PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars Coneversion advice

Kato
2012-07-16, 02:40 PM
Hey there.
I'm trying to refine a rough draft of a Star Wars conversion for the Savage Worlds system. The system actually doesn't matter too much right now.

Since the conversion I could find is German and anything I added yet is German as well I don't think I need to go over everything right now but if someone is interested (haha) I'm sure I can find the time to get some translating done.

Anyway, at the moment I have two main issues:
a) Is there a lore example for what happens to a Sith/Jedi when they act "against their alignment"? Like, if a Jedi kills an innocent person or such. I felt like somewhere there was a notion of such a person losing their contact to the force and thus giving me the opportunity to penalize my players if they don't stick to their characters' rules but I can't seem to find any precedent for this happening. You are just not a proper Jedi anymore and possibly get removed from the order (as a Sith I guess you'd... just lose the respect of other Siths? I mean, there's no real Sith code you could act against even if you decided to help an old woman cross the street)
Of course I could just tell them "No, you're character wouldn't do that" but that's the worst way for me I think.
Long story short: How can I make my force users stick to their alignment? (I guess it's a very basic problem but I feel with Sith and Jedi it's more pertinent than with your average character)

b) Is somebody aware of a good source for some adventures? I guess I'll go and get myself a bunch of EU novels to get some ideas but if anyone is aware of a ready to adapt adventure it'd be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance for anyone who can help out!

Yora
2012-07-16, 02:49 PM
From what I know, Force Users never use their powers for "being out of touch" with their philosophy. There's even a couple of stories with sects that reject the whole Light Side/Dark Side idea completely.
But I can't remember any case of either Jedi becomming weaker as they slip to the dark side, or Sith losing power because they are not angry enough anymore.

Midwoka
2012-07-16, 09:17 PM
Jedi and Sith both teach their members philosophy along with the Force powers, but the powers don't rely on that. A Jedi who falls can still parry blaster bolts, jump amazingly high, push their enemies, sense changes in the Force... No, I think losing the respect of others is the only way to police the use of their powers. Along with experience penalties for someone who acts horribly out-of-character, of course.

I mean, there's no real Sith code you could act against

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me.
-- The Sith Code

Kato
2012-07-18, 02:44 AM
Thanks for the replies!

We also had a short discussion on he extent on telepathy a force user is enabled to but we decided to remove it from the skill set.

Also, I'll have to see how deadly a light saber will be... I guess if I stuck to the lore there would be hardly anything of an energy shield to stop it but to give normal people the chance to survive I assume I will have to nerf it a bit. It's kind of boring if every opponent goes down with one hit...

TheWombatOfDoom
2012-07-18, 09:31 AM
Thanks for the replies!

We also had a short discussion on he extent on telepathy a force user is enabled to but we decided to remove it from the skill set.

Also, I'll have to see how deadly a light saber will be... I guess if I stuck to the lore there would be hardly anything of an energy shield to stop it but to give normal people the chance to survive I assume I will have to nerf it a bit. It's kind of boring if every opponent goes down with one hit...

Have you ever taken a look at the Starwars D20 system?

EDIT: Just a minor detail, but your title might want to be spelled Conversion. :smallwink:

EDIT EDIT: If you want, for the light saber issue, you could do things with sword techniques to make things harder to hit. You could also use things like distractions to modify miss and hit chance. This way it seems more like a duel and less like a bam dead.