PDA

View Full Version : [pf] Can I lift a PC?

Arkwright
2012-07-14, 10:11 AM
G'day, fellows-

I'm currently in a PBP campaign and I have come across a rather unique situation.

We are in a 20ft-tall room, and the enemy is stuck to the roof. I am enlarged, so I can reach him, but he's just turned out to be immune to electricity so I can't hurt him (don't ask).

Would it be a good idea for me to lift one of my party members above my head so s/he can attack the enemy? I have the strength to do it; my question is whether this would force the 'grappled' condition on my friend, hindering her/him greatly, or whether it would just increase her/his height so they can hit the enemy.

The Redwolf
2012-07-14, 10:34 AM
That would probably depend on your DM. It makes sense to me if you can just grab them by the feet and support them you're not grappling them, they won't be able to walk around on top of your hands but they should be well enough supported. I would allow it personally, but you probably need to just ask your DM.

jaybird
2012-07-14, 10:56 AM
I'd rule it a Str check for you to be treated as a mount and a Balance check each turn for your friend to stay on. If he fails he's staggered, if he fails badly enough he falls on top of you.

Rejakor
2012-07-14, 11:04 AM
Sounds to me like he'd be balancing, and suffer the normal penalties for doing so, but not have any trouble standing there otherwise.

You're really not that different from a rickety pile of boxes or something, after all.

Arkwright
2012-07-14, 11:11 AM
I'd rule it a Str check for you to be treated as a mount and a Balance check each turn for your friend to stay on. If he fails he's staggered, if he fails badly enough he falls on top of you.

Interesting idea.... what would be the DC for these checks? Keeping in mind this is Pathfinder ruleset

The Redwolf
2012-07-14, 11:32 AM
Sounds to me like he'd be balancing, and suffer the normal penalties for doing so, but not have any trouble standing there otherwise.

You're really not that different from a rickety pile of boxes or something, after all.

I would disagree with that, if the person holding them up is strong enough they could support them very steadily, I think it would only require a balance check if the strength check each turn to hold them steady wasn't quite high enough. That's how I would do it at least, because if you can hold them steady enough then it's like they're standing on a solid surface, they just can't move their feet.

Jack Zander
2012-07-14, 06:14 PM
This sounds like something you should ask a cheerleader. Anyone here friends with a cheerleader? Oh... right....

SowZ
2012-07-14, 07:04 PM
This sounds like something you should ask a cheerleader. Anyone here friends with a cheerleader? Oh... right....

My younger sister is one, (so, yeah, doesn't defeat your point, hehe.) Luckily I am at my parents right now so I just asked her and she says if you are being held well you can do acrobatic things easily and it doesn't take real balance. Just a firm grip for the supporter.

Apparently it only takes balance if only one of your legs is being held because you are doing a high kick, or something. But it would be easy to, say, swing a baseball bat if both legs were held. She was pretty confident that just standing up there on the top of the pyramid is easy.

Crasical
2012-07-15, 06:12 AM

I love how this sounds out of context. I want to hear it as disparaging commentary for a useless party member.

Keneth
2012-07-15, 08:45 AM
Just put him on your shoulders and have him roll a Ride check every turn. He takes a -5 penalty for riding without a saddle, and as long as you're holding him (i.e. not doing your own stuff), the check would be about DC 5. Not completely RAW, but should work for general purposes.

SowZ
2012-07-15, 09:26 AM
Just put him on your shoulders and have him roll a Ride check every turn. He takes a -5 penalty for riding without a saddle, and as long as you're holding him (i.e. not doing your own stuff), the check would be about DC 5. Not completely RAW, but should work for general purposes.

Why not wear a saddle?

awa
2012-07-15, 09:31 AM
i think you would still be flat footed as per normal balance rules becuase you don't have room to move around unless your also hooping around on his shoulders which would require balance checks.

edit you also forgot the -5 penalty for an unsuitable mount for a total of -10

Grail
2012-07-15, 09:38 AM
If you're enlarged, your weight is multipled by 8, this includes the weight of all your equipment. Why don't you see just how well he is "stuck" to the ceiling. Grab hold of him and then lift your legs off the ground.

Arkwright
2012-07-15, 10:11 AM
Sadly I have a very crappy CMB.

jaybird
2012-07-15, 11:17 AM
Interesting idea.... what would be the DC for these checks? Keeping in mind this is Pathfinder ruleset

Uhh...10? Worsening as the "mount" fails the Str check more. It shouldn't be THAT difficult, as others have said already.

Keneth
2012-07-15, 12:11 PM
i think you would still be flat footed
Why would you be flat-footed when riding? If anything the person holding you would be flat-footed.

edit you also forgot the -5 penalty for an unsuitable mount for a total of -10
I didn't forget it, I simply ignored it, a -5 penalty should be enough since the mount is intelligent (presumably) and actively trying to hold the rider as steady as possible. I figured that should cancel out the penalty.

Ravenica
2012-07-15, 12:34 PM
I'd just crib the rules from levitate and make it a strength check every round to hold him up there

Jack Zander
2012-07-15, 01:21 PM
I don't get why people are using ride checks here. Standing on someone's hands isn't at all like riding a horse.

Slipperychicken
2012-07-16, 12:28 AM
I don't get why people are using ride checks here. Standing on someone's hands isn't at all like riding a horse.

Hence the minuses for "unsuitable as a mount". Even if you ride a person, you're treated as occupying the mount's space anyway, so you're literally back at square 1.

Why can't you just plink him to death with your Crossbow? I really hope you brought a ranged weapon. If you have no ranged weapons, just throw random stuff at him, like rocks, shoes, sticks, or rations. Sounds like he's pretty helpless up there, so you don't have to worry about retaliation.

This is one of the times a Harpoon (A&EG) would be useful. Throw it into him and climb up.

Keneth
2012-07-16, 12:49 AM
I wasn't proposing standing on his hands, why would you even want to do that? Just sit on the guy's shoulders like he's a proper mount.

Even if you ride a person, you're treated as occupying the mount's space anyway, so you're literally back at square 1.
I just figured someone's gotta have a spare reach weapon. I always have one, don't you? There's nothing more embarrassing than finding yourself unable to to win in a fight because you don't have a reach and/or ranged weapon.

Slipperychicken
2012-07-16, 10:15 AM
I just figured someone's gotta have a spare reach weapon. I always have one, don't you? There's nothing more embarrassing than finding yourself unable to to win in a fight because you don't have a reach and/or ranged weapon.

Which weapon has 20ft reach again? I know some have 15ft reach (probably some Dragon article), and I guess you could high-jump charge while wielding one of those.

You're Enlarged, right? Just grab a spear and you have 20ft reach (weapons are enlarged similarly, but ask your DM about it) to poke the guy till he dies.

Keneth
2012-07-16, 11:07 AM
Which weapon has 20ft reach again?
What are you talking about? :smallconfused: The room is 20 feet high. A large (tall) character can hit anything on the ceiling with a normal weapon. If you're riding a large creature, you need a normal reach weapon to hit something on the ceiling.

ThiagoMartell
2012-07-16, 01:31 PM
There is a situation like that in the example play in the DMG. It's a Str check.