PDA

View Full Version : Help with a puzzle

Twistedminds
2012-07-16, 09:59 PM
I am making a campaign taking place in a mansion with each room having a different style of puzzle/event/battle taking place. And I wanted to make one where one or two characters would be forced to lie every few sentences or so to mess up the group while they try to solve this puzzle/event. My only problem is I can't figure out what would be a good puzzle/event to actually make for them to figure out with that lying handicap.
Just wondering if anyone has any ideas of what I could do.

NinjaTBB
2012-07-16, 11:26 PM
If you make some of the PCs lie then the puzzle of identical twins might be suitable, depending on what they need to do in the room.

If you don't know the puzzle, it goes as such. There are two identical twins. One who always lies, one who always tells the truth, both are indistinguishable. They are given two paths (doors, buttons, levers, etc.) one leads to freedom, the other some ill effect. You have one question to ask whichever one you choose. In order to enforce that aspect you could allow them all to telepathically ask the question and receive the reply (note passing). If any of your players are good at riddles assign them to be the occasional liars. Or if there are two, make one the liar and let them figure it out (add silence spell to the room for more cruelty). That might be over cruel, but very effective.

Answer
Ask either of them "Which door would the other one say leads to freedom?" If the correct door is A, the truth teller will say door B (because that's the one the liar would say leads to freedom), and the liar will say door B (because that's not the one the truth teller would say leads to freedom). By asking that question they know to go to the opposite door they are told.

Cespenar
2012-07-17, 03:30 AM
Yeah, you can use the upgraded Knights and Knaves puzzle with the Truth, Lie and Random guys. That was supposed to be hard, IIRC.

Until, of course, the Cleric decides to whip up the Zone of Truth. :smalltongue: