PDA

View Full Version : Claremont Academy [IC]

Green Bean
2012-07-17, 04:02 AM
Claremont Academy. The most prestigious private school in Freedom City. Rumours still circulate about last year, when Claremont switched to an all-powered student body. If you believe the gossip, it was either an amazing ride or a barely controlled catastrophe. Either way, they're back this year and bigger than ever.

The weather having no sense of the dramatic, it is a bright and cheery first day of school. The sun is shining, and the birds are singing, unaware of just how much destructive power is being dropped off by car, by bus, or even arriving under its own power. As you arrive, you see a couple of faculty members. According to their name tags, they are VP Martha Durgan and Mr. Skylar. They split you by year; the middle school kids get sent to a new building on the edge of campus, while the rest of you are sent to Aaron Cage Gymnasium for the opening assembly.

New students notice that the gym is quite a little more...heavy duty than most. The floors and walls have been reinforced with what looks like titanium, as have the bleachers, which have been bolted to the floor. It takes a bit of time to herd all hundred or so of you in, and by the time the assembly proper starts, the student body has spread over the bleachers, with little cliques made up of returning students or the terminally outgoing. Here and there you see an oddity; a teen entirely encased in armor, or a green, glowing alien, but most of you look almost normal. You know, for a bunch of teenagers.

Once everyone arrives, Duncan Summers arrives, along with the rest of the faculty, and makes the opening speech. Most of it's the standard high school BS about your potential and responsibility. After an eternity, he finally gets around to a semblance of a point. "I see a lot of new faces around here, and we should all start to get to know one another. When I call your name, come down here and tell us at little about yourself."

Of course, the introductions immediately turn into a Claremont-style talent show. It starts with a sophomore named Paul Allen firing multicoloured bursts of energy into the stands and only gets stranger. The eggheads in the audience give a standing ovation to some weirdo who solves Fermat's Last Theorem on half a blackboard. A scrawny medium channels the spirit of Jimi Hendrix into a guitar solo the likes of which hadn't been heard in forty years. There are a few boring people that just stick with an introduction, but who cares about them?

Eventually, your name is called. Why don't you introduce yourself?

Starsign
2012-07-17, 01:52 PM
Alec began walking slowly to the school when he recalls that it is the first day of his first year there. It has been way too long since he's been to a school or academy of any kind. Much of his time was being tutored by Arion. Now with him gone Alec's option is to stay here. It shouldn't be an issue; he knows how to take care of himself. However is knowledge of the city is poor and had only been in Freedom City a couple days now. He knew he'd come off as rather... Off for being what he is.

In human form, Alec entered the campus and made his way to the gym. He is amazed at how reinforced it is. Has it gotten out of control frequently? He is worried of knowing. Sitting down among all these other students bothered him greatly as he is used to solitude that he and Arion had for so long. At the very least though, there are other students who come off very odd-looking as well. At the very least, he might not be too out of place.

However he did not want to introduce himself. How would he do it? "Hi, I'm a lich," and then drive the crowd literally insane? Arion had taught him discipline and careful use of his powers; remembering them will go a long way to fitting in. Alec really hoped that his name would be simply skipped but alas, that is not the case.

When his name is called, Alec walks up to the front without a clue what to do aside from an introduction. "Um... Good morning." His voice is a little rasp and shaken; more from the suspense and shyness than from who he is. "This has been... My first time to a school in... seven years. It'll be... Um... An interesting experience." He almost forgot about the idea to show his powers. He took a moment to think on what might be good before finding an idea. Good thing there's a lot of height. "I... Guess I should show you what I am. I'm probably the most... Inhuman thing here."

With that, Alec's human body and flesh begins dissipating into black mist until there seems to be nothing left but the mist. Next, the mist pulls back to cover the inside of the skeleton that remains. His skull, lacking it's teeth, is surprisingly animate-able for what it is. Alec had thanked his mentor for being able to allow him to show facial expressions in his true form. His voice remains the same as he speaks now. "I... Don't particularly like to show my magic, but..." He raises his hand into the air, chaotic energy swarms into it like a ball of power before throwing it high up and exploding. Being at such a low frequency, the blast is well outside being in range of anything or anyone. "That's the first spell my mentor taught me..."

With that, Alec switches forms back to his human self and leaves back to his seat. He feels guilty about simply showing off like that. Yet he is glad to have done that as an attempt to open up to the rest of the students here.

ripleycat
2012-07-17, 02:23 PM
People were staring, pointing, whispering. It wasn't as bad as she'd imagined it was going to be, but she could still see and hear them. Cori had occupied a couple seats worth of space near the bottom corner of the bleachers, her tail wrapped around her like a security blanket. She was bewildered by the school as much as she was her fellow students, having last been in a "traditional" school for 4th grade. How did people learn under these conditions? How could you focus?

"And you guys behave. There are a lot of people here, and I don't need you causing any more of a scene by biting people, all right? Be good through this whole assembly and we'll go to the pet store and get you some mice." She muttered, fiddling with one of her snakes. It was one part of the transformation she'd grown to accept, more or less. The snakes were fun, and treated her with affection. Most of the time, anyway. She could usually control her "hair," but there were still little snake brains up there, and they didn't always listen. It was an easy joke. Her hair really did have a mind of its own. Cori had a pair of mirrored, wraparound sunglasses over her eyes, and in the dark of the auditorium was actually using her snakes to see, watching the crowd and Mr. Summers at the same time. Her excitement to be around all of these amazing people quickly shifted into overwhelming anxiety.

Oh no no no no. Why? Why do we have to parade around in front of everyone? And all these people showing off. What can I do, except turn everybody into rocks? They're all going to freak out anyway.

As the rollcall inched towards her, the panic rose, until "June, Aaron" walked back to his seat after creating a raincloud in the rafters with a snap of his fingers, and Cori knew she was next.

"Katsaros, Corinna."

Damn it. Here goes nothing. Just tell the truth, maybe they'll enjoy it.

Gorgon uncoiled herself and slithered across the gym floor over to where Summers was standing. Sure enough, there were some shouts and screams, a lot of sudden talking, and some snake hisses from a couple of wiseasses in the upper seats, but it wasn't the end of the world.

"Uh, um, hi? I'm Cori, and uh, I was cursed, because the Olympian gods are total jackasses, so now I'm a, well, a gorgon. You know, like Medusa. I have these cool guys for hair, though, so I guess it's not all bad. Oh jeez, this is all really new to me, I haven't been in a school like this since I was really little. Um, I'm looking forward to meeting people, and, uh well, I promise not to turn anyone into statues."

That gets a few nervous chuckles from the crowd. Cori figures it's as good as it's going to get, and quickly retreats to her seat as "Knight, Laura" walks up the platform and is revealed as a magnetic controller, the microphone stand tearing from the podium and nearly smacking her in the head as she approaches.

Cori chuckles in spite of herself. See, it can always be worse.

smuchmuch
2012-07-17, 09:47 PM
In a corner of one of the foremost left row, a small teen has been sitting; hes wearing an used yellow parka and somewhat tattered pants. So far he's been keeping for himself, laying his head low, occasionally raising his head around to sniff around.
He does pay attention to the stage though as is shown by the occasional reaction. His attitude seems to be wary but curious. he nods his head to the music at the guitar solo, tilt his head to better see the occasional blast of magic or comic energy and, though likely no one notices, does give a violent hiss (but not on like a snake, a low one of warning) and seems to be rather startled when he see the snakegirl creature thing.

Hearing his name, Herbert Ward stands up, and gives some nervous side glance at his fellow student as he walk his way tot eh podium. standing there he seems even scrawnier, thin as hell, slightly slouching and pretty small

"I'm Herb'." There's kind of a weird squeaking quality to his voice and a weird implacable oldish but curt and awkward accent. Herbert get his hand to his hood and hesitate only for a tenth of a second second before removing it. Having to play the freak a few time at the circus has habituated him to three kind of reaction, but after the lich, the guy who can remove his skin and the gorgon, the audience probably had their content of shock and horror. So that leaves the other reaction."You's can laugh if you want" He shrugs; His face complement the already visible tail stub and the claw feet. it's not particular ugly per se, but it's a bit disturbing. Whether you find it funny or not is up to you... "I'm used to it."

And now what ? What could he do. Break into a run, claw the face of a few peoples in the way and leap out the window ? ...Kinda tempting actually. it would be rather easy, they weren't expecting him to do so. He could hide out in the sewers, deeper this time, where the light is never seen and it said there are dark things extracted from stratas below walking.. Whatever down there, could it be really worst that all those stares. looking at him. Judging.
.. yeah probably. But if they really want a demonstration he probably should do something.

Herbert raise a hand to the half blackboard clutches it. for a very short but horrible second there's a terrible almost painful screeching as he claws. He could have done a much larger sweep but his point as already made by the three deep tears on the black surface. (besides the noise is just as painful for him too, in fact more since he's close and has enhanced hearing.)
"I know. It's lame" The scrawny teen shrugs while looking at the crowd with a somewhat embarrassed expression in his large ruby eyes that turns to defiance. So yeah, he can't warp energies with a though or do magic, not everyone can bend reality at will, and he's ugly too and small. and he ruined a perfectly good blackboard. Wanna make something of it ? Bah.

"And I'm happy to be here" And y'know what, that was true enough. Maybe he'd make friends, maybe not. No matter what, it couldn't stink worst than the carnival, By a long shot. At least they probably didn't punish disobedience as hard. "S' all. I guess." he finishes awkwardly before moving back to his place.

SuperCracker
2012-07-17, 10:16 PM
Connor Lawson

Connor sat amongst the other students, but he felt incredibly alone. Many of these kids had families, homes to go back to. Connor had nothing here. He was adrift in an ocean of unfamiliar faces. His family was in another universe. All of his friends and team-mates were there too. Uncle Tony, Rick Jones, his science teacher Mr. Parker… all gone. Needless to say, Connor was not seated amongst any of the cliques that had already formed.

Quite frankly? Connor’s down in the dumps. The last few weeks have not been going well for him. And the worst part was that it didn’t even excuse him from classes, apparently. He let out a small sigh and spaced out, until a particular name was called.

“Lawson, Connor.”

He looked up, brought out of the thoughts in his head for a moment. He stood up and walked over to the microphone. He glanced at the microphone before looking up to the student body of his new school.

He stood up there, dressed in jeans, a black t-shirt, and a white and red jacket. He had golden blonde hair and the brightest blue eyes you’ve ever seen.

“Hi,” he spoke that too close to the microphone. He pulled back before continuing. “I’m Connor Lawson. I’m seventeen years old. I’m from New York.” He paused, reticent to talk about this, but everyone would find out sooner or later. “A—different New York than you might know.” He gave a smile, it was handsome and honest. “I look forward to getting to know all of you. Let’s have a good year.”

He started to walk away when there was a commotion. They wanted to know what this kid’s power was!

One loud kid shouted “C’MON, Lawson! Give us a show!”

Connor paused. He looked over to Mr. Summers, who would give him a small nod. Connor then made his way back to the microphone. “So, where I’m from, I was a part of a team. They called me…”

Connor turned his back to the audience. He then lifted his arms up. His sleeves came up, exposing golden bands around his wrists. He brought his arms up to form an X, the wristbands clanging together. When he did, his body lit up in a bright corona of blue light. A golden starburst emblem appeared on his back. He then began to float up into the air, flying on his own power.

His hands came down and spread out slowly. And forming from nothing, in mid-air with him, were metallic letters, connected together, forming the words “Captain Marvel.”

Connor turned in mid-air to face the student body. His eyes were glowing bright blue. He offered a smile, then floated down, letting the letters settle on the ground. When he hit the ground, the glow around his body and in his eyes faded, until he looked again like a normal young man. He then made his way back to his seat.

LoP
2012-07-18, 07:31 PM
The last of the new students had introduced herself, revealing her talent for psychokinesis, and had left the stage sheepishly after accidentally crushing the large heavy duty garbage can she had been levitating into a ball the size of an apple.

Duncan Summers returned to the microphone. "A useful talent, Miss Roderer; a novel way to reduce our waste output!" He said it kindly, drawing friendly, supportive laughter from the students and a smile from the girl.

"Now, for our returning students..."

The second year kids, who had already gotten over any shyness - and had worked out the kinks in their powers - from the preceding year came up to the microphone more confident; several had already planned out little performances to show off their powers. A green skinned alien boy gave up a dizzying display of teleportation and acrobatics; a girl came on stage followed by a swarm of fluttering, animated origami butterflies flying in intricate patterns around her. There was a definite air of competitiveness going on, each student trying to outdo the others in sheer awesome.

All except the beautiful blonde girl with liquid green eyes who took the stage next. She was dressed in the typical fashions of the day - perhaps a little TOO typical. Her layered look and trendy brands and accessories made her look almost like a teen catalog model.

She simply came up to the microphone and said, "I am Thetis, of Atlantis. Its great to be back, and I know it'll be an awesome year!"

Thetis turned to leave, when another girl on the bleachers laughed a silvery, scornful laugh and called out "Boring!" Thetis' head snapped like a baracuda in the direction of the laugh - of course, it was Daisy Gibbons, with her pretty face warped in a pretty laugh haloed by her pretty golden curls. She was surrounded by her clique of "Heathers" who snickered along with her.

Thetis simply smiled, and winked at Daisy. Right on cue, Daisy's open water bottle began rattling, as if possessed, and its contents spewed up in a mini fountain, splashing Daisy in the face. She sputtered and her face went red with rage.

"Is that more exciting for you?" Thetis said sweetly.

"Thetis!" Duncan Summers said sternly. Thetis sighed, and the water droplets drenching Daisy's face rose off her or vaporized without heat from her hair and clothes, re-condensing back in a stream to trickle into her water bottle. Daisy was as dry as before, though her hair had gone frizzy - and she was still sputtering with anger.

"Just sit down, Thetis..." and in an undertone "We'll decide your punishment later."

Shrugging, Thetis of Atlantis sat back down, ignoring the death glares Daisy kept lancing toward the back of her head.

Green Bean
2012-07-19, 11:50 AM
The assembly concludes with Arnold Zimmer creating a ten foot tall ice swan on the gym floor. Afterwards, the new members of the student body split into groups for the campus tour, each led by a returning student. Apparently someone named Ray was supposed to lead your group to your rooms, but he went mysteriously ran off during the assembly. Fortunately, Thetis is there to be dragooned into giving the tour in lieu of punishment for her little Daisy stunt!

You hit the debatable "high points" of the campus - library, cafeteria, classrooms, admin buildings - before getting to the dorms behind most of the other groups. As you're about to round the corner to your rooms, you hear voices echoing from your destination.

"So what's the deal with the getup?" Thetis recognizes the voice and tone in an instant. Terry Fischer, a-hole extraordinaire. As you round the corner, you see his two friends slash flunkies Mallory and Mitchell flanking him, talking to a student so heavily wrapped in clothing she (he?) almost looks like a mummy. All of you remember her from the introductions. Her name's Penelope something, and she didn't do a powers demonstration. She didn't even talk, just "spoke" through a voice to text app on her phone.

