PDA

View Full Version : Need help with social encounters

Tim Proctor
2012-07-15, 07:54 PM
So in my plane jumping Campaign the group has ended up in a town of cultists, ones that worship a giant azure oyster, where the militant sect wears deep purple clothes, they have a prophecy about when there is smoke on the water and fire in the skies if they don't fear the reaper then they will live for eternity while 40,000 men and women die in the fires everyday (hope some of you know where this goes, goes its going off the deep end).

So the cult's enemies are Bear Warrior Druids called "Cura Ursus", and they don't like the emotionless state that the Cultists are supposed to achieve, etc. etc. so they are enemies. Anyways the leaders of the Cult are Brother Noheairt, Sister Shreeky, and a Bugbear named Beastly (We're half way off the deep end).

So the group ends up in a town of cultists and they have to get a Greater Portal Compass, which Brother Nohearit has in the treasure room of the great azure oyster. I got the dungeon down and it is all something that a level 14 wizard can do within 1 year within a couple spells of various levels.

I need help with the social roleplaying of the town (about 600 people). It is a rotating DM game and the social guy is mine (Marshal with a +59 to diplomacy - don't use in combat, but will use to keep out of combat), so I can't do all the social roleplay stuff as the DMNPC. We have a Necromancer, Planar Ranger, Aristocratic Rogue, Exotic Weapon Sundering Master, and a Fervant Evangelist of Pelor.

The campaign has a lot of hidden pop culture references which are worth a couple extra xp if players get them, with a good amount of humor and comedy intermixed. Also there is no segment that is considered offensive with this group , so no need to be mild.

Here is the only social encounter that I have:

On a Listen Check DC 15 the group hears two people exchange words
Man 1: How old were you when you first engaged in sexual activity with a partner?
Thick Accent Man: 14.
Man 1: How?
Thick Accent Man: With horse.
Man 1: [pause] How often were you having intercourse with animals at age 14?
Thick Accent Man: [stunned] It's true. I ****ed a pony. You are genius, how did you know?
Man 1: You just said you had
[pause]
Man 1: sex with horse.
Thick Accent Man: Nooo... Whores, not horse, *whores*.