hearing what the little 'man' said afterwards.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

"You dare carry on with these insults?! Not only will you rot in chains, I'll have you paraded through the streets where even the lowliest begger can see they are above you! Belkenstair screams, his anger rising even more, fire of pure hate igniting in his stomach as the pretender carries on.
"Oh, I can see the truth as clearly as you, oh yes. You're all in league with that Devil worshipper! All this subterfuge, all this gile... Yes, you tricked your way into being chosen for the Council's fool gambit, now you're going to running back to your true masters so you can tell them everything!.... MEN! SEIZE THEM! Arrik! Go fetch the Council so they can see that I have saved us all from these treacherous creatures of darkness! Belkenstair chokes out as he starts laughing, ignoring anything else said to try and persuade him to reconsider.

Marlowe
2012-07-22, 11:57 PM
Verossa, letting etiquette slide, lifts her glaive skyward. " Soldiers! Stand fast! No-one seizes anyone in the camp of the alliance! No-one worships any devil, or is a devil, or has made so much as a complimentary remark about devils. These men are fools, but they're our fools! Let us stop wasting time and point them in the right direction so they can pull these peregrinations on the foe we can all name!"

((Please be good))
Diplomacy:[roll0]

She nods to Dame Eleanora and adds in a somewhat lower voice;"Beg pardon, Ser Dame. Anticipating your leave."

Machuchang
2012-07-23, 01:44 AM
Eleanora nodded back to Verossa, as a grim expression crept across her face.

"Lord Belkenstair, I humbly request you rescind your slanderous accusations," Eleanora said, with an icy tinge to her voice. "My compatriot here speaks the truth; we are all innocent of the crime you have laid upon us. Fetch the Council if you must set your mind at rest, for we are guiltless! But, Lord Saltmist, should you insist upon your calumnious manner of conduct," She rested her hand on the hilt of her sword. "I shall brook no further disrespect toward my companions or Lord, and will defend their honor accordingly."

Diplomacy:[roll0] (If another roll is allowed, otherwise Aid Another on Verossa)

Malak'ai
2012-07-23, 03:27 AM
Drayner:
From your vantage point on the hill you can see the confrontation that is happening. You see the real Lord Belkenstair pointing at the rest of your new companions, the big Knight who had been threatening the Cleric running off back towards the main encampment and the rest of the gathered Saltmist men-at-arms start to surround your companions.

Verossa & Eleanora:
(OOC: I'm going to use Verossa's diplomacy roll backed up with the Aid Another from Eleanora)

As Sir Arrik turns to run, following Belkenstair's orders the other gathered Saltmist men-at-arms place hands on weapons or raise shields, taking slow steps towards you and your companions until Verossa makes her speech, followed up by Dame Eleanora's. They look from side to side, looking unsure of what to do, torn between obeying their lord and following the heartfelt pleas of a known battle leader and an annointed Knight of the Realms.

Wordplay
2012-07-23, 04:37 AM
Raif Clearsight smiles as Lord Belkinstair raves.

'Lower than the worst beggar? I've been there. I've lived that life. I fled into chains to escape it'.

Whilst Belkinstair rants, Raif slowly unties the string at the neck of his vestments and pulls back the top so that his torso is exposed. Then Raif Clearsight turns to reveal his back. It's a mass of scars-he's clearly been flogged on several occasions. Clearsight turns back

'There's nothing that you could do to me that the cult and its people haven't done already, save kill me. Will you treat me as they did? I ask you to recall the point I tried to make about our actions and ourselves'.

'Yet please, know that my companions had nothing to do with this. Do not blame them for my transgressions. After all, we've only just met'.

When Belkinstair mentions the Council, Clearsight looks puzzled.

'The Council? But they saw me transform, did they not? They said something needed to be done about Lord Belkinstair. I thought that this was their wish?'

Marlowe
2012-07-23, 04:58 AM
Verossa briefly drops to one knee and up again. I'd usually bow, but I don't want to keep my eyes off them.

"Lord Berkinstair, I pardon my rank, and I speak with all respect to remind you that you are the Steward of Saltmist, not my master or general. You have no authority over the Chosen of the Council except by courtesy. You have been wronged here. Foolishly. But you have no right, reason, or authority to order us detained.

"We will deal with these jackanapes, and put them to our own discipline for the insult they have offered you." She gives Raif and Halabur a Look. "And then we shall get on with saving the world. Which includes Saltmist, if my education was not in error."

D_Man_7733
2012-07-23, 05:50 AM
Drayner sets his bedrool under his cloak, and begins to walk down to the group, and stands behind the big knight before speaking, to no-one in particular. (positioning himself, outside the group of soldiers that are surrounding his new-found assosciates)

Move Silently: [roll0]

"LORD BELKINSTAR!... are you saying you question your superiors decision? Their choice of us? You are still a soldier, and it is about time you started ACTING like one, you are condemning not only you, but everyone who follows you as well. You have expressed that you believe we weren't the right choice, but right now would you pick yourself to go on this mission? Questioning a superior, what would you allow if somebody questioned an order you gave?"

Drayner takes a deep breath and prepares his voice for one final statement.

"THIS MATTER DOES NOT NEED TO ESCALATE! CALL OFF YOUR MEN, AND WE CAN LEAVE THIS MATTER BE!"

Depending on what is needed [roll1]
+9 if bluff (I don't think I lied)
+5 if diplomacy
+4 if Intimidate

Wordplay
2012-07-23, 09:58 AM
You're going to get us all chained...it was important for our ministry...no, it was important for us. It's not fair to get others in trouble. Maybe it might have worked, but it clearly didn't

Raif prostrates himself before Lord Belkinstair.

'I am deeply sorry, Lord Belkinstair. Please believe me, I intended no slight to your honour, and I throw myself upon your mercy. Please know also, that this was my idea alone, and that I acted alone in it. Whatever I may have thought, this was a mistake'.

Arranis Thelmos
2012-07-23, 08:49 PM
"We humbly apologize oh lord, we were all fooled by this trickster. As for my actions, I thought I was defending your person. I beg forgiveness oh great lord." Halabur lies through a facade of tears.

Bluff: [roll0]

Edit: YEEEEEEESSSSSSS!!!! :smallcool:

Malak'ai
2012-07-24, 04:12 AM
The soldiers, seeming to be swayed more by your arguments than by the irate, senseless commands from their lord, step back, letting weapons drop back into scabbards, lowering shield. Even the Saltmist Knights stop their advance.
Glancing from side to side Belkenstair frowns as he see's his men hesitating, "What are you waiting for you fools?! I gave you an order! SEIZE THEM!"
Seeing that no one is going to follow the commands he snarls, "If you're all too craven, then I'll do it myself!" he rages as he draws his sword, stepping forward and taking a swing at the prostrate Cleric.

Before the blade can come into contact it stops, mere inches from the back of Raif's head, Belkenstair's whole body rigid.
From behind you hear the raised voices in multiple different languages, one voice standing out the most, Tahlruamy's.
"This is not acceptable... not at all. You six," he points at you, "To my tent now! Fernard, relieve Lord Saltmist of his weapons and post a watch over him. The rest of you, BACK TO YOUR POSTS!" Shouts the Elf Lord, his face a mask of fury, his other arm outstretched towards the stricken Steward, the rest of the Council gathered around behind him, all except the old Human Queen.

Marlowe
2012-07-24, 05:27 AM
Verossa steps forwards and drags Raif back by the rear of his collar, swings him around, and walks him away in the indicated direction."Now you," she says cheerfully. "Have six options, you can be disciplined by me, you can be disciplined by the Dame, you can be disciplined by the orator, you can be disciplined by the gnome or you can disciplined by Mr Eldritch. Care to guess the sixth one?"

Wordplay
2012-07-24, 06:45 AM
'Disciplined by you all?'

Raif Clearsight sighs

'It's going to be the sixth one isn't it?'

Marlowe
2012-07-24, 08:47 AM
"Good heavens, it's possible you do have some wisdom"

D_Man_7733
2012-07-26, 02:51 AM
Drayner smiles to himself before turning around, and going to Tahlruamy's tent, his cloak billowing behind him. And things were just about to get interesting Drayner approaches Tahlruamy silently and either follows his directions to his tent if he gives them, otherwise he waits behind Tahlruamy.

Wordplay
2012-07-26, 02:59 AM
Raif Clearsight uses his wisdom, and stays silent. Waiting to see how things play out.

'Remember, this life is just a trick, this flesh just an illusion. Pain is but a fancy. What more proof do you need, when just by changing your mind you can ravel up one, and dispel the other? Remember, we're already dead anyway'

Raif glances at Lord Belkinstair.

I feel so sorry for him. No matter what I tried, I couldn't save him. Poor slave'.

Marlowe
2012-07-26, 04:55 AM
Verossa gives Raif a slight shove. "Come on then, we need to go and get yelled at by Lord-Protector Pointytemper. Which we all deserve, because any of us could and should have stopped you to check what your plan was, and nobody did."

She looks at the distant horizon, and smiles."I knew some people who thought they need answer to no one. I knew some people that preferred to work alone. I knew some people that thought they were lone wolves, not needing to work with others, not needing their support or advice. And I say "knew" because all those people are dead now".

Marlowe
2012-07-26, 08:37 PM
She turns back to others, conscious of a strange vaccum behind her that should be filled with adventurers. "All right, friends. You heard his Lordship. We report to him! Now! AS INSTRUCTED AND COMMANDED! Now let's get moving. Beg, pardon, Ser Dame. Anticipating your order."

ExtravagantEvil
2012-07-26, 11:29 PM
I listen intently as the events progress, nodding as I march beside Verossa, awaiting the word of our Imperial overlords, the chafe of their command impugning my ability to lead. Once we cross enemy lines, I will spread my influence.