Speaking of which, Penny replies through her phone. "I need it for my powers." She doesn't look entirely comfortable with this situation, and sees the appearance of your group with something approaching relief.

Thetis definitely remembers Terry, Mallory, and Mitchell, three returning students who seem to have a bug up their rear about making their classmates miserable. They're worse than your average troublemakers because they're smart enough to do it out of sight of authority figures.

SuperCracker
2012-07-19, 12:28 PM
Connor Lawson

Connor recognized what was going on the moment he heard that voice. While he’d never met this Fischer kid or his flunkies before, Connor knew the type. Mix that with someone who looks different, and you have a situation that needs to end now. Bullying is never good, much more so when it’s a kid who’s a mutant – or something like that. Connor himself knew the feeling.

He broke away from the group, walking over to where Penny was standing. He stood next to her, eying down these three. “I think she looks fine.”

Connor had dismissed the starburst emblem on his back, but it would have fit right now. Whether it’s supervillains or just high school jerks, Connor will stand up for the little guy.

ripleycat
2012-07-19, 02:31 PM
For some of the others, the tour of campus might be old hat; a cafeteria is a cafeteria, after all, and while it's nice to know where it is, it's not the sort of thing that inspires oohs and ahhs. Cori, though, finds the whole thing fascinating, and pesters Thetis with far more questions than are really necessary. She seems a bit more at ease exploring the campus than she did during her stammering introduction in the gym. Perhaps it was because this particular group of students was heavy on the unusual-looking, so that she didn't stand out quite so much, or maybe it was her natural curiosity simply overriding her shyness.

Several times she does have to fight to keep her hair away from Herb, though. It looks a bit like someone straining to control an excited dog on a leash, except that there's no dog on the end of the leash.

As they arrive at the dorm, Terry, Mallory, and Mitchell earn themselves an immediate dislike from Cori. "Different" to her meant something to be investigated, perhaps even celebrated. Her globe-trotting upbringing had exposed her to a plethora of different customs and ideas, and hammered home the idea that what to one person might be strange and exotic was typical and mundane for another. She had little patience for those who tried to hassle and abuse those who weren't like them.

As Connor confronts the trio, Cori takes a different tack, approaching Penelope and starting up a conversation while acting as if Terry and his lackeys weren't even there, though her snakes give the three bullies a chorus of angry hisses.

"Hi! I remember you from the assembly. Um, it's Penelope, right? Or do you like Penny or something like that more?" She shrugs, then offers the covered figure a hand. "I know it bugs me when people call me Corinna. My parents only used my full name when they were angry about something, so it always makes me think I'm in trouble, you know? Oh, that was a really lousy introduction, wasn't it? Sorry, um, I'm Cori!" She grins sheepishly. She turns to look at Thetis while keeping her snakes focused on Penelope. "Hey, so um, do either of you know how the dorms work here? Do we just go to our room and start moving in, or is there anything else we have to do first?"

Starsign
2012-07-19, 03:32 PM
Alec speaks little as he and several other classmates take a tour around the Academy. Much of it is not very familiar to him and he takes noticeable fascination around each new area. For a moment he even stalls the group as he sidetracks himself at the library. It may have barely be a third the size of Arion's great library, but it is a wealth of knowledge nonetheless. Had it not been for some much-needed yelling from the group, Alec could have been there all day. For once it seems that things might be looking up for him. He doesn't even seem uncomfortable with the group he travels with. It is probably due to two other new students that are with him, a gorgon and a rat-man. If he can find the time, Alec will really want to talk with them.

Rounding the corner, Alec notices the young girl wrapped up like a mummy. He remembers seeing Penelope at the opening. Is she another undead? An actual skeleton, vampire, or ghoul using wrappings to hide herself? She seems... So shriveled and shy, much like himself. While Alec isn't one to usually get involved, he felt that he would be in a state of regret if he just ignored her. He walks in-between her and the bullies. "Pardon me," he says in a quiet, yet comforting, tone. He hopes that Penelope remembers him. Alec's eyes then turned to the bullies. He is certainly a little worried of them, but he has had a hard enough life before; three bullies means nothing in comparison. "May I... Ask that you leave her please?" Even when confronting someone, he can't help but be polite. "I-I don't see a problem being wrapped like she is. Please... Leave her." Those watching notices that Alec is more confident here than he was on stage.

More than a little tempted, Alec slowly goes to take a hold of Penelope's hand, as if to try and comfort her.

Green Bean
2012-07-20, 02:38 AM
Terry takes a step back and gives you a look of contrition that's as exaggerated as it is utterly insincere. "We were just wondering why Penny is hiding herself. Call it friendly curiosity. Mal has ten bucks on 'really really ugly'. I mean, even Mickey over there doesn't need to hide his face." He waves in Herbert's general direction.

Mallory, a dark haired, pale girl dressed in goth chic, casually leans against a far wall, repeatedly blowing a bang of hair out of her face. Mitchell, a well-built senior, looks at each of you in turn, not even bothering to hide the fact that he's sizing your group up. "Hey Thetis. Been a while."

Terry feints as though he's about to grab at the hood and mask on Penelope's head, causing her to jump back. "What's the harm in just taking a peek?"

SuperCracker
2012-07-20, 02:58 AM
Connor Lawson

Connor was liking these guys less and less. Calling a girl ugly for no reason. “Cut it out.” He warned quietly. But then Terry kept pushing his luck. He reached passed the Galdr kid, as if he were going for Penny’s hood. Connor’s eyes flashed bright blue and suddenly a wall of stone was created between Terry and Penelope/Galdr.

“Don’t touch her. Don’t mess with her. Don’t even look at her. That goes for all of you stooges.”

Connor points at Mallory, who had the longest hair, “Larry,” then the big guy Mitchell, “Curly,” and then to Terry, “and Moe. Seriously, you couldn’t be bigger stereotypes.”

Rest assured, Connor would never call them by their real names. They were now the Three Stooges, as far as he was concerned.

“Now bug off. I’m sick of looking at you.”

That New Yorker attitude.

ripleycat
2012-07-20, 03:47 AM
Cori goes from chatting amiably to trying to put herself between Penelope and Terry at a moment's notice. Her body language matches that of her snakes, and she reflexively bares her fangs at the older boy. She smiles as Connor lays down the law, and rises up on her long tail to peer down over the wall.

"But if you're still feeling grabby and clever, why not try me on for size?" Cori tips her sunglasses down just a tiny bit, so that her eyelashes are exposed, but her eyes themselves are still behind that all-important glass. "Go ahead, snatch 'em, see if you're quick enough. You're not scared, are you, tough guy? After all, 'what's the harm in just taking a peek?' Now you make your move, or you run along like the smart boy you aren't, and take your china doll and your brick of meat with you."

Intimidate Attempt against Terry, to get him to leave. [roll0]

Starsign
2012-07-20, 12:15 PM
Alec moves back along with Penelope as one of the bullies tries to pull her hood off. In an instant he also sees two students move in to assist the wrapped girl. As much as Alec wanted to say something, it seems that Gorgon and Captain Marvel has it sorted out just fine.

Instead Alec looks to Penelope who is probably frightened by the whole event. "We should use this opportunity to get you out of here," he whispers to her in a calming voice. "Do... Do you know your dorm room, or at least a safer place we can go for the meantime?" He waits to hear her response as he looks back at the bullies for a moment. If Penelope knows of a place to go, Alec and her will try to run for it while everyone else is preoccupied.

