PDA

View Full Version : Should I Get BioShock 2?

Chainsaw Hobbit
2012-07-14, 03:25 PM
BioShock is an amazing game. I really enjoyed it. I also see that its sequel is currently on sale on Steam.

Is the second game worth it, or does it ruin the first instalment like so many sequels do?

Cespenar
2012-07-14, 04:03 PM
BioShock is an amazing game. I really enjoyed it. I also see that its sequel is currently on sale on Steam.

Is the second game worth it, or does it ruin the first instalment like so many sequels do?

You'll find conflicting remarks about this on the internet. I, personally, enjoyed it. Worse than the original, but quite playable nevertheless.

It's mostly about expectations.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2012-07-14, 04:52 PM
You'll find conflicting remarks about this on the internet. I, personally, enjoyed it. Worse than the sequel, but quite playable nevertheless.

What? I didn't understand that at all.

Dublock
2012-07-14, 04:59 PM
You'll find conflicting remarks about this on the internet. I, personally, enjoyed it. Worse than the original, but quite playable nevertheless.

I fixed his remark.

I found it to be good but not as good as the first one as well. Since its on sale, I think its a good buy just don't except it to be as good :p

Cespenar
2012-07-14, 05:03 PM
What? I didn't understand that at all.

Sorry, I said "sequel" when I thought "prequel". Fixed that now.

GolemsVoice
2012-07-14, 05:12 PM
I found it to be quite enjoyable and would definitely recommend it. Maybe it is not quite as good as the first, but it's certainly not the terrible piece of software some make it out to be.

Domochevsky
2012-07-14, 07:27 PM
Hm, it's mostly been a ok game, if unnecessary. (There was no reason for it to exist beyond sequelitis. >_> ) Storywise it is a lot weaker and gameplay-wise somewhat unsatisfying. You are not a Big Daddy in any shape or form, beyond the helmet and name, really. Even your drill is weaksauce. :smallfrown:

That being said, i've been told that the multiplayer is quite fun, as you play the inhabitants of Rapture there.

Starbuck_II
2012-07-14, 10:53 PM
Hm, it's mostly been a ok game, if unnecessary. (There was no reason for it to exist beyond sequelitis. >_> ) Storywise it is a lot weaker and gameplay-wise somewhat unsatisfying. You are not a Big Daddy in any shape or form, beyond the helmet and name, really. Even your drill is weaksauce. :smallfrown:

That being said, i've been told that the multiplayer is quite fun, as you play the inhabitants of Rapture there.

Get enough tonics and the drill rocks.

Vitruviansquid
2012-07-14, 11:42 PM
It seemed really to be more of the same. If you wish Bioshock 1 was twice as long, Bioshock 2 would be a great buy.

Tengu_temp
2012-07-15, 02:32 PM
Sorry, I said "sequel" when I thought "prequel". Fixed that now.

Nitpick, but that's not what a prequel means. There is no one-word term for a previous installment in the franchise as far as I know.

Calemyr
2012-07-16, 08:47 AM

BioShock 2 is, on its own, a very good game. It steps up the game on several fronts, with more plasmids and weapons, but the aspect you're probably expecting most from, the story, is pretty straight forward. No M. Night Shamalan "What-a-tweest-itis" here, it avoids the jaw dropping gamechanger that is the golf game of BioShock. The game is pretty much just as straight forward as it looks, the villain really does just have her head so far up her rectum she can see her tonsils.

That isn't to say it isn't a good game. Delta, the Big Daddy you play, is a prototype with power to spare, but the downside that he's really only keyed to one little sister, which, combined with the expenses involved, made him unfeasible for mass production. As Delta, you have far more mobility and versatility than other models, including the ability to use plasmids and weapons at the same time. The drill is pretty average at first, but with proper research and plasmids, can become game-breakingly powerful.

