PDA

View Full Version : PF-Advanced Race Guide

Novawurmson
2012-07-14, 07:20 AM
Check out page 94: Feat that lets Catfolk get a full attack on a charge at BAB of 10. Has a few prereqs. Only for their claws (which have an equipment item that lets them be enchanted as normal weapons, but great for a Rogue or Ninja.

eggs
2012-07-14, 01:03 PM
Hm. The "Claws only" part is limiting. Are there any ways to get extra claws that wouldn't have already had pounce?

Eldonauran
2012-07-14, 01:22 PM
Magic of the Incarnum options:

Two level dip into Totemist and Bind 'Girallon Arms' to your totem chakra. That will net you an additional 2 claw attacks.

Take the feat: Cobalt Charge and invest essentia into it to get bonus damage on a charge.

Shape: Dread Carapace to get a +1 damage bonus (and a -1 attack bonus) for claw attacks (ie, cheap power attack for natural weapons). Bigger effects with more essentia.

As a 5th level totemist (or a 6th level character taking open least chakra: feet and access to Urskan Greaves), if you bind Urskan Greaves to your feet, you get +1d4 damage (per essentia invested) on melee attacks at end of a charge. I recommend using this instead of Cobalt Charge, if you've the magic item slot and feats to spare.

Ravenica
2012-07-14, 01:36 PM
Hm. The "Claws only" part is limiting. Are there any ways to get extra claws that wouldn't have already had pounce?
would extra claw attacks from a synthesist meld count? heh

CTrees
2012-07-14, 01:44 PM
would extra claw attacks from a synthesist meld count? heh

The limiting text is, "with your claws." Depends if a fused eidolon's claws count as "yours." Though, the pounce evolution is simply better if you have the right form, so...

Eldonauran
2012-07-14, 01:58 PM
How to get Pounce in two easy steps, without the Lion Totem Barbarian dip?

Need to be able to shape Sphinx Claws. (Shape soulmeld feat or Totemist levels)

Open Least Chakra: Hands

These two combined (and bound to hands) = Pounce for any and all natural attacks (no manufactured weapons, sorry).

eggs
2012-07-14, 02:37 PM
Pounce is a little trickier in PF, which is why this might be interesting.

But all I'm seeing with this are synthesist (which already had pounce), Beast Totem Barbarians (which would rely on a weird implementation for extra claws, and which already had pounce), Mutagen-focused Alchemist (which would rely on a weird implementation for extra claws).

The one place where I could imagine this being useful is with certain Polymorph spells. Pounce would make a Girallon form pretty nice for damage output, for instance. But even there, I'm not seeing a notable power change.

StreamOfTheSky
2012-07-15, 10:50 AM
Ways to get pounce in PF:

1. Be a level 1 eidolon or Synthesist Summoner w/ quadruped form.

2. Be a level 6 Druid, via Wildshape.

3. Be any caster than can cast Beast Shape II, usually around level 7.

4. Be a level 10 Barbarian w/ Greater Beast Totem (3 rage powers required)

5. Be a level 10 Beastmorph Alchemist (who can also get SA via Vivvisectionist).

6. If mounted, the mounted skirmisher feat is similar to pounce, in that your mount can move up to its base speed and you can full attack. Feat requires BAB +14, Ranger (mounted combat style) 10, or Sohei Monk 1 (yes, you read that right).

So, two things to take away from this:

1. Wow, PF sure loves casters!

2. That catfolk feat is terribad.

Novawurmson
2012-07-17, 09:23 AM
But...the Catfolk claws mean you can get a full attack with an (albeit specific) manufactured weapon on a charge. This isn't amazing if you're a class that wants a big ugly stick (i.e. Fighter), but for classes that thrive off precision damage and multiple attacks, it's great. Not many other ways for a Rogue/Ninja to move and full attack.

There are other ways to move+full attack in PF, such as the Dimensional Dervish (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/dimensional-dervish) chain. For Big Ugly Stick builds, the Vital Strike chain is a decent substitute, but it's pitiful for a Rogue build, which this feat is a significant improvement for.

QuidEst
2012-07-17, 09:48 AM
But...the Catfolk claws mean you can get a full attack with an (albeit specific) manufactured weapon on a charge. This isn't amazing if you're a class that wants a big ugly stick (i.e. Fighter), but for classes that thrive off precision damage and multiple attacks, it's great. Not many other ways for a Rogue/Ninja to move and full attack.

There are other ways to move+full attack in PF, such as the Dimensional Dervish (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/dimensional-dervish) chain. For Big Ugly Stick builds, the Vital Strike chain is a decent substitute, but it's pitiful for a Rogue build, which this feat is a significant improvement for.

Catfolk also get a 10-foot bonus to speed when charging. So it comes in pretty late, but if you're playing a Catfolk Rogue with Nimble Striker anyhow, it's a nice option. Unfortunately, getting the claws does require giving up +2 to Stealth and Perception (well, and Survival).

Novawurmson
2012-07-17, 10:37 AM
You can pick up claws through the Catfolk Exemplar feat.

Now add the Vicious Claws Rogue Talent, which increases sneak attack die from d6 to d8 when using your racial claws.

Duke of URL
2012-07-17, 12:20 PM
Wow, PF sure loves casters!

Not surprised, considering that this is the system that nerfed Power Attack while simultaneously granting a bunch of extra class features to Wizards without taking anything else away.

Drelua
2012-07-17, 01:18 PM
You can pick up claws through the Catfolk Exemplar feat.

Now add the Vicious Claws Rogue Talent, which increases sneak attack die from d6 to d8 when using your racial claws.

Don't forget to take the Scout Archetype. Uncanny Dodge is nice, but in this case at least, automatic sneak attack on a charge is nicer. Now the only thing missing is a way to charge the same guy again if he somehow survives, possibly with some swift action movement.

I've actually been planning to make exactly this character in my free time over the last couple days.

CTrees
2012-07-17, 02:11 PM
Now the only thing missing is a way to charge the same guy again if he somehow survives, possibly with some swift action movement.

Well, at eighth level the scout archetype only needs 10ft of movement, not charging, to trigger SA. Spring attack is a special action now, so you can't charge as part of it AND it's not an attack action, which blocks both Scout's Charge and Skirmisher. Greater Overrun doesn't technically help, as the proned targets are provoking AoOs, not being attacked (and certainly not full attacked) as part of the charge/overrun, so again neither Scout ability triggers...

Hrm. I'm... coming up blank with a way to do this in PF.

eggs
2012-07-17, 02:15 PM
Teleportation wizard makes it easy, but falls back into the "Does it better with preexisting features" zone.

CTrees
2012-07-17, 02:28 PM
Hrm, yes, 4+ levels of Teleportation school Wizard would do it. Just have to be aware of the "after using this spell, you can't take any other actions until your next turn" clause shift pulls in from Dimension Door.

Drelua
2012-07-17, 03:08 PM
I've got an idea; instead of moving yourself, find a way to make the enemy do the movement for you. Bull rush won't work since you have to move with them if you push them 10 feet, but what about making them frightened? The only problem is I'm stuck between Rake and Thug archetypes. Thug lets you frighten people if you beat the intimidate DC by 15, Rake let's you get your modifier high enough to do that by giving up some Sneak Attack damage. Is there any way to use intimidate to make someone Frightened other than Thug? If not, we'll just have to do some major skill boosting.