PDA

View Full Version : Building a Road [PF]

Human Paragon 3
2012-07-14, 10:58 PM
What craft skill is required to build a road? What is the base price (in silver) of a road? Is it based on the length of the road?

My character is an engineer of sorts with a couple craft skills and the potential for a lot of labor at his disposal. How can I do this?

Ravenica
2012-07-14, 11:20 PM
guess it depends on the kind of road, cobblestone would probably be masonry

deuxhero
2012-07-15, 12:39 AM
Doesn't Kingmaker have some rules on this?

Human Paragon 3
2012-07-15, 09:15 AM
Beats me...

QuidEst
2012-07-15, 09:22 AM
The following are guesses with no expertise behind them. I don't think craft skills are relevant- too many people are needed. He needs ranks in Knowledge(Engineering), or he needs to hire a head overseer (call it 1 gp/day) who does.

I'd say figure you need ten unskilled laborers to build, twenty unskilled laborers to mine, ten unskilled laborers to transport the rock, twenty skilled laborers to cut the rock down, and five skilled laborers to oversee things. Wages: 40 unskilled (4 gp/day), 25 skilled (7.5 gp/day). If somebody else is providing any of the workers, double the cost. If they are providing the workers and the materials, multiply by ten.

Fixed costs:
Quarry- no idea on this one. This makes up the bulk of the fixed cost, of course, unless he can diplomacy his way into using one for the greater good.
Transportation- three beasts of burdon, with one cart each (24 gp for three mules, 45 gp for three carts, 1.5 sp/day for feed is negligible)

Progress:
1 mile / day of shoddy quality (will last a year or two, any repairs are essentially rebuilding)
1/2 mile / day of good quality (will last a decade or two with minor repairs)
1/4 mile / day of excellent quality (will last a lifetime with minor repairs)
1/8 mile / day of Roman quality (will last for centuries with few repairs at all)

Scaling Up:
To double production, double wage costs and multiply fixed costs by 1.5. Only allow doubling for simplicity.

jackattack
2012-07-15, 02:04 PM
What kind of road? Through what terrain?

The most basic road is just a wide path that's been cleared of vegetation, rocks, and debris.

If your road goes through a marsh or a swamp, you'll have to start bringing in large amounts of dirt to build a causeway, or timber to build a long bridge.

If you want a paved road, pick a level. You may find enough rocks in the proposed road itself to break them up and spread gravel on the road. Cobblestones are generally taken from rivers and streams, laid on a bed of sand or mortared into place. Finally, you could opt for brick or stonework, which actually needs to be kind of thick to support wagons (which will wear ruts into it eventually anyway).

Don't forget to include drainage and culverts to prevent your road from flooding or being washed away.

For anything beyond a cut-and-clear type road, you really want someone with Knowledge or Profession Engineering. The DC and men required for construction should increase with the level of complexity of the road itself. You might throw in a bricklayer or a mason at the high end.

Or, hire wizards to use spells like Move Earth and Stone Shape.