PDA

View Full Version : What Fools these Mortals Be...

Mr. X
2012-07-16, 03:32 AM
Knowledge is a curious thing... Like a potent drug, each taste always leaves you marvelously unsatisfied, and unquenchably thirsting for more.

Faith is nearly the antithesis, supporting ignorance over understanding, but is inarguably equally potent in the craving it instills in its followers, and the power it provides them.

The puzzle of the divinities is perhaps the most curious thing of all... What game do they play at? The powers they bestow upon their faithful are peerless, but like a wizard's formula, may be written, passed on, and even brought to bear by followers of alternate faiths, or even of no faith at all...

Perhaps it is the mere recitation of the prayers that sates their need for following? Perhaps even the very act of calling upon their aid shows the world that, despite any vocal or even subconscious denial of the same, a persons absolute faith in not only the god's presence, but also devout belief that the god shall intervene on their behalf.

You are not a devout man in any sense, but you have read the scrolls, said and sung the prayers, felt the divine touch, and made use of powers that were most clearly not your own... And it is the 'Why' of it that drives you most. Your desire to collect the written knowledge of the gods that you might truly understand them as they are... For surely, in mountains of innocuous prayers, recitations, hymns, sacrifices, offerings, and homages, there must be hidden some clue as to the true nature of these beings, and why they behave as they do...

To this end, you find yourself standing in the library of the great temple at Beluvah. The last year you've spent negotiating, bribing, and in some cases, even swindling your way into being allowed access to their protected archives... And now here you stand, aflutter with anticipation, not even certain of what you hope to find...

Go ahead and have a look around. Give me a Spellcraft check while your at it.

thirdkingdom
2012-07-16, 03:51 AM
Arian Demonbane, Archivist
Wide-eyed, Arian looks around the room, spies a likely starting place, and descends on the scrolls there like a diving hawk.
Spellcraft (1d20+10=16) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3609911/) Bah, I should have just taken 10!

Mr. X
2012-07-17, 10:53 PM
You spend several hours pouring over the mountains of scrolls and tomes, with largely disappointing result...

Again and again, the same old rhetoric of guiding laws and servitudes (different, perhaps with regards to the various gods they refer to, but otherwise they might as well be interchangeable).

As the hours wax on, you find your mind wandering as you walk the endless rows of texts, back to your times spent studying the arcanists' methods... Their ordered approach, and endless geometric patterns and formulas used to describe the world and the forces working within it, always rang true with you. And despite your having never taken up the mantle of their studies, you did pick up an absent habit of taking note of the patterns and geometric relations around you.

It is as your mind wanders thusly, that you abruptly realize that the layout of the Archive is uneven...

The veritable Labrynth of shelves and bookcases is such that doubtless no-one, even we're they searching for such an anomaly, would likely ever notice it... But as your quickening pace carries you passed row after dusty row, you are more and more thoroughly convinced that there is an area, perhaps as large as a cloak-room, that you cannot reach, and for which there can be no architectural purpose.

thirdkingdom
2012-07-18, 05:58 AM
Arian steps back, looking slightly puzzled, and glances around to make sure there is no one else nearby. He begins to pace off the distance that seems to be inaccessable, looking for some sort of clue; a door, oddly arranged shelf, hinged shelf, etc.
Again, crappy roll.Search (1d20+3=7) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3612909/)

Mr. X
2012-07-18, 11:50 PM
Working your way around the area, you fail to find any mundane means of entry...

Perhaps a more mystical approach might prove effective...

thirdkingdom
2012-07-19, 03:34 AM
Thinking hard, Arian comes up with what seems to be the only solution. He casts one spell he has memorized, then another from one of his many scrolls . . .
cast summon monster I to bring a celestial monkey to hopefully within the secret room, then cast speak with animals to communicate with it. Speaking in as low a voice as possible, Arian commands the monkey to open any door from within. This is all I got, man.

Mr. X
2012-07-20, 01:59 AM
Muttering a known prayer under your breath, and fingering the holy symbol of the deity to whom the prayer relates(you've got several), you feel the warmth of the divine touch, and the presence of the celestial creature somewhere beyond the stacks of books, and you quickly read off one of your own scrolls to convey your request to the creature...

A moment or two passes, but then you hear a metallic click, and a heavy bookcase, not two feet from you, shudders, and swings outward with a loud rusted screech...

Within, is a small room, thickly coated in perhaps a century's worth of dust. Two shelves of crumbling scrolls and books line either side of the room, and a stone pedestal sits at one end, supporting a large, heavily bound folio tome.

Nice!

The noise made by the thing opening was loud enough that you expect someone to be coming to check on it. You've probably got about 5 minutes before they get to you, though.

thirdkingdom
2012-07-20, 03:57 AM
Eyes glowing with anticipation, Arian steps into the room, casting a quick spell to reveal any magic within. He makes a cursory inspection of the bookshelves, then heads for the pedastal and tome.
casting detect magic and making a Search (1d20+3=15) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3615629/)check

Mr. X
2012-07-21, 08:48 PM
There are four scrolls of significant power, and the Tome itself nearly resonates with power.

The binding is a thick, rough hide, with an odd, silvery sheen to it, and the scribbled writing within is so erratic that, even if you could understand the bizarre language it's written in, it is nearly incomprehensible.

I'll tell you what the scrolls are once you have a chance to sit down and read them.

'Comprehend Languages' will allow you to understand the tome's language, but you'll likely still need a Decipher Script check to be able to accurately read it...

You're looking at hours of work, at the very least, to acquire even a cursory understanding of the contents.

thirdkingdom
2012-07-22, 06:13 AM
Realizing that his time is short before the librarians come to investigate the noise, Arian makes the decision to abscond with the book. After all, they had been hidden for what looks likes centuries, so they wouldn't be missed. Besides, he would be able to put them to better use.
Arian scoops up the four scrolls that are strongly magical and the tome, trying to carry them in as unobtrusive manner as possible. Leaving the secret room, he closes the door so as to possibly confuse any investigators. Looking around, he begins to head for the main entrance, taking a route that should allow him to bypass any coming to investigate.
If needed, Arian will summon another celestial monkey and command it to create a distraction deeper in the library so he can make his escape. He will also cast obscuring mist if needed. I had forgotten Arian's languages; I'm going with Common, Celestial, Abyssal and Draconic.When he has time to study his finds he will use readmagic, comprehend languages and take 20 using Decipher Script(for a 32).

Mr. X
2012-07-23, 01:48 AM
You close the bookcase with another defening screech, and make your way off through the Labrynth of shelves and cases. With little difficulty you avoid the hurried footsteps of the cleric on duty, and casually slip passed his unoccupied desk and out into the temple proper, where you are quickly lost in the crowds.

The sky darkens, as you make your way home, and the first few drops of rain spatter you as you reach your door, just before the coming storm hits.

Reaching your apartment, the rain outside begins in ernest, and you have a look at your newly acquired goods...

Three of the scrolls are spells of horrifying power and destruction... The forth details a complex ritual by which a person might conjure one of the very Dukes of Hell, contain him upon this plane, and compel him to answer honestly a number of questions...

The tome is page after page of such hideous blasphemies that it turns your stomach. The writings, by some depraved and insane lunatic, spit in the faces of gods and daemons alike, their battles of principle petty squabbles to be forgotten in a blink of the cosmos eye, as so many before them.

A fair bit in, there is a prophacy:

When all that was is lost and forgotten, when the stars' are right and the seas are low, the folly of courage shall lead Bahumat's Son false, and the gods shall weep once more...

The scrolls contain the following spells:

Blasphemy
Creeping Doom
Symbol of Insanity

The scroll of the summoning ritual appears to be a clear set of directions, layed out that anyone, of any level of power, or even none at all, could make use of them... If done correctly.

Amid the horrid scribbling, the tome contains a great number of powerful and complex spells, all beyond your current capacity.

thirdkingdom
2012-07-23, 06:40 AM
Intrigued, Arian spends a fair bit of time researching the prophecy, specifically seeing if the temporal parameters mentioned correspond to the current age.

Mr. X
2012-07-23, 09:18 AM
It's somewhat difficult to say... Certainly the 'Bahumat's Son' must refer to one of the 'Dragonborn'... These 'chosen' of the deity started appearing around fifty years ago, and are generally regarded with a mixture of fear and awe. Powerful creatures, several have become great heroes, while just as many have grown to be great terrors on the land. As to the one referred to, it's anyone's guess.

It seems you've heard that the tides have been a bit lower of late... Theirs being an occasion you are not particularly studious of, it is difficult to say for sure without speaking with someone who knows.

As for the stars, the shifting heavenly bodies are ever the providers of the portents of the gods. The planetary movements through the constilations always indicative of things to come on earth...

All that being said, there are no particular celestial events occurring presently, or even expected to occur... However, now that you think on it, many of the fortunes told from the street corner vendors, up to the priestly diviners, have taken on a somewhat more negative lilt, and ominous tone... Not enough to have caused you to comment upon previously, but there it is.

Finally, as you pour through the pages of vile writing, you come upon a drawing.

It appears to be a stone carving, though the sketch is so haphazard that it's almost impossible to decern what the artist intended, but beneath it are scribbled the words 'Stone at Crescent Bay'.

Crescent Bay is the bay upon which Beluvah sits.

thirdkingdom
2012-07-23, 09:39 AM
While schooled in several fields of esoterica the mundane studies of local lore and geography are not among Adrian's areas of expertise. Shutting the tome with a flourish, he makes sure his apartment is secured, his newfound scrolls are on his person and goes in search of the one person who might be able to help. An ancient dwarf sunk deep into the twin depravities of drink and young maidens, Old Tom is the resident expert on local history and legend. If anyone knows of the stone it would be he. And all it usually took to get Tom's tongue to wag was a couple of drinks and a buxom young barmaid to grope.

Mr. X
2012-07-25, 12:34 PM
You find Old Tom in one of his usual haunts, 'The Leaking Barrel', in one of the scumier areas of town, down by the docks.

The night is not particularly busy, given the storm, and as you shake the rain off your cloak, see him on a bench near the fire... Passed out on the table in front of him, with an empty stein hooked in his grasp.

A barmaid indicates a hook where you can hang your cloak, and takes your order.

thirdkingdom
2012-07-25, 01:10 PM
Arian orders a bowl of stew, hunk of bread, three shots of whiskey and three mugs of beer, all for Old Tom. When the drinks arrive he gently shakes Tom's shoulder while whispering a prayer to one god or another. "Wake up old man, it is I, your fried Arian, in need of your wisdom and memory. And look, I bring food and drink, and mayhap a whore later if your memory lives up to what it used to be! I seek information on this, a stone reputed to overlook the bay. Have you seen or heard tell of such a thing?" Arian slides him a copy of the drawing he has made.
So, I hope it is cool for me to make up details like Old Tom and stuff. Also, the prayer he mutters? Cure Light Wounds. I'm hoping I can use it to sober him up a bit. Not to sober, mind you, not going for the whole detox thing. More like waking him up and making room for the booze he buys him.

Mr. X
2012-07-25, 07:49 PM
The old dwarf grumbles at your first shake, and then suddenly jerks. His stein snaps up, knocking you soundly in the jaw and sending you sprawling onto the floor, as he shouts in a liquer sodden haze,

"I DINNAE TOUCH 'ER!! AN' 'SIDES SHE SAID SHE 'AS SINGLE!! HOW'S I TA KNOW I CUD STILL GET A GURL PREGNA... Oh, Arian...?" His rant runs out of steam as he comes blearily to, and he recognizes you.

"... Oh, uh, hullo..." He says, lamely, his foggy gaze waivers over you and the table, and, coming to rest on the row of beers, he makes the obvious conclusion that they must belong to him, and slides one over to you.

"Sorry and all that, I was dreamin' o' the lady Jirowin. Princess o' the Forest, she was, and a wild animal if there ever was one, Ha! Bit thin for my taste, truth be told, but a spry li'l thing to be sure, even if she was 40 years ma senior. 'Er father dinnae like me much, tho' I'll say that much.

Drink up, it'll set ya right straight. The swill 'ere ain't nothin' to write a song o' 'bout, but 'least they keep yer glass full, eh?!"

As he finishes, as if by reflex, he knocks back one of the whiskies, and washes it down quickly with almost half of the next beer.

"So what's got you crawlin' out inta tha daylight? Ya said they let ya into the temple library yeah? I figured it'd be months 'fore you came up for air again." He laughs loudly, "Could it be ye seen tha light?! *Gasp* Fair maidens take heart! Li'l Arian's taste for dust an' parchment's been sated! And Lo! He strides forth te experiance the finer, fleshier parts o' life!!"

He finishes, buckling over and hacking with laughter so hard he nearly falls out of his chair.

sorry for my lack of response, the jet-lag's been killing me the last few days. As for coming up with threads like Old Tom, bring it on! Even something little like this gives me a huge amount to conceptually work with, that I don't have to come up with myself. (Just know that once you give me an idea, you'll have to live with it. ;-)

thirdkingdom
2012-07-26, 10:27 AM
Arian grinned at the old man's antics. Not that he condoned such debauchery, but it was refreshing to see someone so totally comfortable with themselves. "Well, Old One," Arian says, "I found a reference and drawing to this stone in a book I came across. Here, I made a drawing of it. Says here this stone overlooks thise very bay. From what I can tell, it might have had some religious or prophetical significance. While I am learned, excessively so, some would say, in certain fields of study, you are by far the foremost expert on the history, lore and legend of this city. So I come to you, a humble student before the master, seeking help."

Mr. X
2012-07-27, 12:27 AM
"Gah, one o' these days you'll figure out 'at all tha knowledge an' power in tha world still won't keep ye warm at night, ha!" He says as he takes your sketch.

"'Till then, let's see what Ol' Tom ken do for ye"

He squints his eyes, peering at the sketch, holding it first close to his nose, then far at arm's reach...

"Ya know, Arian, for all tha time you spend with a quill, I'd 'av figured ye for a better artist... By the look o' it, tho, I can't say I've ever seen anythin' like it, an' if'n it does overlook the bay, that's sayin' somethin'.

Ya know I always told ye, if'n ye ever found yourself a gurl, I could direct ye te any one o' about fourty-seven ideal spots that o'relook tha bay, (an 'bout twenty-six less ideal, but more secluded ones as wells). Tho, to be sure, you'd need to be sure to tell me which one ya picked, just so-as I wouldn'a pick the same on' by mistake, heh."

He sits back, pondering, and sipping his beer.

"... Now, I Figure this is one o' them 'magic stones', as with you it always is, an' it kinda puts me in mind o' Rogue's Point, an' Boat Breaker Rock..."

He strokes his beard thoughtfully.

"Hardly a romantic getaway, but there it is. 'Course ye know Rogue Point's the Northern point o' the bay. Boat Breaker Rock sits just a bit off the point, and is submerged at high tide... Only by a few feet tho', an' that's where it gets it's name...

He becomes grave.

"... 'lot o' ships an' a lot o' sailors met their ends comin' 'round that point in what looked like free an' clear waters...

'Course, that was a fair long time ago. It's on all tha charts now, so there's rarely any accidents. Still, a newer captain's gotta be careful whilst 'e learns tha waters.

Some strange stories to, 'round it... I met a old greybeard, said he nearly ran aground there once when 'e was just a lad...

It was low tide at the time, but the night was black as pitch. Without moon or stars to guide the ship, it was only by the sound o' the crashin' waves tha' they could tell the cliffs were near... They'd've run right into the rock, save that sudd'nly, a row of lights appeared on it, only jus' bright enough ta see, floatin' there like candles wit'out the candles...

Just in time too, 'e was able to get 'is ship to come about, and sailed on passed into tha bay, safe as can be... An' that weren't the only such story neither.

