PDA

View Full Version : [PFRPG] Pimp My Pixie (Ghost)

kaleotter
2012-07-14, 10:23 PM
So, I was talking with a friend who plays pathfinder and has a DM who is very much a textbook bad DM. I've heard reports of one character death every session, and this friend has been trying to work on something a bit more broken to counteract this, and we got to talking. I booted up herolab and started working on a couple of things. This is one of the results: Everyone, Meet Pippin. Pippin is a pixie who was killed after but a short existence. Still practically a child, and full of vengeful feelings towards the evil biengs that ended his life so early, Young Pippin rose the following week as a ghost. Over the following sixty years, Pippin built an unlife for himself training as a rogue.

I think I have most of the build down. It needs to be "appropriate" for a party of 8th level adventurers. I don't want to run this build, or even let it see the light of day unless everyone was doing the same kind of stuff, but I would like to know how I can improve it.

PIPPIN MERRYWEATHER CR 9
Male Pixie Rogue (Sniper) 5
CN Tiny Undead (Augmented Fey, Incorporeal)
Init +13; Senses Darkvision, Low-Light Vision; Perception +21
--------------------
DEFENSE
--------------------
AC 24, touch 24, flat-footed 22. . (+1 Dex, +2 size, +5 deflection, +1 dodge)
hp 80 (5d8+4d6+45)
Fort +7, Ref +17, Will +7
Defensive Abilities Channel Resistance +4, Evasion, Incorporeal, Invisibility, Rejuvenation, Uncanny Dodge; DR 10/cold iron; Immune critical hits, precision damage, Undead Traits; SR 15
--------------------
OFFENSE
--------------------
Spd 0 ft., Flight (60 feet, Perfect)
Melee Unarmed Strike +16 (1+9/20/x2)
Ranged +2 Longbow +18 (1d4+2/20/x3)
Space 2.5 ft.; Reach 0 ft.
Special Attacks Accuracy, Bleeding Attack +3, Corrupting Touch 9d6 (DC 19), Deadly Range (40'), Malevolence (DC 19), Sneak Attack +3d6, Special Arrows (21/day) (DC 19), Telekinesis
Spell-Like Abilities Confusion, Lesser (1/day), Dancing Lights (1/day), Detect Chaos (Constant), Detect Evil (Constant), Detect Good (Constant), Detect Law (Constant), Detect Thoughts (1/day), Dispel Magic (1/day), Entangle (1/day), Permanent Image (visual and auditory elements only, Shield (1/day)
--------------------
STATISTICS
--------------------
Str -, Dex 27/29, Con -, Int 16, Wis 15, Cha 21
Base Atk +5; CMB +12; CMD 34
Feats Dodge, Improved Initiative, Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot, Rogue Weapon Proficiencies, Weapon Finesse
Skills Acrobatics +13, Appraise +8, Bluff +12, Climb +3, Craft (Alchemy) +10, Diplomacy +11, Escape Artist +14, Fly +34, Knowledge (Nature) +10, Linguistics +14, Perception +21, Perform (Dance) +13, Ride +3, Sense Motive +13, Sleight of Hand +11, Stealth +31, Swim +3, Use Magic Device +16
Languages Abyssal, Aquan, Auran, Celestial, Common, Draconic, Giant, Gnome, Orc, Sylvan, Terran, Thassilonian
SQ Fast Getaway (Ex)
Combat Gear +2 Longbow; Other Gear Belt of Incredible Dexterity, +2, Wand of Scorching Ray (CL 7)
--------------------
SPECIAL ABILITIES
--------------------
Accuracy (Ex) Halve all range increment penalties with a bow or crossbow.
Bleeding Attack +3 (Ex) Sneak attacks also deal 3 bleed damage per round.
Channel Resistance +4 +4 bonus to save vs. Channel Energy.
Corrupting Touch 9d6 (DC 19) (Su) 9d6 damage from Touch attack.
Damage Reduction (10/cold iron) You have Damage Reduction against all except Cold Iron attacks.
Darkvision (60 feet) You can see in the dark (black and white vision only).
Deadly Range (40') (Ex) Ranged sneak attacks may be made within 40'
Evasion (Ex) If you succeed at a Reflex save for half damage, you take none instead.
Fast Getaway (Ex) After successfully making a sneak attack or Sleight of Hand check, a rogue with this talent can spend a move action to take the withdraw action. She can move no more than her speed during this movement.
Flight (60 feet, Perfect) You can fly!
Immunity to Critical Hits You are immune to Critical Hits
Immunity to Precision Damage You are immune to Precision Damage
Incorporeal (Ex) You aren't quite here.
Invisibility (Su) A pixie remains invisible even when it attacks.

This ability is constant, but the pixie can suppress or resume it as a free action.
Low-Light Vision See twice as far as a human in low light, distinguishing color and detail.
Malevolence (DC 19) (Su) Magic Jar a creature on the material plane.
Point Blank Shot +1 to attack and damage rolls with ranged weapons at up to 30 feet.
Precise Shot You don't get -4 to hit when shooting or throwing into combat.
Rejuvenation (Su) Ghosts can return after a few days.
Sneak Attack +3d6 +3d6 damage if you flank your target or your target is flat-footed.
Special Arrows (21/day) (DC 19) (Su) When a pixie fires an arrow from any bow, it can decide to change the arrow's properties by sprinkling it with magical pixie dust. Doing so is a free action as long as the pixie is the one who fires the arrow.

A pixie can generate a number of
Spell Resistance (15) You have Spell Resistance.
Telekinesis (Su) Use Telekinesis every 1d4 rounds.
Uncanny Dodge (Ex) Retain Dex bonus to AC when flat-footed.
Undead Traits Undead are immune to death effects, disease, mind-affecting effects (charms, compulsions, morale effects, phantasms, and patterns), paralysis, poison, sleep, stun, and any effect that requires a Fortitude save (unless the effect also works on objects

Hero Lab® and the Hero Lab logo are Registered Trademarks of LWD Technology, Inc. Free download at http://www.wolflair.com
Pathfinder® and associated marks and logos are trademarks of Paizo Publishing, LLC®, and are used under license.

Keneth
2012-07-16, 12:41 AM
Pixie is CR 4, Ghost is CR +2. For a party of 8th level characters, at best you're gonna be a 2nd level rogue, and you gain an extra level halfway to level 9 (and then again halfway between 11th and 12th, and possibly again before 15th, not really sure if templates count).

Other than that, it looks pretty damn annoying. I would work extra hard as a GM to squash that bug. :smallbiggrin:

kaleotter
2012-07-16, 07:16 AM
Hmm. I should be gaining an extra level of rouge when the party hits 6th level, and then again when they hit 8th. I should have 3 levels of rouge as a base, because the young template decreases my CR by 1 (I have no idea why, but it does RAW). Because it goes by CR of the monster, and my base CR is 5, so my level progression should run something like this

4 levels of pixie -1 level for being young +2 levels of Ghost +3 levels of rouge +1 level of rouge received between the 2nd and 3rd level of rouge. At least that's how I read the section on Monsters As PC'S. I then gain another bonus level between levels 6 and 7 of rouge. I think. It all depends on whether the bonus level is one of the 'three levels' for the purpose of advancement. So I should have four levels of rouge at ECL 8

only1doug
2012-07-16, 08:07 AM
Hmm. I should be gaining an extra level of rouge when the party hits 6th level, and then again when they hit 8th. I should have 3 levels of rouge as a base, because the young template decreases my CR by 1 (I have no idea why, but it does RAW). Because it goes by CR of the monster, and my base CR is 5, so my level progression should run something like this

4 levels of pixie -1 level for being young +2 levels of Ghost +3 levels of rouge +1 level of rouge received between the 2nd and 3rd level of rouge. At least that's how I read the section on Monsters As PC'S. I then gain another bonus level between levels 6 and 7 of rouge. I think. It all depends on whether the bonus level is one of the 'three levels' for the purpose of advancement. So I should have four levels of rouge at ECL 8

Ok, a couple of things:
Firstly, Rouge is a colour, Rogue is a thief. I doubt you are planning to play as red.

Secondly, sadly you are misreading how Monsters as PCs (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monstersAsRaces.htm) works:

A monster with Hit Dice of 1 or less, a level adjustment, and class levels adds its class levels, and level adjustment together when determining experience needed (class level + level adjustment)
All of that ECL counts as class levels. and you can't get extra levels in "between" the existing ones without Level adjustment buyoff (which you aren't eligable for yet).

LA buyoff requires character level of 3x LA before you can do so, so a pixie could buy off the 1st point at L12, a pixie ghost could buy off its first point at L18.

Edit: I'm not sure how that applies in pathfinder

Keneth
2012-07-16, 08:25 AM
@only1doug: This is Pathfinder, as I understand it, so the rules work a bit differently.

@kaleotter: Using the young template does indeed reduce your CR by 1.

That changes things, so let's recalculate. You can start the game as a 5th level character (CR 5 + 0 class levels). For every three levels after that you gain another level between the second and third, so +1 midway to 8th level. That puts you at 4th level by level 8 instead of level 9 (as in my previous post). The downside is that you only gain one more extra level before 11th level and after that you level normally. Also being tiny is slightly annoying since you have to actually enter someone's square to attack them.

kaleotter
2012-07-16, 09:03 AM
Bieng tiny isnt an issue here, remember, I'm both invisible and incorporeal at all times, unless i choose not to be invisible as a free action. I corrected the sheet (removed the fifth level of rogue (sorry about the mispelling)).
This characters main trick is based around the use of a helpful party member helping him aquire.. Oh say about 60 gargantuan crossbow bolts. Because quite a lot of things are very definately flat footed against me at almost all times, and I have an attack modifier of something like +16 at level 8, I figured that I could use my telekenisis ability to hurl a sheath of (initially) 12 bolts at my unsuspecting opponent with an attack bonus of +11 (CHA+BAB) (Telekenisis means i can hurl up to 300lbs of stuff, with bolts and arrows doing damage appropriate to a dagger of thier size) to make 12 attacks, each dealing 3d6+2d6 sneak attack damage for a potential maximum output of 36d6+24D6, or 360 damage.
It gets better. At 9th level I get the Malevolence ability, so when I'm not doing that, i'm using magic jar to posess my opponents and trololol them into bieng voluntarily flat-footed for all of my friends to whale on as they see fit. I have a laundry list of abilities and immunities, effectivelty can't be killed without a great deal of work (though it may take me some time to get back to where I was). Because I'm playing sniper, I add my sneak attack damage to ranged attacks out to a range of 40 feet.