PDA

View Full Version : Random Plot Hook Generator

Lord Tyger
2012-07-14, 03:10 PM
Roll 1d4. Reroll fours and add one to the next roll, cumulatively. IE rolling 4, 4, 2, would give a total of four.

Roll 1d20 an appropriate number of times

1. The Witchmoot (reroll to confirm, take second result)
2-4. Rampaging Wildlife
5-9: Bandits
10-11: Inquisitor coming to town.
12-13: Grave robberies
14-16: Cult activity.
17-18: Eerie lights in the forest
19: Eerie lights in the ruins.
20: Eerie lights moving through the village at night

The idea here is to create something that lets me easily but randomly decide on plot hooks, while at the same time creating flexibility- what the eerie lights are, why the Inquisitor's coming to town, etc. The only one that's really set is the Witchmoot, which is a setting specific event and may happen eventually regardless of rolls in response to party activities (as may some of the rest of these). There should also be some fun possibilities for synergy- IE, if a roll produces Inquisitors arriving, cult activity, and eerie lights in the forest, then it may be a case of the Church cracking down on fey worshipping cults in the forest.

Cealocanth
2012-07-14, 06:55 PM
For a d20's worth of options, this list is awfully limiting. What about "called into council by the baron/king/other ruling body", "begged on hands and knees by a dirt farmer", or possibly "found a recruiting flyer, and asked to meet in a tavern."

I'm not sure if the list you've given is based specifically on your campaign's theme or what these plot hooks may be for, but as a suggestion, consider giving the other 11 options some thought.

Cespenar
2012-07-16, 12:16 AM
There was a d100 variation of this idea in some 3.5 book, IIRC.

newBlazingAngel
2012-07-16, 12:37 AM
A d100 variant would be pretty amazing, but I imagine stretched pretty thin. You can only have so many vague plot hooks.

Ravens_cry
2012-07-16, 12:38 AM
A d100 variant would be pretty amazing, but I imagine stretched pretty thin. You can only have so many vague plot hooks.
It's actually got quite a variety.
Check it out if you get a chance.

Sir_Gabes
2012-07-18, 05:34 AM
Lol.

Players: Stop it with the bandits!

Me: blame the d20 all I get is 5-9.