Now think what ya like, wizards are a loony bunch to be sure, an' certainly do their fair share of carousin' about in the wee hours. But the currents 'round that rock will take a boat an' smash it to bits if'n you're not careful, and ye gotta be damn near suicidal to try landin' on it at night... Still..."

He trails off, brooding over his beer.

OOC:
I forgot to mention, you should choose a speach color for Arian.

thirdkingdom
2012-07-27, 06:16 AM
"Still what, old-timer? You speak of wizards and this rock. Are there more tales that you know of regarding this widowmaker of a geologic anomaly? Would it be possible to walk out there during low tide? Surely some would have, if only foolhardy youths in the grips of Spike or Devil's Kiss*?"
*recreational drugs. If it is cool with you I prefer posting ad I have been with hus name in bold followed by any speech in quotes; I find the text color change slightly jarring

Mr. X
2012-07-27, 11:32 PM
"HA!" the old dwarf laughs. "Anyone in tha grips o' Spike or tha 'Kiss would either drown themselves, or get lost in the beauties o' tha bay long before they ever reached tha rock." he chuckles, sipping the next whiskey, "An I can't say I've heard o' any weepin' mothers who dinnean own sailors, cursin' tha place. As fer geography, boy ye gotta get ye head outta your books an' see the view once in a while!

The cliffs o're the Northen point are nigh on a hunnerd feet off the water, an' are a beutiful sight in their own right, and the Rock sits 'bout a quarter mile off the tip... Right where the ships wanna pass. It's natural, 's far as I know.

Ye'd need a boat ta get there, high tide or low, and depending when you left, you migh have anywheres between an hour an' three before the tides cover it again."

He scratches his head,

"What I was thinkin', was that it's tha only place where strange magics and such have happened more 'an once, so I figure it's prob'ly a decent wager to put your rock on it... 'can't make any guarantee tho', as I never had cause ta swim out there m'self."

No worries. I'll leave it off as well, till we get into the main thread, at least.

thirdkingdom
2012-07-28, 08:51 AM
Arian chats with Old Tom a bit longer then takes his leave of him before it gets too late and Tom gets too drunk. He gives Tom a gold piece for his help before leaving then going back to his apartment. When morning comes he looks into renting a boat and attempts to determine when low tide will occur.

Mr. X
2012-07-29, 02:33 PM
The day is grey and overcast when you emerge in the morning, the previous night's storm having blown itself out.

Making your way down to the waterfront, it takes you a little searching and discussions with a few of the sailors to get a good idea of what's available for what you're looking for.

The tides turn roughly every seven hours. It's High Tide now, it's expecte to be another two hours before it starts dropping.

Boat Breaker Rock is a well known landmark among the sailors, and all agree that it is visible above the water for about three hours between between the turning, appearing nearly at the deepest point of Low Tide, to be swiftly covered again as the tide starts to rise.

You can rent a boat for a day for about 50 silver, provided you can convince the owner that you have at least some experiance at sea

For 15 gold per hour, you can hire a boat and a pilot.

There are a few options for small craft:

Dinghy: A small rowboat. Good for moving in tight spaces, but slow, propelled only by your arms, and the whims of the waves. For an extra 2 gold, you can get one equipped with a small sail, which shall improve its overwater speed significantly.

Sloop: While still small, and easily managible by a single person, this boat is more of a proper ship, boasting a mast, keel, and two triangular sails. Fast as an arrow from a bow, and easy to maneuver to boot (provided you know how to work the sails), but relies utterly upon the wind for any motion at all.

Shark: For those with a taste for the exotic, an old ship's sorcerer offers to summon one of these creatures for you, and direct it to go where you like. His spell has a fairly extended duration, and should keep the creature docile for around an hour, perhaps a little more. The Speed and agility of the Shark outclass all other vehicles by several degrees... Though you would be in the water, riding a Shark.

The Dinghy and Shark don't require any prerequisite sailing skill to rent. For the Sloop, you'll need at least 1 rank in Profession(Sailor) for the owner to release it to you, though you can try to talk him into letting you go with a Bluff or Diplomacy check, DC 10.

Piloting the Dinghy and Sloop shall require a Profession(Sailor) check (which may be made Untrained, applying your Intelligance, Wisdom, or Dexterity bonus(Whichever is best).

Riding the Shark shall be a Ride check.

So, please choose your means of transportation, and make the appropriate negotiation and piloting checks.

For 10 copper, Wax sealed clay cases are available, which shall protect items (such as books and scrolls) from water damage.

thirdkingdom
2012-07-30, 05:23 AM
Arian decides at last to rent a dinghy and tries to time his departure to coincide with the coming of low tide. Not sure what to expect, he equips himself with his weaponry and scrolls, the tome, and a backpack with food and other necessaries before leaving.
Pilot Boat (1d20+3=16) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3630332/). Essentially, he is bringing along his gear.

Mr. X
2012-07-30, 01:21 PM
OOC:
Aww, you don't wanna ride the shark?? :-P

Also, do you pay the extra 2 gold to get the dinghy with the sail?

If not, also give me a Strength Check to see what kind of oarsman you are.

thirdkingdom
2012-07-30, 01:28 PM
[Spoiler]Sure, I'll take a sail.[/sblock]

Mr. X
2012-07-31, 02:20 AM
Casting off, you oar yourself out into the open water, and, with some difficulty, manage to drop the side board, and raise your sail.

The wind is brisk, but favorable, and the water, while not exactly calm, is not so choppy as to cause you any serious problems.

You set off at a good clip, and after about an hour you've crossed the greater portion of the bay. The cliffs at Rogue's Point loom up before you, and your ears are filled with the thunder of the waves smashing up upon them with increadible force...

About a quarter mile ahead, you see Boat Breaker Rock just beginning to breach the surface through the receding tide... With no sheltered point around it, the the waves smash over its jagged outcroppings with such a swift ebb and flow that your gut curls at the thought of trying to land there, and images of your small craft being swept in and smashed to splinters, fill your mind...

Regardless, the potential secrets that may be hidden here make the risk seem almost acceptable... Provided you live to discover them...

You can get about 50ft from the rock without the swirling waters catching hold of you...

If you wish, you may attempt your approach under sail with a Profession(Sailor) check.

Alternatively, you may stow your sail and attempt your approach by oar with a Strength or Dexterity (whichever is better) check.

If you have some other means of approach, feel free to employ it.

Good Luck

thirdkingdom
2012-07-31, 03:54 AM
Unnerved by the crashing waves and threatening rocks, Arian lowers the sails and attempts to scull the remaining distance to the rocks after muttering a quick prayer to some obscure deity.
Using Dex, casting Guidance for a total +4 modifier. 1d20+4=23 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3631560/)

Mr. X
2012-08-01, 09:41 PM
Gritting your teeth you heave at the oars, attempting to time your entry into the swirling tides at a calmer moment...

You make good progress, covering almost half the distance to the rock, when the strong current overcomes your port side, spinning you sideways, and an oncoming wave hits you broadside, nearly capsizing the small vessal, when a massive swell overtakes all, welling up beneath you, righting your boat, and engulfing the rock wholly...

With a sickening rush of water over rock, the swell dissipates, setting the dinghy almost gently upon the jagged outcrop, before running off completely, leaving you 'beached' upon the rock, safe, for now, as the tides recede further.

Sorry for the Delay, it's been something of a busy week.

Still, the dice gods smile upon you. You have reached the rock.

Please make a Fortitude Save, DC:9, to avoid vomiting from seasickness, and have a look around.

thirdkingdom
2012-08-02, 04:57 AM
Arian Demonbane
Getting out of the boat, Arian stretches, having just used a score of muscles in ways he had never dreamed of. Looking around, he casts a simple spell to aid him in his search.
1d20+5=19 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3634721/) and casting detect magic.

Mr. X
2012-08-03, 01:24 AM
The spray of the fierce surf pelts you, as you disembark and make your way slowely over the difficult ground, and look over the forsaken place... Covered in sea anenamies, starfish, and alge, the peak of the slippery rock is only a little larger than a one horse stable, and so uneaven that you cannot immagine an ordered cerimony ever taking place here, whatever Old Tom might have implied...

Still, after a short while, you note the slight prickle of latent magical energy, and your divination compels you to a specific stone off to the Northern edge.

The top portion of the stone has been cracked and broken off, leaving an almost smooth surface, upon which several markings have been chisled. You can make no sense of the markings at first, being but chips and chunks broken from the stone's surface, but then you recognize the pattern in one small collection as a constilation... Darius, the serpent slayer, it would appear... The rest of the markings, you would presume, are similar star positions, but your knowledge of the night sky is insufficient to say for certain.

Down at the base, you note a series of strange symbols scratched in to the surface of the stone... Arcane sigils, perhaps, or characters of some language you do not immediately recognize. A fair portion of it is covered by the alge, as well.

thirdkingdom
2012-08-03, 04:37 AM
Carefully scraping the algae and muck of the stone with one of his daggers, Arian examines the unfamiliar symbols.
Deciper Script check 1d20+12=19 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3636527/). If necessary comprehend languages and/or read magic

Mr. X
2012-08-04, 01:06 PM
Leaning in you work at scraping away the alge, when suddenly an electrical surge of power rips up your arm, causing you to seize and convulse as it crawls up your face and into your eyes...

... You see yourself standing upon the rock, gazing out to sea...

At first is seems as though the ocean is boiling... Swarms of dolphins, hippocampi, sharks, & fish of the sea flood towards the land, mad with fear, beaching to wriggle hopelessly or pushing through the reef, to be torn asunder in their terror.

The waters of the bay are swiftly rendered pink with their flesh & blood.

With a great heave, the tide draws out, fast and far, capsizing ships & leaving the barnacled docks of the port bare & somehow vulnerable; naked without the Sea to gird them.

Even the simple molluscs about your fleet seem to be fleeing, a sad sense of desperation in their painfully slow retreat.

It is then that the thing appears... Rising from the depths to blot out the sun, Wreathed in a rainbow of razor sharp coral, and stinking of mud & debris from the primordial depths, the creature is mountainous... It explodes from the depths, arcing it's sinuous body leagues across the sea, casting you in darkness as it sails overhead. Faceless, the forward end of the beast pulverizes the piers & docks like matchsticks, it's body still trailing over a league back into the ocean depths.

New horror strikes, as from the bulk of it's form, pinkish crinoid tendrils, each the width of a stout oak & easily a field in length, explode from the muck shrouded depths of it's bulk, shattering buildings & dragging horses, oxen, & screaming sailors into it's interior.

Your mind reals against the terror, searching for something that could be of use against such a serpant... A balista or trebuchet would be insignificant to it, and even the most powerful spells you've ever heard of might at best serve only as an irritation.

Suddenly, you see it's form convulse mightily, raining mud & small crustaceans upon you as it flexes it's massive bulk...

It is then that you know you are Doomed, for with a titanic effort, the beast pushes it's true form from the ocean floor, of which the monsterous serpent is but a single, segmented limb! Lungs the size of a great castle draw breath for the first time in countless millenia, & you lose consciousness within the devastating cacophony wrought by the god's voice, roused from eons of slumber...

... You waken slowely, water lapping on your face, and the spray of the surf almost gentle upon you. Your head is gashed badly where you struck a stone when you fell, but you are otherwise unhurt.

Looking out the port still stands, the devestation wrot by the thing you saw has not actually occurred.

thirdkingdom
2012-08-04, 02:07 PM
Shaking his head to clear his thoughts, Arian returns to the stone and begins a more careful examination.
I am assuming this occurred prior to the decipher script check and any spells cast, as per my last post. He is interested in examining the runes, the stone itself, and if finding nothing the rest of the rock itself. There has got to be a way into the dungeon from here.

Mr. X
2012-08-06, 02:42 AM
Some common knowledge: 'Darius the Serpentslayer' is typically depicted as a warrior standing over a large snake. The Snake's tail wrapped around one of his ankles, while he pins it's neck with his other foot, driving his sword downwards through it's head.

Attempting to clear your mind of the horrific vision, you return to the stone and attempt to decipher the inscription. At your prayer, you feel touch of the gods upon you, granting you understanding of the symbols meanings, and you attempt to sound them out...

"'Neath the Sperpentslayer's Star, forged in the Father's Fire... Molded by the gods to defeat the Old... The threat for whom no sacrifice was too great... Strike True, and even that which cannot die, may fall..."

As you finish speaking the words the inscription flares, and crumbles backwards into shards of broken stone and dust, revealing a small gap within the stone.

Inside, you find a crude iron brand, who's head is some bizzare, arcane symbol.

Suddenly, behind you, you hear the scrape and splash of something crawling towards you over the rocks... It's a man... He is naked, but for a oddly designed golden circlet upon his head, and sopping wet from the sea. Fat, and generally ugly to look upon. His eyes are large and watery, and feel as though they're set too far appart. His hair is thin, as though it were falling out in places, and uncomfortably long.

Crawling to his feet, he gapes at you stupidly for a moment, and you turn to see two more people crawling up the rock from opposite sides... Another man and a woman... Both of similar appearance and demeanor as the first.

Then the first speaks... As he moves, you are disturbed to see odd slits between the rolls of fat about his neck, and when he opens his mouth, you see that a number of his teeth have either broken or fallen out, to be replaced by short, needle sharp fangs...

His voice is a hollow croaking sound, like a toad, and it is only by the gods' blessing, still resting upon you, that you understand what he says...

"TAKE HIM!"

Please Roll Initiative.

Man 1:[roll0]
Man 2: [roll1]
Woman: [roll2]

The terrain is rocky and difficult to maneuver upon, and they are surrounding you in a sort of triangle formation.

OOC: Also, just FYI, you don't need to worry about finding 'The Stairs Down'. The dungeon shall be coming to you :-). Your placement in the story is a little more Sandbox style for now, but I expect events to line up correctly shortly (Though you and I are a little ahead of schedual, with relation to the main party, and I may eventually need to put you on hold for a little bit while I catch them up...).

Either way, that's neither here nor there.

If you have any questions, or anything you'd like me to clearify, with regards to the setting, city, clues you've recieved, or really anything, feel free to ask.

thirdkingdom
2012-08-06, 04:27 AM
Initiative1d20+3=10 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3640936/)
[spoiler]Taking ten on the appropriate Knowledge skill to identify, for a total of 20.[spoiler]
Outnumbered and likely outgunned, Arian follows a wild hunch. Quickly secreting the talisman in a pocket, he shouts "Halt, and do not attack, for I come in peace, O servants of the great Serpent! Long have I yearned to meet and palaver with its sage and puissant followers, so that I might gain the wisdom of the magnificent Snake that swallows the world and hence myself become a better slave to his will, before which all morals are not but tiny frogs and mice, mere h'orderves!"

Mr. X
2012-08-06, 07:37 PM
The crowned man pauses, holding up a hand to the others, he eyes you dumbly, walking slowely around you with an uneaven, waddling, almost hopping gait.

When he speaks this time, it is in Common, but his still croaks out, hoarse and frog-like...

"Slave... Human..." I croaks out hee-hawing laughter, but settles in front of you.

He trails an awful, pale long finger, wrinkled from the water, and slightly webbed near the knuckles, along your shoulders, and plucks out one of your hairs.

"Need sacrifice... Girl... Child bearer..." It points to the sky where, though it is only early afternoon, the moon is already starting to rise... "Bring here... Midnight... Black Moon..." it lolls it's head sideways, and twists your hair between it's fingers... "... Speak not... And Do not... Fail..."

With that the three turn and waddle down the rock and hop into the ocean, to be lost beneath the waves...

You've heard tales of bizzare fish-men that would attack ships, or sometimes sneak into a village to steal women away... But, when they were seen at all, they were never described as being so horribly human...

The best source described them as thusly:

"Their backs were blue-green, like the sea, witha spiked ridge, and huge, bulging fish eyes... Their bellies pale and soft, their posture bent and ape-like, their mouths filled with rows of needle spike teeth, with long arms which ended in horrid, clawed, fins which they would use to swim at great speeds beneath the water, or to take a man by his throat and choke the life out of him..."

The creatures have been witnessed so rarely that their existance is very much in doubt, and stories of them are largely attributed to madness or drunkenness... Of women who had simply run off, and of sailors who'd drunk too much seawater when disaster struck their ships...

Despite the dissimilarities, you cannot help but draw a connection between the stories and the things you just saw.

OOC:
Nice move!

Also, the brand is a little larger than a fireplace poker, though you can still easily secret it within your cloths. I should have been clearer about that, sorry.

thirdkingdom
2012-08-07, 04:37 AM
Once the horrid creatures leave the rock, Arian finishes his investigation, searching for anything else that might be a clue. He leafs through the book he found, comparing the drawing of the stone to the one he found, makes some drawings of his own, and prepares to head back to port.
Back at home he begins his research anew, searching for information on the serpent-slayer, this world snake and the deep one he encountered. He has no intention of returning with a sacrifice, and is only slightly troubled that the deep one has one of his hairs, a potent means of working magic to track him down. Later that evening Arian begins to cruise the taverns in search of a few bodyguards to hire for the night.
Being a little short on cash Arian will make promises of magical aid, such as healing, auguries, etc. in an attempt to persuade three or four first level fighter types to hang around for the night. He will try and play up the "protection from the forces of evil thing" a bit

thirdkingdom
2012-08-07, 05:29 PM
Sorry, I'll make some rolls for research.
Knowledge(religion): 1d20+10=25 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3643124/)
Knowledge(arcana):1d20+10=14 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3643125/)
Knowledge(geography): Takes 10 for a total of 13

Mr. X
2012-08-10, 02:17 AM
It is somewhat frustrating.

For how well known, and easily spotted, The Serpant Slayer is in the sky, his story is largely lost to time... Certainly, all sources claim he was a great hero, who slew a great sepent. Beyond that it's a little hard to say... Some stories say he had to embark on some great quest to acquire the sword that made the killing blow, while others claim he either forged it himself, or that the gods themselves forged it, and gave it to him... Most stories agree that he was blind at the time of the battle, some say the beast bit him in the fight, and put his eyes out, while still others claimed the beasr swallowed the woman he loved, and in the madness of his grief, he gouged them out himself that he might never forget her face...

Whatever the truth, each source you find has it's own, offensively incomplete, version of the story, all of which lack any body leading up to his act of killing the snake.

It's a significant problem that you've been running into of late. Written historical records dating more than five hundred years back are haphazardly accurate at the best of times, when they exist at all.

What records there are from around that time, indicate it was a period of ongoing war, all across the continent. Even since then, kingdoms have risen and fallen, and many writings been destroyed, so it stands to reason that much was lost.

Even Beluvah's great Archaive proved little better.

The tome you acquired, proves slightly more useful.

You are able find reference to the sigil on the brand within it... It's a spell... Of sorts... There is no gestures or incantations, simply the sigil itself, which apparently acts as an extremely potent ward... Powered by essence drained from whomever cast it.

Elsewise, the prophecies in the tome speak mostly in strings of profanities and blasphemies, and muttered hints of 'When the stars are right.'

Of the creatures need for a sacrifice at midnight on the Black Moon, which you presume to be the 'New Moon', you can make what you will.

The New Moon occurs in about 3 days.

Searching around for some likely muscle, you find a few guys whom you think you could persuade to follow you around...

The first is a younger man, loosing badly at dice.

The next is an older man asleep before the inn's fire. You have it on fairly good
Authority that it's been days since he last moved, but was a well known warrior in his day.

The last is a scrawny young man with shifty eyes. Clearly dead broke and desperate, you wouldn't want him in reach of your purse, and wouldn't be surprised to find him chewing up your carpet if you turned your back on him. None the less, the wicked knife he's playing with is something you're sure he'd be just as happy to stick into whomever you think is coming after you, as he would be to stick it into you.

Sorry I've neglected you the last couple of days, it's been something of a busy week. Also, I'm not sure if you're keeping up with the OOC thread, but I've posted some relevant setting material, and an opportunity to earn some bonus exp., if you are so interested.

thirdkingdom
2012-08-11, 06:06 AM
Ah, I had assumed he needed the sacrifice that night. So, that gives Arian some time to scrape some cash together. I don't know if you want to give me an exact amount or just rule he earns enough to hire the dudes; Algernon has mostly practical spells anyway, so he could probably make a pretty good mint casting augeries for gamblers, healing those with minor wounds, etc.
"Gentlemen!" Arian addresses the three shifty semi-sober sellswords, "Put down your goblets for the moment and hear my generous proposition! A few nights ago I was investigating some historical happenings I had read about when I came face to face with these monstrous mutated men-fish known as 'Deep Ones'! Outnumbered, and not nearly as skilled at arms as you gents, I had no choice but to rely on my formidably intellect and talk my way of a jam. The short end being that now I owe said foul fish-beings a virginal sacrifice three nights hence. Now, I am sure you good fellows would agree there is only one thing a virgin ought sacrifice, and it is not her life! Needless to say I am disincline to honor an agreement than I rightly believe null and void anyway, as it was made under no small duress! However, one of the loathsome gill-breathers managed to obtain a hair off my head, which I fear may be used to track me down if I renege on our bargain. Therefore, I seek protection from such puissant pugilists as yourselves! I can pay, and provide magical healing if needed, in addition to some other not so minor magics I have up my sleeve! What say you! Will you help me keep a virginal girl out of the hands of the deep so there is one more for us men of the land?!"

Mr. X
2012-08-12, 03:05 PM
The three nod thoughtfully as you present your offer, before the gambling man speaks up.

"...Well I'm all for keeping' a watch on tha ladies, mister, but see I gotta get some hard coin..." He looks around quickly, before leaning in conspiratorially.

"See, I'm in deep with mister Clovis, the loaner. Last night he comes in here and breaks my pinky, an' says he'll do worse if I don't come up with his goods by tamarrow night..." he holds up his left and, and displays the sickeningly bent finger. "An' I been workin' the table all night, an' only gotten deeper... But, seein' as we got you fine fellas rounded up, I might have an equal proposition for ya." He swigs his ale before continuing, "See mister Clovis keeps 'is stash locked up tight in a wherehouse down by the docks. 'e's got a couple o' guards, an some critters, like dogs, but worse 'an dogs, watchin' o're the place. To much heat for me to handle m'self, but with you lot, we could stand a chance."

He fiddles with his fingers hopefully, "An' I promise it'll be worth yer while, enuf 'at we could watch yer lady friend with both our pockets an' our bellies full."

thirdkingdom
2012-08-12, 07:14 PM
"Hmm. I am generally, or at least not as a rule, inclined to any larcenous or -- shall we say -- devious behavior, save when the pursuit of knowledge and not the glow of filthy lucre is the goal. This man of whom you speak, he is a dastardly sort, no, that deserves to be relieved of ill-gotten gains? This is an offer than will prove mutually beneficial to us all, and in the end allow me to further my goals? In fact, do the sages and wise men not speculate that 'the end justifies the means' and, in reality, my ultimate goal seems to involve saving the world from some monstrous, squiddish horror? Some gibbering blasphemy from the deeps?"
"I shall help you in return for your aid . . . we do it for the greater good, my friend, the greater good."

Mr. X
2012-08-12, 07:53 PM
The scrawny kid drums his fingers on the table, and clenches his jaw, clearly in the grips of some drug, or withdrawal from the same. He speaks with a ratty, hushed voice, his eyes always shifting over the corners of the room.

"Yea... Yea, I'll do it, I'm in."

The old man rouses himself from almost slumber. His long white beard swaying as he speaks in a rasping heave, though with finer speach than you might have expected...

"Aye, such an act cannot harm my fate worse than it already has been. Indeed, this man Clovis is well known about these parts, and is the blackest sort of individual... Perhaps in defeating him, some redemption might be found.

Barkeep!! My Armor!!"

A scullion boy scurried over, and helps the old man buckle on a well worn and dented breastplate, and an over sized sword.

I'll let you control the gambling man, or the old man, or both, as you like. I'll control the shifty kid and whichever of the other two you don't choose.

You'll have to ask their names if you want to know them.

The gambling man is a 2nd Lv Fighter. He's got a chain shirt, and a long sword on one hip, a dirk on the other. His feats are: Two Weapon fighting, weapon Focus(long sword), Quick Draw, and Run.

The Kid is a 2nd lv Rogue. He's wearing rags, and has a nasty looking knife.
His feats are: Weapon finesse, and Stealthy.

The Old Man is effectively a 3rd Lv fallen Paladin. He's wearing a breastplate, and wields a +1 Greatsword. His feats are: Power Attack, Improved Bull Rush, and Cleave.

You may roll stats for the one(s) you choose to control, or I can assign them all.

thirdkingdom
2012-08-12, 08:19 PM
I'll go with the kid, and it would be great if you could roll the stats and stuff like that.

Mr. X
2012-08-12, 09:21 PM
All yours. I expect you to role-play him appropriately ;-).

FYI: If you'd like to know more of your compatriots, feel free to ask. They've all got stories to tell.

His stats are as follows, take note:

Str: 12(+1)
Dex:17(+3)
Con:11
Int:8(-2)
Wis:14(+2)
Cha:7(-3)

BAB: +1
Attack Bonus: +4
Ranged: +4
Abilities: Sneak Attack+1d6, Evasion, Trapfinding
Saves: Fort: +0, Reflex:+3, Will: +2

Skills(30):
Tumble:5+3
Open Lock: 5+3
Climb: 5+1
Balance: 5+3
Move Silent:5+3+2(10)
Hide:5+3+2(10)

Dagger: 1d4+1

Feats:
Weapon Finesse: Dex bonus to melee
Stealthy: +2 to Hide/Move Silently

Mr. X
2012-08-12, 09:48 PM
Agreements made, the motly party leaves the tavern, and follows the gambler to the place he believes to be Mister Clovis' wherehouse.

Locked down tight, it stands a bit apart from the rest, with a barbed wire fence around it. Two guards stand at the front gate, one with a frighteningly bizarre dog-thing on a leash.

There is rickety watch tower off to the left, in which sits an archer. Another archer sits on the roof of the wherehouse, infront of the gate.

A quick circle of the place reveals two more guards on patrol around the wherehouse, one of them with another of the freakish dogs.

The Map:
http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x321/chaunceyparsons/Wherehouse.png

thirdkingdom
2012-08-13, 05:14 AM
can I get a little more detail about the place? Is it day or night currently? Is the warehouse surrounded by a solid fence or can it be seen through all the way around. Can someone sneak around the exterior of the fence (backside) without being seen? What buildings are nearby? Do either of the others have ranged weapons?

Mr. X
2012-08-13, 02:26 PM
If you go directly from the tavern, it will be night time. Though if you'd like to wait 'till moring, you could.

The fence surrounding it is a wide wire mesh. You can see through it all the way around, and the kid might even be able to squeeze through the gaps. The rest of you probably can't.

There are other buildings (mostly other wherehouses) surrounding the wherehouse, and while you have to take a long and winding route, you can circumnavigate the place without being seen.

thirdkingdom
2012-08-13, 02:47 PM
Cool. Would it be possible to wait till the following night? I'm thinking of buying some alchemical items (thunderstones, etc.) to create a diversion. My only issue is cash; I had kind of figured Arian would just be dumped into the dungeon and wouldn't really need any extra money. If it doesn't work to wait an extra day that's cool. I'm thinking it would be best to do it at night.

Mr. X
2012-08-13, 03:13 PM
yeah, sorry. I'm still way behind with the main party, so you get a side quest.

The following night is when Mr. Clovis is gonna come looking for the gambler, so he's probably not gonna want to wait that long.

It is not so late that you cannot find a shop, or someone you know who might hook you up, however, if you really need something.

If you need quick cash, a 1st Lv scroll will net you about 25 gold, and a 2nd Lv scoll nets about 150 gold, so if you scribe a couple of spells you've prepared today, but don't think you'll use, that should get you the gold you need.

Also, if you have any ranks in Alchemy, you could make what you need... Thunderstones are DC 25, so not the easiest thing... The d20srd has a list under Skills: Craft, if you want to take a look at it.

thirdkingdom
2012-08-13, 04:36 PM
Okay, I'd like to do the following:
1)Make a Knowledge: dungeoneering check to identify the dog-like things (since I'm assuming they are aberrations). 1d20+10=27 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3652078/) Using the archivist class Dark Knowledge feature with a DC 15 this identifies the creatures and gives all my allies a +2 bonus to attack rolls against dog-like creatures.
2)He will go ahead and scribe 2 second-level augury spells, earning 300 gold and crossing off two second level spells from his dailies.
3)Using the cash he will purchase 3 tanglefoot bags, 2 thunderstones, and 4 smokesticks, leaving 10 gold. He will give 3 tanglefoots, 2 thunderstones, and 3 smokesticks to the kid.

"Well, gentleman" Arian begins "I have appraised the situation and have the glimmerings of a plan that will enable us to gain access to this warehouse with what I hope will be a minimum of effort and, more importantly, bloodshed on either side. I have determined that what we need is a diversion, and to that end I have purchased a number of alchemical wonders that, while not magical, should serve to provide the diversion."
"This young gentleman here", he says, motioning towards the young thief, "will have perhaps the most important task tonight. I have entrusted him with the majority of the purchased goods for the sole purpose of sneaking around the back of this complex and, in rapid succession and with cunning accuracy, create a diversion so splendid that the guards have no choice but to leave their posts and investigate. I will be around the front, using my magic and missile fire to provide further cover, while the other two worthies will enter the main gate, stroll into the warehouse and abscond with whatever is necessary. I hope it will not come to bloodshed, but, if it does, we should all act accordingly."
"How say you all to my devious and, dare I say. ingenius, plan?"

Mr. X
2012-08-13, 06:19 PM
Huddling behind a wherehouse not far from your target, Your plan is met with dim nods of approval, and the kid licks his lips as you hand him the satchel of goodies.

"Yea, yea, heh... Ah kin do that."

The gambler draws his sword and dirk, and says "Yeah, let's do it. We're hurtin' a bad man, and gettin' a payday besides." He grins, "What more could ye ask for."

The old man unslings his greatsword wearily, and rasps "Take care all, no man fights as viciously as when his coin is threatened... We must try to avoid bloodshed, but it is unlikely that we shall succeed entirely in that endeavor."

With that, the party moves out to take up their appointed positions, and waits for the kid's signal.

A few minor notes that I neglected:

Gain 500exp for dealing with the deep ones.

Don't forget to pay the XP cost for scribing your scrolls. (1/25 base price, min 1.)

The Kid has 11hp, The Gambler has 15hp, and The Old Man has 16hp

The Gambler is True Neutral.

The Old man is Lawful Neutral

The Kid is Chaotic Evil. (You'll need to make a roll to see if he doesn't abscond with the goods you gave him, or wantonly slaughter anyone he traps with them.)

I'm away from my computer right now, so I can't update the map. Should be able to in about 2 hours. We can press on without it if you like though.

Go ahead and roll initiative for your guys. You'll have Surpirse for the first round. The Kid's at +3, the gambler is at +1, and the Old Man is at +0.

thirdkingdom
2012-08-13, 06:24 PM
Is Arian able to identify the dog things with a Knowledge 29 check?

Mr. X
2012-08-13, 06:38 PM
Oh yes, sorry.

The dog things are Barghests. Bizzare wolf/goblin hybrids known for ripping through their prey like a school of piranha.

Your Dark Knowledge bonus is in effect. Is it just +2 to attack, or is it +2 to attack AND damage?

thirdkingdom
2012-08-13, 06:47 PM
Just +2 to attack.

thirdkingdom
2012-08-13, 07:59 PM
The Kid, Rogue
Moving stealthily between crates and down alleys, the kid sneaks around to the back of the warehouse. With his bag of goodies at hand and a devilish grin, he draws out a thunderstone and lobs it at the guard with the dog.
[spoiler]Initiative:1d20+3=15 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3652487/)
Attack (5 or better):1d20+3=20 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3652488/)
His plan is to throw thunderstone, mostly to grab all of the guard's attention, followed by a smokestick at the pair followed by a tanglefoot. He will then ignore Arian's instructions and slip into the compound, causing as much death and havoc as possible.
When Arian and the others hear the thunderstone he will cast darkness from a scroll on the base of the guard tower to envelop the guard and all within range. Depending on what the guards at the gate and on the roof do he will either maintain position and keep watch with his crossbow or use magic to distract/impede the remaining guards. The other two dudes should act depending on how successful the initial distraction is.[/sblock]

Mr. X
2012-08-14, 02:02 AM
Tying the three items into a neet bunch, the kid lobs the whole through the fence, just behind the patrolling guard...

Around the front of the building, the thunderstone's blast echos off the walls of the surounding, jerking the relaxing guards out of their reverie. The howling of the dog things sends a shiver down your spine, as the guard holding its chain jerks it and holds it close, while the other guard runs off around the Eastern corner.

The Archer on the roof likewise dissapears...

A moment later The Gambler and the Old man burst from cover, charging the gate like trained soldiers...

Snapping to, the guard lets the dog off the leash and draws his sword, just in time for the old man to smash into him...

The Archer in the tower responds a hair faster, managing to loose an arrow before the two fighters close the distance...

The kid slips through the fence, and into the smoke. He knows where they are, and is not subject to the Miss Chance.

Initiatives:

At the gate:
Guard 1: [roll0]
Dog 1: [roll1]
Archer 2[roll2]

Behind the wherehouse:
Guard 4: [roll3] -4, (Total -1)
Dog 2: [roll4] -4, (Total 11)
Guard 3: [roll5]
Guard 2: [roll6]

Guard 4's Fortitude Save vs. Thunderstone, DC 15: [roll7]
Dog 2's Fortitude Save vs. Thunderstone, DC 15: [roll8]

Guard 4's Reflex Save vs. Tanglefoot, DC 15: [roll9]
Dog 2's Reflex Save vs. Tanglefoot, DC 15: [roll10]

Mr. X
2012-08-14, 02:24 AM
Ack, didn't finish my rolls

Gambler's Initiative: [roll0]
Old Man's Initiative: [roll1]

Archer Attacks Old Man: [roll2]
Damage: [roll3]

Old Man Charges Guard 1: [roll4]
Damage: [roll5] Non-Lethal

Gambler Charges Dog 1: [roll6]
Damage: [roll7]

The archer's arrow glances off the old man's breastplate, missing the gap in his armpit by only the barest measure, as he smashes the hilt of his greatsword into the guard's face, knocking him out cold.

The gambler slashes hard at the dog-thing, but the creature dances away out of reach...

OOC:
It's your turn. (give me and Initiative roll for Arian too, please.)

The Map:
http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x321/chaunceyparsons/Wherehouse-2.png

thirdkingdom
2012-08-14, 05:10 AM
Arian's init:1d20+3=17 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3653137/)
The kid's attack roll: 1d20+3=21 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3653138/)
Arian quickly casts darkness on the guard tower so that the apex of the shadowy sphere just reaches the top of the tower.
The kid, seeing another guard come running, tosses another thunderstone and smokes stick at the approaching figure.

Mr. X
2012-08-14, 02:44 PM
Combat Order:

Guard 2: 20
Archer 2: 18
Arian: 17
The Kid: 15
Dog 1: 14
Archer 1: 14
The Gambler: 12
The Old Man: 11
Dog 2: 11, Deafened, Slowed
Guard 3:10, Deafened
Guard 1: 3 KO
Guard 4: -1, Deafened, Stuck

Mr. X
2012-08-14, 03:20 PM
The gods are quick to answer your prayers, and the torches on the watchtower flicker and go out, consumed by the shadowy lumination...

Acting quickly, the archer within soon appears out of the shadow at the base of the tower, moving towards the wherehouse door, and nocking an arrow.

The gate guard who'd left his post, does a double take, trying to decide whether to continue around the back, or return to the obvious attackers at the front, and eventually decides to return...

Behind the wherehouse, the second guard races towards the cloud of smoke, only to have another thunderstone explode at his feet...

Guard 3's Fortitude Save vs. Thunderstone, DC 15: [roll0]

Arian, the darkness was your Surprise Round action. It's your turn again at 17.

The Kid's action, just taken, was his at 15.

The Map:
http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x321/chaunceyparsons/Wherehouse-3.png

thirdkingdom
2012-08-15, 04:00 AM
Cursing his luck that the plan had no gone more smoothly, Arian casts flaming sphere and directs it at the guards by the front gate, seeing the barghest as the greates target.
2d6 damage, Reflext for half: Flaming sphere (2d6=6) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3654906/)

Mr. X
2012-08-16, 03:36 AM
With a woosh, the sphere of flame flares into existance, searing the barghest, and casting a blazing light over the building's front.

The dog shies from the flames, and, with a sudden jerk of decision, leaps snarling upon the unconcious guard...

Claws rip and tear in a whirlwind of blood and gore, the creature's jaw dislocating to rip off and swallow nearly half the man's torso in a single bite, the rest soon to follow...

As the thing eats, it's body bulges and contorts... Muscles heave and swell, and the whole beast seems to inflate to a greater and more powerful stance...

I'm on my way to bed. Archer 1 holds his action, waiting for the smoke to clear. You can take actions for the Old Man and the Gambler while I sleep.

Both have Strength 16. The Gambler's AC is 14, and he's got 17 hp. The Old Man's AC is 16, and he's got 15 hp.

Gambler's attack bonus is +5, Old man's is +7, with a Longsword, and +1 Greatsword for damage, respectively.

The Old Man may take an Attack of Opportunity against the dog as it eats.

Mr. X
2012-08-17, 02:43 AM
The Old Man Slashes madly at the feeding dog, his massive blade biting deep into flesh and sinue. The dog shrieks after the first blow, and the second puts the beast down, just as the second gate guard returns, rushing the old man, and slashing at him hard with his longsword...

Moving faster than you would have given him credit for, the Old Man flinches away, and the guard manages to land only a glancing blow on his shoulder, cutting into the muscle, but not significantly.

The Gambler Rushes past, closing the distance to the archer, but not before he gets a shot off, planting an arrow deep in the man's shoulder... He staggers under the blow, but presses onwards towards his target.

Behind the building, the thick smoke masks the Kid fully, as easily dances around his confused opponents... One guard stuck and struggling against the goo, the other slashing wildly and hitting nothing but air... The dog, following it's nose more than its eyes, lunges hard and visciously fast... But the Kid is faster still, sliding around the beast as it passes...

Old Man Attacks Dog 1:
Power Attack +3
OOA: [roll0]
Damage:[roll1]
Attack: [roll2]
Damage[roll3]

Gambler Double Moves to Archer 2.

Behind the Building:

Dog 2 Attack vs. Kid:
Attack: [roll4]
-If hit, take Damage: [roll5], and resist grapple: [roll6]
MissChance%, >50 hits: [roll7]

Guard 3 Attack vs. Kid:
Attack: [roll8]
Damage:[roll9]
MissChance%: >50 hits: [roll10]

Guard 4 is stuck.

Top of the Round

Guard 2 Charges Old Man(+2 attack, -2 AC):
Attack: [roll11]
Damage:[roll12]

Archer 2 Attack vs. Gambler:
Attack:[roll13]
Damage:[roll14]

It's Arian's turn at 17.

The Map:
http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x321/chaunceyparsons/Wherehouse-4.png

thirdkingdom
2012-08-17, 04:53 AM
The Kid
The dog beast lands a blow and immediately bears down on the kid, grappling with him.
Grapple check: 1d20=12 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3657603/). I'm not sure how grapple works.
Arian Demonbane. Archivist
Arian directs the ball of fire once more to roll into the barghest.
2d6=5 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3657609/) Damage

thirdkingdom
2012-08-17, 07:38 AM
I believe directing the sphere is a move action. May Arian also fire his crossbow?

Mr. X
2012-08-17, 11:17 AM
Ahh, sorry, I should have been clearer.

Despite it's amazing attack roll, The dog misses the kid because it rolled under a 50 on its percentile.

The dog Arian can see is already dead, Killed by the old man. (I forgot to cross him off the Combat Order. Fixed now.)

And yes, Moving the Sphere is a Move Action, so you can shoot too.

thirdkingdom
2012-08-17, 08:08 PM
Cursing even more loudly, Arian directs the sphere of fire into the guard assaulting the Old Man and fires a crossbow bolt at the archer attacking the Gambler.
Sphere:2d6=6 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3658422/)Crossbow: 1d20+6=15, 1d8+1=3 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3658426/)
The Kid
Laughing wildly, the Kid throws down his remaining tanglefoot bag at the barghest's feet.
1d20+4=19 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3658429/)

Mr. X
2012-08-19, 07:33 PM
Aiming through the fence, you loose a bolt at the archer as the Gambler closes on him, hitting him hard in the shoulder and punching clean through his leather armor, and hear only as an afterthought the guard's shreik as the flaming sphere rolls onto him.

The Old Man seizes the moment as the guard flees the flames, and cracks him hard across the back of the head with the flat of his blade, puting him down hard...

The Gambler closes fast on the archer, fliping his sword back hand, smashing him in the face with the pommel, and knocking him back off his feet, following up quickling spinning the sword back around, and putting the point agains his throat...

"Yield."

Behind the building, the tanglefoot pins the dog whining into place.

The kid's maniacal laughter gives the archer some idea of a targer, and he looses an arrow into the cloud of smoke, even as the other guards slash wildly and struggle against their bonds, but neither attack manages to connect with the kid as he spins invisibly away, slipping his long rusted knife into his hand.

Old Man Attack vs. Guard 2:
Power Attack +3
Attack:[roll0]
Damage:[roll1]

Gambler Attack vs. Archer 2:
Attack: [roll2]
Damage: [roll3]

Behind the wherehouse:

Guard 4 Strength vs. Tanglefoot, DC, 17:
Strength Check: [roll4]

Guard 3 Attack vs. the Kid:
Attack: [roll5]
Damage:[roll6]
MissChance%, >50 Hits: [roll7]

Archer 1 Attack vs. the Kid:
Attack: [roll8]
Damage:[roll9]
MissChance%, >50 Hits: [roll10]

Several moments later, the kid appears from behind the building, splattered with blood, and smiling satisfactorily.

I'm calling the rear fight a foregone conclusion so we can move on. You had them all on their knees.

thirdkingdom
2012-08-21, 04:35 PM
Making sure he is not in harm's way, Arian casts a summoning spell, calling a giant owl named Sirrus that he has had occasion to work with in the past, and instructs it to keep the archer on the roof occupied, preferably without hurting him.
Cast Summon Monster I, duration 4 rounds. Not sure if there are any remaining guards in the front. If so, he directs the flaming sphere into him, doing a whole 2d6=2 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3663783/) hp. He also draws his crossbow, keeping an eye out for suprises, and directs the others to go inside and get what they need.Just out of curiosity, what levels are the other PCs?

Mr. X
2012-08-21, 04:56 PM
Sirrus returns in short order, informing you that the archer on the roof is dead, a rusted knife planted in his forehead. The two guards and the dog behind the building are likewise dead, dispatched in gruesome manner...

You note that the Kid has a new knife, a steel dirk, and wears a padded leather jerkin, doubtless taken from one of the fallen guards.

As the situation stands, the area is clear. The archer has yeilded, and is wounded but conscious. The guard who returned is face down and unconscious, but alive.

The rest are dead.

Moving forwards, you form up around the door, and the Gambler moves in... Only to be thrown back several feet onto his back, a massive bolt sprouting from his chest in an explosion of blood, as you hear the growl and snarl of dogs within being released.

The Gambler takes 20 damage from the Balista, and is at -6hp and falling.

Officially, the Gambler and the Kid are Level 2, and the Old Man is Level 3(minus all his paladin powers.) The kid got a little leeway back there since you so thuroughly disabled everyone, I just gave him coup de gras'.

thirdkingdom
2012-08-21, 06:45 PM
Arian quickly throws his remaining smokestick in through the open door and readies his crossbow, standing back a good 20'. He motions for the Kid and the Old Man to flank either side of the door.
Smokestick:1d20+5=22 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3664001/)
Edit:still throwing the smokestick, casting cure light wounds for 1d8+4=6 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3665221/) on the Gambler. Just realized there's little point in being here if the Gambler dies. Next round attempt to drag him out of harm's way for now

Mr. X
2012-08-23, 01:54 AM
Good Move. Note, however, that curing him shall do more damage than good while he has the massive bolt stuck in his chest.

You'll need to remove the bolt (Heal check DC 15), before any magical healing can have any Truely beneficial effect.

(You could close the wound around the bolt, but it would make later removal nearly impossible, and infection and such would likely result in his death regardless... Though all this does not remove the option.)

thirdkingdom
2012-08-23, 04:11 AM
Heal Check: 1d20+5=24 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3665700/)
Is this a houserule? Makes sense and I like it, just never ran across it before.

Mr. X
2012-08-23, 10:10 AM
Yeah, I guess it is. It's how I always run things, just because, while magical healing and closing if wounds is great, I don't think it should also remove foreign objects like arrows or bolts. Similarly, broken bones must be set properly, or they shall heal in grotesque and unusable manners.

That and I always liked the imagery of having to punch an arrow through in order to remove it, or snap a bone back into place, before the wound could be stitched up or cauterized.

To that end, would you like to give a description as to how you remove the bolt while under fire, and likely continuing assault?

The other rule I like, and this one has no real game effect, regards scarring.
Essentially, any time you take 10% or more of your HP in damage in a single hit, it shall leave an appropriately hideous scar, regardless of healing methods used.
(The idea being that healing magic vastly accelerates the natural healing process, rather than simply erasing damage.)

thirdkingdom
2012-08-23, 10:56 AM
Okay, based on the result of Arian's Heal check, how long will it take to pull out the shaft? This new knowledge could significantly alter my order of operations: he essentially has three more rounds to live, correct?

Mr. X
2012-08-23, 11:57 AM
Essentially, yes. You may make the Heal check as a full-round action, but doing so shall deal an additional 3 points of damage, and leave you with bare moments to get your spell off before he dies... It may be your only option, however, as he will bleed out in the time required for any other, less violent, approach, not to mention the coming dogs.

It can be done, however.

thirdkingdom
2012-08-23, 12:38 PM
Actually, no. He's pretty much dead. Arian already attacked (smokestick) and moved (dragged him out of the way -- this action may change). He can only take a full-round action next round, by which time dude is at -7 (- additional 3 for heal, for.-10). He can only CLW the following round, which only heals 6 hp based on previous roll. Since the Gambler is the reason they are here, Arian is inclined to cut their losses and raise the cash needed to flat out pay the dudes by scribing spells, which he probably should have done in the first place. BTW, ACKS incorporates scarring in their mortality table, used when a character is reduced to 0 or lower.

Mr. X
2012-08-23, 02:33 PM
Meh... The smokestick is such a minor action, I'll let you toss it as a swift action in this case. You really don't need to line up a shot, like you would need to for a bow or crossbow.

Re: Mortality Table, that's cool, I hadn't seen that before. Use Whichever method you like.

Mr. X
2012-08-25, 12:13 PM
Of course, at this point, all the dramatic tension of having him bleeding out while you desperately try to save his life while rabid dogs try to rip your other companions to pieces has largely been lost, so go ahead and just give me a description of healing him, and we'll get on with it.

thirdkingdom
2012-08-25, 12:58 PM
Dragging the Gambler as far out of the way as possible, Arian swiftly cuts the shaft of the bolt just above where it protrudes from his chest, rolls him onto his side and pulls the rest of the shaft out through his back, immediately casting a healing spell to close the wounds.
My bad, I thought I had posted and was waiting for you. The only issue I can see with this house-rule is that it essentially relies on GM fiat, since there are no rules on whether or not an arrow remains in the body or passes clean through. Likewise, since there are no real rules for bone breakage or organ failure it relies on the GM to make a call (in other words, once I learned about the need to make a Heal check, the potential damage it would cause to the victim, my character's additional exposure to danger, etc. I was very tempted to say screw it and not even bother, the dude's dead.
That's fine, depending on the playstyle you want. I mean, I'm used to B/X and retroclones, where you're dead at 0 hp, healing magic is rare and character death is common. Because of that, though, I have a slightly less "heroic" take on things. Since, especially at higher levels, hp are largely an amalgamation of several different factors and not simply a meaurement of the actual amount of physical damage a target can take, this, and your houserule on scarring, can break down. I would argue it is much more effective across the board to rule that any time a character is reduced to some negative hp value they are scarred, and not base it off a percentage of hp. But, that's just my way of thinking. man, that went on way longer than intended

Mr. X
2012-08-28, 12:48 AM
You drag the gambler away as two dogs explode from the wafting smoke... The kid and the old man are well prepared, however, and both land solid blows and put the beasts down in short order in the following moments...

It takes a fair number of prayers, to several different deities, to stabalize the gambler, but after a moment, his eyes flutter open and he struggles to his feet...

From inside the warehouse, you here a weaselish squeal...

"Hey!! You have any idea who yer messing with!? You come in here, yer dead already! The Boss don't take kindly to gettin' ripped off!! Ya leave now, maybe I'll tell 'im the dogs got hungry! Elsewise, ye best make peace wit yer gods! Ye won't have another chance!!"

Again, my appologies for the delay

thirdkingdom
2012-08-28, 04:50 AM
"Your friends are all dead, I am afraid, man and dog both." Arian calls back. "Come out with your hands up and we'll let you walk out of here! You're surrounded by ten men and there is no hope of escape!"

Mr. X
2012-08-28, 11:13 AM
"Yeah? And then what!? You think 'e'll let me live after walkin' out on 'im any more'an 'e'll let you?! HA!"

The man is frantically scared...

As he speaks, the gambler chokes out,

"That's 'im, heh, that's mister Clovis..."

A moment later, you hear a sharp *twang* from within the warehouse, followed by a heavy thump.

thirdkingdom
2012-08-28, 11:27 AM
"Yeah? And then what!? You think 'e'll let me live after walkin' out on 'im any more'an 'e'll let you?! HA!"

The man is frantically scared...

As he speaks, the gambler chokes out,

"That's 'im, heh, that's mister Clovis..."

A moment later, you hear a sharp *twang* from within the warehouse, followed by a heavy thump.
Sorry, I'm way lost. Who is Mr
Clovis? Guy in the warehouse or is guy in warehouse referring to Mr. Clovis? Did dude just commit suicide by crossbow?

Mr. X
2012-08-28, 11:43 AM
Ahh, sorry. Apparently Mr. Clovis (The guy to whom the gambler owes money, and who broke his pinky) was the guy inside, and yes, it sounds as though he just killed himself...

You don't know who this Boss person he was ranting about is, but it does leave you wondering what it is you just bit into.

thirdkingdom
2012-08-28, 12:02 PM
Great. In addition to drawing the attention of the piscene abominations and their squiddish God, Arian has also managed to entangle himself with the local Don Linguine.
"Sounds like your debt was just cancelled, my friend. Shall we go inside and salvage what we can before this goes further south. Kid, would you mind checking for traps so we can avoid being skewered?" Arian follows the others in, crossbow at the ready.
Arian will attempt to steal a furtive conversation with the Old Man and warn him to keep an eye on the Kid.

Mr. X
2012-08-28, 08:01 PM
Yeah, it's been a busy day. Don't forget, your disappearance from the temple Archaive likely raised a few eyebrows, and if they ever discover that you stole from them, you'll likely have the greater portion of the local clergy coming after you too. :-D

Not bad for a day's work.

The interior of the warehouse reveals Mr. Clovis' body laying in a spreading pool of blood, next to a heavy ballista that is loaded and aimed at the door. An empty crossbow lies near his hand, and the feathered end of a bolt protrudes from beneath his chin.

"Ye can burn in the fiery pits, ya bastard." The gambler says, and gives the body a sharp kick.

"I wasn't expectin' him ta be here... Must've been somethin' important comin' through. Let's get 'is stash an clear out 'fore someone else shows up."

Numerous rows of crates, barrels, and boxes fill the greater space of the warehouse, but after some little searching, you come upon a strong box tucked in a back office.

The Kid finds an old sledge hammer somewhere, and with it, the Gambler smashess the lock with a few well placed blows

Within you find numerous sacks filled with several thousand pieces of gold, and silver. Most bear the stamp of Beluvah's Coucil of Elders, but many bear the face of Timaril's Patriarch, Great Gate's King, and even a sack marked with Last Port's merchant circle. A smattering of jewelry and precious stones top off the find.

The eyes of your companions gleam hungrily at the find

When you get around to counting it out, and getting the odd bits appraised, all told you've found about 26,000 gold pieces... Which is rather a fair bit more than you expected to find.

thirdkingdom
2012-08-29, 10:49 AM
[Spoiler]Does the above post mean we are able to transport the loot and have left the warehouse already? [/sblock]

Mr. X
2012-08-29, 10:55 AM
It's heavy, and will take more than one of you to carry it all, but yes, you may leave when reay.

thirdkingdom
2012-08-29, 11:32 AM
Leaving the warehouse, Arian suggests the four retire to one of the many inns that cater to those of questionable morals and charge for rooms by the hour. Once safetly ensconsed in a private room, he turns to the others:
"Well, gentleman, this has proven to be a lucrative, if not all together smooth, venture. I propose we divide the valuable four ways betwixt ourselves. At a guess, that leaves each of us around 6500 gold, more than enough to live comfortable on for a lifetime."

"Alas, for men like us who seek more than comfort, we can never be satisfied by what we have, there always being more down the road. So, this brings us now to my end of the mission, and why I approached you gentlemen in the first place. Kid," he says, looking at the youngster, "We all appreciate your help and . . . the vigor which with you approached your part in this, but I am afraid that what I have requires a bit more subtlety than you are capable of showing. Please, take your earnings and go forth a richer man!"

Once the Kid has gone, Arian turns to the other two, "I could not trust him, to say truth. He had a gleam in his eye that to me spoke of murder and mayham, and could not, I fear, be restrained. What of the differing provence of the coins we found? Do either of you know where the coin came from? Does it matter?"

"I would like to begin plotting the next stage in this plan, to defeat the piscene troglodytes that I fear are stalking me. Do as you may this evening, but let us meet again 'pon the morning. Sir Gambler, I shall gladly heal your wounds at that time."

Arian will return to his apartments via a twisted and laborious route to throw off any pursuers.

Mr. X
2012-09-01, 12:23 PM
Wealthier now than they could have dreampt this morning, the party goes their separate ways. The Kid off into the unknown, the gambler and the old man to be met at an appointed location on the morrow.

Your arduous route home proves thankfully uneventful, and you slip into your sheets a rich man, but you cannot help but feel as though you are waiting for the hammar to fall.

None the less, the evening hours tick by without incident, and the morning finds you a bit groggy, but sufficiently rested.

Sorry for the delay, I'm just starting back to work, and have been a bit bushwhacked the last few days. My posting shall likely be a bit spuradic over the next week as I get back into the swing if things, but I'll keep up with you as best I can.

In other news, gain 1250xp for your successful robbery.

The cities the coins originated from are mostly major trade cities on the continent. Here's the continental map, and brief descriptions of the major cities (It is somewhat incomplete, as the setting is sort of a work in progress, but this should give you the gist of things.)

Continental Map:

http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x321/chaunceyparsons/ContinentalTradeRoutes.jpg

City descriptions:

A Brief Explanation of Politics, Cities, and Geography

Most cities are Independent City States, each ruled in their own fashion, be it Ruling Class, Royal Family, Republic, Theocracy, or any combination of the above.

Massive stone edifices litter the continent, built by peoples long lost to the mists of history, for purposes unknown. Most cities have grown around these cyclopean structures and fortresses, as they provide easy fortification, and sit in idealy provisional lands.

Timaril, centrally located, is the largest city on the continent. It's people are a wide variety of races, but the predominent population is human. It calls itself a Republic, but is truly controlled by the wealthy upper classes. It is rife with crime and political intrigue, and it's population numbers in the millions of souls.

Beluvah has been a religious center since anyone can remember, and is governed by the council of Religious Leaders. It's great temples the goal of many a pilgrim on their way to pay hommage to their chosen gods. It stays apart, at least publicly, from most intercity politics.

Star Spire is named for the impossibly tall iron spire that sits at it's center, reaching high into the heavens. The spire was ancient when people first settled around it, and, like the other great structures, continues to be a mystery to any who would seek to understand its origin. The Land around it is high and rocky plateaus and mountains, reaching east to the cost, and south to the Red Canyon, through which the river flows from Clear Water Lake.

Great Gate is the oldest human city on the continent, and generally believed to be where all humans originally came from. It is ruled by a King.

The Ancient's Way is an incredibly massive stone bridge that connects the Northern Reaches to the Mainland. 26 miles long, and wide enough for a thousand men to march abreast, it's construction is far beyond contemporary means.

Citidel is a ancient fortress sitting at the base of the Ancient's Way. Now, it has grown into a hard trading comunity through which all action between the North and the Mainland must pass.

Loc'Nethal is the city of Elves, burried deep in the southern forrests. Very little is know about it, but the Elves are becoming increasingly territorial as expanding outposts encroach into their lands.

Black Harbor is the slavers' outpost, where those captured and kidnapped are rounded up to be shipped out to their buyers. Many cities condone slavery, many others do not.

Deep Mote grew up over an expansive network of mines in the northern mountains.

thirdkingdom
2012-09-02, 10:02 AM
Arian begins his day as always does, with the slightly boring and repetitive ceremonies that allow him to cast his spells. Buoyed by his new wealth, he goes in search of any new spell scrolls he can find. Impressed with the wonders of alchemy, he also purchases some tanglefoot bags and suchlike.
Ah. So the fact that the coins come from different regions does not necessarily mean anything. Also, what is the deal with purchasing scrolls. Can Arian begin learning some of the spells he has in scroll form?

Mr. X
2012-09-02, 11:46 AM
Regarding the coins, and their origins, it doesn't mean anything specific, other than whomever they belonged to got around a fair bit, or else has a very long reach.

The basic alchemical implements are easy to come by... (Tanglefoot, smoke sticks, sun rods, etc.). Alchemist's Fire is rarer, but you can get it. (not more than 2 or 3 flasks).

Magic Scrolls are a little more closely guarded. 0-1st level scrolls are widely available, but anything higher than that, you'll need to know or bribe some higher level priest to acquire. (i.e. triple the listed price., no available spells above 3rd level.)

You may scribe and learn any scroll you possess at any time.

thirdkingdom
2012-09-04, 04:30 AM
Sorry, but one more question. How about the purchase of magical items other than scrolls?

Mr. X
2012-09-04, 10:38 AM
Similarly, basic magical items and potions are fairly available (0-1st level spells and similar effects only). Enchanted weapons and armor are rarer, and must be made by special request. There are only a handful of smiths and wizard's who serve the market capable of enchanting anything over a +1 effect, and they are back ordered for several years to come... Though an appropriate donation might bump your order to the top of the list (again, triple the listed price if you want something done quickly. +1 weapons and armor are available for their listed price.).

thirdkingdom
2012-09-05, 07:08 PM
Sorry for the slow response time. I've been getting a game of my own started, and now that I'm done with all the recruitment it shouldn't take as much time. Anyway, change of plans. I'm thinking Arian is going to try and find the biggest, baddest female warrior he can, offer her 1,000 gold for one night's worth of work. Then he will hire a skiff, Arian, the Gambler, the Old Man and Xena will row out to the island, with Xena disquised as a "virginal sacrifice". Deep Ones come out of the water, go to take the babe, hilarity ensues. So, I'm thinking try and find something like a badass femal monk. If money doesn't appeal to the "fighting evil" end of things.

Arian also purchases some additional scrolls with 2 each of Charm Person, Protection from Evil, Protection from Chaos, Jump, and Create Water. The rest of the cash, depending on how much is needed to hire Xena, he will give to the Gambler and the Old Man as a bonus.

Mr. X
2012-09-05, 09:43 PM
Ooooh... Clever. Give me a diplomacy roll, or a Knowledge(local) roll, whichever is better. Let's see what you can come up with.

Also know worries about the delay, I understand completely.

thirdkingdom
2012-09-06, 04:48 AM
With a Knowledge, Local result of 1d20+4=13 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3684109/), Arian will supplement his efforts by liberally spending money. He is willing to spend up to 150 gp making inquiries, paying bribes, etc. in order find the biggest, baddest lady warrior or monk he can

thirdkingdom
2012-09-06, 03:19 PM
With his ill gotten loot Arian will also purchase flimsy lace undergarments for his lady monk, knowing full well that a plan involving a damsel in distress has no chance of succeeding unless said damsel is clad in the clingiest, smallest and most erotic underwear imaginable, the kind, in fact, that leaves nothing to the imagination. Those blasphemous inbred fish men won't know what to do. Oh, and if novelty handcuffs are available he'll take a set of those as well.

Mr. X
2012-09-09, 01:59 AM
Your well appointed bribes and sources lead you to a singular name in the search for your virgin sacrifice... Helga the Destroyer.

She is a prostitute, of sorts...

They say she'll take your seed and make it strong...

They say she is as likely to take your life as she is your coin (though she'll take your coin first)...

They say she once tore the arms off a customer in her passions...

They say she has 37 children of fighting age, all renowned warriors in their own rights...

They say her children reach fighting age at the age of 6...

They say her 14th child was refused service at a tavern when he reached fighting age...

They say that that tavern burned to the ground, and that no one within escaped the conflagration...

They say no one within was left alive to try...

Of her, her patronage says "Use at your peril"...

She is only accessible by special, and expensive, appointment (about 10 gold).

You've managed to acquire an appointment with this formidable personage, and are on your way to the appointed brothel... You can almost hear Old Tom hacking with laughter, and congratulating you for your courage... It's definitely for the best that you did not inform him of this particular meeting.

You've little doubt that your coin should prove sufficient to acquire her 'services', such as they are... You are admittedly a little less certain about how she shall respond to the regalia you've picked out for her, but you'll take one problem at a time.

As you walk towards the appointed location, you note that the world becomes oddly silent... Birds stop chirping, the breeze dies down, and horses stand still... It's as if for a moment, all creation balanced on a knife's edge...

... And then it falls...

A deep rumbling sounds from somewhere. The horses panic, the birds take flight, and the world heaves beneath you, as though a great ripple rolled through the entire city.

Your knees turn to water beneath you, and you fall to the ground reeling as the quake rocks the city...

All around you buildings crumble and collapse, and the air is filled with the screams of the panicked and the dying... Time seems to slow as, with terrible inevitability, a towering structure off to your left buckles and falls towards you...

Please give me a reflex save, or a Spellcraft roll if it's better.

thirdkingdom
2012-09-09, 04:39 AM
1d20=10 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3688027/)+ 10 for Spellcraft

Mr. X
2012-09-11, 01:59 AM
As the tower topples over onto you, you catch sight of an open window, and almost casually step forwards into it... Suddenly you are inside a high room, askew and odd, crushing and crumbling all around you, another window falling towards you...

... Another step and you are outside again, standing unscathed amidst the settling rubble.