Green Bean
2012-07-21, 11:32 PM
Terry grins even wider. "Well, that's not very nice, is it? Little old me couldn't possibly stand up to all of you badasses, so I'll let all those hurtfut things you said slide. The forces of tyranny and censorship win once more. I'm out." He strolls off down the hallway, not a care in the world. Mallory and Mitch don't follow, but they do back off a bit. Mallory takes a moment to shoot a look of pure hatred at Connor. Where Terry looked contemptuous, she looks downright murderous.

When Terry disappears down the staircase, there's a noticeable decrease in the tension. Penelope seems to relax a bit when suddenly there's a familiar-looking blur of speed coming from the opposite end of the hall! Terry clearly ran across the lower floor and took the other staircase up! In an instant, Terry is standing next to Penelope and he reaches out his hand, laughing all the while...

Surprise round out of nowhere! In the interests of speed, I rolled your Sense Motives behind the screen to see this coming - Herbert and Connor can act in the surprise round, but if you want to stop Terry from demasking Penelope, you'll need to beat his initiative as well. Regardless of how that turns out, if the rest of you want to join in, and initiate combat, you'll need to roll initiative.

Terry Initiative: [roll0]

LoP
2012-07-22, 01:12 AM
Thetis was glad she had been saddled with acting as a tour guide - it beat most of the other punishments Old Man Summers sometimes dished out. And Thetis genuinely loved Claremont Academy, showing the new guys around with gusto.

Her group was an odd bunch, but then again they were all odd here. Cori was cool, and Connor seemed alright; Alec and Herb were pretty quiet, but Thetis figured they were new and shy (she couldn't believe she forgot and introduced herself to the group as Princess Thetis instead of just Thetis - commoners are always nervous in the presence of royalty!), so she figured they'd come out of their shell eventually, on their own time.

They had gone on ahead to the dorms when she stopped by a water fountain to get a drink ("...go on, I'm going to be here for a while..."a really long while), so when she caught up to them, she didn't like what she saw: Terry, Mallory, and Mitchell, picking on a girl.

"Hey Thetis. Been a while," Mitchell said.

"Not long enough," Thetis said, catching herself before calling him a peasant. She simply stared at all of them, hard.

Her tour group impressed her, quickly confronting the bullies. Thetis outright giggled when Connor called the three of them Larry, Curly, and Moe... not because she knew who the Three Stooges were, but because krrl'ay and mooé were Atlantian for various shark excretions.

Terry grins even wider after Cori steps in, her snakes hissing. "Well, that's not very nice, is it? Little old me couldn't possibly stand up to all of you badasses, so I'll let all those hurtfut things you said slide. The forces of tyranny and censorship win once more. I'm out." He strolls off down the hallway, not a care in the world. Mallory and Mitch don't follow, but they do back off a bit. Mallory takes a moment to shoot a look of pure hatred at Connor. Where Terry looked contemptuous, she looks downright murderous.

And Thetis makes sure to return the glare in kind.

She turned back to the group after they had left. "Those guys are prelnar, don't worry about them," Thetis said. She blinked when she realized none of you had any idea what a prelnar was. "I mean, they are idiots incapable of finding water in the ocea-what the-?!"

Terry had reappeared in a blur of motion, reaching toward's Penelope...

Ok, I think I'm caught up!

smuchmuch
2012-07-22, 09:31 AM
Herb follows the tour almost without speaking, though he does occasionaly wanders on the side, looking and sniffing around, taking a good mesure of the school and it's inhabitant as much as the others.
Herb kind of didn't want to take part in this at first. Partly because he was really hopping to achieve a fresh start here and not making enmies right the first day. and partly because, well to be honnest, while he's all for standing against bullies, he does kinda want to know what 's behind the mask as well. (Herbert may be quiet but he is still a curious guy. He probably would have asked himself, more nicely, at some point later eventualy, the three asshats just beat it to it.)

But Mickey ?!
It's not the worst name he's ever been called; by far. (It's a step up from 'vermin' at least) but it does have a dangerouly highly catchy quality. If it spreads, goodbye any chance of eve rbeing taken seriously ever. These three guys are going to be a huge pain in the ass; so...

"Do... Do you know your dorm room, or at least a safer place we can go for the meantime?"
"Wouldn't recomend it." Herbert say quietly, just stepping near the lich. "You show weakness. and they keep coming back." herbert had to endure way too many Terrys and Mallorys like people in the last years not to have a fair idea how they think. He closes his eyes and count on his fingers. One... two...
When Terry comes back in Blurr, Herb shoots an hand in the Speedster's path to spoil his fun (and make a sharp point about nickname calling) but he's to slow to touch

It' be probaly too much to hope for that it turns out that behind the mask Penelope is some kind of horrible eldritch darkness that eat the soul or maddens whoever foolishly harshed it's mellow but not the rest of the audience ?

Green Bean
2012-07-22, 01:38 PM
In an instant, Terry is standing next to Penelope and he reaches out his hand, laughing all the while...

...and shakes Penelope's hand. "Very nice to meet you. We'll have to get better acquainted next time." There's a blur and he's standing over by Mallory and Mitchell.

Gorgon and Connor hear movement down below; it sounds like a bunch of the other student tour groups have arrived.

Starsign
2012-07-22, 01:59 PM
Hardly an olympic acrobat, Alec doesn't realize Terry's little trick until he actually begins speaking to Penelope... And shaking her hand? After all the taunting and everything, this comes out very awkward. Alec works better under pressure and he is less focused once the pressure is gone. "Ah... Um..." He is at a loss for words at the moment. He decides that it is better if he talks with Penelope instead.

"Um... Penelope, can I take you to your dorm room... Please?" Alec's voice is soft and fragile again as he slowly reaches for her hand, lightly gripping it so long as she doesn't pull herself away from him. It is hard to tell because of his collar, but he fashions a small, kind grin on his face. So long as Penelope is alright with him, Alec looks to the rest of the group. He says to them, "I'm... Going to be back. Sorry for holding you all up," and then walks with Penelope down the dorm, looking for her room.

LoP
2012-07-22, 02:18 PM
Thetis (slowly) recovered from her initial surprise, her liquid green eyes narrowing into angry little slits. A rational part of her was glad her usual contingent of Royal Guards wasn't around - they'd have responded instantly to any super-powered threat to her person or anyone in her charge, and considering that the rest of the tour groups were probably now coming (not that she could hear them), that would have caused quite a scene.

Not that Thetis wasn't capable of causing a scene herself.

She hated their guts. Thetis continued glaring at the three of them, especially Terry.

"Ha. Ha. Ha," she said slowly, all 5 foot 6 inches of her stalking closer to the trio like a shark. She clenched her fists...

Hold me back, guys, hold me back!

ripleycat
2012-07-22, 02:36 PM
Cori looked from the troublesome trio to Penelope and back. "...What just happened?"

She shook her head and turned her attention to her new companions. "Folks are coming in downstairs. Let's head down. The Stooges probably aren't quite stupid enough to try something in a crowd. Besides, I want to see the rooms. Thetis?" She slithers over to get the Atlantean's attention. "Can we finish up our tour? Please? We can deal with the clown collective later."

SuperCracker
2012-07-23, 01:18 AM
Connor Lawson

Connor glared at Terry and opened the palm of his hand. A bright light began to form as energy pooled in his grasp. Instead of holding Thetis back, Connor was getting ready to join her. He was about to blast Terry in the face. He started to raise his hand to aim when he heard the groups coming up the stairs. He exhaled a sharp breath through his nose and let the energy dissipate.

“I’ve got your number, Moe.”

