PDA

View Full Version : Water Shaper [PEACH]

Batpope Scott
2012-07-15, 08:11 AM
This is my second try at making a class and since I like this idea I am hoping we can make it work. If you want me to add or take away something or even have an idea that might help, please tell me. I would like an explanation if you're asking me to take stuff away though. :smallsmile:

The matters arcane are not only handled with the use of spells, the water shaper proves that the mystical energy from within can be put to a different use. Hermitic wizards and adventurous sorcerers have long sought power to shape the world as they please. The ones that learned this technique often found they needed only one element of the world to conquer a foe. The water shaping technique requires practice and training to be used successfully and often only a keen mind will be able to master it. The technique originates from arcane spellcasters experimenting with their own arcane energies and that of their apprentices to discover alternate paths to take.

Adventures: What better way to test a combat technique than live targets? What better way to find terrible monsters to be targets than adventure? A water shaper wishes to pursue the combat prowess he needs and can add any amount of other reasons to adventure as well.

Characteristics: The water shaper begins as a melee fighter but doesn't have the skill to stay in front by himself. As they grow in prowess the shaper also gains abilities to support his allies at range and even tactical control of the field with their ice abilities.

Alignment: The long training required indicates a more lawful bent, but a shaper may be of any alignment

Religion: Shapers are most common to worship gods of magic or nature but religion isn't necessary for what they do.

Races: The water shaping technique requires rigorous training and a deep understanding of the arcane to master, thus it is rare amongst halflings, gnomes, dwarves, and half-orcs. Elves are common to the trade of water shaping because of their long lifespans giving them time to hone their practice and the natural affinity for the arcane arts. Humans and half elves are also commonly water shapers because of natural curiosity and lust for power. Among the savage humanoids the training required is difficult to come by; but the most likely is the sahuagin or kuo-toa, as they are both well attuned to water.

Other Classes: The water shaper enjoys the company of wizards for backup in combat and for a fellow intellectual trained in arcane arts. Sorcerers are an oddity but are welcomed as they also practice in the arcane. Other martial characters are welcome comrades but perhaps don't have the same motivations or interests. Bards, Rogues, Rangers, and Barbarians all lead lives that the shaper has little understanding of and the monk can appreciate the same kind of mental and physical training. Clerics are helpful and are easily welcomed as a comrade and as a useful font of knowledge about the divine
side of magic.

Table
Custom
{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special

1st|+0|+0|+0|+2|Water Armor

2nd|+1|+0|+0|+3|Water Blade

3rd|+2|+1|+1|+3|DR 1/Piercing

4th|+3|+1|+1|+4|Enhance Water Blade +1, Ice Crafting,

5th|+3|+1|+1|+4|Swift Shaping

6th|+4|+2|+2|+5|Free form Blade

7th|+5|+2|+2|+5|Surfing 30ft (Poor), DR 2/Piercing

8th|+6/+1|+2|+2|+6|Endure Elements, Enhance Water Blade+2

9th|+6/+1|+3|+3|+6|Ice Ball

10th|+7/+2|+3|+3|+7|Surfing 50ft (Average)

11th|+8/+3|+3|+3|+7|DR 3/Piercing

12th|+9/+4|+4|+4|+8|Enhance Water blade +3

13th|+9/+4|+4|+4|+8|Healing Waters

14th|+10/+5|+4|+4|+9|Ice Shaping Expertise

15th|+11/+6/+1|+5|+5|+9|Gust of Steam, DR 4/Piercing

16th|+12/+7/+2|+5|+5|+10|Enhance Water Blade

17th|+12/+7/+2|+5|+5|+10|Surfing 100ft(Good)

18th|+13/+8/+3|+6|+6|+11|

19th|+14/+9/+4|+6|+6|+11|DR 5/Piercing

20th|+15/+10/+5|+6|+6|+12|Enhance Water Blade +5, Surfing 150ft(Perfect), Water Mastery

[/table]
Game Rule Information
Alignment: Any
Hit Die: 1d8

Class Skills:
Class Skills: Balance, Climb, Craft, Decipher Script, Jump, Knowledge(Any), Listen, Search, Sense Motive, Spellcraft, Spot, Survival, Swim, Use Magic Device, Use Rope
Skill Points at 1st Level: (4 + Int modifier) × 4
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 4 + Int modifier

Class Features
Weapons and Armor Proficiency: The Water Shaper is proficient with simple weapons and their water blade. The shaper has no armor or shield proficiency as the armor incurs arcane spell failure chance for all water shaping abilities.

Water Armor(Su): At first level a water shaper learns the first and most important ability of theshaping technique; The Water Armor. Water armor uses water to deflect blows away from its wielder and when perfected, can even stop a blow entirely. At first level your water armor gives a deflection bonus to AC equal to your Intelligence modifier. This bonus increases as you increase in levels at a rate of an addition +1 at every fifth level starting at five (+1 at fifth, +2 at tenth, +3 at fifteenth, and +4 at twentieth). Summoning and shaping the armor is a standard action that provokes attacks of opportunity.

Water Blade:At second level the water shaper gains the ability to create a water blade that has the same stats as a scimitar(1d6 damage 18-20crit range slashing) but may look like any one handed blade as fits the wielder. The water blade has no weight and summoning and shaping the water is a move action. The shaper can only have one water blade.

Damage Reduction: At third level the water shaper learns to stop blows directly with the water armor as well as deflecting them. This ability grants DR 1/Piercing and is in effect at all times the water armor would be. The DR gained by this ability increases every four levels(7th DR 2/P, 11th DR 3/P, 15th DR 4/P, 19th DR 5/P) and stacks with all other forms of damage reduction.

Enhance Water Blade: The water shaper gains the ability at fourth level to enhance his water blade as if it were being enchanted the moment he wills it into being. The water blade is treated as a +1 weapon at 4th level and increases by +1 every four levels (+2 at 8th, +3 at 12th and so on.)

Ice Crafting: At fourth level the water shaper learns basic control of temperature and can cool water to create ice. This grants the ability of crafting items out of ice, such as basic weapons, shields, tools, and even just blocks of ice or creating an icy floor trap. Ice that is not directly being handled by the shaper will melt normally, but if the shaper concentrates on the item or holds it in hand they can keep the item from melting. Crafting tools, armor, weapons, and shields requires a Spellcraft check equal to what the items check would be if the shaper were craftng it normally. The creation of items takes one full round for every 20lbs of ice created, or one round for every 2 days the normal craft check would have taken; whichever is longer.

Swift Shaping: At fifth level the water shaper learns to summon and shape water faster. The water armor ability now only takes a move action to summon, and the water blade now takes only a swift action.

Free form Blade: At sixth level the shaper gains greater control over their water blade and can turn the water blade into any Simple or Martial melee weapon with the same stats as the one it resembles. The shaper also gains the amount of control to shape two blades at the same time, but they must be the same weapon and accrue two weapon fighting penalties as normal. The shaper is proficient with any form the water blade takes.

Surfing:The shaper may use water to propel themselves through the air starting at 7th level. This can be treated as flight with a 30ft speed and poor maneuverability. This ability increases to 50ft (Average) at 10th, 100ft(good) at 17th and 150ft(Perfect) at 20th.

Endure Elements: The water shaper gains more mastery over temperature at eighth level and gains the effects of endure elements as long as the shaper keeps up the water armor.