Dazed, you look around at the scene of devastation... Fires have ignited and burn out of control all around you. Survivors scramble this way and that, shouting and screaming in panic, trying to help others, or simply running in circles, maddened by the catastrophe...

As you turn, you realize you're standing in the shade...

... Sillouetted against the blazing sun, A tower has appeared in the middle of the city...

Erupting up from the earth, it reaches over a thousand feet into the sky, dwarfing the tallest steeple of the Great Temple...

... Then, it bends...

It's pinnacle curls over like a man stooping, and... Peels open?

Sections peel away like you might unfurl your fingers from a fist, it's maw opens as it dives slowely and inexorably back into the earth, swallowing a greater portion of the market district, it's bulk crushing buildings and bistandards alike as it slithers back into the earth, only to breach again nearly a mile further on, before it's end has even appeared from its first eruption...

... A creature... Your mind gives way at the sight... No story or history has ever spoken of such a thing... To call it a wyrm or even the greatest dragon to ever live would be nothing short demeaning to the thing...

Suddenly, a blast of intense heat blows past you, and you come to your senses enough to recognize the blazing body as a spirit of flame given form...

Looking up, the air is thick with them, spiraling in swarms from the very Sun itself...

And then you see her...

Far away, Standing high atop the pinnacle of the Holy of Holies... The High Priestess...

... Black of skin and silver of hair, though you've never seen her, you recognize her immediately... No one the world has ever known has been as close to the gods as she... Raised from the slave pits of Black Harbor centuries ago, they say she was chosen by the gods, and truly is their prophet upon this earth...

Her white robe billows in the wind, a long, ornate censer dangling from her hand, she makes a wide gesture... And the countless flaming spirits dive at her command, smashing into the blasphemous worm-thing with such force and power that, were the city around it not already destroyed, doubtless it would be nearly leveled merely by the collateral blasts...

Rearing up and rolling over, crushing miles of businesses and neighborhoods, hundreds of the Elementals, and gods only know how many people, the Worm does not even appear to notice the onslaught.

The High Priestess raises her hand, and it's as if you can feel the heavens themselves opening up...

... Then nothing...

... You can see nothing but white light... You can hear nothing but a high pitched ringing...

... Slowely you come to... You are on the ground, where you must have fallen, but you don't remember doing so... Blood runs down your arms and from your ears, as you gather yourself...

Whatever the Priestess did, got the thing's attention. As you look up, you see it arching like a snake over her tower... She covers her face against it, just before it plunges down upon her, swallowing the tower completely, and snuffing out the brightest light this world had to offer...

Suddenly, the thing convulses, and a powerful concussion bursts inside it, forcing open its maw in an explosion of purplish smoke and fire...

... It's not enough... The thing shakes itself, and dives back into the earth... Driven off, perhaps, for the nonce...

The purplish smoke from the Priestess' final blow clouds the sky, and debris from the blast rain all around you...

A metallic rattle of one of the falling objects catches your attention, and you look to see the Priestess' censer rolling back and forth, a wisp of purplish smoke still curling out of it...

Take 10 damage from various sources in that scene.

thirdkingdom
2012-09-11, 07:54 AM
Arian snatches up the censer, then dashes back to his apartment to gather some things, all thoughts of Helga and the Deep Ones driven from his mind by the sheer awesomeness of what he has just witnessed, along with the prospect of exploring its lair.

thirdkingdom
2012-09-12, 06:21 AM
All caught up with the main thread. Tell me, did the cthonic worm bear any resemblence to the serpent Arian witnessed in his vision? Also, I had forgotten to mention Arian was going to look through his stolen tome for any references to the strange ikon he found on the island. If the Old Man or the gambler wish to accompany him, fine, otherwise this is much more interesting, at least for the moment.

Fully equipped, stolen tome in his pack, torch in one hand and crossbow in the other, Arian steps into the tunnel.

Mr. X
2012-09-12, 09:10 PM
My, you are up on your Lovecraft, aren't you. Strictly speaking, the inspiration for this worm was a Dhole ('Command Dhole' was the ritual the goblins were casting when the main party walked in on them), but take it as you will.

The worm was not the thing from your vision, and athough seeing it live had an almost greater impact, it was only a mere fraction of the size of the thing from your vision, and was a singular creature, where as the serpant from your vision was not actually a serpant, but a singular appendage of a far greater and far more horrifying entity.

You were going to meet the Old Man and the Gambler later on, but at this juncture, you don't know where they are, or even if they still live.

The book does hold reference to the icon on the brand that you found. And, since you're up on your Mythos, I'll just give it to you. It's essentially an Elder Sign. Though hints on the rock and suggestions in the book give the impression that the brand IS the Serpent Slayer's Sword.

Catching up the censer's chain, you are shocked to feel power course up your arm, filling you to the brim with arcane potential...

... Instinctively, you understand completely what it is you hold... The censer contains the Last Spark, the Eternal Flame... Saved from when the gods brought the fire of magic down from the heavens to be spread the world over, this censer contains the last glimmering spark of that purest of flames, a true piece of that greatest of blessings ever bestowed upon the world...

As the moment of awe filled comprehension passes, you attempt to make your way home.

The city has been devestated by the quakes alone, to say nothing of the areas where the Worm actually passed. Everywhere, rubble fills the streets, fires burn out of control, the dead lie in broken and contorted heaps, the dying wail and scream and beg for aid, filling the air thick with prayers and curses that mingle with the fetid stench of burning flesh and plaster. What should have been a short trip takes well over an hour, as the city streets have become a maze of shattered buildings and blocked streets.

When you finally reach your home, it is only to find yet another pile of rubble... The building's foundation could not sustain the forces of the quakes, and cracked and gave way, the building collapsing without it's support...

... All within lost and destroyed, you suppose you must count yourself lucky that you were not within at the time...

I'll allow that you had most your gear and supplies with you, as you were planning on adventuring when you went out. If you can give me a good reason for having brought all your gold with you, you can keep that too... Otherwise it's lost. (Unless you want to spend the next week trying to dig it all out.)

The Eternal Flame
This censer holds the last spark of the fire of magic brought down to earth from the heavens by the gods themselves.

The Spell Level requirement for all your Meta-Magic effects is reduced by one.

Additionally, once per day, the flame may flare, boosting the powers of all near it. All magic users in a 20ft radius gain a +2 bonus to their Caster Level while the power is in effect. Lasts for the scene.

thirdkingdom
2012-09-13, 06:38 AM

Shaking his head at the loss of so many books, buried in the rubble, Arian returns as quickly as possible to the tunnel.

Mr. X
2012-09-14, 12:57 AM
Gack!! I'm afraid I'm Waiting for one more set of posts before I can let you go down the hole. We're ALMOST there, sorry for the delay.

Mr. X
2012-09-16, 04:18 PM
Picking your way through the broken remains of the city, past dead and wailing dying, you finally reach the mouth of the hole from which the Worm erupted...

The earth pushed up nearly thirty feet, the immense crater left by its passing is a sight to behold in its own right... The land surrounding it is utterly devastated, both from the tremendous passage of the Worm itself, and from the widespread infernos, still blazing out of control, wrought by the flaming elementals as they assaulted the thing...

With singular determination you work your way up the mound, and, though it may just be your hands trembling from the shock, you cannot help but think that you feel faint tremors and vibrations running through the earth as you go...

Finally cresting the edge, you peer down into the abyss... The hole does not drop vertically, but rather at a steep angle. You could potentially walk down into it without too much difficulty... It is, however, seemingly near infinite in depth, reaching down far beyond the sun's illuminating reach.

Oddly, the minor tremors seem to be getting stronger, and a distant roaring is audible, drifting up from the depths...

Your eyes water and itch from the smoke and dust filling the air, and you blink them, attempting to purge the offending tears and lights from your vision...

The tears go, but the lights stay, and even grow brighter, and you realize suddenly that they are the flames of thousands of torches, boiling up from the deep...

Abruptly the dim roar grows into a cacophony of shouting and screeching voices, the the earth now truly trembling beneath the footfalls of thousands upon thousands of feet...

... Breaching into the sunlight, you spot a small party racing up ahead of flooding horde... All are flagging badly as they flee... Upon seeing them clearly, your heart stops at the prophetic implication...

...They are lead by a Dragonborn...

You may now move to the main thread: WLD (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=217427&page=30)

Please gain 6115xp.

Also, just a note regarding the Censer, you must be holding it for it's powers to have effect. It won't work from inside your pack.

Mr. X
2014-01-19, 09:46 PM
SCENE SHIFT

The chains carrying you swiftly and high over ground, you make your way away from the camp, and towards the ruins of the Holy City.

It is as the sun begins to dip low in the sky as you reach the cold battlefield of the plane of Beluvah...

... Despite the massive loss of life the previous day, the battlefield is nearly completely bare. Fallen weapons, and broken shields still litter the plain, but not a single body can be found laying in the mud... For the blighted hordes have doubtlessly dragged off and consumed every one of the fallen of the previous day...

It is witnessing this, that you approach the looming walls of Holy Beluvah.

Fates
2014-02-10, 02:07 AM
Malthos whirls through the air, carried by his spiked and bloodied chains. The sweet smell of gore fills his nostrils as lands just outside the walls. He runs his fingers over his mangled chest, grasping in vain for the mad god's relic. He scowls, baring his teeth, and he spits a curse. Gazing up at the walls before him, the once-shaman cannot help but awe at their imposing grandeur. He takes a moment to work a few encantments before scaling the walls, standing atop the palisades, and looking down at the ruined city before him.

Casting Restoration to remove those annoying negative levels (assuming I hadn't done that yet). Also casting tongues.

Mr. X
2014-02-11, 02:56 AM
Spells noted. You are fully recovered, and 'Comprehend Languages' is active.

Climbing the wall, you cannot help but recall the last time you saw it... From the other side as you fled the city...

... It seems a lifetime ago...

Before the Slavers at Market... Before you gave your hand... Before the horrors in the College at Clear Water... Before the Elves... Before the Eye... Before the Affliction...

... Before, before, before...

... You can hardly remeber the man that crawled out of the Dungeon, much less the man who went down into it...

... What changed...? And when did it happen...?

These are the thoughts that fill your mind as the terrible hooks and spikes of your living chains embed themselves into the cracks between the stones, and pull you skyward up and over the lip.

They are nearly swept from your mind as you reach the top of the wall, and look out over the city...

The cracked and ruined buildings stand as dark monuments to what the city once was, while the streets are littered with piles of broken and horribly gnawed bones...

The blighted goblins scurry through the dark streets and alleys like rats in a warren.

A scrabbling off to your left causes you to whirl around, bringing you face to face with two of the blighted creatures.

Sighting you, the two almost trip over each other as they rush to you, smiling? If their facial expression could be called such... Even so, the light that shines in their eyes can only be that of recognition.

The first to reach you makes an awkward bow, and then carves a chunk of blighted flesh from its thigh with its hooked crystalline appendage, and proffers the diseased meat to you.

Fates
2014-02-11, 05:05 AM
Taken aback by the déjà vu of the moment, Malthos cannot help but feel suspicious of the goblins. How might things have been different, had he refused the foul priest's gesture in the sunken city? What part had his naïveté and vain secularism played in their ritual, and in all that transpired since?

Sense motive check, to see what these goblins are getting at: [roll0]

Mr. X
2014-02-11, 09:59 AM
If anything, they seem open and honest, and excited to see you... Like welcoming back an old friend.

Certainly there is no great ritual present.

Fates
2014-02-11, 11:14 PM
Malthos nods, grinning ravenously as he glides forward to accept the gracious gift. He bites deep into the infected flesh, viscous fluid dropping down his chin, and devours it in a few short moments. He waits a long moment before turning his gaze down upon the miserable creatures before him. His voice is wet and rasp, but no longer does it pain him to speak. I have come... to pay service. Take me to someone who is worthy of my audience, worms.

Mr. X
2014-02-12, 12:29 AM
The raw flesh should be foul, but to your taste it is succulent and delicious. Your eyes roll back in almost pleasure, as the blood trickles down your throat and opens your mind...

... Like rivulets of acid scorching burnt trails across the surface of your brain, the world around you falls away, and you are soaring through the darkness... Bright lights flash around you, hurting your eyes, so many and so fast its a wonder the darkness can be so complete... And with each flash, a face... Bizzare and misshapen gobinoid forms, with the occasional flash of a frightened man or woman... Hundreds or thousands of them... But you know each and every one of them, as though they were your own...

... In fact they are your own...

... You remember... All of them...

Remember terror as the horrid goblin thing leaps on you, driving its crystalline spike through your chest... You remember dying...

You Remember the taste of meat, the raw flesh of your last victim... The first rays of sunshine on your face as you scrambled up from the abysmal dark beneath... You remember when you were littered, and remember the face of your mother... But her face is among them, and you remember giving birth, and the pain of pushing out nine goblin pups... Remember the male whom you mated with that time, and how much you enjoyed it... But his face is there too, and you remember the female, and many females, for you were a breeder...

... And on, and on, and on...

A hundred lives, a thousand, flood your brain. Each now your own as much as if you'd lived it yourself... And among them all a common thread, a single purpose, a deep, driving need...

... A Hunger...

... To consume... With each bite a new life absorbed into your whole... Unto when you are consumed yourself, that the whole of your experiance might be passed to all who feed upon your flesh... On and on, up unto the gods themselves...

You come to slowely, the goblins looking expectantly at you.

As you speak, they nod, and gesture awkwardly for you to follow, before scampering off down the wall.

Fates
2014-02-12, 05:28 AM
The chained man shuffles after the creatures, mind racing with this flood of new memory. It takes some time for Malthos to resurface, but "Malthos" is changed. Though he may be the greatest of the collective, he is only one, and it is beautiful, and humbling, to come to this realization...

...To feel- to truly, intimately, viscerally emphasize, with so many others. A thousand and a thousand and a thousand more lives, all his own, all a part of him.

However much his love for his comrades, and his duty to humanity may impel him, he understands, now, the voracious desires what drive the goblins to their fury, and he cannot help but feel, that perhaps there is more to admire in this purpose than in the fear, narcissism, and hopeless ambitions of men.

Mr. X
2014-02-13, 03:30 AM
Down from the wall, and through the city streets the goblins lead you.

The Blight has taken hold here, and grows rampant on the trees and shrubs that line the once beautiful avenues and gardens, and spreads like lichen even over stone and brick (though it appears to be dramatically less prevalent in areas that receive direct sunlight).

Along the way, you witness numerous great, tree-like fungal growths, baring many enormous, umbrella like caps that almost seem to heave with breath, filling the air around them with clouds of yellowish spores that are caught up in the blustering winds, to be carried far afield...

The further into the city you travel, the more of the blighted goblins you encounter...

It is strange... While many scrabble about, almost crawling, and gnawing on old bones and each other's flesh, many others stand straight and tall, chatting idly in clear common, while others still play at children's games in the streets...

Your approach is noted by all, however, and silence falls and the crowds part at your approach...

To the heart of the city you are taken, where the teaming masses are thickest. Here sits the immense golden dome of the Great Temple, that, though cracked, still gleams in the moon's pale light. The wide courtyard beneath, what was once the Garden of the Gods, teams thick with the goblins' squamous masses. Here they bustling about great iron vats that simmer and bubble with noxious alchemical stews. Cranes and harnesses suspend screaming amputated victims of their own kind over the vats, immersing them in the vile putrescence untill they dissolve wholly, or erupt forth as even more terrifying and indescribable horrors... The great tendrilled things you witnessed upon the high seas, immense toothed and floating eyes (such as the one you killed), swarms of the buzzing, tentacled insects, enormous bloated worms, and many, many more...

... Passed all this, and up into the ruined temple you are taken, where waits a single goblin... The very one whom first guided you into the sunken city so long ago.

It stands at you approach, and makes an awkward bow, before speaking in crystal clear common.

