PDA

View Full Version : Department of Domestic Threats (4e) IC

Albub
2012-07-16, 02:36 PM
Little Asha skipped happily through crowded market streets, dodging the shuffling crowds and looking for someone to play with. Normally she would be on her way home by now, her mama's workday finished, but today was special. Her mama was busy with a special job, and had given Asha a fistful of coppers to divert her attention until she was able to walk her daughter home. Asha wasn't sure what her mama did for work in the squat mud building she played outside all day, but she knew it was odd that today her mama left with a well dressed man to do some work for him at his house. Normally mama only ever left work alone, and always walked Asha home through the dangerous city streets.

She chased a grubby boy around his parents' market stall for a while, and then almost went to sit with a pretty girl until she noticed her pointed ears. Mama told her that non-humans were dangerous. Even little ones like herself had older siblings and parents, and most non-humans were criminals or involved with dangerous people in some way. She was just starting to get hungry and look for a food stall when a kitten caught her eye. It was frolicking around the base of one of the big decorative fountains that dotted the massive market square. There were people everywhere and she was afraid it would be crushed underfoot, so she hurried to scoop it up. "What is this Mr. Kitty? Do you have a love letter for me?" She babbled idly as she fished a piece of paper out from under the kitten's collar. Asha could not read, her mother had not taught her in her 4 short years, but she figured she could show the paper to her mother later and see what it said. The paper cared not that she was illiterate, and as her gaze touched its surface magical runes glowed brightly before a powerful explosion vaporized the cat, little Asha, and a dozen other unfortunate market goers.

At this signal, groups of masked men sprang into action. Reading from scrolls, they began pouring spell after devastating spell into the panicking crowds. Walls of fire scythed down milling clusters of glassy-eyed citizens, the crackle of lightning mingled with screams of pain and fear. The guardsmen on duty stared slack-jawed as the people they were sworn to protect died in droves around them before they too were slain by unfeeling masked attackers. A column of guards that had been on patrol arrived on scene and engaged one of the groups, dispatching masked attackers with ease until one pulled out a scroll and the whole melee was consumed in a bright flash, guards and assailants alike reduced to ash.

More guards were arriving, starting to take control of the situation. Casters began throwing up barriers to protect the guardsmen from the brutal magical onslaught, and many of the attackers were engaged by relief columns from a nearby guardhouse. As they were cornered, more of the attackers pulled out scrolls that vaporized them and the valiant guards they were fighting. Then, as suddenly as it had started, the commotion in the market square had stopped. The air carried only the commanding shouts of guard officers, and the moans of the hurt and dying. The attackers had been slain or destroyed themselves. A guardsman's cry rang out "Sir! We have a live one here!"

(((More to come when I get home from work.)))

Dragonal01
2012-07-16, 02:54 PM
Harbek was walking his patrol route along the outskirts of the city, out of sight, out of mind as it were, when seeing the flash of light starts running to the scene, and upon arrival hears the the guard's shout. So make his way over to try and asisst.

Heal Check: [roll0]
well that's super helpfull -_-

Durksmurf
2012-07-16, 03:22 PM
Wheaty

Rushing in with the second group of guards, Wheaty hides behind a fountain and draws his Staffs. In his hand a Green gelatinous orb forms, ready to strike the masked men.
Stealth Check [roll0] and I ready a Acid Orb to hit the next enemy that I can see that moves. The roll for that is [roll1] and on a hit it will deal [roll2] Acid Damage.

EDIT: Please ignore post, I Previewed it by accident.

Durksmurf
2012-07-16, 03:30 PM
Wheaty

Rushing in with the second group of guards, Wheaty hides behind a fountain and draws his Staffs. In his hand a Green gelatinous orb forms, ready to strike the masked men.
Stealth Check [roll0] and I ready a Acid Orb to hit the next enemy that I can see that moves. The roll for that is [roll1] and on a hit it will deal [roll2] Acid Damage.

Albub
2012-07-16, 04:49 PM
Kennan Tannerson sat in his office at the market district watch station. He had been a busy man for the past few hours, trying to keep order in the midst of one of the bloodiest incidents in the city's history. He had already dispatched several teams of investigators, and from what they had told him this attack was like nothing that had ever happened before.

It was a concerted effort by an unknown party. The perpetrators had almost all perished in the attack, and the only survivor had been less than helpful so far. A team was off following a potential lead dredged up in the initial round of interrogation, but he hadn't yet received word from them about their progress. The motivation behind the attack was still unclear. Tannerson was currently going over the events at the market square with the handful of guardsmen that had survived the attack. He called Harbek, Wheaty, and several other men into his office.

Gentlemen, we're still reeling from this. We lost almost 4 dozen guardsmen in those attacks, and gods know the civilian casualties aren't pretty. Now I've been briefed to hell and back on what happened, but it's all casualty reports and damage assessments, and idle speculation about the attackers. You men were there, you were at the market during the attack. I know it was brief, and probably pretty damn hectic, but if you can tell me what you remember of it you'd be doing the whole city a service.

Dragonal01
2012-07-16, 05:02 PM
Apologies sir, I arrived at the scene after the attack, I only saw the aftermath and helped aprehend the suspect. But what I saw wasn't pretty."

OOC:-Can I make an Insight or Perception check to see If I remember anything?
If so:-
Insight [roll0]
Perception [roll1]
Wow hope I can use those rolls :)

Albub
2012-07-16, 05:16 PM
That was you? Good work son, the bastard hasn't said much since you brought him in, but what we have gotten out of him should be instrumental in getting to the bottom of this.

Harbek
Raking your memory, you recall something that seemed out of the ordinary. A citizen was standing facing the square as you headed towards it. Given the commotion it didn't seem unusual at the time, but in retrospect they would have been much too far away to actually see anything going on. Also, they weren't fleeing the scene, which virtually all other civilians were doing, nor were they heading towards it like a member of the guard or the militia. It was as though they were waiting for something. There was one other thing that stood out about them, but it eludes you. Perhaps the testimony of some of the other guards will jog your memory.