Indeed! Now that we have regained a semblance of unity, we shall march on, fight on, and with the winds of the gods carrying us, lead our missions with success, and glory!

I say, walking backwards a moment, to speak proudly to the party.

Wordplay
2012-07-27, 02:33 AM
Clearsight walks away with Verossa, Daranad, and anyone else who happens to be with them.

'Semblance...hehehe'

Spot Check to see what Daranad's about to walk into
[roll]1d20+4[roll]

Wordplay
2012-07-27, 02:35 AM
Sorry [roll0]

Machuchang
2012-07-27, 04:16 AM
Eleanora's heart stopped as soon as she saw Tahlruamy.

I never should have let this happen! This is all my fault! She ran her hand across her face. I must make sure that no such thing will ever happen again. We will succeed in our mission. No matter what.

Verossa's voice pulled her from her thoughts.

"Yes indeed," Eleanora gave the hexblade a small smile. "And please, there is no cause for your deference, friend. We are all equals here, and your order is at the very least as good as mine."

She then turned her attention to the orator, and couldn't help but let out a grin.

"Well said. Well said indeed. Together, we truly can succeed."

Arranis Thelmos
2012-07-27, 11:57 AM
Halabur shivered at the cold hate in the nobleman's voice.

Maybe this wasn't such a good idea... he wonders to himself.

His thoughts were confirmed when*Tahlruamy himself came to discipline them, his arrival causing Halabur to jump as high as the Hexblade was tall.

We're dead. We're dead. We're so very dead.*

He turns to Verossa, "I fear we are in serious trouble now. I beg of you, please eat me. I'd rather be tasted by your tongue than feel the wrath of Tahlruamy's."

Malak'ai
2012-07-27, 07:21 PM
Drayner:
As you stand quietly behind the Elven Lord as he tries to settle the hubbub caused by Raif and Belkenstair you notice that he doesn't appear to actually be angry anymore though his face is still a strained mask.
"Yes Mr Drayner? Was there something you did not understand about going and waiting at my tent?" he says, not even turning his head.

Varossa, Raif, Daranard, Eleanora, Halabur:
As you make your way back to the Council Pavilion and then onto the Elven encampment you notice the change in layout and distribution of the tents and guards. The elves seem far more organized than the humans, there doesn't appear to be any division between the different Kingdoms.
In the center is a large tent, almost as large as the Council Pavilion itself. On a pole outside it is flying a flag of a Crowned Oak tree with an arrow overlayed the center on a field of sky blue.
Next to that there is a small, drab looking tent. It appears barely big enough to house one person, above it is a small pendant with the same Oak tree but without the crown and with a sword running the length of the trunk on a green field.

Wordplay
2012-07-27, 07:45 PM
Clearsight starts smiling when he sees the little tent.

'Misdirection, or a double bluff? Either way delightful. Looks roomy'.

Knowledge History [roll0]

D_Man_7733
2012-07-27, 07:57 PM
"I'm afraid I don't now where your tent is, but I guess I'll manage. Drayner sighs a little, before he asks someone who is likely to know where Tahl's tent is.

Gather Information:

[roll0]
I know this is going to end badly

Marlowe
2012-07-27, 08:05 PM
Verossa nods to the knight. "Pardon the obsequience, ma'am" Hopefully, that's an appropriate expression."A girl in my position needs to pay attention to her station, or risk finding her position changing to flat on her back. You, gnome, nobody's eating anyone. Save your fear for those that actually mean you harm. There'll be enough in the weeks to come. Monsters and murderers, fire and blood, darkness and terror. War. It'll be wonderful," she smiled.

"Ah, we're here," she said redundantly but decisively. "Blossemwood insurgent team reporting as ordered!" she shouts, then adds over her shoulder, "we need a better name."

Malak'ai
2012-07-27, 08:11 PM
Raif:
You know that the Crowned Oak is the symbol of the Elven High King, and that the Royal family also use the uncrowned version on their own pennants

Drayner:
Tahlruamy blinks, his eyes lightening a little but nothing else shows on his face.
When you start asking around where his tent is, you feel a tug on the side of your pants, looking down you see the little Halfling woman from the Pavilion who shone like the sun. "Come with me sweetie, I'll take you... We might even make it to the tent" she chimes, winking and smiling at you before grabbing your hand and trying to drag you off.

D_Man_7733
2012-07-27, 08:20 PM
Drayner raises an eyebrow briefly before going along with the halfling.

"Might I at least learn your name first? As I'm sure you already know mine."

Sense Motive:

[roll0]
to see if this is going where I think it's going.

Malak'ai
2012-07-27, 08:59 PM
Drayner:
She turns her head, looking at you, eyes still shining, "I'm Nialise." she says as she giggles, tugging harder on your hand, following the general direction that the other have gone in.

You've noticed this sort of behavior before, you have a fair idea where it might lead. You are a little unsure about it would work between you and a Halfling though.

Marlowe
2012-07-27, 09:11 PM
((Verossa's moved to the small tent. I'm sorry I didn't put that in the post. I was distracted by my internet dying every 5 minutes))

D_Man_7733
2012-07-27, 10:38 PM
"well, I don't want to be late, so this little detour will have to be quick"

Drayner just smiles breifly, while keeping up with the halfing as they walk.

Machuchang
2012-07-28, 12:31 AM
"Well, you won't have to worry about that with me." Eleanora said as she followed Verossa into the tent.

Marlowe
2012-07-28, 12:42 AM
Wisdom check:[roll0]

"Why not, dammit?" Verossa mutters out loud, then blushes bright crimson.

Wordplay
2012-07-28, 07:17 AM
Raif leans over to Halabur and whispers

'Well played. The truest illusions are the most feigning. I've no illusions that our illusions will disillusion those who buy into this false truth'.

Clearsight gestures at their surroundings.

'Your reward as promised, I'll tell you 200 golden lies'.

Clearsight hands over 200 gold to Halabur, then walks into the tent.

Arranis Thelmos
2012-07-28, 09:06 AM
"Lies well sung my friend" Halabur whispers back as he pockets the gold and follows him into the tent.

Malak'ai
2012-07-28, 09:29 PM
Varossa, Eleanora, Raif, Halabur, Daranard:
Upon enter the Elven lords tent you notice how sparsly furnished it is, containing not much more than a camp stretcher, though it looks un-used, with one chest at the foot, an armour stand with a set of very finely crafted and ornate full plate armour of a pale silver with golden inlays in the shapes of leaves and vines all over it. A stack of books of all shapes and sizes with various runes and inscriptions on the covers, a small one open upon the lecturn in the corner and finally a small camp desk, covered in numerous pages of writing in all different languages.

Drayner:
Nialise smiles "Hopefully not too quick." and winks again, taking you, to your surprise, to the rear of the Elven encampment, not the Halfling section.
She leads you into quite a large tent filled with various containers and pots, all filled with a wide variaty of sprouting plants and even a few small sapling trees.
Sitting on the floor with her legs crossed, her face suddenly blank of expression, Nialise looks up at you, "I know who you are Drayner, I know What you are... Before this is through, you'll have your chance. Your chance for vengance or redeption. I do know when. I do not know how you will choose, but for the sake of us all, I hope you choose well."
She blinks and shakes her head, then smiles up at you, giggling, "Sorry, that happens sometimes. Now... where were we?" she says, slipping her robe down, revealing small, pale shoulders.

Marlowe
2012-07-28, 10:33 PM
No place for waste in Caesar's tent, I see, thinks Verossa. Maybe we have been forward in our appointment.

With no-one else to acknowledge, she salutes the armour stand, and steps to the left of the entrance, bringing her Glaive into a practiced parade rest.

"Two to one, somebody will try to go through his gear or at least read his private correspondence." she says, very quietly and softly. "And three for one, he's already here, invisible or otherwise hidden, waiting for someone to try just that."

D_Man_7733
2012-07-28, 11:26 PM
Drayner's face goes white with astonishment as she talks... he clenches his fists by his side, "eh....." he manages to get out of his mouth before she returns to "normal".

How.... how does she know this, how many know this? Drayner thinks to himself quickly before removing his cloak quickly and resting it on one of the branches of the trees towards the entrance of the tent and the resting the rest of his gear against the pot. "So... are you a prophet of some sort?" He flashes a smile to her to let her know he was still in a good mood though.

As he turns and smiles at her he uses detect magic to see if the large magical energy was still there. (for only about 1 second as he is getting undressed)

Bluff to hide the fact he is still a little nervous about what just transpired: [roll0]

(trained) Knowledge: Arcana to work out what happened: [roll1] + anything that I might get from detect magic (although I doubt it)

I probably shouldn't get the knowledge instantaniously with the nervousness, and what is going on at the moment so it should work out to have the answer afterwards.

Malak'ai
2012-07-28, 11:37 PM
Drayner:
The little Halfling woman laughs "No, I'm no Prophet. Though sometimes I am able to see into peoples hearts. Now get down here silly." she says, reaching up and grabbing the front of your trousers.

There is a small amount of magic showing in the tent, but from her there is only a very faint glow coming from her robe now.

You know there are many different types of spells that could allow her to read your mind or see your future, but you don't know which one she could have used to work out the "What you are" part of her speech.

Arranis Thelmos
2012-07-29, 12:08 AM
Halabur immediately heads over to the books and starts looking through them. As he looks he is brought back to earth by Verossa's whispered warning. Blushing wildly, he carefully rearranges everything and rushes over by her. "Sorry." he whispers.

Wordplay
2012-07-29, 05:45 AM
Clearsight chuckles

I like the way you think, m'Lady, or at least the way you seem to think'. Then he frowns 'but perhaps we deceive ourselves in this'

Then Raif gazes around the tent contentedly, not touching anything, or moving, but just looking about.

'Well either way, it's easily determined'. Raif Clearsight whispers under his breath and moves his hands.