The little sisters minigame is very different now, in a sense. It's a pretty much exactly like the last push in BioShock, where the little sisters harvest corpses and it's your job to keep the hordes at bay while they do so. It's a lot more resource intensive and frustrating, but it's also an interesting opportunity to see how many cleverly constructed traps you can arrange. There's also a brief scene where you get to see the Rapture through the eyes of a little sister, which interesting - and disturbing - to say the least. And speaking of perspective, there's nothing quite like walking through a family fun park dedicated to Andrew Ryan's propaganda.

In short (too late), it's an enjoyable game in its own right, but if you're expecting the same brilliantly crafted twists, you'll be disappointed. You're not Jack, you're Delta, and while you may have drawn the short end of the stick when it comes to arch villains, there's still an awful lot of cool stuff to be found.

Cespenar
2012-07-16, 10:49 AM
Nitpick, but that's not what a prequel means. There is no one-word term for a previous installment in the franchise as far as I know.

Hmm. A good nitpick, yes. Apparently I brain-farted twice in a row in the same thread.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2012-07-16, 11:11 AM
I purchased the game last night, but couldn't play because Windows Live wouldn't let me. It kept telling me to create an account, so I did, and then it told me that my account didn't exist when I tried to log in. I picked at it for a while, but it didn't help.

I REALLY hate Microsoft.

Domochevsky
2012-07-16, 11:47 AM
I purchased the game last night, but couldn't play because Windows Live wouldn't let me. It kept telling me to create an account, so I did, and then it told me that my account didn't exist when I tried to log in. I picked at it for a while, but it didn't help.

I REALLY hate Microsoft.

Oh yeah, i remember that bit. Check the small print when it tells you to create an account. Somewhere in there should be a link to creating a Local Account, which has no internet requirement or anything attached to it.

(Man, so much about this game just straight up fell out the back of my head the second i was done with it... :smallsigh: )

Chainsaw Hobbit
2012-07-16, 12:39 PM
Oh yeah, i remember that bit. Check the small print when it tells you to create an account. Somewhere in there should be a link to creating a Local Account, which has no internet requirement or anything attached to it.

(Man, so much about this game just straight up fell out the back of my head the second i was done with it... :smallsigh: )

If I create a local account, am I still able to do multiplayer?

Domochevsky
2012-07-16, 01:45 PM
If I create a local account, am I still able to do multiplayer?

Iunno. Kinda doubt it.

VanBuren
2012-07-16, 04:23 PM

Taken as a stand-alone game, BioShock 2 is a wonderful experience and one hell of a ride. As a sequel, though, it hews a bit too close to the source material - almost as if the developers were afraid to branch out and try something new. That doesn't mean it's any less fun; just don't expect an evolution in gameplay. It's more like a minor update to an incredibly successful formula.

Lord Loss
2012-07-16, 05:50 PM
Bioshock is perhaps my favorite videogame ever. I've played it a few times, love the world, the atmosphere, everything. Bioshock two felt like a kid that found it's dad's clothes and was running around wearing them. It looked like Bioshock from afar, and sort of acted like it at times, but as soon as you got close to it you could tell it wasn't at all like the original.

Never finished the single player, although I might go back and finish it now that you've brought it up, but I really liked the multiplayer. Overall a disappointment.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2012-07-16, 09:47 PM
Still having problems with Windows Live. It will let me play the singleplayer, but not save my progress or do multiplayer. Does anyone have any idea what do do?

UPDATE: Actually, I think I have it working. I needed to get a HotMail account and use that, even though it told me I could use my Gmail account. Someone at Microsoft is going to be haunted after I die.

Lord Loss
2012-07-16, 09:51 PM
Do you have sufficient memory and a proper internet connection? Those are the problems I can think of off the top of my head, although there are about a zillion possibilities.

Does google come up with anything?

Chainsaw Hobbit
2012-07-16, 09:54 PM
Do you have sufficient memory and a proper internet connection? Those are the problems I can think of off the top of my head, although there are about a zillion possibilities.

Does google come up with anything?

Actually, Google did help. See above. Thank you for the suggestions and stuff.