PDA

View Full Version : Multiple Familiars

VGLordR2
2012-07-15, 08:59 PM
Hey, guys. I was thinking about running a Sha'ir in an upcoming campaign, and I was just wondering; is there a way to obtain multiple Gen familiars? I think that having more than one could be very important for a Sha'ir. I did a bit of Googling, and the best I found was the Extra Familiar (http://www.realmshelps.net/cgi-bin/featbox.pl?feat=Extra_Familiar) feat, from Dragon Magazine. However, it specifies an extra animal familiar. So, is there any way to get multiple Gen familiars?

Tim Proctor
2012-07-15, 09:02 PM
I don't know what Gen means, but Improved Familair and pg 199 from the DMG should lead you into the right direction.

VGLordR2
2012-07-15, 09:03 PM
I don't know what Gen means, but Improved Familair and pg 199 from the DMG should lead you into the right direction.

The Sha'ir have special familiars, called Gen. The Gen are used to acquire spells for the Sha'ir. (They come in four varieties, one for each of the four elements.)

Tim Proctor
2012-07-15, 09:10 PM
The Planar Familiar feat ( Planar Handbook, p. 41) allows you to get a small elemental as a familiar.

The problem is that you're looking at Extra Familiar, and Planar Familiar in order to get a small elemental.

Leadership with Improved Cohort will allow for a better elemental. If your DM is really, really brave they will allow your Cohort to have Leadership/Improved Leadership and continue the cascade effect, for a bunch of elementals.

VGLordR2
2012-07-15, 09:31 PM
The Planar Familiar feat ( Planar Handbook, p. 41) allows you to get a small elemental as a familiar.

The problem is that you're looking at Extra Familiar, and Planar Familiar in order to get a small elemental.

I considered that. The problem is, I think that they are referring to actual elementals, rather than creatures with an elemental type. Even then, Gen are tiny creatures, so that method won't work.

Tim Proctor
2012-07-15, 09:46 PM
Maybe Mephit's from planar familiar would work? I don't see an exact match, but your DM may just allow it, via the DMG 199 the improved familiar is just an example and any others that are similar ratings, ECL, etc. should be similar.

Cor1
2012-07-16, 07:55 AM
Maybe the Soulspark Familiar? It's in Magic of Incarnum p86 (Soulmeld) and p197-198 (monster listing). It's like a second familiar, for the price of a spell (4th, 7th or 9th lvl), that lasts a day. (Usual methods for cheap repeating spells apply.)

Malimar
2012-07-18, 07:38 PM
The problem with all these suggestions is that the gen familiar is what fetches the sha'ir's spells for him. This is why the OP mentions that having more than one could be useful; it takes time for the gen to fetch a spell, so with a second familiar you could get twice as many spells in the same amount of time.

If this were a feature of the sha'ir itself, then it could be argued that you can apply the feature to any kind of familiar that can plane shift. But no: "Fetch Spells (Ex)", the ability that allows the gen to fetch spells for a sha'ir, is in the gen's stat block, not the sha'ir's class features. By RAW, it seems fairly clear that only a creature with the Fetch Spells ability can fetch spells for the sha'ir, and only actual gens have the Fetch Spells ability. You need a gen; nothing else will do, not regular familiars, not mephits, not elementals.

So, basically, you need Extra Familiar and something that allows you to choose any cr1/2 Outsider you desire as your familiar. Which, yes, looks like Improved Familiar + DM fiat or Planar Familiar + DM fiat. I don't think you can do it without DM fiat.

Me, I'd probably strongly consider allowing it as a DM; for the cost of two (or more) feats, letting the sha'ir fetch two (or more) spells at once probably wouldn't break it. Though it could become to the sha'ir what Font of Inspiration is to the factotum or Natural Spell is to the druid: so obvious a choice that it isn't really even a choice at all, it's just a thing you have to take.

Psyren
2012-07-18, 09:01 PM
The counterpoint is that Sha'ir are already T1 and thus hardly need the help. The length of time retrieving spells is a balancing factor to them; It's the price they pay for not needing a spellbook, prayerbook, kowtowing to an outsider/ideal or tracking UPD etc.

If this is allowed then by all means go for it (get a gen of each type even) but if not then the sha'ir will still be fine.

One of the nicest things about Sha'ir is that if they're allowed in a game, you can make a case for any other Dragon material by association.

Deth Muncher
2012-07-18, 09:18 PM
...I'd just point out that I'd never heard of this class before, thanks to not really looking at the Al Qadim stuff before now, but after having been introduced I'm pretty sure this is going to be my next character. Or at least find a way to work one into my games as an NPC.

I'm gonna second Tim Proctor's suggestion of using Leadership to get Gen cohorts, since it seems like that'd pretty much be everything you've ever wanted.

VGLordR2
2012-07-18, 09:29 PM
For any of you who care, my DM did allow me to take the Planar Familiar feat and the Extra Familiar feat three times. I have one gen of each element. I also added in a fun roleplaying idea. Each of the four gen represents one of the four alignment axes. Air corresponds to Chaos, Earth corresponds to Law, Fire corresponds to Evil, and Water corresponds to Good. My character is True Neutral. The gen attempt to convince me to follow their alignment. (It's similar to the angel on one shoulder and the devil on the other). Whenever I need a spell, I roll a d4 to randomly determine the gen that will fetch my spells. This means that the gen on the opposite side of the alignment axis will have more influence over my character. So far, I've only been able to play one session with this character, but it has been a lot of fun. I think that Sha'irs are very fun, flavorful characters. I highly recommend them.

Psyren
2012-07-18, 10:29 PM
That's... a pretty cool concept actually. Consider my objections rescinded.

Is there any mechanical effect to your alignment under this system?

VGLordR2
2012-07-18, 10:39 PM
That's... a pretty cool concept actually. Consider my objections rescinded.

Is there any mechanical effect to your alignment under this system?

My alignment does not change. It's mostly roleplay. My character will only be slightly influenced. For instance, if Good is off fetching a spell, and Evil starts haranguing me, I might be inclined to perform a small evil act (generally impulsively). For example, I might steal an unattended valuable item. I will not, however, do any extremely evil act. The gen have just enough influence to have an effect, but not so much that I will have angry Paladins breathing down my neck. It is very fun to roleplay.