PDA

View Full Version : Favored deity by region in the Forgotten Realms

realbombchu
2012-07-15, 01:16 PM
This might sound like a silly question, but can you choose a deity not listed for your region (in Player's Guide to Faerun or Champions of Valor, I mean) and still gain the regional benefits, such as equipment and feats? I've played in the realms before, of course, but we've never used the region rules.

I'm making a lawful good dwarf conjurer from the Holy Realm (Champions of Valor) in/near Turmish. Thing is, I want him to worship Moradin, but the closest deity on the Holy Realm list is Helm, and I don't think he fits the character as well.

I can just say he's from Turmish, because that's also a dwarf region, but if he is from the Holy Realm, he can choose Celestial as a bonus language option. That's kind of nice for a conjurer. Thanks for the help.

JustPlayItLoud
2012-07-15, 01:49 PM
Yes. The only mechanical impact of favored deity if for divine spellcasters. The deities listed are just there to inform you of the most commonly worshiped deities in that region. There are no requirements with regard to patron deity for any class that doesn't cast divine spells.

realbombchu
2012-07-15, 05:40 PM
Thank you, glad to hear it. Sorry, I know it's not a cool as some of these questions, but the region rules were confusing me.

deuxhero
2012-07-15, 08:02 PM
Yes. The only mechanical impact of favored deity if for divine spellcasters. The deities listed are just there to inform you of the most commonly worshiped deities in that region. There are no requirements with regard to patron deity for any class that doesn't cast divine spells.

Complete Champion has some stuff.

Alleran
2012-07-15, 10:41 PM
Thank you, glad to hear it. Sorry, I know it's not a cool as some of these questions, but the region rules were confusing me.
They're basically just a way of getting some free starting equipment above and beyond the regular WBL you have.