Irish Musician
2012-07-16, 05:18 PM
Veil (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=422412) - Pixie Warlock
Veil had been sneaking around town all day, trying to catch those that were doing wrong by sneaking around herself. Her communicator went off all of a sudden with voices, seemingly coming from every single guard in the city, talking about some crazy men bombing the city. Then silence.

She was quite worried, and started making her way to where the thought the scene of the crime was. After arriving, she starts looking at all the carnage, body parts and blood spread everywhere. She has to take a moment so that she doesn't lose her lunch all over the street. Once she recovered from that, she looked around again. Men, women and children were strewn everywhere, some whole, most in parts, along with many, many guards of the city as well. She looks over some of what is left of the perps and sigh. Such a waste. All these people dead, and for what? Clenching her fists, tears coming to her eyes, she thinks I will avenge these people. Townsfolk and guards alike. These evil beings will pay the price. Looking around the scene, she tries to find anything of use to figure out who these evil men were.

After looking around for awhile, she heads to the pub for a drink. She flys in and sits on the bar and orders a drink.

Durksmurf
2012-07-16, 05:47 PM
Wheaty

[color=DarkGreen]I too came in late sir, with the second wave of guards. I was ready to fight, but by then they were all gone. I don't remember much else sir.

For memory use my passives.

Albub
2012-07-16, 06:15 PM
Veil

A breathless junior watch officer bursts through the tavern doors, drawing jeers and curses from the bar's nonhuman patrons. He spots Veil and heads over to her.

Miss.. Veil? I've been dispatched by watch command. There's been some sort of attack, many people are dead, many more are wounded. We need you back at the market district watch station to be briefed on the situation.

Wheaty

I'm just glad you made it through unscathed son, we're going to need every man we've got, and you're a far cry from the greenhorns they usually send my department.

You think back to the incident, but all you can remember are the screams of the dying and the smears of blood on the cobblestone.

Dragonal01
2012-07-17, 02:30 AM
"Sir, I've just remembered on my way to the scene I passed a civillian, who was acting suspiciously, too far from the scene to see anything, but not running away either, they seemed to be waiting for something. May I investigate further?"

Albub
2012-07-17, 08:06 AM
Harbek

I like your enthusiasm, but you're going to have to wait for an investigative team to arrive. I've got some of my best DoDT detectives en route to the station, they'll be taking you back to the market square to collaborate with our on-scene teams. This civilian, were they human? Barring a positive ID on race, can you rule start ruling out races based on what you saw? I know it isn't much to go on, but it might be our best lead right now.

Irish Musician
2012-07-17, 08:22 AM
Veil was sitting at the bar, trying to get over what she saw, when this young Jr. Watch Officer walks in and squeaks to her about the Chief needing her. Sigh, she thinks, I really don't want to deal with this right now. She finishes her sip, and looks at the youngling, staring him down for a few minutes just to watch him squirm. "Yeah, I'm coming. Look rookie, there are some things you see that you cannot unsee. And sometimes you need to stop and have a drink. Tell the chief I'll be right there." With that, Veil turned back around, and finished her drink. When she was done, she payed the bartender and flew out, heading to central command.

Albub
2012-07-17, 09:15 AM
The junior officer seems a little put off by Veil's cynicism, but is glad to have delivered his message so he can get out of the unfriendly tavern atmosphere. He runs off towards the temple district, towards the next name on his list.

He arrives at the door to Detective Ironfounderson's house, a beautiful whitewashed building not far from the temple of Moradin. He pounds on the door, but receives no response. He lets himself in, the house seems quiet.

Detective Ironfounderson? I have an urgent summons from watch command. Are you here, sir? Hello?

Voices coming from deeper inside draw him towards the back of the house, and the smell of strong alcohol assails his nostrils.

Sir? Is everything ok back there?

Suddenly the back room goes quiet. The junior officer enters and Carrot sits against the headboard of his bed with a broad grin on his face.

Sir, were you just speaking with someone in here?

Gillric
2012-07-17, 09:42 AM
Carrot Ironfounderson

Letting the junior officer wait while the silence hangs in the room a moment, Carrot flashes a huge grin. Speaking with someone? Whatever could you mean? And what does command want with me, I'm off duty tonight.

Albub
2012-07-17, 09:45 AM
The junior's face falls as he goes over the bad news in his mind.

There has been an attack, sir. We aren't sure who the perpetrators are yet, but... Sir, have you been drinking?

Gillric
2012-07-17, 09:50 AM
Carrot

Of course I have man, I was off duty. Carrot responds with a deep throated laugh.

Albub
2012-07-17, 10:30 AM
Ah, of course sir. You may want to grab something to eat then, as this is an urgent summons. I'm afraid your time off will have to wai-

The junior starts to blush profusely as he sees the shape under the blankets start to move. The girl has begun to giggle at the conversation between the two men, and the junior officer suddenly looks mortified.

I... Sir, I'm... Is that?.. My apologies sir, I... I didn't expect... I'll be going, then. Please, just head to the market district watch station and report to Kennan Tannerson, he'll brief you on the necessary details. Again, I'm very sorry sir, I didn't mean to interrupt anyth- I'll just see myself out now.

Gillric
2012-07-17, 10:44 AM
Carrot

Watching the rookies face turn red brings another laugh to Carrot. Well, he knows your here now, you might as well come out. As the rookie departs, a stunning head of thick blonde hair akin almost to a mane emerges from under the covers. Seems I have had my off duty status terminated. I should leave for the watch house as soon as possible.... In like 5 minutes.

Albub
2012-07-17, 12:32 PM
The junior officer is still blushing as he exits the house and makes his way back towards the station with a stupid grin on his face.

The rumours were true, he is what any watch officer should aspire to be...

Some time later, Carrot makes his way into Tannerson's office, noting three others inside. Kennan barks at him.

Good Gods man, you look like you just fought a drunken werewolf, and you smell like you fought it in a brothel. You've only been off-duty for a few hours, this must be a personal record.

The commanders face then darkens a little as he prepares to give you the bad news.

I'm sure you've heard something of it by now, but there's been an attack. Masked men hit the market square and started killing indiscriminately. The attackers themselves were nothing special, nameless thugs and imported muscle. Problem is, they were using scrolls that nobodies like that should not have had access to.

