PDA

View Full Version : Juicy, Sweet Souls

TheLooker
2012-07-15, 11:23 PM
So as far as creating magic items goes, I'm looking for ways to trap mass amounts of souls. One thing I was thinking of doing was possibly making a whole bunch of arrows or darts or something out of thinaun, and then jabbing those into people using telekinesis to absorb their souls. Would this work? If it did how much would it cost? Maybe I should go for the Extract Demonic Essence feat? I'm basically looking for ways to use experience points other than my own to power stuff. Another idea I had was to use the Thought Bottle, but that seemed to kind of stretch it, but I don't know. Help in this matter would be greatly appreciated!

Dayaz
2012-07-15, 11:44 PM
3.5 or PF?

No idea on how to do it in 3.5, but in PF you could summon/bind a bunch of Cacodaemons or have one as your familiar... they eat souls that turn into soul gems >.>

umbergod
2012-07-15, 11:51 PM
If its 3.5, and 3.0 material is allowed, check out the rewards for sacrifices to evil gods. Specifically Dark Craft Experience. Knowledge(religion) check to sacrifice something to a dark god/devil/demon, get what is basically an evil version of an artificer's Craft Reserve.

Slipperychicken
2012-07-16, 12:42 AM
If its 3.5, and 3.0 material is allowed, check out the rewards for sacrifices to evil gods. Specifically Dark Craft Experience. Knowledge(religion) check to sacrifice something to a dark god/devil/demon, get what is basically an evil version of an artificer's Craft Reserve.

I second this. Each soul is 10xp, so that's basically worthless. Rules for Sacrifice are in BoVD, and use the Dark Craft xp option. It's basically a Know (Religion) check that's really easy to boost if you have a cult and some time at your disposal. You get DC x 3 (DC times three) experience. You can also get "dark craft gp" from a given sacrifice, which is the same deal, only as gp, and you get (DC x 5) gp for your trouble.

Souls and Dark Craft xp explicitly stack, so pile on the souls if you have a good, cheap way of extracting them.

TheLooker
2012-07-16, 01:10 AM
Everything is 3.5 and 3.0 updated. The Dark Craft sounds interesting. Are there feats I need?

Kelb_Panthera
2012-07-16, 01:24 AM
Everything is 3.5 and 3.0 updated. The Dark Craft sounds interesting. Are there feats I need?

not-a-one. Just victims and a party/ DM that's cool with it. There is some equipment you can pick up to boost your skill check though.

umbergod
2012-07-16, 01:56 AM
not-a-one. Just victims and a party/ DM that's cool with it. There is some equipment you can pick up to boost your skill check though.

This is what makes playing an evil artificer so OP. Craft Reserve? Check. Dark Craft Gold? Check. Free magic items? Oh yes.

Slipperychicken
2012-07-16, 10:29 AM
This is what makes playing an evil artificer so OP. Craft Reserve? Check. Dark Craft Gold? Check. Free magic items? Oh yes.

You're still blowing a bunch of time and energy grabbing/sacrificing victims, dragging them to a special location, and probably maintaining a cult on the side.

Be sure to sacrifice to an entity who a) will reward multiple sacrifices per day, and b) isn't picky about where you sacrifice. This way you can sacrifice any KO'd-but-not-dead enemies to pick up Dark Craft xp.

Also, make sure the whole party is on board with letting you "get your Evil on" with nearly-dead enemies in exchange for cheaper magic items. Get at least one of them to be an assistant (Aid Another ftw) for a free +2.