Detect Magic

Whilst he's doing this, Clearsight chimes up, 'So, what do we think of the Blossomwood plan? It's a good plan...for a glorious death'. Then Raif Clearsight smiles 'I had something a little more...ignominious in mind'.

Malak'ai
2012-07-29, 05:57 AM
Raif:
As you look around with Detect Magic you see a few of the larger books glow, one really old one seems to show up very strongly.
The armour also shines, so bright that it starts to hurt your eyes.
As your gaze moves further, you see not only the chest glowing dimly but also a few of the rolled up parchments on the desk.
Also, like you would expect, the tent it's self is showing signs of being enchanted.

Wordplay
2012-07-29, 06:06 AM
Raif tries to surreptitiously read the title of the older book.

Not quite sure what's most appropriate to roll here.
Buff: [roll0]
Untrained Search [roll1]
Untrained Spot [roll2]

Malak'ai
2012-07-29, 06:12 AM
Raif:
While trying to make it look as though your not trying to read the title of the book, your body language screams out that that is exactly what your doing.
You see a title on the spine, 8 runes long, but you have no idea what they say, you don't even have any idea what language they might be in

Arranis Thelmos
2012-07-30, 07:48 AM
Halabur tries to read the title of the same book, as he is proficient in Undercommon, Elven, Orc, and goblin. If he's not successful, he tries to determine the type of magic surrounding the book.

Knowledge Arcana [roll0]

Marlowe
2012-07-30, 12:02 PM
Verossa sighs, and beats the butt of her glaive against the floor.

Machuchang
2012-07-30, 12:43 PM
Eleanora looked around nervously. She had hoped they were past this.

"Are you sure you want to go through with this?" She said, giving a stern look to the gnome and the cleric.

Malak'ai
2012-07-30, 05:12 PM
Halabur:
Glancing at the book you take a quick look at the runes. They are in the Drow dialect of Undercommon. The title of the book seems to read: The Power of Demons and Devils: Pacts and Drawbacks.

Wordplay
2012-07-30, 05:52 PM
'Go through with what, hmm?'

Clearsight turns about.

'Waiting in the Prince's tent? Certainly, for a while anyway. Infiltrating the Cult's lands and bringing them to ruin? It's my heart's fondest wish. Going in through the Blossemwood? As I was saying, I think that it's a quick and glorious death. Death doesn't really concern me, but I was hoping for it to be long and ignominious'.

Raif thinks for a moment

'Oh, or do you mean the book? Why, there's no harm in just admiring it, is there? It's not even as if I can read Draconic anyway. I learnt to read fairly late in life myself, and so I'm full of admiration for the written word. To see such a beautiful book fills my heart with joy'.

Raif Clearsight's eyes narrow.

'And what a shame it is, that so many books are so very rare, confined to the libraries of the great, the good and the high. If only there were some way to make knowledge available to whoever sought it - then we should light a fire like a beacon amidst the darkness'.

Raif Clearsight smiles.

'But perhaps you're right, we should not intrude upon the hospitality of our host. Come my friend'. With that, Raif Clearsight tugs Halabur's sleeve gently to lead him away from the book.

Arranis Thelmos
2012-07-30, 07:34 PM
Halabur's eyes widen, Holy-- he begins in shock. Guys... This is a book on making demonic pacts. That's a bad thing, right? Why would Tahlruamy keep this?

Untrained Knowledge (nobility) check: [roll0] on Tahlruamy.

Edit: I rolled so bad, I'll say my character isn't even pronouncing Tahlruamy's name right. :smalltongue:

Marlowe
2012-07-30, 07:36 PM
"Prince? We don't know even if he has a title. But he can manhandle the Steward of Saltmist in front of monarchs and get away with it, which means he's nobody we want to anger. We were told to present ourselves. That doesn't mean we have a warrant to go through his underwear drawer."

Verossa takes one step forward. "Perhaps if you gentlemen are tired of trying to get us all killed or reprimanded we might continue the late discussion? It's nice you two have the spare tin to waste on side bets with each other, but we need to sort out assets and purchases, not asses and doofuses."

Her head turns slightly to address Halabur, "Speaking as a Hexblade, I haved never heard being a Binder was a treasonable offense. In any event, he may well be studying the methods of the enemy. Whatever it's about, I can tell you that it's not yours and none of our business."

Malak'ai
2012-07-30, 08:23 PM
Halabur:
You know nothing about him, you have only just learned he exisits

Malak'ai
2012-07-31, 12:43 AM
After waiting, alone in the tent for whats seems to be an inordinate amount of time, the tent flaps open to reveal the Elven Lord, carrying a pile of saddles. Dropping them on the ground at your feet they spill over, revealing four of medium size and one smaller.
As he walks past you he reaches up and pulls a bag from his shoulder and throws it towards Verossa without turning. "Right now, I hope you've got that out of your system. It's going to take a lot, and I mean A LOT of effort to placate Belkenstair. He's threatening to pull his forces back to Saltmist. That wouldn't bother the Council, or me, too much except we need his ships. Without them the Covenant has the advantage over us at sea."
Moving over to the stretcher he finally turns, you see his face shows a slight hint of a smile, "Though I did enjoy seeing that pompous fool shown for the egotistical pig that he is. Unfortunately, because of your little escapade, I was not able to return to Rubyleaf to gather some of the things you requested. In the bag is what I was able to grab here in camp."
Sitting down, he looks you over, "Where's the other one? Drayner?"

Marlowe
2012-07-31, 01:24 AM
Don't be a smartie. Don't be a smartie. Don'tdon'tdon't.

"Sir", Verossa stepped forwards. "The honourable gentleman regrets his absence. He was forced to feel with a sudden attack of--incontinence, such as he regularly suffers at times when he is not fearless exposing himself to personal danger."

Stupid girl.

D_Man_7733
2012-07-31, 03:55 AM
Drayner opens the tent flap, a little hastily, and clips up his cloak once the flap is open. "sorry for being late, I got a little... sidetracked, Drayner smiles to himself briefly before continueing."There was something Nialise had to tell me." Drayner runs quickly over his apparel, checking that his cloak is properly clipped, bedroll tied, belt pouches in place.

Before he starts speaking again, he readjusts his pants as quickly as is possible, hoping that nobody notices.

"Did I miss anything?" Drayner's eyes drop to the saddles "heh... well this is a less-than-pleasant change." He walks to stand in line with the others, watching Tahlrumy, and looking around the tent, to get used to his new surroundings.

Spot: [roll0]

I don't think I lied in any part of my speech.

Marlowe
2012-07-31, 04:26 AM
"Hope you washed your hands." grinned Verossa out of the corner of her mouth.

D_Man_7733
2012-07-31, 04:31 AM
In response to Verossa, Drayner whispers to her out of the corner of his smiling mouth. "Wouldn't you like to know."

Marlowe
2012-07-31, 04:34 AM
"That's a no then is it?"

Malak'ai
2012-07-31, 04:35 AM
Tahlruamy looks straight at Drayner as he enters, listening to his explaination, "Well I hope your feeling better Mr Drayner," he looks back to the tent flap as it rustles again as the Halfling woman walks in, "I'm sure Nialise was just briefing you on some important... parts of the mission." he continues, eyeing Nialise strangely. She just smiles and walks over, sitting on the stool next to the desk.

"Anyway, now you've all arrived, I'll get to the point." Tahlruamy starts again, "The mission you've been given is one of upmost importance. We need you to not only get behind the Covenant's lines and cause problems for them, but you also need to find out what Altaranis Mosoleon's plan actually is. So far all we know is that he's gathering power for something." he finishes, looking you all over again.
"How you do this is entirely up to you, but I can not stress the importance of this enough.", sighing and running a hand over his face, "I'll try to answer any other questions you have as candidly as I can, but there are somethings I just cannot reveal. Incase you fail. I hope you understand." he says as he leans back again, his face now looking drained, his shoulders sagging as through under a great weight.

Drayner:
You see a camp stretcher, that Tahlruamy is now sitting on, with one chest at the foot, an armour stand with a set of very finely crafted and ornate full plate armour of a pale silver with golden inlays in the shapes of leaves and vines all over it. A stack of books of all shapes and sizes with various runes and inscriptions on the covers, a small one open upon the lecturn in the corner and finally a small camp desk, covered in numerous pages of writing in all different languages.

D_Man_7733
2012-07-31, 04:42 AM
Drayner sighs slightly at Verossa"actually yes, it may be a shock to you, but I view my hygenic condition rather highly"

When Nialise enters Drayner flashes a brief smile at her before adressing Tahlrumy when he finishes. "well, as was my question to begin with, how may we contact you during this mission if we find anything. What resistance can we expect, and do you have a recommended point for us to head for?"

Marlowe
2012-07-31, 04:44 AM
Verossa nods."Understood, sir. I've seen what they do to prisoners, and in what order they do it in. I've no intention of failing, or surviving failure. And I hope to speak for all on that.

So, O'Tyrant Mausoleum's gathering power. This some "harvest-the-souls-of-the-innocent-to-power-a-ritual-that-will-summon-something-to-eat-the-world" gambit? Or do we suspect him of being original?"

Carefully, she fishes the bag off the blade of her Glaive, being careful not to tear it.

Malak'ai
2012-07-31, 06:21 AM
Lifting his hand a little, pointing towards Verossa, "The answer to your question Mr Drayner, is as before. The pendant is in the bag. It will allow you to communicate to me directly up to three times a day, though you will need to keep your reports brief. Where you go beyond Blossomwood is up to you, and what you may encounter, I have no idea. We have not had word from any of our scouting parties in weeks. As for your enquiry Ms Carmine, as I said, your guess on what Mosoleon's plan is is as good as mine at this stage, though I have not ever heard of a summoning ritual that would require that number of souls." the Elven Lord answers in a wary voice.

The little Halfling Woman jumps up, moving over to his side, mumbling quietly as her hand starts to glow, touching it Tahlruamy's back, causing him to arch forwards for just a moment before he sits back up, looking as fresh as if he had just woken up from a good nights sleep.

D_Man_7733
2012-07-31, 06:31 AM
Knowledge: Arcana (what just happened with Tahlrumy and Nialise) [roll0]

please be high, please be high.
EDIT: :smallfurious:

Also using detect magic, and looking ALL over the tent (from my current position), but focusing on Tahlrumy and me. (I am getting a feeling about this)

Raising an eyebrow at what just transpired between Tahlrumy and Nialise, Drayner begins to speak. "Well that answers my questions, unless anybody else has any questions? I guess the last thing to ask is... what's our cue to cross the border? Once that's all done we can make our leave" An unusual seriousness creeps into his voice towards the end, and he waits eyes locked on Tahlurmy, occaionally darting around the room.

Malak'ai
2012-07-31, 06:39 AM
Drayner:
You come to the conclusion she used some sort of healing magic on him.
Also as you look around with Detect Magic you see a few of the larger books glow, one really old one seems to show up very strongly.
The armour also shines, so bright that it starts to hurt your eyes.
As your gaze moves further, you see not only the chest glowing dimly but also a few of the rolled up parchments on the desk.
Also, like you would expect, the tent it's self is showing signs of being enchanted.
The bag Varossa is holding shows signs of being magical.
When you focus on Tahlruamy, you see what you did before, him glowing from head to foot. The two swords criss-crossing his back still show the most power with their bright crimson glow.

Wordplay
2012-07-31, 07:05 AM
'Indeed, I look forward to trekking through the Blossemwood'. Clearsight chimes in.

When the war's over he adds mentally.

Raif Clearsight continues to think. Curious fellows. They disapprove of the stratagems of Master Halabur and myself. Then tell bare faced lies with the truth. Incontinence- incontinence indeed. Yet we and Halabur make a game of it, that's the difference. And a game is unsettling when it's too true to life- it strikes near the heart of the truth: all this is itself a game of illusions and lies'.

Or perhaps they're worried we don't play the game well enough. Interesting. Also, we play the game for different things. I for souls and truth. Halabur, partly for amusement, which is the only sane response to life. Dame Elenor, unless I'm much mistaken, plays it for a particular lie. I wonder what the others play for?'

Arranis Thelmos
2012-07-31, 11:42 AM
Knowledge: Arcana (what just happened with Tahlrumy and Nialise)[roll0]

I guess we have horses, so we will travel soon?

Malak'ai
2012-07-31, 03:18 PM
Halabur:
Though you can barely hear what the Halfling chanted, you know a Lesser Restoration spell when you see it. Your best guess to what happened was that she washed away the fatigue that Tahlruamy was suffering from.

Malak'ai
2012-07-31, 07:10 PM
The Elven Lord laughs as Halabur mentions the horses, "No my little trickster. They" he says as he points to everyone else, "have horses. You. You have a pony." he finishes, eyes shining with mirth.
"I know some of you have a aversion to riding", he looks straight at Verossa, "but time is of the essence. As I told you earlier, the Ironstand Dwarves will be making a push against the Hand's forces. That thrust will start in two days with probing attacks to get the enemies attention and draw their forces. In four days, the main attack will happen and that's your opportunity to get across and make your way to Blossomwood. It is your decision if you carry on by horseback after you reach the battle lines, but you'll need to endure their discomfort until then."

Arranis Thelmos
2012-07-31, 07:13 PM
My little pony! Halabur cries in glee.

OOC: Yeah. I soooo went there. :smalltongue:

Wordplay
2012-07-31, 07:46 PM
'Mmm, yes there's good eating on one of those. My thanks, my Lord. I'm sure m'Lady Carmine can provide us with a recipe, and perhaps another one of her charming dinner anecdotes about her past dinning companions. My own repetoire is sadly limited'.

Clearsight looks thoughtful for a moment.

'Both in anecdotes and the culinary arts, I'm afraid'.

Clearsight smiles wryly.

'Just as we escape Lord Belkinstair, I find that we're to swap the company of one smelly ill-tempered beast for another'.

Machuchang
2012-07-31, 08:45 PM
"I'm afraid I can't share that sentiment, Clearsight," Eleanora said as she tried to hide a smirk at Raif's words and failed. You give the horses too little credit. She almost said, but caught herself. No sense in taking shots at the Lord behind his back. And besides, now was the time for unity, and who would she be if she contradicted her own word?

"My Lord," She turned her attention to Tahlruamy. "I have a question. Will we be taking part in the Ironstand's battle, or will we merely be using it as a diversion?" She scanned the party. All looked strong and well-prepared enough, but in the heat of battle, she wasn't sure if she could guarantee all of their safety.

Malak'ai
2012-07-31, 09:10 PM
Tahlruamy nods as Dame Eleanora voices her query, "The Dwarves thrust against the enemy, while a full offensive of it's own, is a ploy to draw the Hand and their forces away to give you the opening to get through the lines. From the intelligence we do have, if the Dwarves do not draw attention, you would be going into five full companies of mixed troops along that boarder alone." he states, looking dead serious.
"I don't doubt that your efforts would be greatly accepted by King Danithar, but he more than enough men for this offensive."

Marlowe
2012-07-31, 09:15 PM
Verossa nods. "Agreed, the point of a diversion is for the coup de main to fall somewhere else. We could hardly amount to than a pretty detail in the main battle, the six of us. Getting to the Blossemwood with our skins and gear intact should be our priority."

Having quietly told her mother to suck eggs, Verossa has her own question. "Any details on what are these five companies? Make-up and organisation?"

Malak'ai
2012-07-31, 09:29 PM
"The best guess I could give you at the moment is a mix of Humans, Elves and Dwarves, along with large numbers of Goblinoids and Orcs. This is only a guess though." Tahlruamy says, standing and walking over to the camp desk, looking through the papers and then selecting one, "Ah yes, not all of these troops are volunteers. The Hand are supplementing their Southern armies with the enslaved peoples of the region." he adds, passing the parchment to Eleanora, "Though they are never in large enough concentrations to successfully rebel".

Marlowe
2012-07-31, 09:35 PM
Verossa actually gives a short sharp laugh of sheer disgust. "Marvellous. We'll be slaying those whom we ought to be delivering succour. Well, the blame is Ol' Mouseys, not mine."

Malak'ai
2012-07-31, 11:46 PM
"Yes, as you well know Ms. Carmine, sometimes in war things happen that we wish didn't, and sometimes we end up having to fight those we wish to save." the Elven Lord states as he returns to sitting on the stretcher.

Machuchang
2012-08-01, 02:56 AM
Eleanora bit her lip. The covenant had an army of conscripts. She hadn't anticipated that.

Upon becoming a knight, Eleanora made a vow. A vow that, for as long as could still draw breath, she would defend the meek and innocent. But to her lord, she had promised to persevere and see any endeavor she began to the end. And now...

It all came down to her loyalty to her lord, or her loyalty to herself.

So much for the contradictions... Eleanora thought as she took the parchment. Tahlruamy couldn't be more right.

Malak'ai
2012-08-01, 11:46 PM
As your questions trail off, Tahlruamy stands again, "Is that all you wish to know, or are there other queries that are troubling your minds? Halabur? Daranad? I may not be able to give concrete wisdom about your coming trials, but I've always found the most trivial piece of information can be valuable at some point." he says, walking over to the lectern, leaving through the pages of the small book that's upon it.

Marlowe
2012-08-02, 04:28 AM
"Begging your pardon sir, I believe Halabur here was curious about something", she looks at the Gnome. "If he doesn't feel like asking, I'll do it for him".

((Yes, she's going to just flat-out ask about the Demonology. Halabur has a very short time window to do it himself.))

Malak'ai
2012-08-02, 04:37 AM
Without looking up from the book he responds, "I have no idea why Master Halabur would feel any question he has is not worth at least asking, but as I said, I will be as candid as I can. Ask what you will."

Marlowe
2012-08-02, 04:43 AM
"Simply that it is rumoured that you possess a text of the binding of Demons. Some concerns were raised on this issue. Me, I just think you're looking for a hot date, but I know nothing."

Bluff:(for the "rumoured" part)[roll0]

Malak'ai
2012-08-02, 05:48 AM
Tahlruamy turns quicker than the blink of an eye, his face back to the blank mask you saw earlier, "Ms. Carmine, if you are trying to insinuate something I, for the best interest of everyone here, would urge you to think very carefully before you continue. Yes, I possess a book regarding the dealing between mortals and the Infernal powers but it is not a text about, as you have put it, binding them.", reaching over he lifts the large tome with a single hand, "This is just one volume of texts on the subject that has been in my family's library since they were written. All that this is, plainly put, is a commentary of the benefits and drawbacks of dealing with the Devil's of the Lower Hell's. My half-brother has asked me, along with a very select few of my most trusted advisers, to attempt to reason out what Altaranis gains from his association with Asmodeus." he says as he puts the book down again, turning back to the lectern, "I will not speak of what assignments, other than trying to run this war, that I have been working on." he finishes.

Marlowe
2012-08-02, 05:58 AM
Sense motive:[roll0]

Verossa smiles with her teeth, but doesn't move."Makes sense. So, no bound and horny outsider action? Pity. Well, if none here have any further questions I believe we'd better see about getting our gear organised. And of course we thank you immensely for your help with equipment, and for getting us out of that sixty-nine with Saltmist"

((If that expression was good enough for Napoleon III, I'm stealing it.))

Wordplay
2012-08-02, 07:58 AM
Raif Clearsight is visibly disgusted by the news about the conscripts; his lip curls, and he grimaces.

'Fight those we wish to save'. Raif Clearsight thinks about Lord Belkinstair for a moment.

'Oh, indeed. In that case, perhaps the conscripts are the first thing we should deal with once we've infiltrated the cult lands. But that's something we can discuss later'.

Fight someone to save them. A dangerous idea. Try something like that, and your motives had better be pure. Even that might not be enough.

'In light of this information, m'Lord, I do have one last request - might you have any books on the orcish and goblinoid peoples that I could borrow? Especially anything on their languages. I'm really sorry to trouble you further after all your help, but it could make a real difference'.

Wordplay
2012-08-02, 08:16 AM
'Come, cease bothering our gracious Lord'.

Daranad bows slightly to Tahlruamy.

'I apologise for my party's questions, and dare I say, impertinence. Thank you for all the efforts that you have made upon our behalf. Rest assured, under my leadership I'll have them whipped into shape in no time'.

'I only pray that after the offensive there are enough of those foul devil worshippers left. We will destroy them once and for all!'

Edit: redid the colours and got rid of the double post. The Bardic roll seems to have disappeared in the process, but I had a Mulligan on that anyway.

Malak'ai
2012-08-02, 09:20 AM
Daranard:
He is the High Kings chief general, and also his bodyguard as well as the highest ranking General of the Coalition forces.(Already revealed due to last Bardic Knowledge Check)

Although officially the High Kings bodyguard, he does not actually perform the duty himself, assigning it to a select few of his elite soldiers.

He is the High Kings older half brother, the son of the old High King, although the identity of his mother is buried in secrecy. He also has a twin brother, rear by elven standards, who disappeared over 100 years ago. No one has had any word of him since. It is unknown why Tahlruamy is not the High King himself.

Arranis Thelmos
2012-08-02, 05:42 PM
"I am sorry for my cowardice, my lord. I should have asked you myself; but I have recently instituted a new goal of not angering any person taller than myself." Halabur says with a forlorn look on his face, but not meaning a word of what he said.

Sense motive (on Tahlruamy's explanation of the book.). [roll0]
Bluff [roll1]

Malak'ai
2012-08-02, 08:47 PM
Halabur:
You get the sense that everything he said is true, but that he is holding something back. What that could be you can only guess.

Though you cannot see his face, you get the feeling that the Elf has found something amusing about you last statement, "If that is your new credo for life my Little Trickster, than I would go find a nice little hamlet somewhere to set up a home, because sometimes it is impossible not to anger people.", he then turns round and see the broad smile upon his face, "believe it or not, some people take acception to things I say and do." he then snorts, trying to hold back his mirth but fails, laughing loudly while walking over and patting Halabur on the shoulder.

Marlowe
2012-08-02, 11:23 PM
"How delightfully disturbing. Well, fellows, are we satisfied and ready to proceed? And sir, my name is Verossa.

"I'm not shamed for what I am, but I'd rather it weren't thrown in my face everytime you address me.

Again, fellows, to arms? Sir Dame, since it seems we have mounts, you should probably inspect them for suitability and dearworthyness relative to the particulars of the party."

(("dearworthyness" is from "The Worm Ouroboros" and I have no idea if it's actually a real word.))

Malak'ai
2012-08-03, 12:04 AM
Tahlruamy turns his head, a confused look coming across his face, "I'm sorry if I have offended you Ms. Verossa. I have had very few dealings with your homeland so if there is a meaning behind your surname I am unfamiliar with, I do appologize."

Moving back to stand beside his stretcher he stands there, putting his arms behind his back, "Yes, you should start getting ready to proceed with the mission. If that is all, you may go."

D_Man_7733
2012-08-03, 01:52 AM
"I agree, we should make sure we are all prepared to go through with this, both physically and mentally before this all begins, we don't want to be caught unprepared."

Machuchang
2012-08-03, 02:44 AM
Eleanora smiled at Verossa's suggestion.

"I would be happy to help in any way I can," She said. "It certainly would not do to have unsuitable mounts. Though I do trust that they will be of a more than sufficient caliber." She quickly added, making sure not to offend the Elven lord.

Once Tahlruamy had finished speaking, Eleanora knelt and bowed her head.

"I have nothing more to ask, milord. Thank you for all of your assistance,"

Malak'ai
2012-08-03, 04:21 AM
"Then go." Tahlruamy says sitting upon the stretcher again, looking over at the little Halfling woman who has been sitting on the stool by the desk, silent since she cast the spell upon the Elven Lord, "You stay... We have to talk about a few," he looks at Drayner, "things."

((This would have been up over an hour ago except I hit submit just after 8pm local time which is when the server backup happens... Really annoys me when that happens :smallfurious:))

Marlowe
2012-08-03, 05:02 AM
Verossa nods acknowledgement at the dismissal, and prepares to follow Eleanora to the horselines, trying not to let her eyes wander.

((What? I can't be disturbing all the time.))

D_Man_7733
2012-08-03, 07:14 AM
Drayner lets a sigh out before standing aside to let the others pass. "Well, I'll see you guys soon... hopefully" He adds jokingly before turning back to Tahlrumy and Nialise, waiting to be addressed.

Malak'ai
2012-08-03, 08:59 AM
As you all start leaving the Elven Lord leans back, almost as if he were about to lay down, "Nialise, what you do in your own time is your own business, but when I give an order for someone to report somewhere I expect them to not to go the scenic route. Understood?" he says, the smile returning to his face and his voice lightening again.
"Understood my Lord." the Halfling replied, her face shining with the same amusement.

After reprimanding Nialise he does lay down fully on the stretcher, "Now, if you and Mr. Drayner would be so kind, I would like to try and trance, at least for a little while before my brother calls for me again. Deep Sashelas and Vandria Gilmadrith know that boy wouldn't know how to put his boots on if it weren't for my directions." he says half heartedly and laughs as he clasps his hands on his chest, closing his eyes.

D_Man_7733
2012-08-03, 04:02 PM
Drayner spaces out for a second and stands there blinking for a moment before regaining his composure. "Okay then, I'll see you guys later" Drayner jogs out of the tent until he catches up with the rest of the group when he slows down to walk with them.

Arranis Thelmos
2012-08-03, 09:30 PM
After they all walk out of the tent, Halabur turns to Drayner and asks, "So what was that about? Why were you late? I thought you were just behind us."

D_Man_7733
2012-08-03, 09:33 PM
Drayner scratches his head briefly before turning to look at Halabur. "I asked Nialise on advice on how to get to Tahlrumy's tent and she wanted a moment with me first."

Machuchang
2012-08-03, 09:37 PM
Eleanora looked at Drayner in surprise.

"A moment with you? Did she have any important information in regards to our mission?" She asked, excited.

D_Man_7733
2012-08-03, 09:43 PM
Drayner bites his lip briefly, hoping to avoid too much conversation on this topic. "She warned about choices that might have to be made, and to be careful because we don't really know all of what they are capable of."

Bluff (if required): [roll0]

Drayner takes a deep breath before continuing hoping to change the subject. "So, are we going to wait around here until the time comes to make the move, or should we get closer to the infiltration point?"

Marlowe
2012-08-03, 09:58 PM
((Oh, and it seems that since ER Eddison's been dead for long enough, and nobody would dare try to make a movie of the thing. The Worm Ouroboros is free to read online))They halted at the head of a flight of steps leading down to the inner ward. The Lady Prezmyra leaned awhile on the black marble balustrade, gazing seaward over the level marshes rough with moonlight. "What care I for Laxus?" she said at last. "What care I for Corinius? A cast of hawks flown by the King against a quarry that in dearworthiness and nobility outshineth an hundred such as they. Nor I will not suffer mine indignation so to wit-wanton with fair justice as persuade me to put the wite on Witchland. It is most true the Prince my brother practised with our enemies the downthrow of our fortunes, breaking open, had he but known it, the gate of destruction for himself and us, that night when our banquet was turned by him to a battle and our winey mirths to bloody rages." She was silent for a time, then said, "Oathbreakers: a most odious name, flat against all humanity.[paragraph continues]

((And note to Eddison; if your villains talk like this, your heroes have some ground to make up))

Malak'ai
2012-08-03, 11:01 PM
As you leave the tent you see four large riding horses and one drab looking grey heavily built pony tied up to a spike. Through the bustle of the camp you also see a groom in the garb of Autumnstar leading a fine looking mount towards the other horses.

Marlowe
2012-08-03, 11:18 PM
Verossa gingerly approaches the largest of the riding horses, walks around it, rubs its forehead and asks; "Do these things have names?"

Arranis Thelmos
2012-08-04, 09:17 AM
Halabur looks over his pony while stroking his chin in thought. After a moment he casts prestidigitation on his pony to create a shining, sparkling aura over his pony. "There." he says in obvious satisfaction. "I'll name this one 'Sparklelord'."

Wordplay
2012-08-04, 09:17 AM
Daranad bows deferentially to the elven Lord and heads out to the horses, over taking the others and moving to the front of the group.

'Come, let us repair to the horses, and begin our glorious quest!'

Daranad moves to the nearest horse.

If only I'd spent some time learning to ride in Willsworrow. I never wanted to at first, then it always seemed like they'd be time later'.

If allowed, Untrained Handle Animal Check [roll0]

Wordplay
2012-08-04, 09:20 AM
Raif Clearsight wanders up to the horses, nonchalantly, but listening closely to Drayner.

'Hmm...so, which of us is walking then?'

Then he turns sharply to look at Drayner:

'A moment? She wanted you for a moment? Is that right?

Sense Motive [roll0]

Marlowe
2012-08-04, 09:23 AM
((Handle Animal can't be done untrained, but is completely unnecessary for Riding))

Verossa gave her choice an appraising look. "Large, blank expression, not much of a talker. Call this one "Fighter". Well, let's see how this goes."

Ride check:[roll0]

"Evidently, this is not as difficult as certain professionals had led me to believe. And Raif, sir. No-one is walking. Sir Dame has her own mount.

Wordplay
2012-08-04, 09:49 AM
The groom stands patiently behind Clearsight, who has completely missed both him and the fifth horse. The horse leans in and nuzzles the back of Clearsight's head gently.

'Aaah, what the - '

Clearsight turns around abruptly.

'Crazy beast tried to kill, me, you all saw it!'

It's safe to say the man isn't comfortable around horses.

Marlowe
2012-08-04, 10:12 AM
"Oh look. Something wants to kill Raif Clearsight. This is new" Verossa hasn't got a lot of patience with him right now. "We still need to decide on your...discipline. Let's open this thing up" pulling the bag from her belt."And we'll see if Pointytemper chose to provide us with something of the exquisitely painful persuasion." SHe smiles cheerfully as she open the bag.

Malak'ai
2012-08-04, 10:39 AM
Verossa:
As you look into the now opened bag you see that it contains a lot more than you would have guess by the weight. Inside are 3 folded piles of canvas, cord and wooden stakes, one silver looking tube, what looks like a thin, foot long cylinder shaped piece of marble with some sort of engraving on it and six small leather pouches with blue ties holding them closed.

Marlowe
2012-08-04, 10:48 AM
"Six pouches, six riders," she murmurs. "Obviously, they're all meant for me. I kid. Looks like we get one each. What looks like a spyglass and some sort of metamagic rod. You, Emergency Food Supply," she smiles at Halabur, "Have a look at this. And this spyglass-looking-thingy. Three tents, so we'll have to sort out who's sleeping together" She tries and fails not to look at Dame Eleanora. "And let's see what's in these pouches."

Machuchang
2012-08-04, 01:30 PM
Sense Motive (vs. Drayner): [roll0]

"That's it? Well, I'm sure she had a perfectly good reason for telling us that." She said.

Her eyes lit up immediately when they came upon the horses. With just the slightest skip in her step, she approached her steed.

"Hey there, Valor!" A huge grin had overtaken her face. "He was not of any trouble, I trust?" She turned to the groom as she rubbed the horse's snout.

A giggle escaped her at Raif's reaction.

"Oh, he likes you!" She cooed, a little surprised at herself. "I think you found your steed, Clearsight!"

Her attention shifted to Verossa when she opened the bag.

"How good of our Lord Tahlruamy to make such contributions to our cause," She said as she craned her neck to examine the contents of the bag.

At that, Eleanora suddenly remembered her own gift from the Elven lord. She quickly dug the parchment out from her pack and unrolled it.

Arranis Thelmos
2012-08-04, 02:21 PM
Halabur spends a moment inspecting the rod, trying to determine it's function.

Knowledge (Arcana): [roll0]

Wordplay
2012-08-04, 04:33 PM
Raif appears a little mollified, and approaches the horse tentatively.

'Umm...hello'.

Raif stretches out a hand and awkwardly pats the creature.

'So we've Valor, and Sparklelord. I think I shall name you after the first thing I ever owned. Come, Filofax'.

D_Man_7733
2012-08-04, 06:22 PM
Drayner smiles briefly at Raif Clearsight, when he refers to "a moment" "and that's one more than you'll ever have" Drayner says teasingly.

Looking over the horses he finds one that he comes to like, "hello there..." Drayner says as he pats it's nozzle and checks it over. "I guess if we are naming them, I'll call mine 'Shadow Stride'" It fit, sort-of, the horse was certainly darker than usual.

When the spyglass is brought out, Drayner brings out his spyglass and compares the two (or attempts to, if someone else has it). "so 1 bag for each of us... " If handed his bag Drayner looks inside.

Pure int check: [roll0]

Malak'ai
2012-08-04, 07:53 PM
Halabur:
As you examine the hollow tube of silvery metal you sense a reasonable amount of transmutation magic has been woven into it. There is only one thing you have heard of that this object might be. A Chime of Opening.

Eleanora:
As you read the parchment you see it is a report from the front which informs of large units of Orcs and Goblinoids advancing, bringing with them the starved, abused men from the captured towns of the area.

Drayner:
You see some flat bread, cheese, dried meat and some sort of grain in the pouch.

Marlowe
2012-08-04, 11:17 PM
((Err, pouches?))

Malak'ai
2012-08-05, 01:10 AM
((Yes, the 6 small leather pouches tied up with blue ties.))

Marlowe
2012-08-05, 01:50 AM
((Sorry, can we be assumed to have opened them? Opening something generally helps when seeing what's in it.))

Malak'ai
2012-08-05, 01:54 AM
((Opening them entirely up to you. Though one of you already has, so I'm sure he'll let you know whats in his at least.))

D_Man_7733
2012-08-05, 01:57 AM
Drayner looks into his bag with a little dissapointment, before looking up to the others and showing them the contents of the bag. "Just some mundane foods to keep us going, well shall we ride out? Or does someone have something more they wish to do here?"

Drayner ties the bag to the horse and pats it lightly while waiting for everyone elses response.

Marlowe
2012-08-05, 05:18 AM
"It hardly matters, the bag's the thing." She stood up in her stirrips and raised her Glaive dramatically, like in all the paintings.

"Well, I feel bloody silly like this, but it's a stylistic step up from walking into the jaws of hell. Or the bleedy gums of Ol' Mossy. Very well, it seems Pointytemper has repaid us for almost destroying the alliance by provided us with efficient logistics. Shall we go shopping? I should not do it myself, else I'd be sure to get a scourge for Raif and a jar of mustard for the Underpants Gnome."

Wordplay
2012-08-05, 06:06 AM
Daranad leaps into the saddle of the horse that he's picked out.

'Shopping? I hardly think we have time to indulge your womanly fancies, M'Lady Verossa, when every second we spend here is one less second fighting that devilish cult!'

Meanwhile Raif looks knowingly at Drayner.

'Well, I'm more or less sworn to celibacy, myself. Evidently you are not'.

Raif Clearsight's nose wrinkles slightly at the mention of a scourge. Then Raif turns to Verossa.

'Hmm? If you want, I wouldn't mind shopping, but I doubt that we'll find much here. Most of the good stuff will have been bought up by the army quartermasters, and we have plenty of food'.

Machuchang
2012-08-05, 03:16 PM
Just despicable. The Covenant will pay. Eleanora grit her teeth as she read the paper, but before she could become too worked up, the party's chatter drew her thoughts away.

"I would not be opposed to the requisition of more items, provided they are necessary. Is there anything more you think we need?" Eleanora asked, posing the question to the group in general.

Arranis Thelmos
2012-08-05, 04:12 PM
In response to Elanora, Halabur says "Oh don't worry my dear, I am satisfied with what he have." as he fiddles with the rod like a child with a new favorite toy.

D_Man_7733
2012-08-05, 06:25 PM
"hmmm, I usually travel lightly myself, but I have always found that rope can be useful in many circumstances, tying down prisoners, climbing, just to name a few." You can tell Drayner is hoping to leave as soon as possible, but is not going to let that leave them unprepared.

Marlowe
2012-08-05, 10:06 PM
Verossa sighs. This is all getting a bit rich. "Womanly fancies? What are you, a bit-part creature from an old stage play lost to thought, respect, and wisdom? I speak of optaining supplies. For long term operations in the rear areas of an enemy devoid alike of mercy and sense. We will be long in the desert sir, and we need to plan. If you don't have the wit to work that, looks like it's up to my womanly fancies."

She turns to Halabur. "And you, are you going to be a soldier and tell us what the bloody thing is or do I have to beat it out of you?"

Arranis Thelmos
2012-08-05, 10:18 PM
Halabur looks surprised at Verossa's hostility and promptly tells her, "This, my dear, is an item called a Chime of Opening. It is an item that is specializes in unlocking items and holding portals. But be warned, it only has ten charges before being rendered useless."

Marlowe
2012-08-05, 10:25 PM
Verossa smiles, and winks at Halabur. "Thank you. For the record, there's no point in playing coy with us. I asked you to take a look at it. I assumed you'd realise that that implies communicating your discoveries. If I had wanted to remain ignorant, I'd have kept the damn thing myself."

"And excuse me, but "M'Lady?". I'm no lady. "My dear?". I'm not your dear. My name is Verossa."

Arranis Thelmos
2012-08-06, 07:27 AM
"Oh yes my d-- er... Verossa." Halabur finishes with a blush.

Machuchang
2012-08-06, 02:38 PM
Eleanora shifted uneasily as Verossa chastised the gnome.

"Rope can likely be obtained in the camp or along our journey," She said, trying to interrupt the confrontation. "If that is all we need, perhaps it would be best if we set off now?"

Wordplay
2012-08-06, 04:07 PM
Daranad's a little taken aback.

'Come, let's stay in good spirits. I apologise if I spoke in haste. We shall be together for some time, and it will be important for you to get used to my leadership and style. At the same time, I realise I should listen a little more carefully to you all. Every second we argue is a victory for the cult'.

Daranad sits atop the horse and is eager to set off.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Meanwhile Raif Clearsight smiles slyly at Drayner.

'Tying people up and among other things? Kinky'.

Then Raif Clearsight coughs.

'Ah, truly a rope's a false little key. It opens spaces and closes off liberty. Well, I packed a number of items, but I appear to have neglected that particular necessity. Might this time be appropriate to take a quick inventory of our resources?'

Marlowe
2012-08-06, 08:53 PM
"They'll be time for haste and hurry, and heart-stopping business later on." smiled Verossa. "For now, we just have to be a little slower than the Dwarves."

Malak'ai
2012-08-07, 06:16 PM
As you're all milling about outside Tahlruamy's tent, examining the mounts and talking about purchasing additional supplies, Nialise makes her way out of the tent, a smile upon her lips as she looks up at Drayner and the rest of you, "Never had much use for horses or the likes myself, but sometimes it's fun to find something to ride. If you're looking to get some more equipment you might want to go find Enderic over with the Dwarves, he generally has a few extra's of anything you might need that he's willing to let go of."

Arranis Thelmos
2012-08-07, 08:40 PM
"What do you say fellows? It might well be worth to visit this man."

Marlowe
2012-08-08, 12:12 PM
Verossa is rather annoyed nobody else has moved yet. I'm only the leader when everyone more competant than I is dead, well. Maybe it's time I assume that."A splendid suggestion Halabur, what say we do that and stop talking about rope. I have some, and manacles too, for business and pleasure. And I'm not even going to bother explaining that" as her smile slips.

"Fighter! Let's move! To Enderic, and we'll see what we can grab! You boys, stay in line!"

Wordplay
2012-08-08, 05:21 PM
'Thank you, m'Lady'. says Raif to Nialise.

Raif slings his pack back on his back, and happily wanders along behind Verossa, gently leading his new friend by its halter.

'Why Verossa, a humble Priest such as myself seeks to advise, support, and provide spiritual counsel. Your soul's welfare and the thousand shocks your mortal frames may suffer are my concern. Leading a military expedition, on the other hand, is not my forte'.

Replies Clearsight.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'If the party is insistent on replenishing our goods, then I see no reason not to avail ourselves of this helper'.

Daranad follows Verossa at the double, trying to draw level with her.

'After all, all planning needs to be discussed by the party as group - under my watchful guidance as we agreed. It's important that all voices are heard'.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Raif Clearsight interjects.

'Incidentally, as I mentioned, now seems like a good time to take the measure of our resources. Here's what I have'.

Raif Clearsight lists his goods, and rummages in his pack.

The idea is that Clearsight's inventory should now be known IC as well as OoC now.

Machuchang
2012-08-09, 08:48 AM
Eleanora cocked her head slightly at Verossa's remark, the implications of the statement completely lost on her. Deciding to let it go, she follows the rest of the party, leading Valor behind her.

Arranis Thelmos
2012-08-09, 12:32 PM
Halabur ponders over the cleric's new found honesty, and decides to share his inventory as well. "It would be a good idea to make aware of our group assets, I suppose." he says as he follows the group on Sparklelord.

Malak'ai
2012-08-09, 07:35 PM
As you travel south through the encircling camps you finally come the Dwarven section. Looking around you see the tents arrayed, much like the Elves, in very orderly rows around six larger tents. Towards the center of the camp bordering the cleared central meeting area where the Councils Pavilion is you see a group of covered wagons and open topped carts. As you approach you see they contain all sorts of things from weapons and armour, food stuffs, tools and substances of different make to clothing. On the outskirts of this impromptu market you come to a large wagon with a canvas awning, it's sides covered in items of all kinds that soldiers or mercenaries might need.
Out the front of the wagon is a short bald man, though taller than the Dwarves surrounding him, putting small vials and flasks out on a trestle table.

Arranis Thelmos
2012-08-09, 07:51 PM
Halabur surveys the scene before him, not knowing where he wants to go first. He mulls over what scant gold he has and asks, "How likely is it that we're going to encounter devils? Could a bottle of silversheen be of any use to us?"

Wordplay
2012-08-09, 08:46 PM
Clearsight looks around at the party.

'If any of you would like some sundry goods, please, let me treat you.'

Clearsight is all business, after waiting his turn, he strides up to the man putting out the vials confidently.

'Excuse me sir, if you have it in stock I would like 6 warm blankets, and 5 good quality lengths of rope, about 50 feet each please.'

Clearsight turns back to the party.

'I seem to have lost my last towel. While I'm replacing it, would anyone else like one?'

Clearsight turns back to the man.

'Incidentally, might you happen to have any books on the orcish and goblinoid races, or perhaps be able to point me in the direction of a scholar who might? Particularly their languages and customs'.

Almost out of the side of his mouth, Raif Clearsight mutters at Halabur.

'Ought to get something for warding off celestial creatures too. They'll be expecting us to prepare for fiends'.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Daranad shows the rest of the party his sundry provisions (except his signet ring)

'This is what I've brought. We seem to have plenty of food, on top of the rations from Lord Talruamy, we've my tent, various wands, bedrolls, sources of light, and ways of making fire'

Arranis Thelmos
2012-08-09, 10:23 PM
"Alas, if only we had such an item." Halabur mutters back to Raif.

Halabur turns back to the man, "Who would I talk to about the purchase of magical items, particularly some silversheen?"

Marlowe
2012-08-10, 05:19 AM
"Here's what I've lumbered myself with" She unpacks her gear, then starts repacking it into the bag of holding (for such she's guessed it is, possibly incorrectly.) "All real gentlemen of ladies of adventure carry rope, oil, and chalk. Silversheen would be a good idea. Smokesticks, alchemists fire, acid, all these things would be nice. But as I said, food. And tools. We're to be running around a forest after all."

Wordplay
2012-08-10, 06:20 AM
'Possessions are fleeting, but chalk I have, and extra food, and alchemists' fire'.

Raif Clearsight turns back to the man.

'I think just the 5 blankets then, since Verossa seems to have her own. I'd like some oil too, if you have it. Shall we say 10 pints?'

Daranad turns to Verossa.

'Oil seems like a good idea, and there's no harm on stocking up on extra food, if we can carry it. I think that's a prudent way of procuring magic items Halabur. What did you have in mind in the way of tools for the forest Verossa?'

Marlowe
2012-08-10, 06:30 AM
"There may, in a forest, be some use for being able to fell a tree, cut wood, even nail it together. There may, when fighting as guerrillas, be some use to be able to dig a hole, or raise a bank of earth.

Wordplay
2012-08-10, 06:52 AM
'Ah yes, well it had occurred to me, so I brought this spade.'

Daranad turns to the man.

'Might it be possible to obtain some carpenters tools and perhaps a woodsman's axe?'

Raif mutters.

'Verossa, Daranad, there may be spies in the camp. Please could you be a little discreet about details of the mission? I put a great deal of effort into our 'fleeing the retribution of an offended noble' cover story'.

Marlowe
2012-08-10, 11:30 AM
"A fine cover for your previous utter and near disasterous failure, for which we are all guilty" She raises her voice, and glaive, "Quickly, my fellows, we must shop quickly if we are not to face the wrath of the one he have offended! Woe is us! A life of miserable banditry is all that remains! We are the lost! We are the hollow! Alas, for Expressionism has nothing on us!"

Bluff:[roll]1d20+7[roll]

"Also, we need to find a pretty dress. Large enough to fit over armour. With ribbons and girlish frills. And a wig. Twin-tailed and blonde. Because I have just worked out the shape your disciplining will take."

Marlowe
2012-08-10, 11:31 AM
Damn. Bluff[roll0]

D_Man_7733
2012-08-11, 07:13 PM
"Exactly we must make haste, should we wish to escape the wrath we should move as quickly as possible. A few towels and blankets in case the weather gets bad, but we must move"

Aid another Bluff (to help verossa out): [roll0]

Drayner cannot help but smirk slightly at the thought of Clearsights "discipline" and barely manages to stifle a laugh.

Machuchang
2012-08-12, 01:31 PM
Eleanora found herself biting her tongue throughout the affair, trying hard to keep her mouth shut.

If we must lie even to our own, what honor could there possibly be in this endeavor? Eleanora shifted uncomfortably. What have I gotten into?

Malak'ai
2012-08-12, 05:01 PM
The bald man looks up as you all approach, his wrinkled face brightening "Well, well. If it isn't the mighty Champions of the Realms themselves! What can Enderic do for you then? Needing some supplies are we?" he says, his voice breaking into a laugh near the end.
He stands there, listening to you all rattle off your queries and orders, nodding and then points to one of the smaller stands next to the wagon, "Well blankets and towels are over there, got heaps to choose from. Wood working tools are up in the wagon, haven't had a chance to unpack them yet, only just got here you see. As for potions and other wizardy type stuff you'll have to talk to Ghanali the Gnome over there," he points to a small, tatty looking tent on the other side of the market, "He's the only one around here that's crazy enough to make those sorts of wares. And as for you, good father, books on evil creatures, those are hard to come by, and I've never heard of any truly good man wishing to learn their vile tongues... But... For the right price I might be able to accommodate you." he finishes, winking and rubbing his fingers in a 'it'll cost you' type manner.

Arranis Thelmos
2012-08-12, 07:47 PM
Well, it appears it's time for a little gnome to gnome chat. Halabur says with a grin and strides over to the tent. He ducks in and looks at the wares for a moment before approaching Ghanali.

Greetings brother. I'm in the market for some arcane items, and I was hoping you could help me out. Probably the most important item on the list is some silversheen, a substance useful against devils. A candle of truth or elixir of truth as well. An eversmoking bottle maybe? I'm also looking for some used rods, staffs, wands, or other wondrous items. And... He brings his voice down to a whisper as a mischievous glint fills his eyes, If you had an Elixir of Love, new of course, that would be desired as well.

Malak'ai
2012-08-12, 08:18 PM
Halabur:

The Gnome in the bright red robe turns, a patchy beard and the remnants of a fringe the only hair on his head, he looks you up and down, then grins, "Oh it's Devil's you'll be facing is it? Well I do happen tae have some Sheen of Silver, though it be difficult to make." He walks round the small counter and pulls out a box, inside it are 4 bottles, each of a different colour, he reaches in and holds up one of grey clay, "This be all I have, and it do not be cheap. As for elixirs of truth or love, I have nae at the moment, but I do have one Truth Candle, though it be packed away somewhere behind ye," he says, pointing to a small pile of boxes on the floor beside the entrance, "And what use are used wands or staves? They be naething but pretty sticks, where as Rods are naething but lumps of metal with squiggly lines on them"
His eyes glint with the same mischievousness, his crooked smile widening.

Arranis Thelmos
2012-08-12, 10:18 PM
Hmph. How much for the candle and silversheen? As for the other rods, wands and staves; I suppose I'd have to buy them new, wouldn't I? Halabur replies with a grin, but obviously a little dulled with disappointment. But as for used wondrous items, surely we've had more than a few fallen adventurers' gear come your way? Maybe a little scuffed from the owner's sad fate, but nonetheless in acceptable condition?

Marlowe
2012-08-13, 02:29 AM
Verossa unseats and turns a smile torwards the gnome "A love potion, A nice thought. If you use it on me, or Ser Dame, I will see you cut to pieces in the afterglow. Anyway, Axes, spades, shovels, adzes, more rope. You have these things, merchant?"

Wordplay
2012-08-13, 10:01 AM
'Never heard of any good man trying to learn their tongue, eh? Well I'm proud that I'm not exactly what you would call a good man then. The orcs and goblins are treated as ignorant savages, yet we expect them to learn our tongues and our ways to converse. Then when there are misunderstandings we blame them. There's an unthinking arrogance there. No wonder they serve the cult. Evil creatures? I wonder. From what I've seen, either all things are evil, or none are'.

Raif Clearsight coughs.

'Indeed, my son, it is regrettable that such things are necessary, but the divine may shape any tool to a Holy purpose, and sometimes we must take foul seeming means to achieve Holy ends. Though we are all fallen to some extent, we may strive for redemption. If you could procure some texts for me you would be doing most Holy work, I would remember you in my prayers, and of course I would be willing to pay you generously.'

Raif strolls over to the blankets and towels and picks up a selection, then he speaks up.

'As for the rest of the supplies, I think that we'll take these 6 towels, 5 winter blankets, those woodworking tools that you mentioned, 10 pints of oil, and 5 lengths of rope, if you would be so kind. I'll cover the cost'.

Daranad whispers to Clearsight 'I'm glad to see that you're finally taking your mission and your ministry with the seriousness it deserves.'

Clearsight mumbles 'Oh, I always treat my ministry with the appropriate degree of seriousness'.

'Well let me help, and I'll see if I can't find those tools'.

Daranad disappears into the wagon and with the shopkeeper's permission, digs out the woodworking tools.

Daranad's Search check [roll0]

Malak'ai
2012-08-13, 09:04 PM
Enderic shrugs and says "Go right a head, but don't mess things up back there. Now, as for the rope, what sort are you after? Normal hempen? Silk? I even have a couple of lengths of Elven weaved if you're feeling fancy."

Daranad:
When you enter the back of the wagon you see stacks of boxes and barrels, piles of canvas and coils of rope.
Everything is stacked quite tidily, as much as it can be in a wagon that has just been moving.
Right at the back (where the wall separating the wagon bed and the drivers seat is) you see a couple of long handles sticking out of a barrel along with a hand saw and bow saw handing on the wall above it.

Marlowe
2012-08-13, 11:34 PM
"Better go for the silk. Buying the Elven seems luxurious and I'm sure that going for hemp will find some way to make itself regretted. Also, silk feels better against skin.

Also, do you stock Woman's clothing and accessories? Our Cleric has certain...hobbies. "

Wordplay
2012-08-14, 06:19 AM
Clearsight responds

'Well, my son, I was going to request the silken, but I'm intrigued. What exactly are the properties of Elven Weaved? And how much more does it cost than silken?

At Verossa's comment, Raif Clearsight chuckles a little bit.

'Now then, no time for your jokes. What must this poor man think?'

Marlowe
2012-08-14, 07:27 AM
"That you're a perverse scamp who requires discipline? And he'd be right"

Arranis Thelmos
2012-08-14, 09:29 AM
Daranad laughs loudly, Now THAT would be a song worth writing about! as he returns with some tools. I can see it now, The Trickster's New Dress, it would weave a new style of humor across the land!

Malak'ai
2012-08-14, 09:50 PM
Looking the greying haired little Cleric up and down, his eye brow raised, Enderic closes his eyes and shakes his head.
"I do not wish to know about your... interests good father, but if it is woman's clothing you are looking for, then you'll find it on the racks over there." he points to the front of the wagon where the yolk and traces have been removed.

Halabur:

The crazed looking Gnome steps out from behind the small counter and starts digging through the boxes by the entrance, "I know it's in here somewhere... AH!" he says as he stands back up, holding a long, slender white candle, "The Truth Candle. Yours for only 2500 gold. And if you are really wishing for used items, I could see what I've picked up in my journeys." finishes with a wink.

Marlowe
2012-08-14, 10:03 PM
Verossa gives Raif an appraising look and wanders over to the indicated racks. "What do you think, Der Dame, Gentleman? Would he best suit sky-blue, or pink? Garter-belt or no garter belt? And heres a wig with odango! It's going to be perfect. No-body looking at him would ever believe he's a competant adventurer. Although they might still guess he has a career in the church." She has the bright, cheery, honest smile of the deadly serious.

Arranis Thelmos
2012-08-15, 07:24 AM
Halabur silently curses to himself, he didn't think that the party had enough gold to cover the costs of the candle. Why yes, I'd love to see what you've found in your travels.

Wordplay
2012-08-15, 10:06 AM
Clearsight stalks over to Verossa.

'So this is womens' clothing? What's the difference?' he has a slightly perturbed expression on his face.

'Never really saw much in the way of clothing, growing up. I must say, it seems strange to have a special kind of clothing to denote gender. Just as it seems strange to denote station, or rank. For example, how there are certain styles and cloths that Dame Elenora could wear, but if you were to try them, my dear, it would be a crime. Sumptuary laws. Same reason I wore nothing but burlap until I was grown'.

Raif Clearsight smiles.

'When I realised that the first time, I burst out laughing. One of the advantages of being a man of the cloth, as it were, that no-one cares too much what you wear'.

Raif picks up a wimple and tries it on.

'Well I suppose it keeps the ears nice and warm. Softer than burlap, anyhow'.

'If you wanted me to buy you something pretty, though, Verossa, you only needed to ask. There's no need to wrap it up in deception'.

Raif turns back to the man, still wearing the wimple.

'Now man, I believe you were about to tell me about Elven weaved rope, and its properties. More importantly, what do you want in exchange for those books that you mentioned?'

Marlowe
2012-08-15, 10:53 AM
Verossa laughs. "I wear what I own, sir, and I own what I wear. And nothing else. But you are avoiding the question, sir. We promised to discipline you, for insulting an--admittedly pompous and ineffectual--lord of the alliance and so slightly increasing our chances, and that of all we hold dear, of getting eaten, raped and killed by demons. And then having worse things happen. And I keep my promises. So you can dress up, so everyone that sees you knows what a liar you are, or--" she draws her backup warhammer. It's a real military hammer rather than a glorified mallet, and rather resembles an icepick more than anything else. "We can conduct a empirical and thorough survey as to how much this hurts when inserted into your various orifices."

Her smile hasn't slipped, but it's looking a little fixed."Your foolishness almost ruined everything. And we are not playing games here. We are fighting for the lives and dignity of anything on this continent. You think I'm joking? I am not. You dress like a woman until you have proved you are not."

Wordplay
2012-08-15, 11:56 AM
Raif Clearsight is still wearing the wimple, and he speaks in a slightly hushed tone to Verossa.

'Everyone already knows what a liar I am. I tell them when I introduce myself. Remember how I introduced myself to you?'

'I don't mind wearing any particular clothes. As I said, it's a novelty to have them. Equally I don't much mind the war hammer either. It's not as though I'm a stranger to pain, nor is it as though it can really do me any long-lasting damage. Though I should point out, it will leave me rather drained of lies for the flesh'.

Clearsight's playing with the ladies clothes, draping them over himself, though it's apparent that he doesn't really know what each thing is. He's wearing hose as a scarf, and is holding a dress back to front.

'But why do you see your own gender as a punishment, m'Lady Carmine? You describe a woman as something less than a man, and regard the wearing of female clothing as a punishment. Why do you hate women so? Or is the answer the honest lie you told when introducing yourself? Names are curious truths, are they not? Mine, like yours, is something of a description'.

Clearsight turns back to the merchant.

'We'll also take six fine dresses, if you please. I've no taste when it comes to such things, so M'Lady Carmine will have to pick them out. Oh, and I'll take this wimple to go. How much does the bill come to so far? That's for 5 lengths of 50ft silk rope, 10 pints of oil, 6 towels, 5 winter blankets, the clothing (6 sets), the woodworking tools, 1 50ft length of elven rope, and the books I required'.

Raif looks about I don't think I forgot anything, did I? Oh and do you happen to have somewhere m'Lady Carmine and I can go privately? I think she wants to discipline me, and I'll need her help changing'.

Malak'ai
2012-08-15, 08:13 PM
"Well, as to how you and your companion wish to treat each other, that is up to you. But you can use the wagon if you wish a changing room. Elven rope is finer and stronger than silken and people who've used it tell me that it almost ties itself! Unfortunately, it only comes in short coils. I have four lengths of it which you could splice together though.
The books," he leans over and whispers, "And you didn't get them from me mind you," he goes back to his normal tone, "Will be 10 gold each. In total it'll be 97 gold, 2 silver. Add another 200 gold if you do want the Elven rope." Enderic tells you.

Marlowe
2012-08-15, 09:19 PM
Verossa snorts. "I do not see my gender as a punishment, but since everyone present seems to see it as a weakness--well, I'm an obliging person. And I wanted to see if you were a spring." she returns the hammer to her belt.

"Once we have what's required, we're out of here in ten minutes, before this Saltist farrago causes more more idiotic delays. We can afford to take our time getting to the insertion point, since our timetable is based on the speed of Dwarves, but once through the Convenanter lines, we move like greased snakes. Can I get a "Sounds good"?"

"Also, I've worn mail since I was twelve, but I'm pretty sure that doesn't go there."