PDA

View Full Version : Injuries Per Day for various sized towns?

Lord Tyger
2012-07-16, 09:19 PM
So, in my current campaign, it's a low magic setting where divine magic is fairly rare. One of the characters is an Oracle with the Life Mystery, who is dedicated to helping others. Needless to say, this is going to get him a fair amount of (mostly) positive attention, part of which is going to be that villagers who injure themselves/are ill are going to come to him to ask for help.

I'm looking to get a rough figure on what sort of injuries, and how often, I should throw at him. For the record, the current village is quite small, no more than a hundred total, and mostly dedicated to farming/woodcutting/hunting, but I'd like to get a feel for what would be a reasonable amount in all kinds of settings, since they'll be travelling around.

Vknight
2012-07-16, 09:44 PM
Well just how skilled are these NPC's?
Do they have expert lvl's or commoner lvl's
And do they have skill focus

With those two things figured out an injury a day easy 5-10on a bad day
That is with experts

With commoners 5on a good day and over 15-20on a bad day

SowZ
2012-07-16, 09:48 PM
Well just how skilled are these NPC's?
Do they have expert lvl's or commoner lvl's
And do they have skill focus

With those two things figured out an injury a day easy 5-10on a bad day
That is with experts

With commoners 5on a good day and over 15-20on a bad day

Ehh, with a hundred villagers I doubt 20% of an entire population would ever be injured bad enough to need medical attention. Be it construction, carpentry, lumberjacking, etc. I've only seen a handful of injuries that need hospital care in years of working each and never incurred such an injury myself. I'd say a good day would have no injuries at all and most days no more than one, maybe two people hurt enough to come to you.

Maybe a couple more if this is counting diseases and not just accidents, but any day with more than a few people would be because of a big accident.

Vknight
2012-07-16, 09:54 PM
We have seen very different things then SowZ.
I can name several times where out of a group of 50adults 5-10needed to go to the hospital

Mando Knight
2012-07-16, 10:31 PM
Not daily, though. For serious injuries (not just stubbing one's toe or getting a nick from a knife), I'd say an average of about 2-5% per month, ish.

Lord Tyger
2012-07-16, 10:46 PM
So for a village of one hundred (easy math) that would be about two to five injuries per month. Average it at three. For a thirty day month, that would be an injury every ten days, or a 10% chance each day. So I might roll a d10 for each day they're out of town, and have one injury for every natural one. Unless I've messed up my math substantially there?

Seerow
2012-07-16, 10:49 PM
So for a village of one hundred (easy math) that would be about two to five injuries per month. Average it at three. For a thirty day month, that would be an injury every ten days, or a 10% chance each day. So I might roll a d10 for each day they're out of town, and have one injury for every natural one. Unless I've messed up my math substantially there?

Sounds reasonable enough. Though if the PCs move on to an area bigger than this small village, you may want to just start taking the average.

LibraryOgre
2012-07-16, 11:16 PM
1d4p per 1000 per month.

SowZ
2012-07-17, 12:21 AM
I can name several times where out of a group of 50adults 5-10needed to go to the hospital

It happens, but usually as the result of a serious accident if that many need to go to the hospital. If it is happening where 10% of people on a work site need to a see a doctor every day, that is a dangerous company that will go under from workers comp. if OSHA doesn't close it down, first.

Elyssian
2012-07-17, 04:35 PM
You could also take the general wealth of the area into consideration, such as if the area is truly impoverished then the equipment they workers are using is probably in disrepair whereas in a more wealthy setup they might have just upgraded there tools to increase production. In that case of low wealth I would up the number of workplace accidents. Maybe roll a +/-5% chance of a major incident at the sawmill that would injure several workers at once depending on quality of equipment?

Ashtagon
2012-07-17, 05:33 PM
http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/hea_phy_per_1000_peo-physicians-per-1-000-people

The USA has about 2 physicians per 1000 people. They probably see anything from 1 (for surgeons) to 20 (for GPs) patients per day. Call it 10 as a midpoint. So for each 1000 population, 20 people are ill enough each day to want/need a doctor. Or in the case of a fantasy world, a healer/cleric.

Calimehter
2012-07-17, 06:09 PM

Those must be some *awesome* parties. :smalltongue:

Edit - to the OP, like SowZ, I can't imagine that it would be more than a couple of people a week at most. In a village of 100, only some would be out working at any one time, and they would be the folks with the most skill at their job (i.e. least likely to hit themselves with an axe). Lumberjacking is fairly hazardous for folks with low skill modifiers and no OSHA benefits, but anything that gets to be much deadlier than the numbers above would simply be unsustainable for a small population.