Ice Ball: At ninth level the water shaper may throw an ice ball that is filled with water and small ice shards to create a thrown splash weapon that only works for the shaper. The ball is created as a move action and does damage equal to 1d6/2 water shaper levels. The ice ball cannot be used by anyone other than the shaper and more than one cannot be in creation from a single shaper. If the shaper is hit while the ball is created the shaper must make a concentration check with a DC of (15+damage dealt) or the ball falls apart to no effect. Any other disturbance to his concentration must be dealt with as a spell with the exception of the shaper cannot cast defensively. Unlike most thrown weapons the Ice ball has a range increment of 20ft and can go up to five increments. The ball has a splash radius of 10ft and deals 1 point of cold and piercing damage per level every two levels of water shaper to all who don't make a reflex save of (15+Int mod of the shaper)

Healing Waters: At 13th level the Water shaper has learned the ability to tap into the power of positive energy and can channel it through their water to heal themselves and others. As a full round action the water shaper can heal 1d6/ two water shaper levels.

Ice Shaping Expertise: The water shapers ability to cool ice has increased and as such has become faster with the ice crafting ability. The shaper may now create the previous amounts as a move action.

Gust of Steam:The water shaper can now shoot out a gust of steam that pushes back opponents within ten feet. When targeting an opponent you make a bull rush adding one third your water shaper level and your intelligence modifier. This can be used as many times as you have attacks in round. The attack is made at an opponent within twenty feet of you.

Water Mastery: The Water shaper gains mastery over water and can now create ice balls as a swift action, water armor as a move action, water blades as a free action and can craft twice as much ice with the ice crafting ability in a move action.

137beth
2012-07-15, 11:39 AM
You mention arcane spell failure chance from armor, but do not list any spells/day, spells known, or spell list...

Ice Crafting: At fourth level the water shaper learns basic control of temperature and can cool water to create ice. This grants the ability of crafting items out of ice, such as basic weapons, shields, tools, and even just blocks of ice or creating an icy floor trap. Ice that is not directly being handled by the shaper will melt normally, but if the shaper concentrates on the item or holds it in hand they can keep the item from melting. Crafting tools, armor, weapons, and shields requires a Spellcraft check equal to what the items check would be if the shaper were craftng it normally. The creation of items takes one full round for every 20lbs of ice created, or one round for every 2 days the normal craft check would have taken; whichever is longer.
But only mundane items, right? Otherwise this would be absurd. Also, " if the shaper concentrates on the item or holds it in hand", how many items can he concentrate on at once? One? Unlimited?

Finally, you need something for 18th level. Since you already have control over the temperature of water, what about an ability which allows you to vaporize water quickly?

Also, what happens when you freeze (or vaporize) the water in an enemy's body?

masterstalker2
2012-07-18, 05:10 PM
Ben does point out some important things. I think this class is good, but needs to have a few things ironed out.

Also, for the Water Blade, I think that, like the Water Armor, the focused attribute for that should also be Intelligence (The weapon would use INT for both accuracy and damage).

Batpope Scott
2012-07-19, 12:25 AM
You mention arcane spell failure chance from armor, but do not list any spells/day, spells known, or spell list...

But only mundane items, right? Otherwise this would be absurd. Also, " if the shaper concentrates on the item or holds it in hand", how many items can he concentrate on at once? One? Unlimited?

Finally, you need something for 18th level. Since you already have control over the temperature of water, what about an ability which allows you to vaporize water quickly?

Also, what happens when you freeze (or vaporize) the water in an enemy's body?

The water armor ability itself is incurring arcane spell failure chance for lack of a better idea for that. When you use it you roll arcane spell failure.

Yes, only mundane. No magic stuff, because enchanting on the go is a no go.

I usually assume that things like heating and freezing don't affect people, but it would probably do a bit of damage like the weather effect or a similar spell. I'll think about it.

Batpope Scott
2012-07-19, 02:13 AM
Ben does point out some important things. I think this class is good, but needs to have a few things ironed out.

Also, for the Water Blade, I think that, like the Water Armor, the focused attribute for that should also be Intelligence (The weapon would use INT for both accuracy and damage).

I don't think that I should just give that to it, a it's a more physical magic and the shaper IS actually swinging the blade.

Madara
2012-07-20, 10:27 AM
I like it a lot, but it seems to lack in flexibility/ customization. Even fighters get to pick different bonus feats.

Plus at low levels, (Especially level 1) you don't really stand out or do anything different from a fighter except have simple weapon proficiency.

DR is nice, but if that's your whole class ability for the level make it start at DR 2. Maybe you can give them a water elemental companion(I don't suggest using the same stats as the actual water elemental. Pick a different monster and refluff it as a "Water Guardian", maybe give the Water Shaper the ability to heal their Water Guardian as a standard action for 1d6/ 2 class levels hp.

Wisdom works in that sense a little better. Usually water is thematically tied with wisdom.

I don't think that I should just give that to it, a it's a more physical magic and the shaper IS actually swinging the blade.

Maybe compromise? Make it Dex to hit, since it would make sense that a swift fluid motion would work better with a waterblade.

Batpope Scott
2012-07-20, 02:17 PM
I like it a lot, but it seems to lack in flexibility/ customization. Even fighters get to pick different bonus feats.

Plus at low levels, (Especially level 1) you don't really stand out or do anything different from a fighter except have simple weapon proficiency.

DR is nice, but if that's your whole class ability for the level make it start at DR 2. Maybe you can give them a water elemental companion(I don't suggest using the same stats as the actual water elemental. Pick a different monster and refluff it as a "Water Guardian", maybe give the Water Shaper the ability to heal their Water Guardian as a standard action for 1d6/ 2 class levels hp.

Wisdom works in that sense a little better. Usually water is thematically tied with wisdom.

Maybe compromise? Make it Dex to hit, since it would make sense that a swift fluid motion would work better with a waterblade.
There isn't a whole lot of flexibility but not a lot of classes have that. Hell, pretty much every barbarian looks the same. There is some, though. You aren't restricted in the same way as the soul knife for weapons and you aren't exactly lacking in tactics with the extra abilities. The ice crafting can be really useful if you think it through, trust me.

The idea behind the class wasn't to stand out. You do things in a new way.
I think the DR is fine as it is, because the barbarian doesn't get DR till seven and it's only 1 point. The warlocks progression is the same as this one.

If the character playing this wants to use their dex instead of strength, they can take weapon finesse. Being a melee fighter was the idea on that ability. Nothing more, nothing less.

137beth
2012-07-21, 10:31 AM
The water armor ability itself is incurring arcane spell failure chance for lack of a better idea for that. When you use it you roll arcane spell failure.
But what has a chance of failing? Arcane spell failure chance doesn't do anything if you can't cast arcane spells:smallconfused:

Batpope Scott
2012-07-27, 03:57 PM
But what has a chance of failing? Arcane spell failure chance doesn't do anything if you can't cast arcane spells:smallconfused:

The idea was that the water shapers abilities functioned like arcane spells with regards to armor and arcane spell failure chance. Kind of like the warlock with their invocations. So, to answer your question, every ability he has incurs spell failure. A chance for failure on use due to not being used to armor while doing the movements for his abilities.

masterstalker2
2012-07-27, 06:22 PM
Surfing should probably be more of a high level power, it can be overpowered at lower levels.

137beth
2012-07-28, 08:48 AM
The idea was that the water shapers abilities functioned like arcane spells with regards to armor and arcane spell failure chance. Kind of like the warlock with their invocations. So, to answer your question, every ability he has incurs spell failure. A chance for failure on use due to not being used to armor while doing the movements for his abilities.

That makes sense. I would suggest that you say that in the OP so that other people don't ask the same line of questions I just did.

Batpope Scott
2012-08-05, 07:11 PM
Surfing should probably be more of a high level power, it can be overpowered at lower levels.

Can I ask how that is? I followed the rules for flight out of the dmg and it says sixth level is when adventurers typically gain the ability for sustained flight.