PDA

View Full Version : Quick Method of Determining Racial Traits?

Zale
2012-07-17, 01:55 AM
Bad thread title, I know.

Is there any quick way of figuring out how to get the racial traits of a creature entry that just lists LA?

TuggyNE
2012-07-17, 02:30 AM
Bad thread title, I know.

Is there any quick way of figuring out how to get the racial traits of a creature entry that just lists LA?

Example? Surely you don't just have
Thingy
LA: +2

Zale
2012-07-17, 02:39 AM
Like Nixies (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/sprite.htm#nixie), for example.

Pilo
2012-07-17, 02:53 AM
Well it is easy:

Size: Small
Speed: 20ft, swim 30ft
Abilities modifiers: Str:-4 Dex:+6 Int:+2 Wis:+2 Cha:+8
(Remove 10 or 11 to get an even modifier).
Keep all special attacks and special qualities

Bonus feats: Dodge, Weapon finess. (B note)
LA+3

Zale
2012-07-17, 02:59 AM
Oh, so you get any feats listed as bonus feats?

Thank you! Now I just have to remember how to do this.

Pilo
2012-07-17, 03:44 AM
No, you only get feats listed as bonus feats as bonus feats.

There is a little "B" over the bonus feats you get ( http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/intro.htm#feats ).

On the nixies example, you get Dodge and Weapon finess as bonus feats but not Alertness.

Pilo
2012-07-17, 03:45 AM
Oh! and i forgot the Sprite bonus: All sprites have a +2 racial bonus on Search, Spot, and Listen checks.

Since Nixies are Sprite.

TuggyNE
2012-07-17, 03:54 AM
Well it is easy:

LA+3

Yep. Generally also you won't need any RHD, so it's just class levels and a +3 LA.

Oh, so you get any feats listed as bonus feats?

Thank you! Now I just have to remember how to do this.

Yeah, you get any bonus feats it has listed for free, as well as any racial skill bonuses and so on. (For example, +8 Swim from having a Swim speed, +5 Hide in water.)
You may want to check Urpriest's comprehensive and readable guide for future reference.

Zale
2012-07-17, 04:07 AM
Once again, thank you.

I'm sure the guide will be quite helpful! :smallbiggrin:

Featherman
2012-07-17, 02:31 PM
Well it is easy:

LA+3

Note however that the races generally presented as playable don't have all the abilities the "monster" has. Only NPC drow (or PCs using polymorph) for example get a SA for poison - it is not included in the racial traits for drows.

I am not sure would it be legal to apply this method to the monster drow again in order to get the SA though. Would make for an interesting poisoner race.

The Dark Fiddler
2012-07-17, 05:14 PM
Note however that the races generally presented as playable don't have all the abilities the "monster" has. Only NPC drow (or PCs using polymorph) for example get a SA for poison - it is not included in the racial traits for drows.

I am not sure would it be legal to apply this method to the monster drow again in order to get the SA though. Would make for an interesting poisoner race.

That's, uh... that's because they poison their weapons.

Featherman
2012-07-18, 05:17 AM
They do but it is listed as an Ex SA not possessions or treasure. Also the drow poison SA has other effects besides just giving them 1d4-1 doses of knockout poison as foes hit by poisoned weapons of drow can get knocked unconscious (even with the static and bad DC it could affect low fort or at least enemies who roll 1).

Most importantly it is a trait that the example NPC has (and what isn't a class feature, feat, possession or the like) but which isn't included in the racial traits. If you'd use the normal method of finding out racial traits you would get a drow race that has the unique poison SA but what isn't a part of the presented drow racial traits.

The Dark Fiddler
2012-07-18, 07:58 AM
They do but it is listed as an Ex SA not possessions or treasure. Also the drow poison SA has other effects besides just giving them 1d4-1 doses of knockout poison as foes hit by poisoned weapons of drow can get knocked unconscious (even with the static and bad DC it could affect low fort or at least enemies who roll 1).

Most importantly it is a trait that the example NPC has (and what isn't a class feature, feat, possession or the like) but which isn't included in the racial traits. If you'd use the normal method of finding out racial traits you would get a drow race that has the unique poison SA but what isn't a part of the presented drow racial traits.

Okay, so add the rule that you don't include any possessions or similar in racial traits when determining them.

Or, hey, give it to them anyway. Drow are pretty crappy as-is, and 3 doses of knockout poison isn't going to do that much for them, but it's something.

Urpriest
2012-07-18, 08:00 AM

I think the more relevant point to be made here is that WotC is occasionally atrociously sloppy with labeling things as equipment-based. The drow poison is one example, the Kuo-Toa's Pincer Staff is another.