He indicates Harbek and Wheaty.

These two were there. They were late arrivals to the scene, thank the gods, or they probably wouldn't still be with us. It was a suicide attack, most of the guardsmen in the first wave of responders were vaporized in last-ditch attacks by the perps. These gentlemen got there for the tail end of the carnage, helped keep the situation stable. Harbek here saw what seemed to him a suspicious civilian on his way to the scene, and they were both instrumental in apprehending the sole surviving attacker. The man is in the dungeons now, resting up before the next round of interrogations.

He indicates the pixie with his hand.

This is Veil, and she's one of the best detectives the DoDT has, especially when it comes to nonhuman investigations. There is a theory that this attack was racially motivated, so we thought it best if we attached the both of you to it. Yes, she can shrink you down to her size, but don't get any ideas. We don't need any emotional complications of this investigation, and frankly, she's smarter than that anyway so don't embarrass yourself by trying.

Kennan cracks a wry smile, clearly very amused by his little joke. His face turns serious once again.

Way I see it, you've got two options. You can head down to the dungeons and try to get some answers from the attacker, gods know he hasn't been very helpful yet. Or, you can head down to the market square and start your investigation. Mind you, we have you on the payroll because you're good at thinking outside the box, not taking orders, so you're free to conduct this investigation as you see fit.

At this, he clasps his hands in front of him and awaits your response.

Dragonal01
2012-07-17, 12:48 PM
Personally sir, I feel I need to do a thorough investigation of the scene, I was pre-occupied when I was first there, and I have never been a 'people person' as it were, so I doubt I could get much from the suspect unless he responds well to electro shock therapy." A small smirk graces Harbek's mouth as he make lightning crackle between his fingers. "I also wish to follow up on the civillian lead."
Harbek then stands back to let everyelse say their piece.

Gillric
2012-07-17, 01:01 PM
Carrot

You have a prisoner? I would very much like to question him. See what he has to say for himself for disturbing my.... down time.

Irish Musician
2012-07-17, 01:05 PM
Veil looks at the Paladin obviously still a little drunk, not that she can say anything because she, too, is a little drunk, and smirks and winks at him when he looks over at her. She, sitting to the side on a table, lets her wings carry her up, as she hovers about shoulder height and floats over to Carrot's shoulder, landing on it. "Who said anything about emotions? If I shrunk him down, emotions wouldn't even come into it." She looks over at him, and the chief, and smiles a huge, mischievous smile. She then continues, "I can be quite persuasive when I need to be, I will go with the big man here and see the prisoner." As she says "Big Man" she kicks she shoulder pad of Carrot.

Durksmurf
2012-07-17, 05:49 PM
Wheaty

Cracking his hands Wheaty says,
I'll take a crack at getting some information and blood out of the local cults, they might be potential suspects.

Albub
2012-07-17, 09:34 PM
Tannerson goes white at Veil's flirtatious remarks, clearly worried that his little joke has backfired on him. He puts his head down and starts ruffling through sheets of parchment before pulling out a requisition form and busies himself with filling it out. Upon completion he scrawls a hasty signature along the bottom and stuffs the paper into the hands of Wheaty.

Right, you and Harbek should accompany these two to the dungeons, maybe learn a thing or two about interrogations. If you don't I'll have to, or apparently I'll have a breach of watch protocol on my hands.

He turns and fires a dirty look at the pixie perched on Carrot's shoulder.

These two are both master interrogators, I've seen them crack men who knew that to spill their guts meant death at the hands of their comrades. I can't think of a better pair to learn from.

At this he shows you the door. You make your way to the dungeons, showing the appropriate paperwork as you go. The jailor lets you into the cell. The man is shackled to the wall, arms held out in a crucifixion-like pose. The jailor pipes up.

Here he is, have fun with the bastard.

As the jailor leaves the man slowly raises his head. A twisted grin splits his face, but he says nothing.

Irish Musician
2012-07-17, 09:49 PM
Veil can't help but smile at the commander's reaction. Just what she wanted, perfection. She flies and starts down with the others, flashing the paperwork on the way down. Not like it is needed, because as they start to get near a door, the guard immediately opens it, knowing what they are going to do. Once they enter the room, the pixie flutters around, seeing the man with his crooked smile, hanging from the wall. She flies over and hovers in front of the man, trying to get a feel for him.

Durksmurf
2012-07-18, 05:55 AM
Wheaty

Flying up to the mans height Wheaty stares him down.
I hold up a scintillating multicolored bolt and say, You know why we're here. Talk bitch.
Intimidate check [roll0]

Dragonal01
2012-07-18, 06:07 AM
Harbek leans against the wall, closesly watching everyone, and listening to what the prisoner had to say.

OOC:
every time the prisoner speaks I'm going to roll Insight to learn more from what he says.

Albub
2012-07-18, 06:47 AM
The prisoner hawks a wad of bloody phlegm onto the floor.

Your healers didn't do a very thorough job.

He looks Wheaty in the eyes.

I'm not sure why you're here. You might be coming to make more idle threats, like my jailors do from time to time. You might be here to try and understand me, I had more than a few bleeding hearts down here that wanted to know what went wrong in my life to make me this way.

At that he snorts with derision.

I suspect you're here to trick me into saying more than I should, like the metal men from earlier. That was clever of you, it won't work twice.

He spits on the floor again, and goes silent. Then, he eyes Veil hungrily.

They haven't let me touch a woman in months, get the pixie to undo a few buttons and maybe I'll suddenly become more agreeable.

His wolfish grin has returned.

Dragonal01
2012-07-18, 06:59 AM
They haven't let me touch a woman in months

Who are "They" and what do you mean "metal men"?

OOC:
Yeah my check didn't go well.
Insight:- [roll0]

Gillric
2012-07-18, 07:19 AM
Carrot

Whoa there friend. There is no need for more violence. Carrot says while placing a restraining hand on Wheaty's shoulder.

Turning to the prisoner, If you just answer the questions, no one is going to hurt you and I am sure I can arrange for the healer's to pay you another visit.

Looks like I get to be the Good Cop :smallannoyed:
Diplomace: [roll0]
Passive Insight is 20 as well

Albub
2012-07-18, 07:31 AM
The man suddenly looks panicked.

'They' aren't anyone, it was a slip of the tongue! I wasn't talking about anyone.

He casts his gaze to the floor and mutters under his breath.

>DC10 perception
Well ****, you've screwed me again.

He then awkwardly turns his head to one side, pretending to try and scratch his neck against his restraints but taking far too long and making too much of an act out of it.

Gillric
2012-07-18, 07:40 AM
Carrot

"They" clearly means someone. If you want me to help you, then you need to help me. Stepping closer to the man and leaning in, Carrot whispers, And who is it that has screwed you again?

Do I need another Diplomacy Check?

Albub
2012-07-18, 08:11 AM
Ok, OK fine! I'll talk. They think I'm dead anyway, they won't know it was me. I don't know much, these guys were pretty good at covering their tracks.

The prisoner looks around nervously.

I'm uneasy man, these bastards have eyes and ears everywhere. They picked me up a while back, couple months ago. I had some real nasty gambling debts, more money than someone like me was ever gonna have unless I won big gambling, you know? I owed to some real nasty types, nonhum' syndicate guys. So one night these two gnolls are there, telling me about how they're gonna eat my balls and stop there if I'm lucky, that they're gonna go through my place and for every gold piece they find they'll let me keep a finger. Then outta nowhere this masked guy shows up. Like nowhere. I'm a shady type, I know how to watch my back, and I swear this guy wasn't there when the gnolls started shaking me down. The gnolls don't take too kindly to that, not too used to witnesses sticking around, let alone interfering with their business. He quiets 'em down though, with a few words no less. I thought gnolls only respected displays of strength. Anyway, he hands them a bag of money, pays off my whole debt. Said he owned me now, also said something to them about 'delivering the fire on time' or he'd pay them another, less pleasant visit.

Spilling this seems to be a cathartic process, though why it brings such relief to the man you cannot discern.

He takes me to a spot deep in the slums, like 'I'm the only human around and I'm about to get killed' deep. I start getting pretty damned nervous. When folks are that desperate they hate humans on principle, regardless of personal wealth or social status. But people seemed to keep their distance from the guy, didn't give him the death stares I was getting. Finally he takes me into this huge ramshackle building, and that's where I stayed until we carried out the attack.

He stops for a moment to gather his thoughts.

Not much else to tell ya. The place always had enough food and water for us, even if the quality was garbage. I met the rest of the guys who were taking part in the attack, I was one of the last they brought in. We were all rough types, no qualms about killing, but some seemed a lot more comfortable than others with the plan. The never told us it was a suicide attack. Well, not all of us. The guys that nuked themselves? The ones that went off like bombs when your boys got too close, they were fanatics. They had been there longest, musta been indoctrinated pretty hard. They knew what they were getting themselves into, most of us had no clue. That's why I lived, I saw the first few go off and put 2 and 2 together pretty quick, got the hell away from my group leader before he flashed up too.

Harbek
Suddenly it dawns on you. You remember that little nagging detail about the man on the way to the attack. He had an ornate clasp on his cloak, about the only detail that really stood out about him. The design on the clasp matches a tattoo on the prisoner's neck, a tattoo he was trying to conceal from you by pretending to scratch his neck.

Gillric
2012-07-18, 08:15 AM
Carrot

Have these gnolls got names?

Dragonal01
2012-07-18, 08:15 AM
Could you give us directions to this building?

When Harbek remembers about the tattoo, he approaches the prisoner, and exposes the tattoo.

"What about this then hey? What does this tattoo mean?"

Irish Musician
2012-07-18, 08:32 AM
Veil lands on Carrot's shoulder, listening to the whole conversation. Hearing the man talk, soaking in every detail of this story. Seeing if it his story lined up with what she knew of the scene she had seen so far. She then flutters down to him, hovering right in front of his face, smiles very seductively, and then takes her hand and touches one finger to his forehead. "Very good, thank you for the information. You are doing very well," her voice seething with seduction, she makes a pouty face and continues, "won't you please tell us a little more? It would help me out ever so much." With that last bit she slides her finger down his cheek and ends on his bottom lip. Then she flies backwards a little more and waits for his answer.

I am going to roll a charisma check, because there really isn't a "seduction" check. If you would like diplomacy I can do that too. Call it either Cha or Diplomacy, they check is the same either way:smalltongue:
[roll0]

Albub
2012-07-18, 09:09 AM
At first he seems reluctant to say more, to any of you. At the pixie's touch however, he seems to fight an internal struggle and lose horribly. He looks into Veil's eyes.

Oh sweetheart, you're gonna get me killed and I don't even know your name.

He turns to Carrot.

Don't know the gnolls' names, but I'm pretty sure they were brothers. I'm sure there are a lotta gnolls in this city with a brother, but these two would be pretty involved in the criminal element of the city. Illegal trading, sapient trafficking, gambling rackets. Tough bastards, enforcers, but pretty smart for dogbrains. They'd have paws in a lotta pies, you know?

Then to Harbek.

Couldn't tell you where the building was, I didn't get out much once I was there so I don't know the surrounding area. They threw a bag over my head before they took us to the market, didn't get to see the route we took. Head for the deep slums, where the real nasty sapients have control. If you dare, that is. Lotta goblinoids out that far, dwarf. They won't take kindly to you and your watch buddies.

He is starting to regain some of his sneer from earlier.

Like I said, I don't know exactly where it is, but once you hit deep slums if it isn't a tiny little lean-to made outta garbage it's gonna stick out like a sore thumb, just check out the biggest buildings you find and it shouldn't take ya long. The tattoo I don't know anything about, just woke up with it one day when I was at the compound. Maybe it's a brand or something? So if I escaped they could hunt me down? Oh, and the metal heads. You didn't know about those guys? I thought they were watch guys, buncha rusthead clankers came in and interrogated me earlier. Does it hurt to know that you weren't my first?

He sneers the last line at you, but then seems as though he's starting to realize just how much he's revealed to you, and grows uneasy again.

Hey human, you seem like the honest type. How secure are these dungeons, anyhow? I don't wanna worry about a blade in the back if you somehow botch this and someone important realizes I might still be alive.

Gillric
2012-07-18, 09:36 AM
Carrot

Well if your information is valid, these dungeons are very secure. If you have lied to us, they might not be secure at all.

Intimidate" [roll0]

Albub
2012-07-18, 09:48 AM
Hey man, I swear it's true! I answered all your questions, I told you what you wanted! Please, don't put me in with that dragonborn. They walked me past him when they locked me up after the last interrogation and I swear he was like 8 feet tall. He said he's been waiting his whole life to get locked in a cell with a 'juicy smoothskin' like me. What the hell does that even mean?

You can see in his eyes that he's very close to panicking now. Whether or not the last interrogators had gotten much out of him, they had certainly done or said something that was weighing on the man's mind.

Irish Musician
2012-07-18, 10:04 AM
"What are you so worried about honey? Did those other mean 'ol interrogators say something to scare you?" Veil says in her best pouty, seductive, condescending voice as she can. Then smiles at the man, "What is you name, by the by?"

Albub
2012-07-18, 11:01 AM
They were awful, don't you guys have rules regarding the treatment of prisoners? I... I don't want to talk about it. You wanna know my name? Come closer, I'll whisper it to you. I trust you not to tell anyone. If it got out that I'm locked up down here it would be very bad for me.

Gillric
2012-07-18, 11:10 AM
Carrot

Straightening up and taking a step back from the man. I will talk to the commander about your treatment here. This is a city of people, not savages and I will not have the watch acting like savages.

Irish Musician
2012-07-18, 11:13 AM
Veil, a little skeptical, hovers closer to the man, just at the limit of where she thinks the shackles are, so that if he does lunge at her, the chains will stop him. "If you show me yours, I'll show you mine," she whispers to him, trying to get his name from him, and seething with seduction and charm.

Albub
2012-07-18, 11:42 AM
The man swallows hard, his eyes glaze over at the pixie's suggestive tone. He whispers
To Veil:
If only, pixie. I'm Jonas DePape, son of Roy. May I ask a favour of you? I'm starting to think your watch will be able to keep me safe after all. Those two gnolls, they mentioned a watch pixie that was poking her nose where it didn't belong. It may have been a coincidence, but if that was you, and you run into those miserable bastards, make sure they are put in their place. The city will be a better place for it.
As she gets closer to his head, Veil can't help but feel like she is being watched. The man turns to address Carrot.

Thank you human. You're the first watch members to show me even the slightest shred of decency since I was thrown in here. I know I'm a monster, I committed atrocities today. But I'm a desperate man, have been for a while. I won't say I had no choice but to obey my masters, but my only other option was a painful death at their hands. When you're raised in a hard part of this city, the most unforgivable sin of all is to just give up on living. I'm done talking, my damn head hurts. Send me back to the jail and please, please make sure I'm not in or around a cell with that bastard dragonborn.

At this the prisoner hangs his head, staring at the floor. He occasionally casts a hungry glance at Veil, but for the most part simply seems exhausted.

Dragonal01
2012-07-18, 11:52 AM
Harbek steps back. "Don't worry, we'll leave you in peace. But one last thing, Veil, Wheaty, could one of you inspect the tattoo for anything magical, I find it suspicious. I'd do it myself, but I'm not well versed in the arcane arts."

Irish Musician
2012-07-18, 12:02 PM
Veil is disturbed for a moment, which usually takes a lot for her, and she looks around. She then nods at Harbek's suggestion and hovers down to the man's chest. Having some fun with the poor chained-up man, she gently unbuttons his shirt and looks at the tattoo on his neck, peeling back the shirt and examining it with her hands and getting quite close to him. She traces it with her finger, now very curious about it, and starts chanting some words and probing it as much as she can. Some arcane energy glows from her hand, and she hovers it above the tattoo, checking for anything magical.

Arcana Check: [roll0]

Albub
2012-07-18, 12:41 PM
Couldn't wait 'til the others left the room huh? Hey, what are you doing? I told you what you wanted to know! Please don't hurt me, I thought you were the good guys! He- oh, thank the Gods. I thought you were gonna kill me or something.

The prisoner seems visibly relieved that Veil meant him no harm, and settles down, enjoying the pixie's tiny hands on his chest.

Veil
The tattoo is very obviously magical in origin, which fits Jonas's story of being asleep and unaware of it being given to him. You should have been able to discern its purpose, but there is some powerful magic obfuscating your attempt at understanding. He was certainly right about his masters covering their tracks. You are able to sense that it is connected to another tattoo on his body, which will cause Jonas to explode should anyone but him lay eyes upon it. Shame, it was in a much more interesting location.

Irish Musician
2012-07-18, 01:01 PM
Veil finishes her scanning and lifts her head up to meet the man's eyes. She looks a little worried, puts his clothes back on (a little tigher than before), and hovers over to the others. "Well, I found something intersting, on him. No one is to look at this man's hips. I know that sounds weird, but he has another tattoo, that is magically connected to the one on his neck. If anyone other than him looks at it," she says this next part just loud enough so that her fellow officers can hear her, "he will explode and those around him will be caught in the blast." With that she stares at the others, quite seriously. She flies over to the door and calls over the jailer. "As weird as this order sounds, it will be taken with all seriousness. No one is to look at this man's hips, nor is he to be de-robed by anyone but himself. If he needs clean clothes, throw them in there, unchain him, and then leave and let him put them on himself, is that understood?" She finishes this order with much ferocity and power, she is use to having to make her points heard.

This whole time, she is deliberately ignoring the prisoner. Not telling him anything of what's going on.

Dragonal01
2012-07-18, 01:12 PM
Harbek also approaches the guard. "May I also reccommend that he is moved to a solitary, remote cell, so that if he is uhh..." (whispers) "Remotely detonated. There will be as few casualties and as little collateral damage as possible."

Albub
2012-07-18, 01:50 PM
Aye, that can be arranged Miss. Solitary could be arranged as well, I'm sure. The captain requested it in fact, he was worried the bastard'd organize a riot or some such if we put him in with the rest of the miscreants in lockup. Said to put him next to that nasty dragonborn, said the brute was fond of the man. Anything to make that murderer squirm.

The jailer smiles at the though of making the prisoner uncomfortable. Then, in the same hushed tone the detectives have been using:

What's this nonsense about a remote detonation? That bastard's not another suicide bomber is he? You'd think he'd have blown himself up with the captain in the room, wouldn't you?

Dragonal01
2012-07-18, 01:55 PM
(Whispered)"From what the prisoner said, he doesn't know what the tattoo is/does, and neither do we, other than it can cause him to explode ."

Irish Musician
2012-07-18, 02:02 PM
Veil, now looking as mean as she as thus far, stares down the guard, furious, and says, "If there is one more bruise on that man than there is at present next time I see him, I will have your hide, and your badge. We are not animals or the evil people that did this, so we need to act like it, and that includes you! If I see, or hear, of anything happening to him while he is in the jail, there will be hell to pay, little man." Before she can silence him, Harbek speaks about the tattoo. Veil rolls her eyes and shakes her head, and continues about the tattoo, "This information is on a need-to-know basis and you don't need to know. Just do as you are told and get this man into solitary, and when I say solitary, I mean completely alone. He is to have no visitors, unless it is the Captain, or one of us, do you understand me? We don't know the full details of his play in this, so until we do, he will be treated with respect and diginity. Am I COMPLETELY understood? When she first started talking of the tattoo she was quite quiet, but by the end, she was very loud.

She pulled Harbek to the side after the jailer had gone, and tells him as well as the group, "Look, we don't know what kind of ears and leaks we might have in the department, so until we figure this whole thing out, no talking of any information unless it is between us, or with the Captian. Understood? No one else will know what we know, unless that person is one of us or the captain."

Albub
2012-07-18, 02:07 PM
What will the bastards think of next! I appreciate the warning, I'll have some warforged wheel him down to the bottom level, should limit the meaningful damage he can do. If you could kindly wrap this up I'd be rather grateful. I'll have to take a little extra time to prep him for transport, and we've got another interrogation scheduled soon. Sanderson's in an especially foul mood today, I hear he caught his wife in bed with a pretty-boy eladrin. The last thing I need is him tearing my head off for wasting his time.

He laughs heartily as he walks away, seemingly unaware of how offensive his suggestion that warforged watchmen are disposable could be to mixed-race company.

Dragonal01
2012-07-18, 02:13 PM
"Understood, apologies for slipping the information, but I thought it best he not be caught unawares."
Hearing the guard's dismissal of warforged. "Now I regret telling the bastard. Warforged may not be organic, but they have the right to live as much as we do."

Gillric
2012-07-18, 02:14 PM
Carrot

Once the are alone, Carrot brings them all together and lower his voice to a bare whisper. If you are worried about leaks, can we even trust the Captain?

Dragonal01
2012-07-18, 02:27 PM
Harbek looks in shock at Carrot "If we can't trust the Captain, who can we trust? He's the one who brought us on this case to begin with.""

Gillric
2012-07-18, 02:39 PM
Carrot

We trust each other and we do our best to see that the law gets upheld regardless of who would like to see otherwise.

Dragonal01
2012-07-18, 02:46 PM
Harbek frowns "I can respect that I suppose, so long as justice is recieved at the end, but what should we do if we are directly asked by the captain as to our progress?"

Gillric
2012-07-18, 02:54 PM
Carrot

Carrot smiles, Be honest but guard your answers.

Durksmurf
2012-07-18, 06:23 PM
After Carrot leaves, Wheaty turns around and smiles at the prisoner. Bastard, you could have killed me. He then fires an acid orb at his tattoo and leaves the room.

Attack [roll0] For [roll1] Nonlethal( but at the tattoo) Damage.

Durksmurf
2012-07-18, 06:26 PM
OOC
Woohoo Crit so thats 22 base +[roll0] non-lethal damage. (still at the tattoo)

Irish Musician
2012-07-19, 10:31 AM
Veil starts to say something, when she sees Wheaty turns around, says something to the prisoner, then shoots an orb right at the man's neck, at the tattoo. Then starts to leave the room. Veil zips in front of him and points her rod inches from his face. "WHAT THE HELL DO YOU THINK YOU ARE DOING?!!! she screams, almost a desperate and screeching scream. The other's hadn't really seen her as mad as this, pretty much ever, and are a little scared and taken aback. She seemed to be radiating heat she was so mad. She continued at a increasingly loud decibel, "How can you talk of justice and then just attack a wounded, unarmed prisoner like that? Put your weapons down and don't make so much as a move. If one hair of yours moves, I will blow you away. You are under arrest, Wheaty. Carrot and Harbek, keep an eye on him." With her other hand, she pulls out some tiny shackles with the intent on shackling Wheaty.

Ready Eyebite if he resists at all.

Dragonal01
2012-07-19, 10:39 AM
Harbek pulls his rod off his belt, and you see the tip starting to crackle and glow with electricity.
OOC:-
Harbek readies his Lightning's Revelation should wheaty resist arrest.

Gillric
2012-07-19, 11:51 AM
Carrot

Hearing Wheaty's remark to the prisoner, Carrot whilrs around only to see Wheaty about to attack the defenseless man. In a flash, Carrot transposes himself between the two, the Acid Orb striking against his gleaming breastplate. As the Acid is still splasing, Carrot strikes back at Wheaty with his own weapon in an attempt to lock the man in place.

Immediate Interrupt: Guardian's Counter
The prisoner and I trade places and the attack now targets me. After the attack is resolved, I get to make a free MBA against Wheaty.

Hold Fast:
[roll0] vs AC
Hit: [rollv]2d10+5[rollv] damage and Wheaty is immobilized UENT (Mine)

Carrot's Status:
HP 22/51 Bloodied 25 Healing Surge 12 (0 used /11)
AC 23 Fort 19 Reflex 19 Will 20 Speed 5

THP 0

EFFECTS

ENCOUNTERS SINCE LAST EXTENDED REST 0

DIVINE CHALLENGE

DIVINE SANCTION

ACTION POINTS 1

At-Will Powers
Ardent Strike
Enfeebling Strike
Virtuous Strike
Divine Challenge
Lay on Hands (Wis mod per day (1))

Encounter Powers
Guardian’s Counter
Valorous Smite
Hold Fast
Call of Challenge
Divine Mettle (Channel Divinity)
Divine Strength (Channel Divinity)

Action Point
Second Wind

Daily Powers
Majestic Halo
Radiant Delirium

Item Powers
Vigilant Blade Broadsword (At-Will)
Vigilant Blade Broadsword (Encounter)
Versatile Plate Armor (At-Will)

Albub
2012-07-19, 01:06 PM
The prisoner's eyes go wide as Wheaty readies his acid orb. When Wheaty looses the orb, the prisoner closes his eyes and flinches away. The jailer either hasn't heard or is choosing to ignore the sounds of conflict coming from the interrogation chamber, you aren't sure which as he currently is not visible.

Durksmurf
2012-07-19, 03:33 PM
Wheaty

The attack missed.

What?! He murder loads at the square, and it's not like it would have killed him. Plus I know he knows more than he says. Trust me. Wheaty sheathes his staffs to show his non aggression towards the police.

For those who make a 15 perception check.
Before I put away my staves, I cast dragon flame mantle.

Durksmurf
2012-07-19, 03:34 PM
Wheaty

The attack missed.

What?! He murder loads at the square, and it's not like it would have killed him. Plus I know he knows more than he says. Trust me. Wheaty sheathes his staffs to show his non aggression towards the police.

Durksmurf
2012-07-19, 03:39 PM
Wheaty

The attack missed.

Irish Musician
2012-07-19, 05:07 PM
Veil is only half listening to him. She shackles him after he puts his weapons away, takes him over to a wall, and chains his shackles to the wall so he cannot fly away. "I do not care what he did. You are an officer of the LAW, not an executioner. You will now stand trial for assault and most likely lose your job. It is not up to us to kill this man in cold blood. He will get a trial, and only after he has gone through the justice system and found guilty, then sentenced to death.....then, and ONLY then will he be put to death. You are not judge and jury." Once she takes a moment to breath and steady herself, she hovers over to the prisoner. "I am in no mood, by the gods, if you are not completely honest with me, I will turn you lose to the city. And they will all tear you apart. I promise that no harm will come to you, if you are completely honest with me. We have already shown you we will protect you," as she motions to Carrot, "and thus far we have been honest with you. Now...what else haven't you told us. And before you answer, remember my promises," she pauses and looks him straight in the eye for a long moment, "both of them."

I don't know if I can do this untrained, but Intimidate none the less. I am not trying to actually intimidate him, I am just trying to make him understand that I am serious, so I think that would go under intimidate. But I am intimidating him with honesty, not muscle. [roll0]

Albub
2012-07-20, 08:28 AM
I...

The prisoner looks down in shame, he will not make eye contact with anyone, but pointedly avoids looking in Veil's direction at all.

I can tell you where to find the building. I wasn't lying about being blindfolded on my way to the market, but I have a good sense of direction. It wasn't too complicated until we hit the city, which I know like the back of my hand anyway. When you leave the gates you head West along the wall for about 5 minutes. I think it was about 350 paces, but that doesn't mean anything for you little lady, and the paladin is a tall bastard so just count out five minutes and it should be about where you wanna turn. Head North from there. The path isn't really clearly defined but that close to the wall it's mostly the more peaceful nonhum's so you don't need to worry about getting lost and mugged. Walk until you don't hear common anymore. I didn't understand what they were speaking but it sounded harsh, maybe orc territory? Then you wanna head West again until you see the building. These aren't exact instructions, but I was pretty fired up before the attack, I was focused. This should get you close enough to spot it easily.

He takes a deep breath.

And I know those gnolls. I'm worried that if you go after them as a lead they'll know I ratted. That's bad enough, but if they tell my new 'employers' I suspect there isn't a place in this city I could hide safely. Yeenoghu and Gorellik. If you do pursue them, make sure you bring them down too.

He looks up into Veil's eyes, shame etched on his face.

Don't get hu-

He catches himself and tries put on a gruff demeanor.

Don't botch this. Last thing I need is the only people in the city who'd do something to protect me getting themselves killed. Then who'd keep me safe from the bastards I'm sure they'll send to finish me off?

Albub
2012-07-20, 09:46 AM
Harbek
Suddenly it dawns on you that this attack bears a startling resemblance to the actions of a 200 year old cult. The Adherents of Myss, the Followers of Myss? You can't remember the exact details, but you suspect that any library in the temple district would probably have writings on the cult archived somewhere.

Gillric
2012-07-20, 10:41 AM
Carrot

With Wheaty now in shackles, Carrot relaxes and stows his weapon. Despite the fact that your little outburst got more information from the prisoner, you will still be brought up on charges. Maybe they will even find you a nice cell near the Dragonborn. With that, Carrot grabs Wheaty by the shoulder and leads him from the room. Lets go have a talk with the Captain, shall we?

Irish Musician
2012-07-20, 11:12 AM
Veil stares him down the whole time he is talking, soaking up every word that he is saying, mind thinking like crazy of anything having to do with the gnolls, or where int he city this goblinoid or orc district might be. When he finishes and he looks up at her, she sees genuine shame, and she thinks, worry from the man. He starts to say something, then stops, but Veil already knows what he was going to say. She smiles at him, places a hand on his cheek, and says, "You're concern is sweet, even if it is mostly for your own safety, but you will still be standing trial and you still will most likely be put to death, I am sorry to say. You seem like, maybe, somewhere deep inside there, there is a good man, hiding in the shadows....." She trails off and smiles a sad smile at him, knowing his fate is sealed, even if they save him from harm now. She leans in close and whispers, "Goodbye Jonas," to no one but him and then flies off, orb pointed at Wheaty, making sure he doesn't do anything.

Streetwise check to see about these gnolls and the place he is talking about. [roll0]

Albub
2012-07-22, 09:19 PM
The prisoner looks at Veil sadly.

Aye, but I'll feel a sight better being tried fairly for my crimes, and executed quickly and painlessly, than I would being killed at the hands of my masters for selling them out. I'll go out of this world with regret in my soul, wishing I'd never been born to inflict the pain I've caused. But at least there will be justice in it. Good luck stopping these bastards, you're going to need it.

With that the prisoner hangs his head, and stares at the ground. He seems to have accepted his fate, it looks as though a great weight has been lifted from his chest.

Gillric
2012-07-23, 08:52 AM
Carrot

Carrot escorts Wheaty to the Captain's Office. Sir, I would like to report that Wheaty here was caught attempting to assualt the prisoner. Myself and the others were able to intervene before he could succeed. Might I recommend a short stay in the cells amongst the prisoners to make him learn the error of his ways? Hopefully we can leave it at that.

As the last statement is spoken, Carrot looks hard at Wheaty, hoping the man can let it go at that.

Irish Musician
2012-07-23, 06:15 PM
Following Carrot to the office, "To say he tried to assault him is putting it lightly. Wheaty tried to kill him. I know that this prisoner is the most despicable of people, and that he will most likely be tried and found guilty and executed, but until then he us under our care and should not be mistreated. If we won't uphold the law, then who will? Wheaty should be suspended, at the least, and thrown in jail....." Veil trails off and stares at Wheaty, a very menacing look on her face, "....maybe with a certain dragonborn. We need to get a new recruit for our group any suggestions sir?"

Albub
2012-07-24, 10:58 AM
Tannerson massages his temples wearily.

I can empathize son, I really can. Hell, half the city wants that bastard strung up on the battlements. But this is not Cathay, or Barbar. We're a bastion of civilization here because we choose to be civilized. If we act like animals then the ones who planned the attack get what they want. I'm going to have to lock you up, let you think about what you did wrong. I'll have a cell prepared for you, away from the general prison populace. Don't make this mistake a second time. You do not want to have to serve a term locked up in there with the criminals, they can smell the watch service from a mile away.

With that he looks up at Carrot and Veil.

Good work thinking on your feet. I'm glad you had the brains to step in on the prisoner's side and not that of your fellow officer. I trust that the interrogation went well?

Irish Musician
2012-07-24, 11:25 AM
Veil nods her head, tearing her eyes away from Wheaty and stopping the death stare she is giving him. Landing on the Capatain's desk after closing the door to his office, she explains all of what the prisoner told them in a hushed voice. "Also...", she continued, "the prisoner said that the two gnolls, Yeenoghu and Gorellik, seem to be interested in me. He said that they noticed a pixie of the watch that was, and I quote, 'poking her nose where it didn't belong.' These gnolls don't scare me captain, but if we are trying to fight them and whoever this cult is, some back-up may be in order."

She seems to think for a second and then starts again, "I also think this information should not go outside this room. We don't know how leaky this office is, or how far up this cult has infiltrated our city. We should be on our best guard. It may sound paranoid, but I haven't lived this long with looking over my shoulder from time to time, esp when it comes to the underbelly of this city."

Once again she stops and pauses....then starts again...."One other thing Captain, Wheaty seemed to know that the prisoner hadn't, in fact, told us everything. Only after we saved his miserable life did he spill the rest of what he knew, which confirmed this. What I want to know is...." she looks at Wheaty again, "....how did Wheaty know that he wasn't being completely truthful?"

Dragonal01
2012-07-24, 12:35 PM
Harbek had been silent since the confrontation with Wheaty, standing silently contemplating how wheaty could be so fool-hardy as to attack the prisoner. When he hears Veil asking how he knew that the prisoner had more to say. Harbek just smirks and says.
"I doubt he thought that the prisoner had more to reveal, he just wanted to make him suffer. The fool. Also I have a hunch of who could be behind this but I'm going to need to do some research."

Albub
2012-07-25, 10:51 AM
I suspect he may have simply had a hunch, criminals have some very deep-seated instincts regarding talking to the law so you can't expect them to spill everything without repeated prodding. Those gnolls could be problematic. We've had our eyes on them for some time, as you know Veil, and they have been very good at appearing to be innocent. They might be a worthwhile lead, but we need leverage over them or it'll be the same racket about 'discrimination' as always.

Tannerson shakes his head derisively.

Regardless, it sounds like you have a lead to pursue in that old building anyway. And I'm sure there are other tracks to follow if that goes cold. I wouldn't worry too much about the watch being compromised. We'll always have some corruption within our ranks, unfortunately you only need to be strong in body to pass the fitness requirements. But we're better at fighting it now than we've ever been. And this isn't collaboration with some petty gang for profit, you're implying that some watch members are outright evil enough to join ranks with an organization that slaughters innocents. I'll increase security in the prison to prevent an assassin getting your prisoner, but don't let yourselves get so paranoid that you shut out officers who are legitimately trying to help, ok?

Gillric
2012-07-27, 08:55 AM
Carrot

Yes, we need more info to go after the gnolls. Looks like this building is probably a good place to start. Carrot turns to leave but then hesitates and turns back. And we aren't necessarily implying that anyone has joined with this cult or whatever it may turn out to be but that there could be leaks to someone else that has.

Irish Musician
2012-07-27, 09:23 AM
"I am not saying anyone is in straight league with the evils in the city. But not every officer here is as straight as an arrow, and the underbelly of the city pays good money for information, esp from the Watch. I just think we should be careful." With that Veil turns to Carrot, flys onto his shoulder, and seems to change demeanor immediately, "So, you big, strong, handsome thing you....shall we go find some more recruits, then head to this building?" Giving him a sly, and very mischievous, smile as she finishes, as well as the Captain.

Dragonal01
2012-07-27, 09:52 AM
Harbek nods. "Yes, I believe the best course of action is to head to this building, however, could we visit the temple of Ioun before we head there. I have a gut feeling about something."

Gillric
2012-07-30, 10:18 AM
Carrot

As long as it doesn't take very long, we can visit your temple. With that, Carrot salutes the captain and leaves.

Gillric
2012-08-07, 08:14 AM
Carrot

After waiting for the others to follow him out, Carrot leads the way to the temple of Ioun. Lets try to make this quick.

Dragonal01
2012-08-07, 09:11 AM
Harbek follows Carrot and when they are out of the building says to the group.
"I have a vague memory that something similar to this attack happened many years ago, but I need to check, and where better than the temple of knowledge?"