He says before backing off. No reason to get himself in trouble right now. And there would be other opportunities to put these idiots in their place. He gently reached out and touched Thetis’ shoulder.

“Got groups coming, come on.”

smuchmuch
2012-07-23, 06:44 AM
Herbert stand in a small awkward half second his hand raised, not exactly sure wnat happened and why. "So..no fighting?" Fine by him yet a faint impresion of having been had lingers

He was pretty sure there was going to be a fight or sat least that speedy guy would at least try to pull her hood off, steps comming in or not. So these bullies are smart enough not to beat the crap out of people in public. Apparently it must be badly seen around here an acount of the local authority figures giving a crap. Good to know.

Herbert give one curious glance at Penelope, wondering if she would show later,if asked nicely, but doesn't insist before putting is hand in his pockets and moving along to the rest of the group.
"about those rooms ?"

Green Bean
2012-07-23, 01:18 PM
Terry stares down Thetis and Connor, then very pointedly turns away. You notice Mitchell putting a warning hand on Mallory's wrist. They walk away as a group just as another student tour comes up the stairs.

Penelope points out her room with gestures. It isn't far from where you're standing. However, she stops Alec from dragging her off so she can get her cellphone out of her pocket. "Thank all of you for helping me. Those guys are jerks."

Thetis notices the other group seems to be heading the same direction you are; they're likely your roommates. You've all got your keys and room numbers. Will you go in, or hang out here for a little while longer?

Starsign
2012-07-23, 02:08 PM
Alec stands back as he notices Penelope doesn't want to bring her to her dorm. "Oh... Um, sorry..." He looks rather embarrassed now as he rubs the back of his neck. "I'm... Going to head to my dorm. I guess I'll see you all in class tomorrow." With that, Alec heads off to his dorm; one could wonder if he really want to see his roommate, or if he feels like he hurt someone's feelings too much to want to stay around and discuss.

smuchmuch
2012-07-23, 04:15 PM
Herbert look at Alec going to his room, the guy get flustered easily and looks even more intimidated by the new surounding than he is.
It's great to see a new place, new people,hell almost a new life but if feels like a big step, it's a bit scarry at the same time.
(Nervousness which is not helped by the hungry snakes that keep looking at him hungrily)

He should probably get to know the people better. This group look nice, kinda, at least they were quick to help that girl. Even if the snakegirl keep triggering all his 'fight or flight instinct' by her only presence. And the wet one talks a lot and seems very cheery. And the guy in red...
"So.." Herbert take a moment of deep reflection then look at Connor "Why did they called you Captain Marvel ?".

Herbert intend to stay in the hall a bit to see the other group arriving. then maybe he'll go into his room.

LoP
2012-07-23, 06:57 PM
It took some effort, but Thetis finally calmed down after Cori and Connor and everyone else hinted it would probably not be a good idea. She kept staring at the back of Terry's head, though, as the three jerks left.

"Yeah... tour... rooms... right," Thetis finally muttered, before her mood shifted a complete 180, just like the tides.

"Well, like I said before, the tour groups were organized by floor, so here we are... I think I got your room assignments here somewhere..." Thetis rifled through her tour guide info packet before handing each of them a little envelope with their room number and keys*.

"I'm right there..." she said, pointing at a room, "I'm already moved in, so I'm gonna hang out here and see who else is on our floor. Lemme know if you need help moving anything, I'm fairly handy at that!"

She notices quiet Alec trying to hustle off, and decides to intercede. "Hey, Alec, right? Probably see you sooner than that, we should hang out and get to know each other, after you get your stuff situated, I mean."

* I'm assuming the rooms have keys... though RFID cards or even biometrics could be cool!

Starsign
2012-07-25, 11:35 AM
As Alec was walking over to his dorm room, he stops to look at Thetis. "Oh, um... Maybe." He seems indecisive about what to do. "I need to get settled in for tomorrow though. Could we... At least wait until then?" He walks over to get his key from Thetis and then has a look at the group he will be with as classmates. "Um... Good t-to meet you all." He stutters a bit as he looks at Gorgon and her rather... Creepy hair. He tries to open up conversation with her.

"You... You said that the Greek gods were 'jerks'?" His voice slowly moves from slow and shy to a more educated tone. "I remember reading up the numerous details on the mythology. From the truth of it all, it seems that almost every Greek god and goddess was an insufferable 'being,' if one could even call them that. There was rarely decent people in the many stories I have read. I'm amazed how works of fiction try to lighten up the mythology."

There is an unsettling pause before Alec suddenly gives a look of surprise. "Oh! Did I... Um... Monologue there?" His voice is now back to what it was before.

ripleycat
2012-07-25, 02:15 PM
"I don't have much stuff, I think I'll be fine. Thanks, though! For the offer and tour and everything. It was really nice to meet you!" Cori gives Thetis a smile and a wave as she takes her key and starts to head towards her own room. She felt better than she had in a long time. Claremont might actually live up to expectations. It really was different. Sure, there were some jerks, but there were jerks everywhere. Most folks seemed really nice.

Gorgon doesn't notice Alec turning his attention towards her, as she's begun playing with one of her snakes. "Who's a good girl? Yes you are! Yes you are! Ah! What do you want!? Oh, uh, s-sssorry." She winces as the last word comes out in a hiss.

As the undead boy finishes, Cori smiles. "You kinda were, actually. As for them being jerks, I've read many of the myths and stories as well, and I know most of them are horrible people in those. I've only met one of them for real, Athena, and she did this to me, while telling me that I was getting off easy, even though I didn't do anything wrong! She even said herself that some of the others were worse than she was. So yeah, they're jerks."

As they talk, she opens the door to her single room. As expected, it's basically a broom closet with a bed and a window, but Cori doesn't seem to mind. "Cozy!"

She looks curiously at Alec. "So, um, what's your story? If you feel like talking about it, of course. No pressure!"

Starsign
2012-07-25, 02:49 PM
Alec listens in on Gorgon as she explains about the Greek Gods and her encounter with Athena. At this time, Alec is very glad to not to have met of one the gods before. He'd guess that any of them would scorn what he is at best; at worst he and his phylactery would be disintegrated by a bolt of electricity. At the very least, Alec is glad that Athena was honest... From what the snake-woman says anyway.

When asked about himself, Alec would have blushed heavily if he is able to. "Um, myself? I-I don't know where to begin." He pauses for a long time, looking around the room before his eyes caught Connor. Alec remembers about that boy coming from a 'different New York.' It's almost the same with Alec. He tries to avoid stuttering as he explains what he will about himself. "Well, I'm... Not from this dimension. I was born somewhere in North Dakota. I stayed there till the age of 9 and then..." Alec paused, unsure how to explain the next part. Technically he was kidnapped at that point in his life but he didn't want to mention that yet. "...I moved to New Jersey with my mentor, Arion. He is that dimension's Master Mage and a friend to both my father and to Eldritch... He's the Master Mage of this dimension, right?" Alec could recall meeting Eldritch early in his arrival of Freedom City, though he did not meet him for long.

"A-anyway, Arion gave me these robes for myself. He taught me my magic and how to control it... Eventually we tried to travel across dimensions and it... Backfired." Alec gives a sigh of sorrow at the thought of that time in his life. "We were separated. I ended up here and Arion is somewhere else... I know he is much more competent than I am, but I still fear for his safety." Alec notices how well he does with exposition and long speeches. Maybe he isn't as different as his father after all; it's a terrifying thought however.

Alec then tries to walk out of the spotlight by asking the ratboy about himself. "What about you? How did you get here?" Those paying attention to Alec's story notices he did not talk about his parents or how he became a lich.

Green Bean
2012-07-27, 02:55 PM
The other tour group starts to filter into their rooms. A few of them seem to be heading for your rooms, but before you can take a look you're distracted by the sudden arrival of Ray Gardner Jr, who was supposed to be leading your tour originally. He smiles gratefully at Thetis. "Hey Thetis, thanks for bailing me out. Something came up."

Down the hall in the floor common room, someone has flicked the television on. In other news, an apartment fire in the downtown area was successfully extinguished before it could spread. Seven people are in treatment for smoke inhalation, and city officials credit Next-Gen hero 'Bolt' for his help with the evacuation.

Ray looks a little sheepish, but segues into tour guide mode. "So, class starts after lunch, but it's just to meet your prof and pick up textbooks so they're only like ten minutes long. Curfew's at ten, and there's a student handbook in your room that you should probably at least glance at. I know Thetis gave a great tour, but do you have any questions?"

SuperCracker
2012-07-27, 03:18 PM
Connor Lawson

Connor was still a little pissed about the Terry/Penelope situation, so at first he didn’t respond to Herbert. But after a moment, he realized that he’d been spoken to, so he gave a smile to Herbert and answered him.

“Oh, right. My dad was a superhero. His name was Mar-Vell. His rank was the equivalent of a Captain. So when he introduced himself, they thought he meant ‘Captain Marvel.’ He died a few years ago, so I carry the name with me.”

Connor knew the name sounded cornball, but he didn’t care.

While the others spoke amongst each other, he took his room key and went for his door. He didn’t feel like being a social butterfly right now. Everything was too foreign and detached. He heard the news talking about a “Next-Gen” hero. Ray’s response made it clear what was up.

He started to open the door to his room when he paused. He did have a question.

“Are we allowed to leave the campus?”

Green Bean
2012-07-27, 03:42 PM
"Well, there's all kinds of field trips and stuff. But on your own? You'll need an adult to sign you out on class days, unless you're 18, but no one cares if you go out for lunch. There's a lot of nothing around the campus, though, so you can't actually get anywhere unless you have a car or superspeed. One of the fast kids will take lunch orders most days. Weekends, you just need to sign out and be back by curfew. Once a month they'll even charter a bus downtown." Ray's tone get vague and pointedly non-committal. "It's not like they track you, though. If you're not missing class or blowing up cars in Bayview, you probably won't get caught. Not that anyone here would stoop to such a thing."

Starsign
2012-07-28, 12:33 PM
Alec takes a moment to figure out if he has anything to ask Ray. Considering Connor had already asked about leaving campus, there wasn't much Alec could think of. "I-I don't have any questions, thanks," he says while looking at the door to his dorm room for a moment. "Um, well actually... What is Next-Gen? I have never heard of it before." Alec turns to look at Connor upon the mentioning of the latter's deceased father. Guess Alec isn't the only one with parents long-gone...

smuchmuch
2012-07-28, 12:50 PM
"Oh.sorry to hear that" "Mar-Vel"l is kind of funny name if you ask him (and 'captain marvel' sounds kinda queer) but who is he to juge ?

"Me ?" Herbert doesn't seem really sure how to react to being asked about himself by people he doesn't really know. do they want to make fun of him ?... It doesn't look that way. and no ne ever want to know about him. He guess if they told, he can tell them a little too.

"Used to live in a little town in Michigan. Srpings Creek. was okay. It was a while ago." He starts akwardly. It had came as a shock to learn it had been more than thirty years he'd be gone but maybe that explained why the details from before felt so fuzy sometime
"But I was taken away by the circus." Herbert shivers a bit. It's not just the bad memories it's... they used to say the ringmaster could hear when you talked about him, no matter where you were. It was just a supersition, like the way the used to say the central tent gave bad luck out of performances. But there's the way he would alway be there, behind you, silent, never shouting, barely ever talking he would just point to his caravan and you'd knew he was angry. maybe just because it's a superstition doesn't mean it's not true ?
"Don't want to talk about it. Escaped with others when we could." The details of that could have made a small story in itself.

"Found myself here. I had no money so..." Herbert shrugs, you do what you gotta do to survive. "That crazy woman caught me stealing. Tried to shake her but she folowed me in the sewers, I tried to scare her away but she wasn't impressed." The attentive observer might notice Herbert just saged uncomfortably just a bit. Someone is skipping the part where he got got his ass handed to him. Hard. "We talked. Send me here if I promessed not to do it again. S'temporary, I think. er...that's it"
With that, Herbert look around slighly unsure. was that okay or is he supposed to aks Thetis to complete some kind of chain here ?

With that another student arrived. Smells like sweat and smoke. Had the ratboy been paying attention to the newscast he might have made a connection but he wasn't so all comes to mind is a bit of curiosity.
However something out of the explantions do stick to his attention "There's a curfew ?" He close his red eyes a bit. That's kind of annoying for someone who is almost half noctural.

Green Bean
2012-07-28, 05:03 PM
Ray grins at Alec's question. "Sometimes I forget how many new students we have. Next-Gen is Freedom City's greatest hero team, though the Freedom League is a close second. Four of the youngest and greatest heroes of our time, led by a ruggedly handsome speedster whose intelligence and charisma is equalled only by his humility, fight to save the world from the forces of evil. Legend has it that they go to this very school, though their identities remain a close-held secret." He laughs and winks.

"And yeah, there's a curfew. For the high school, you have to be on the grounds by 9, lights out by 11. It's not like they go into your rooms for a headcount, though."

smuchmuch
2012-07-28, 05:19 PM
Just forgot to add that in the previous post:
OOC: it should be noted that Herbert recalling of the circus as a 'very bad place" might be heavily biased because he he had a lousy time here. Others may not recall it so badly.
Same for 'crazy woman' who brought in him. Who may be perfectly sane. (identity of her I still let to the Dm to decide. Surprise me)

Speaking of which time to meet the roomie.

Herbert vaguely nods to Ray gardner and Thetis, he's good with the questions and the tour for now, before moving to the door to his room. With some care he turns the handle, snifs a bit before going in.

Green Bean
2012-07-28, 05:31 PM
Herbert smells the presence of another student, the traditional 'eau de disused dorm room', and for some reason the greasy smell of oil-based paint. Judging by the scent, he's been here since before you arrived.

You open the door to see a freckled redhead about your age hunched over an easel. He's painting a picture; it's just in the outline stage, but it looks like two stick figures on a hill watching fireworks in a starry sky. Some of the firework patterns look like they were inspired by the flashier students at the orientation assembly. He starts talking without looking up, intent on his work. "Oh hey, you must be my roommate. Nice to meet you."

Starsign
2012-07-28, 06:04 PM
Alec nods to Roy about Next-Gen. "I see..." Alec takes Roy's explanation at face value; if there was supposed to be a joke in Roy's explanation, Alec did not realize it. "Well, I hope to meet their members someday. Thanks for the mention of the curfew Ray. I'll... See you all after lunch then." With a friendly nod, Alec turns and heads to his dorm room. He is very nervous about his roommate but knew he has to put up with whoever it is.

smuchmuch
2012-07-28, 06:16 PM
"I guess so" small akward pause"Hi."

Herbert enters quietly, not wanting to distrub the other boy in his work.
Herb look at the room, first a bit warrily then a bit more excited. For a few minutes, Herbert screw aroud the room a bit, looking into the corners, under furnitures, riffle through every drawers, looks through the window while playing with the blinders a bit, goes on the bed, moves and bounces a bit on it to test the matress.
He's not looking for anything in particular, just trying to get a feel of the room. He's not usualy that animated but it's been a while he had such a nice place for him. Well half of it, but still a definite upgrade.

Once he's done, aftera few minutes or so, Herb grabs the student handbook, lay on his bed and start reading. He gets through a few pages before finaly giving in to curiosity, He tiptoes behing his roomate to look over his shoulders and get a better look at the painting.
"Who are they ?"

Green Bean
2012-07-28, 06:35 PM
Alec saw someone slip into his room while he was talking with the others, so clearly his roommate has already arrived. You open the door to see your roommate sitting on his bed, leafing through a student handbook. He looks about sixteen, but tall and skinny for his age. He has dark hair and glasses, and judging from his chin is trying to grow a goatee. You remember him from orientation, he was the guy who impressed all the eggheads by solving some sort of ridiculously complicated math equation. Jeremy Lauks, your excellent memory reminds you.

A movement catches your eye; tiny flying robotic spheres are hovering around his suitcase, apparently using some sort of bright light (you're not a science guy) to unpack his clothes and sundries. As you watch, one sphere loads several heavy reference books onto a shelf above his desk.

Jeremy looks up as you enter and breaks into a grin. "Oh hey, you're the skeleton guy, Alec, right? I'm Jeremy, and it's nice to meet you." He extends a hand to shake.

---

Herbert's roommate remains bent over his work as you tour your new room, not even looking up when you start bouncing around on the bed. When you quiz him about his work, though, he looks genuinely excited that you asked.

"I haven't decided yet, actually. I was thinking about me, but then that might just be ego. There's a couple of teachers tha-aah!" As he was talking, he turned to face you and couldn't help but let out a bit of a yelp. Then he turns bright red. "Oh wow, that was really rude. Sorry."

smuchmuch
2012-07-28, 07:27 PM
"S'okay." say Herb who does his best not to sound a bit angry. He does alway feel a slight pinch in his heart at that kind of reaction but he learned to live with it by now.

He pulls his parka hood over the top of his head though, and take a few step back. It's just as well, too. So close, the paint oily smell was making him a bit hungry anyway, probably better to back off before he gets tempted to chew on paintbrushes handles. it's alway humilaiting when that part of backward but now innate instinct led him to do that kind of stuff.

Herb sits on the ground and tilt his head with the usual expression of those not bumb per se but not very enclined to symbolism exposed for the first time to modern art. Utter confusion mixed with a misguided desire to earnestly try to make sense of it.
"So you are two peoples looking at fireworks ?"

Green Bean
2012-07-28, 11:46 PM
Your roommate's earlier embarrassment is totally forgotten as the subject returns to the world of art. "Not exactly! The stick figures are just temporary until I figure out what to paint over them with. The important part was getting down those amazing colours from the assembly before I forgot the details! I just saw them and I had to get them down on canvas!"

"Inspiration can strike anywhere, and there's nowhere like Claremont!" He waves a brush in the air dramatically, but freezes as a thought dawns. "Like you! You look so cool! I have to paint you sometime! Not today, I'm crazy busy with the fireworks, but soon! Please say yes!"

Starsign
2012-07-29, 09:34 AM
Walking into the room, Alec notices his classmate on the bed. A moment makes Alec remember Jeremy Lauks, the guy who made Alec seem unintelligent. Based on Jeremy's opening conversation, he doesn't seem like one of those stuck-up jerks Alec has met a few times way back when he was younger. "Hello," Alec says as he manages not to flub his first line. "Good to meet you too Jeremy." He shakes Jeremy's hand. From there his words begins to shake around as nervousness kicks in. "I'm, uh... Not exactly what you call a s-skeleton. Please don't call me that..." From what Alec remembers from his time with Arion, his mentor has told Alec that calling a lich a "skeleton" is a huge insult.

Alec's interest changes to the robotic spheres that seem to be flying. "Um, what are these?" He looks at them with the curiosity of the young child as he bends down. "I've never seen a machine that could, Uh..." He finds himself lost with finding a proper word. The machines just fascinate him so much; it's a complete change from his magical abilities.

Green Bean
2012-07-29, 12:21 PM
"Sorry, man, didn't know." Jeremy seems genuinely apologetic. "In a place like this, sometimes it's hard to tell what to call people."

"Oh these little guys? They're just a little something I whipped up last year for the science fair. You see, the trickiest part is the lifting field. It works through..." Jeremy tries to keep the explanation understandable, but it's ridiculously technical and you can't make heads or tails of it. "Anyway, they're still a little temperamental, but once I get the kinks worked out one day everyone will have one!"

SuperCracker
2012-07-29, 01:03 PM
Connor Lawson

Connor was satisfied by Ray's answer. If they left the campus, there probably wouldn't be too many questions unless he gave them a reason to ask too many questions. Connor kept his reasons for why he might leave to himself -- but rest assured, they involved the same reasons as Ray's for having these outings.

When the Awareness called to him, he wouldn't be able to sit idly by and study.

"Thanks for the information, Ray." He said with a small smile before finally walking into his own room.

Today was stressful. It's all the crappiness of going to a new school for your senior year combined with being separated from everything you've ever known or loved.

He wanted a nap. Or to fly out into space for awhile. The latter probably needed to wait until nightfall so that everyone didn't see him and rat him out.

Green Bean
2012-07-29, 03:29 PM
Your room is empty for now, but you barely have time to put down your luggage before there's a polite knock on the door and your roommate comes in. He's a tall black senior you remember from the assembly, partly because he has an honest to goodness eye patch over his right eye. He meets your gaze straight on and sticks out his hand. "Hello. I'm Ike Henning. It's good to meet you."

ripleycat
2012-07-29, 05:25 PM
Cori begins moving her meager belongings into her room. Living solo meant missing out on the roommate experience (for both good and bad). It also meant not having to worry about turning that roommate into a large rock. For now, that was a worthy tradeoff. Cori removes her sunglasses and rubs the bridge of her nose, taking a few moments to enjoy looking around- with her own eyes, and without any sort of "shield," that is.

There's no standard bed in Gorgon's room. Instead, there's a huge red papasan chair in one of the corners where she curls up. A desk and a dresser are about all else there's room for in the small room. She carefully arranges a collection of little artifacts and odds and ends on the desk, souvenirs from her travels with her parents.

She coils herself up in her chair and pages through the student handbook for a while. Finding it as dry and full of condescending common sense "rules" as you'd expect, that doesn't last long. With a sigh, she puts her sunglasses back on and heads out into the hallway to see what her floormates were up to.

Starsign
2012-07-29, 06:22 PM
Alec finds himself a little lost with Jeremy's explanation. "Uh, lifting field? You mean like it creates a field of energy to control gravity?" The ability of manipulating gravity is how Arion is able of flying; Alec has no understanding of using such a kind of magic. He wish he knew how to fly. He always wanted to see space for himself. Sadly that just isn't happening anytime soon.

"What do you mean by temperamental? They have a mind of their own?" Alec's curiosity makes him ask many questions. "How is technology able to accomplish things that I only thought magic could accomplish?" His eyes widen when he mentions that and quickly looks to his roommate. "Oh, um... Sorry. I-I've never seen such advanced machinery so I'm not used to it..."

smuchmuch
2012-07-29, 07:46 PM
"...er" Herbert has heard his face qualified of lots of things, hell there are lots he could say himself when looking at this shame in reflective surfaces, but 'cool' or 'inspiration worthy' are not among the usual. That gives some cause for reflection.

'You're not... going to put some of me in the image and the then the picture gets older as I do bad stuff and it's all an elaborate ruse to steal my soul ?" Herbert hasn't much of a literary culture because there weren't that many books but what little he got and stuck made a definite impression. When you've been in a magical circus for a while, it's hard not to take fantastic novels at face value.

Green Bean
2012-07-30, 04:26 PM
Cori sees that the hallway is basically cleared out, aside from a few stragglers heading right for their doors. You do hear some signs of activity from the floor common room, though.

---

"Oh no, gravity manipulation is still a little over my head. That was more Sam's...never mind, not important. The propulsion system is good enough to counter a measly 9.8 meters a second a second." He makes a quick gesture, and one of the orbs flies over to him and falls into his hand. "I try to avoid self aware machines. Ethics and all. They're just kind of delicate. I have to take them apart at least once a week for repairs, and it's not something your average user can do."

---

Your roommate almost giggles. "How the heck would I do that? The soul catching I do is all metaphorical. Anyway, rats are awesome, and you're here so you must be awesome too. Please at least think about it?"

Starsign
2012-07-30, 07:05 PM
Alec still seems rather lost regarding the little machines and technology. "I'm... Amazed," he responds, clearly dumbfounded, to Jeremy. If there is a way the science whiz could teach him how such technology could work, Alec would love to learn it. "So, um... Who's Sam?" With Jeremy mentioning about this person, Alec is very curious at the name.

Green Bean
2012-07-30, 07:17 PM
You're not great with expressions, but even you can tell Jeremy looks really uncomfortable. "Sam...used to go here. To be honest, it's best you don't hear it from me."

"Anyway, you said at the assembly you could do magic, right? What's that like?" Jeremy tries to change subjects with the finesse of someone switching from sixth gear to first on an open highway.

ripleycat
2012-07-30, 07:24 PM
With the hall deserted, Gorgon decides to check out the common room. It seemed like they'd be spending plenty of time there, might as well see what it had to offer. Besides, she could hear people moving around and talking, and she was eager to meet more of her neighbors. As she wove her way down the corridor, her snakes, having been drowsing during her little break in her room, began to wake up. They seemed as curious about their new surroundings as she was, stretching out, tongues flickering.

"Oh guys, not now, please." Cori sighed and tried to reign in her hair. Some people thought the snakes were cool. Others did not.

LoP
2012-07-30, 07:27 PM
Thetis had simply smiled her dazzling smile when Ray thanked her for taking over his tour guide duties. "No problem... I know what its like when things get... busy."

While Ray answered questions, Thetis busied herself helping her classmates move their heavier things with her super-strength. She does pause when Ray explains who the Next-Gen are to Alec.

"Any rumors on when they'll be a team of five, Ray?" Thetis asks him, winking.

Short post, I know, but kids are a nightmare and I wanted to give Green Bean a hook.

Does Thetis have a room-mate? If she does, she'll probably pop into her room to interact; if not, she'll prob head to the common room where Cori is, or else knock on Connor's door, or both.

SuperCracker
2012-07-30, 07:33 PM
Connor Lawson

Connor sat his bags down and turned around, getting ready to flop backwards onto the bed when the door knocked. Right. Roommate. He turned and walked back to the door, opening it with a smile on his face. Might as well put his best foot forward.

The boy that greets him is tall. Connor has to look up. Without hesitation he shakes the boy’s hand.

“Nice to meet you, Ike. I’m Connor Lawson. Come on in, I was just getting things settled.”

He turned back around and started unpack his things. They were all clothes and items given to him by the school, since in this reality he had no possessions. Still, the clothes approximated the style he enjoyed. Good thing this dimension wasn’t into bell-bottoms.

Starsign
2012-07-30, 07:33 PM
Alec gives a confused look as Jeremy dodges the subject on Sam. The sorcerer wonders what it could have been about but decides not to press on the matter. Alec wouldn't want to have pressed the subject of his past; Jeremy might have had a similar experience. Alec hesitates when his roommates asks him about his magic. "Um, whats it like?" This is an interesting question, Alec has never been asked such a question before and is clearly tensed up about it. "Um, well..." For a moment he is at a complete lack of words and turns his back to Jeremy to hide what is now a look of sorrow.

"...It's horrifying." The words come out quickly and bluntly. "All of the magic my mentor taught me are based around one or two types of magic; the manipulation of chaotic energies and the manipulation of the mind and body." Alec pauses for a moment to look back at his roommate. "Arion taught me that kind of magic because it was so easy to learn it. As a... A lich, I could learn magic based around it with ease. I'm very familiar with it and yet I never like to use it, especially as a simple demonstration. The one you saw at the assembly is my safest spell. All my others usually have... Severe repercussions on those affected." His delay on his last line gave a clear signal that Alec is not kidding.

"So, if you were expecting me to show off more of my magic... I'm sorry." With a tone such as Alec's, it could make anyone wonder if he has had a life of torture. For a good four, unconscious years, it was indeed a torturous life for Alec.

smuchmuch
2012-07-30, 07:34 PM
"... Er" 'Cool' was already pretty unexpected but 'awesome' ? Herbert is starting to suspect his nexx roomie is a few colors short of a complete palette. but he's harmless and rather nice so far. Herb isn't to sure about this (maybe it's a very elaborate setup ?), but on the other hand if it's genuine he sees no reason to refuse. He can think about it at least, sure, no problem. "I guess... maybe kay ? later ?" he hesitate a bit while getting up and looking one last time, but not so much at the canevas so much at the hands holding the bruhes. "You're really into this." There's a question here: why ?, what does it make you feel like, but it'lll remain unasked for now.

Herbert take his bag pack he left near the door.
It's a bit dirty and bit teared in part but it's his, he bought it himself ! Well he stole the first day he was in the city and made later the stern promess he would pay for it one day and make apologies...Well maybe a few dollars and a small note, eventualy.
There's not much in the clothes department, a few shirts, two pants and some socks and some oddly matched underwear (hey he had to leave in a hury, you can take only so much, so he had to ...complete, one way or others). There's some trinkets, a lamp torch, a small knife (you'd be amazed at what people loose in the sewers without realizing) and even crumpled in a plastic paper in a small pocket, up to forty bucks (really surprised), they stay safely tucked in the bag, you never know when you might need to leave in a hurry. There's a few of books, and.. Herb takes the torn poster, not even looking at it. Why did he keep that ? Yet he can't trhow it away It can stay rolled up, stashed deep into a drawer along with two photographs.. and the memories.

Once he's done (and a small trip to the lavatory due to some anmal instincts that ask for some more .. noticable marks of ownership in his half of the room. but he's not that removed from humanity he would even remotly consider indulging) , Herb looks around and see it is good. It's not much (yet), really, but still, there's now that odd feeling this half of the room is his and that by extension he himself belong into the building. It's a bit scarry yet oh so comforting.

This done, Herbert lays on the bed and read a few more pages from the student manual.

Green Bean
2012-07-30, 08:26 PM
Gorgon arrives at the common room, but it isn't what you expected. You thought you heard at least a couple people hanging out, but instead it's just one guy watching I Love Lucy reruns. And the guy looks really old to be going to Claremont. And you're pretty sure the building didn't have a rickety balcony with an ocean view. And it shouldn't be sunset yet. Hmm.

---

Ray assumes a lofty expression that Thetis does not buy in the least. "The ways of Next-Gen are mysterious and, uh, mysterious. They may not be looking for members, but could be convinced if the person proved themselves somehow."

Thetis does in fact have a roommate!

---

Ike nods. "Thanks." He starts unpacking quickly, clothes in the drawer, books on the shelf. A lot of books, actually, with symbols and titles that scream 'I'm magical'. After twenty minutes of unloading his only suitcase his tiny bookshelf is somehow containing roughly fifty books the size of medical textbooks. