PDA

View Full Version : [PF] The Gi-shlinger

Andvare
2012-07-14, 06:48 AM
I've been toying with a ranged gish build idea, because it might combined a couple of things I like, but also because being a Gunslinger is so friggin' expensive!

The core concept is a mixture of Musket Master and Spellslinger, topped with some Eldritch Knight for some BAB flavour.

As a part wizard, you really don't want to get too close to the enemy, so Musket Master is a given. I'd say 5 levels of Musket Master, to get the added Dex bonus to damage, 3 levels is absolute minimum, as that is the breaking point for free action reload (and never, ever leave home without at least one grit). Any less than that, and you should go straight Spellslinger.
Spellslinger, 5 levels is needed for level 3 arcane spells for the Eldritch Knight. Gunslingers get full martial weapons proficiency, so that is covered.
You'll end up losing 3 BAB and 6 caster levels, 3 BAB is the same that a Magus is behind at level 9, and the Gi-shlinger also has a spell progression similar to the Magus, though it ends with better BAB and better spell list.

Attributes. Dex is king, but int is needed as well. 16 at least, for going all the way, and con is always nice. The Gi-shlinger is a bit more mad than a straight wizard, but it is still only two needed stats. So it is not a SAD panda, but more depressed than most combat types.

Spells.
I'd wish projectile weapons weren't nerfed (needlessly IMHO) in PF's version of Enlarge Person, this would fit very well into this build, but as it stands, the only "must-have" spell is Abundant Ammunition, a 1st level spell, and with a 1min/lvl, you can often trigger this before combat, though it is a good spell for quickening, and with a trait, it is "only" a level 4 spell quickened. This can be used with a scattergun firing Dragon's Breath ammo.
One type of shenanigan you can do with Enlarge Person, is to get a Double Hackbut, enlarge yourself but not the gun, and then you can use it without the mount and without being knocked prone, at a -2 to hit. Upping the damage from 1d12 to 2d12 for a -2 to hit, when you are probably usually shooting at touch AC is quite the bargain, of course, being enlarged cost some damage and to hit itself, so it might not be worth it.
Of course, there is all the buff spells, like Cat's Grace for +2 on AC, damage and to hit.
And plenty of abuse using Mage Bullets.
BTW, what really pisses me off with Enlarge Person, is that when you enlarge someone, the damage follows the projectile, but when you reduce someone, the damage follows the weapon...

Feats, well, the usual Gunslinger feats apply here, with Extent Spell and Quicken Spell thrown in for more buffing fun. BTW, you can use all types of firearms, as you gain the Exotic Weapon (Firearms) from the Spelslinger, and all of a Musket Master's deeds apply to all two-handed weapons, not just muskets.
Most metamagic feats doesn't translate too well with attacks via a weapon, unfortunately, so I'd in general avoid those (even though I really love Rime Spell, it is best used for AOE spells, though depending on how your DM rule that a Cone O Cold works via a gun, Rime Spell might work quite well there).

Am I missing anything? Except that this has probably been done before, that is?