"Welcome, Chained One. Your coming has been anxiously awaited."

Fates
2014-02-13, 09:30 AM
Malthos dips his head a few inches. Yes...I imagine it has. Do you claim sovereignty here, or do you speak for another? I admit I know little.
As he lifts his head, the Chained Man's voice takes on an ever-so-slight hint of sarcasm. But I am being impolite. What is it that is required of me?

Mr. X
2014-02-15, 03:04 AM
The goblin 'smiles', saying.

"I speak to you on behalf of our Lord and Master, The First Prophet of our gods, and architect of our people... I have been chosen in hopes that you might appreciate speaking with a face you recognize."

It makes a slight bow,

"All that we ask of you, is that you bear witness to what you have seen here, and carry that word out to those suffering who need to hear it..."

Fates
2014-02-15, 10:07 AM
Malthos raises an eyebrow. Then our lord wishes me to leave? I will do as you say, if that is what is required of me, but I am curious. I am a spiritual man, even now, yet I know little to nothing of our own gods. Is there someone with which I may speak on such matters?

Mr. X
2014-02-16, 04:28 PM
"You are welcome to stay or go as you please..."

The goblin tilts its head skyward, and his whole countenance changes... He seems smaller, and more filled with wonder...

When he speaks his voice is high pitched, like that of a child

"... The Prophet has seen your fate written in the clouds and stars above, and in them, has seen your every step as being good for us..."

He looks back at you, his stance altering again... Standing taller, and leaning sideways on his hips, tilting his head, and shrugging his shoulders in a feminine fashion, he speaks with a woman's voice.

"... If you would know more, you might bring him forth yourself..."

He hunches forward, putting his good hand on his stomach, and when he speaks, it is in a voice you cannot help but recognize... Murgan...

"... Bastard lives in all o' us, jes like me..."

The goblin straightens, speaking again in his initial voice.

"... There are dangers in conjuring a persona so... 'Potent'... As our Prophet... But if you would be his vessel, you need only allow him to come forth."

As the goblin suggests, you have already assimilated the life and memories of the Prophet. If you would like to bring him up, make a Will Save, DC 35.

It may be possible to commune with him inside your head, without giving him full reign, but you won't know without trying.

Fates
2014-02-18, 06:01 AM
Malthos nods, and folds into a cross-legged pose, his pale lips straight, face firm and neutral, eyes shut. He exerts his will inwardly, prying his mind for the presence of the prophet, and attempts to commune with it.

Mr. X
2014-02-19, 01:36 AM
Sitting on a still standing pew within the desecrated Great Temple, it takes some time for you to center yourself sufficiently to turn your focus inwards, and delve the depths of your countless lives...

... At first, all is dark... You feel yourself drifting through a vast, empty space...

... All around dim points of light surround you, like stars in the sky...
But you know, and can name, each and every one of them.

... It is more peaceful than when you first merged with these lives, and as each person drifts past, you have all the time you need to find the one you seek... Not unlike searching for an individual amongst a crowd of close friends. Each known and loved implicitly, but only one purposefully sought...

... As you drift by soldiers and craftsmen, sailors and merchants, sons and daughters, wives and mothers, you realize that, in you, each has achieved a sort of immortality...

Their husks cast off, perhaps, but each yet continues to live on... Merely waiting in stasis to be brought forth to continue their lives wherever they left them...

... Can the Blight so terrible as you first perceived, if through it such peace and continuity could be achieved..?

... But these thoughts are not your purpose here...

Deeper into the darkness you drift, past all the recent lives... The young... And on to the elder lives...

... You witness the suffering of the goblins upon who's shoulders the survival of their kind rested...

... Sealed away by the fearful and short sighted, they were trapped within the cold earth... Left to starve and die...

... But they yet had hope for a brighter future... When all creatures might share their gods' blessing...

... And for a millennia, they did not merely survive... They thrived...

... Ever deeper, and ever farther... Until you find him...

Where every previous life has seemed the passing twinkle of a star, the Prophet is like a swelling cloud... A thunderstorm of latent power...

... Pressing forward, you come to a rest in his presence... A hunched and twisted goblin, like every other you've encountered, but his aura of power resonates palpably about him...

... Turning to face you, he yet wears the mask of Murgan's face...

"You have come at last."

Fates
2014-02-26, 06:20 AM
Malthos considers bowing, but then decides against it, settling for a nod of respect. It took me some time to...come to terms with our god's gift. Mortalkind can be quite naive in matters of flesh and blood. You'll excuse me, I hope.

The chained man's eyes, which in this world seem to lose their cloudiness, betray genuine curiosity.

I am come, as I suspect you already knew, to learn of our god- or gods. I know now that I belong here, among my kind, but... if I am to receive my power from, or indeed to serve greater forces, I would wish to understand them. Anything else you would have me know, of course, will be much appreciated.

Mr. X
2014-03-07, 04:34 AM
The Prophet nods, smiling.

"... To call them 'gods' is a misrepresentation of what they are..."

He turns and sweeps one of his hands across the sky, blackening your view there, and then filling it with an image of the world...

"It existed long before the gods came... Before the division of light and darkness... Before the separation of the mundane and the magical..."

He almost sneers,

"Before the split of the Super-Natural and the Pseudo-Natural..."

He sighs...

"... Before, all was one. Light was dark, life and death were one and the same, and the potential for all these things existed in a proto-state that was eternal..."

He spits.

"When the gods arose, they shattered the proto-state, separating life from death, dark from light, and established this natural order of diversity... Each plant and animal it's own life... Alone, and untouched by any other... Cut away from the whole to stumble through the dark of existence alone.

In doing, the proto-state was also broken... It's aspects divided... No longer the whole they once were, but each still of immense power... And each still striving for the whole...

The Hunger... Who's hands reach ever further, who's appetite cannot be sated... The Fungus... The proto-substance that brings the fragmented lives back together...

There are more, but to comprehend them, you must first see them... You have the power now to visit their planes... I suggest you do..."

He looks around,

"... But for now, I must release you... Share with all the yet unblessed what you have learned... Share with them the hope... If you had not come when you did, our cause would have been lost..."

... As he finishes, the is a sudden rushing of wind, and you are flung into the sky... Thousands upon thousands of lives streak passed you, as you re-emerge into yourself...

A sharp blast of icy wind finds you atop a stone tower in the midst of the city... Your body wracked with agonizing pain, as you look down to see your arm and chest flayed nearly to the bone, even as the fungus rapidly grows to heal you...

Beyond much of the city is a smoking ruin, even more so than when you arrived... The charred remains of countless burnt goblins litter the streets, as terrible wildfires burn out of control all around you...

... There is a great, yawning rumble... And you see the beast...

... It's scales burt and peeling off, it's wings torn and bloody, the colossal reptile crawls defeated away... A taloned claw smashing a smaller building to rubble as the creature heaves itself over the city's outer wall, and limps off to vanish into the northern forest... Perhaps to die...

... "... If you had not come when you did, our cause would have been lost..."

Fates
2014-03-10, 10:37 PM
Malthos collapses to his knees, clutching his ravaged arm to his chest. The air stings his eyes, and hot tears pour down his withered face, as the ragged remains of his garments blow furiously in the wind, his chains writhing and rattling. Looking over the horizon, seeing the dragon's husk, a grim understanding overtakes him. Kulkov the godsent is dead, his light gone from the world.

The shaman holds his hand before his face, stares at the creases, soaked with blood. Eyes the fungal growth reaching across its back. His hand.... his only hand. His.

Malthos falls prostrate, shaking uncontrollably. Slowly, softly, he begins to sob. He sobs for a long time, and wails.

Dirty, defiled. USED! I am not his...I am...I...

What is he?

Who is Malthos anymore? A tool? A hammer to a smith, a serf's sickle...another apparatus to accomplish some meaningless task? What use is this thing, this pretense? What had it brought in its wake but ruin and despair? What task had it accomplished? What is the matter of a man, a creature that is Malthos? If he is a tool, then he is broken, and a broken tool is better left discarded.

The chained man stands, and hobbles to the edge of the tower. He closes his eyes, positioned atop the battlements, and without so much as a whisper, he falls.

...and prays that his chains will not catch him.

Mr. X
2014-03-11, 12:45 AM

... It is so quiet...

... So peaceful...

... The Chains have been so heavy... The weight of your Duty...

... They say that before you die, you life passes before your eyes... And so it is, as you drift downward, supported on a cushion of rushing wind, that your mind begins to wander...

... The warm, sweet taste of milk... A woman's face smiling down upon you...

... The scrape of the razor over your scalp, when you first shaved your head...

... The soft voice of Yethri... Always patient, always kind... His wry smile obscuring the countless hard lessons he'd learned, and sought to teach you...

... If only you'd known then what you know now...

... The curl of your father's lip, as he sneered at your work in the forge...

... The first whisper of the spirits in your ear, and the rush of their power flowing through you...

... The arrogance that came with it...

... The attack on the village... And your escape...

... The loneliness that followed...

... The first time you met Kulkov... All shining scales and boisterous gaiety, confident and without a care in the world...

... So different from the man he was when he fell...

... And then the recent times, passing in flashes...

... Your first steps into the dungeon...

... The horror of the Hand god, and the flight through the gauntlet...

... The fountain of gold...

... The Chains... So light when first you donned them...

... The goblin city, the Worm, and the fall and escape from Beluvah...

... The tavern in Clearwater where you discovered Fredric's bounty...

... The Elves... The Dwarves...

... And then The Prophet...

... So many miles you've traveled... So many obstacles overcome...

... For what...?

... To ensure the success of the Blight?

... To make meaningless Kulkov's sacrifice?

... After all you suffered, after all you fought, after all you gave up...

... That was to be your legacy...?

... You took upon yourself the duty to save the world...

... And those chains were heavy...

... So very heavy...

... You realize something...

... There is no shame in this defeat...

... You tried...

... You gave everything...

... No one, not even the Gods themselves, could ask for more from you...

... If it wasn't enough... The fault lies not with you...

... Down...

... Down...

... Down...

... A sharp rattle rings out against the rushing air...

... NO!!

You open your eyes and twist, to see the ground rushing up at you.

The Chains lash out, scraping and dragging along the tower wall, seeking purchase...

... A hook catches for a moment, upsetting your dive, and smashing you against the wall, before pulling free as you plummet downwards, cracked rubble pelting you as the chains whip about dragging against cracked stone and mortar, and finally pulling you to a stop hanging inches from the ground...

... A tear falls to the ashen earth...

... You cannot even die the way you wish to...

... But then you realize...

... You took the Chains upon yourself because of your own sense of Duty...

... And as that Duty grew, so too did the Chains...

... It is not the Chains that refuse to let you die... It is you...

... It is you...

... And you still have much to do...

Stage 4: Duty Bound

You comprehend now that the Chains were never the cursed metal you once thought, but were a manifestation of your own subconscious sense of self.

You and they are one and the same.

System: You now have complete control over the Chains, and may expand or reduce them (down to their initial Choker Amulet, or up to full Chain Mail) at will, as a Free Action.

Additionally, The Chains no longer inflict damage when you cast Blighted magic, and provide a +2 to your effective Caster Level.

Fates
2014-03-13, 03:04 AM
Malthos allows himself to fall the last few inches, and lands with a soft thud. Rolling onto his back, the shaman closes his eyes, and inhales in great gulps, exhales deeply...

...All this time. All these years, all these trials, all that he has stood for and all that he has stood against, all fall into place. After so much confusion, frustration, desperation...everything finally makes sense. The gods, the spirits, had not sought to punish him- they never had. The chains are his- they are a part of him, and had been long before the chamber of statues. They are more than the skin of metal that bound his form- more than the fleeting power they grant- they are something greater, something sublime.

Duty.

And duty, like the chains, is not a curse. It is not something to be accepted grudgingly, but with fervor. It is to be embraced, not endured with grim submission. There is no greater standard by which one may judge a person than how they fulfill their duty. And cleverness, valor, daring and compassion... all are meaningless unless put to use- to achieve something beyond oneself, to serve a higher purpose, to do what must be done for the betterment of the world, to the best of one's ability.

And for all of Malthos' flaws... for all his faults, and all his follies, he knows that he has never shirked his duty.

And for that, he is a just man. Perhaps arrogant, perhaps reckless, perhaps cold, at times. Perhaps he does not fit the mold of a good man...but who could hold true to such high ideals, who has undergone such a life as his? After all, at heart he is only human. Malthos forgets that sometimes. He may not be good, but he is just, and for that, he can take solace.

The shaman's eyes flutter open, and his nose fills with the scent of blood and smoke and burning flesh. He sits upright, and gazes across the ravaged landscape, at the charred corpses of the blighted, at the ruin wrought by the dragon gods' emissary, and like a rushing tide another realization hits.

The wyrm's defeat was not his defeat. Malthos did not desire the proto-state of which the prophet spoke, nor had he rid himself of the horror of possession, but neither did he wish for the eradication of the blighted. These goblins had suffered at the hands of men, dwarves, and elves. Sealed beneath the ground, in unwarranted fear- an unjust punishment.

And yet they endured these hardships, and despite all appearances maintained their mortal spirits...they are savage and misguided, and their goal is oblivion, but they stay true to their purpose- they do not shirk their duty, and there is much to admire in that. Beneath it all the blighted are still people, and so they can learn, and be redeemed, given time. To destroy them would be genocide- there must instead be a middle ground- a compromise that can be met. A peace.

Malthos stands, and stares towards the setting sun in the distance, wiping the last tears from his face. There would be time enough to weep when this is all over- now is a time for action. Now, more than ever, his talents would be needed. A compromise must be attempted, an end to the suffering. Such a thing seems insurmountable, but it is a noble task. It is a legacy he could take pride in leaving behind.

And it is worth living for.

Fates
2014-04-11, 12:12 PM
Malthos awakes with swollen eyes, the morning sun glaring above the horizon. He groans as he struggles to stand, and, after a moment of hesitation, retracts his chains back into a collar- a feeling of relief washing over him. He arches his aching back and rolls his shoulders, and then moves outside the holy city, wishing not to be disturbed. Upon finding a suitable outcrop, he retrieves a small rod of dried bamboo, murmuring as he rolls it in his palm. In a few short moments, clear, cool water trickles forth from the earth to form a small spring. Malthos removes the tattered remains of his garments and robe, setting them on the rocks.

The shaman scowls as he stares at the reflection of his naked form in the water. Not as bad as he might have thought...the fungus had spread over much of his body, and the crystal arm still unnerves him, but he looks basically human- perhaps that was the best he could hope for. Shutting his eyes, Malthos plunges his head under the water.

Malthos spends the next hour or so bathing, cleaning himself of all the blood and bile and grime of yesterday's mayhem. Next, he gathers his clothes in a pile, and waves his hand over them; in moments, the countless tears and burns in the rags dissapear, as the cloth weaves itself back into a workable, albeit badly worn and bloodied, state.

Malthos labors for a while, washing the mud-caked clothes in the spring- it is hard work with only one hand, but it is a happy diversion from his worries- Malthos always had preferred washing clothes, tanning hides, and similar duties to hunting- his father often punished his son if he found him doing women's work. Perhaps that was why he eventually forced Malthos to work the forge.

After some time, the shaman sets the clothes out on the rocks again to dry, and sits cross-legged in the replenished water. With a twinge of guilt and a profound sense of déjà-vu, Malthos renews his bond with the Hunger.

It is noon when Malthos returns to consciousness. He dresses himself in sun-baked attire, and then allows his chains to return to their full length, wrapping around his form. He dons his greyed robe over his armor of chains, and pulls the hood over his head. He invokes a word and lifts into the air, soaring south toward the Star Spire camp, to report back to the boy king.

Casting Create Spring, Make Whole, and Overland Flight (which will last for the next 11 hours.

Mr. X
2014-04-11, 10:11 PM
Taking to the skies, you see that the armies present the previous day have all departed.

The Hill where the camps of Deep Mote and Star Spire stood is now a desolate graveyard... The Hill itself has been split in twain, as though by a titan's axe, revealing a black abyss stretching into the very bowels of the earth...

... The lands around it are littered with the bodies of the fallen, the ground saturated with their blood...

... The Blighted have not yet rallied from the dragon's assault to claim the waiting feast, but even so, scavengers and carrion eaters, both two-legged and four, pick their way through the near endless ranks of dead...

... Amidst it all, near the chasm's edge, a lone pyre burns, sending a column of smoke high into the heavens... Perhaps up unto the gods themselves...

Fates
2014-04-11, 10:58 PM
Malthos gazes in horror at the carnage all around him, his nose assailed by the smell of gore and his eyes stung from the acrid smoke. Was the Dragon responsible for this, or was it the armies themselves who brought this desolation? A civil conflict, perhaps, or a mutiny?

Setting this aside, Malthos hovers towards the site of the pyre, chains rattling behind.

Mr. X
2014-04-11, 11:25 PM
While the dragon appears to have been responsible for some of the death, it is clear that much of it occurred before its appearance... The two armies battled one another, for what cause, you cannot say.

Looking around at the torn and broken banners, and the armors worn by the fallen soldiers, it is apparent that the conflict was between the Dwarves of Deep Mote, and the battalions of Great Gate... Star Spire does not appear to have been involved.

Moving through the wastes, your nose burning, and your blighted bowels grumbling with the acrid smell of blood and charred flesh, you approach the pyre...

The fire has been burning for some hours, and so the body within has been reduced to mostly ash and charred bone...

... But the goliath stature, and draconic bone structure are unmistakeable...

...It is Kulkov.

Fates
2014-04-12, 03:14 AM
Malthos clutches his reeling stomach, and tries his best to slow his quickening breath. Hot tears pour down his face, and he struggles not to sob.

His premonition was correct. The Dragonborn, the Godsent, that warm and brave and selfless soul who was Kulkov had met his end.

The first, perhaps the best friend Malthos had after leaving his home. The one who truly seemed to understand Malthos for who he is. The one who always showed unwavering devotion- to his patron, his people, his friends, in equal measure. The greatest warrior and the greatest man Malthos has ever known...was dead.

What must life had been like for Kulkov? How must he have felt, that tribal warrior, so naive and so pure and so gallant, to come so suddenly to such hardship?
What must he have felt, having leadership thrust upon him, this man of simple means, to be called a hero, a man sent by the gods themselves to save the people from the blight? How wrought he must have been with guilt, when so many died under his banner.

And by what right was all this forced upon him? What gave Bahamut the right to make a pawn of Kulkov? To choose for him a fate he never wanted, and then to give him no aid or guidance in return?

Malthos never could understand religion. The gods are no better than mortals- they are just as flawed, and just as foolish. They take mortals as their playthings, command them to perform their dirty work, yet without mortals they are all but powerless. How much gentler a place might the world be, if mortals were to cast them aside, and decide their own fate?

Malthos swoops downwards, and, channeling his anger, thrusts his hand into the fire, feeling the flames lick his exposed arm...but they do not burn him. The shaman retrieves a charred bone, and gingerly sets it on the rocks beside the pyre. Then he retrieves another, and another, until, some time later, the full skeleton is removed from the fire.

Malthos sits beside the pile of ashen bones, and, closing his eyes, begins to sing. It was one of the few ritual songs that Yethri taught him, written in the language their people once spoke, before adopting the settled peoples' tongue- Malthos finds the words come back to him easily, though he does not recall their meaning. His voice is hoarse and unmelodious, but he sings, the rhythmic rise and fall of his droning trill echoing throughout the torn landscape.

During this time, he calls upon the last of the spirits power that remains within him, and calls to the powers of the other-world, to hear his song and to answer his plea.

Using the Fire Ward ability from the Flame Domain to grant myself fire resistance 15.

Then, casting ritualized Spirit Ally, which I did indeed prepare while still being granted spells by the spirits,in case corrupting the spell has some effect on the summons.

Mr. X
2014-04-12, 12:14 PM
The last words of the song are barely off your lips, when your hackles rise in response to the presence... Your ears fill with the clash of metal, and the shouts and screams of men fighting and dying... A great wind blasts across the field, and in it you feel the unquelled rage of those fighting for their lives, unaware that those lives have ended...

The wind grows stronger, swirling into a tempest before you, and pulling from the ground a multitude of fallen axes, swords, and spears, forming a spinning cloud of steel, clattering each against the other, as though the battle of the previous day yet raged... And indeed, deep within that mass, you can make out ethereal hands grasping the weapon hafts, and a dim, conglomerate mass of faces and bodies, and howling voices that turn chaotically turn and battle one another, only to be subsumed by the roiling cloud, and replaced by others...

... Such is the being which you have conjured.

Fates
2014-04-20, 10:14 PM
Malthos steps back a pace, breathing heavily. He stands before the metal behemoth, and, filled with anger and passion, rasps.

Bound by the grace of the spirits and wrought in the blood of the betrayed, I have called you to this place, creature.

If you would speak, I would make query before your task begins. But regardless, there is much work to be done...in which you will doubtless be a great boon. If there is a price to be paid, I will gladly give it.

If you have words, then speak. Tell me your name, and your desire.

Mr. X
2014-04-20, 10:22 PM
The scraping rasp of a hundred embattled swords, and the dying screams of a hundred slaughtered souls are the sounds that make up the thing's voice... Piercing your ears like nails on a slate...

"... We are the battle unending... We may serve, but you must make it stop... MAKE IT STOP!!!"

Fates
2014-04-23, 10:58 AM
Malthos speaks in a calm, reserved tone. Your battle will end, in due time, if that is what you wish- you have my word.

Before you are set out on your primary task, however, I have a lesser duty for you.

Malthos retrieves a cloth sack from his pack, and gathers Kulkov's bones within.

You will deliver these bones to the Ilkanu goliath tribe. They will know whose they are. You will defend yourself from any threats along the way- you will not kill unless it is completely necessary, and you will not allow yourself to be destroyed. You will not harm any member of the Ilkanu. You will simply deliver the bones, and then return to me.

Malthos discloses rough directions to where the Ilkanu may be found.

Do you understand?

Mr. X
2014-04-23, 11:32 AM
"Yessssss..." the thing hisses, "... This thing shall be done..."

The howling winds snatch up the bag, pulling it into the tempest's minds, and the shrieking spirit streaks off southward, leaving you alone.

... It is then that you spy the serpentine blade caught in the mud...

The dagger...

Rushing to gather it up, you find it broken... The blade snapped off from the hilt, which is found nearby, and lifelessly devoid of the magic which once bound it to the Hunger...

... It is dealing with this that you hear a voice speak out behind you.

"Saw him break it I did, my master..."

Whirling, your eyes fall upon a man in haggard priest's robes... His face is smeared with blood, and in his hand he holds a disembodied arm, chewed where he's been gnawing at it...

... But his voice... Brings forth a distant memory from nearly a lifetime ago...

Indeed, they have even sent their own among us! In the fires of devistation, the Godsent, the Dragonborn appeared to guide you to safty! Now he stands among you again to lead you against this foe, and bring swift redribution to the defilers of this world!!"

... The priest from among the refugees...

Fates
2014-04-23, 12:23 PM
Malthos holds the shattered knife in his hand, and as his eyes roll towards the priest, he laughs in dark irony. What a world we live in, that heroes fall and innocents die in untold multitudes, yet men such as you and I survive.

He stows the shards away, and turns to face the man, throwing him a look of cool resignation.

Tell me, how much did those slavers pay you to rally those peasants? At what cost did you sell your principles? How much gold does it take to quiet the voices of the gods?

Mr. X
2014-04-23, 03:00 PM
The priest looks taken aback.

"My master, you do me wrong... Short sighted in my zeal, perhaps I was, but in league with the slavers, I was not. Indeed, like the great Dragonborn, I ran to do battle with them and rescue those ensnared, but was struck down by your purging fire before I could... And then by your power, my life was returned to me... As something else."

He gestures around, where many of the other scavengers are beginning to approach you,

"As were we all."

Fates
2014-04-27, 08:17 PM
Malthos steps back, and struggles to clench his quivering jaw. However, his eyes reveal absolute shock and horror.

He stands there, silent, for a few long moments, gazing at the victims of another of his old demons.

He stammers, struggling for words, before exploding in an exasperated cry, pointing towards the priest.

I...What are you...stop! What are you doing? D..drop that thing! He sobs. I am not your master! You owe me nothing. Nothing! I...I killed you! I deserve your hate! Please, listen to me! I...I...

His throat constricts painfully. He cannot make out any more words. He wipes the tears and ash from his face, stares at the resurrected men, and buries his face in his palm.

Mr. X
2014-04-28, 04:54 PM
A hand touches your shoulder.

"Master, you are mistaken."

You look up into the face of a strikingly beautiful woman, also bloodied from recent feeding.

"You are the only hope that remains to us... You are our creator.

After you returned our lives, we all went our ways... Scattered to the winds, our old lives and families destroyed by the demons of Beluvah, we wandered and sought to begin anew...

... But it was not long before the hunger took us..."

She gestures to the corpses littering the field,

"Amongst the refugees, there was never a shortage of the recently dead... Those who succumbed to illness or the wounds received in their flight from the Holy City, and now the fallen of great battles..."

She looks to the others gathered.

"We found our niches following the camps... To comfort the soldiers, and helping to 'prepare' the dead for burial."

She pauses, recalling an unpleasant memory,

"Some were discovered... To be cut down on the spot, or faced with charges of abomination against nature... To be burned at the stake as witches and demons by the justices of the lands..."

She looks back at you,

"But the gods would not take us... Nerul's embrace beyond our grasp, we did not die... We could not die...

Always recovering and returning, the winds of fate swept us and drew us in until we found each other... And until we found you.

You are our creator... Your purpose is ours...

... You are all that remains to us."

Fates
2014-05-31, 10:59 PM
Malthos remains silent for a long time, avoiding the woman's gaze. His mind races, trying in vain to make sense of the situation at hand. For a minute, or half a minute, or several minutes Malthos stands there, wracked with guilt and shame, barely able to support his own weight.

Until finally, Malthos relents. His mind clears, and his throat relaxes. Later, perhaps there would be time to dwell on these things. Now, however, these people would need his guidance.

Malthos blinks, and opens his eyes, looking back into the woman's. He gulps, before at last speaking, breaking the long silence.

I am sorry that you were made like this. I am sorry that you have suffered so at my hands. And I wish that you would revile me for it- I wish nothing more than that you wouId shun me and shame me and have nothing to do with me- pay retribution for condemning you to this existence.

However, as you choose instead to follow and embrace me, I swear to you-

He looks around, gesturing.

All of you, that I will never again bring you harm. And I will ensure that no one else should do the same. I will protect you, as best I can, from the blight, from cruel men who shun and despise you, from all the evils of the world. I will shelter you, and in time I will attempt to ensure that you will find joy and love and happiness in this life. And in all things I offer you whatever guidance you require, through whatever wisdom and knowledge I possess.

All these things I will do; but there is something I would ask for you to swear in return.

I would ask that you do not subject yourselves to me. I do not wish to be worshipped, revered, or groveled before. I want you to aid me, not to serve me. I wish for you to join me in my aims because my aims are just and righteous- I would not have you act out of blind obedience. I want you to question all that I say, and to do always what you feel is right, whether or not I ask you to, or even deem it so.

Malthos closes his eyes for a moment and breaths deeply.

Are we agreed?

Mr. X
2014-06-03, 01:57 AM
The woman and the priest nod immediately, but many of the rest only look at you quizzically...

... You realize that many of them are peasants or city workers and servants, who's lives have so revolved around blind obedience to a lord or boss, that the mere idea of having a say in what actions they take is a foreign one...

... It takes some time for comprehension of what you are saying, and the empowerment it promises, to dawn on them, but before long, they are all nodding and agreeing enthusiastically, when the priest turns back to you.

"What are you going to do?"

He glances northward,

"I saw the man who broke the dagger, if you would seek him..."

Fates
2014-06-03, 11:07 AM
Malthos nods curtly. Truth be told, I wanted nothing much to do with the thrice-damned thing anymore, but at the same time, I may have had need of it in the future. I would know his name, though barring a dramatic change of circumstances I doubt we will have time or cause to seek him out.

The Shaman shifts his footing.

I admit that I have no clear-cut course for the immediate future, predominantly because I do not know the present state of affairs, beyond, of course, the death of Kulkov and the summary emergence of the Dragon. I would thank you to tell me anything you know of the events that transpired here- is the dragon responsible for all these dead? And what of Gunther's return? What could have caused such a thing?

Mr. X
2014-06-04, 03:38 AM
It is the priest that speaks.

"I believe that the gods are summoning up their champions from across the ages to do battle with the Enemy... The Dragon the child of Bahumat and Tiamat, Gunter, the scion of Nerul... The others may yet have their pieces in play... Mayhap we are among them.

Of the dead, the Dragon killed some... More than some, really, but mostly they killed each other. Great Gate assaulted the Dwarven flanks while their force faced a sortie of the Enemy from Beluvah. Seemed as though they used the undead to rile them up as a diversion... Got all their cannons lined up points the wrong way...

As for the man, I don't know his proper name, but you do... He was with you at Market: The Bonefoot was the one who done it..."

Fates
2014-08-09, 12:23 AM
Malthos sighs in resignation. ,,,That is unfortunate. Unfortunate, but certainly not unexpected.

The shaman shrouds his face with his hand, and stares westward.
We will discuss my plans...our plans, and much else, soon enough, but this is neither the time nor place for such discourse. Prudence in all things, for eager eyes and ears are never far away.

Malthos begins to pace, drawing in a long breath through his mouth. He looks to the priest. While I appreciate your counsel, I believe that the man to whom you referred may be somewhat better suited to illuminate me on the issue at hand- he is quite uniquely qualified in this regard, and I would have words with him. Do you know where he has gone?

Mr. X
2014-08-09, 04:46 PM
The priest points to the Northwest, where you can just make out a distant encampment.

"He went that way, but was stopped by a party from the Ashen Legion... He knelt before 'em, an' they exchanged words, though I couldn't hear, an' then they took 'im in."

He frowns.

"It looked as though they meant to put 'im in chains, but he said somethin', an' they stopped, an' didn't... The whole lot o' 'em looked mighty nervous to be around him.

He went with 'em anyway, though."

Fates
2014-08-09, 08:06 PM
Malthos turns to the direction the priest indicates, his cloudy eyes squinting in an attempt to make out the banner blazon. The Ashen Company? Under Great Gate's employ, I assume? Troubling- both that the enemy should have such fierce warriors in their pocket, and that Fredrick would go with them.

Well, then I suppose I have no choice but to find them at once. If he is well-guarded now, in a day he will be unreachable. There is too much to discuss for this to be handled from afar.

He turns around, facing the Priest again. Is there any chance you know a spell that would allow me to better penetrate their camp? I might suffice on my own, but I admit enchantments of deceit and subterfuge are not my specialty.

Mr. X
2014-08-10, 02:10 AM
"I know a few enchantments that will perhaps be of use to you... But be wary around the 'Legion... They are strange and temperamental folk."

Priest's Spell List:

Lv. 0: (3)
Ghost Sound
Know Direction
Lullaby
Prestidigitation
Ventriloquism
Read Magic

Lv. 1: (4)
Charm Person
Cause Fear
Remove Fear
Sleep

Lv 2: (2)
Suggestion
Calm Emotions
Tongues

The Priest also possesses the Scribe Scroll feat, and has a scroll of each of the spells he knows, which he is willing to share with you.

Parenthesis() indicate the number of castings available per spell level per day.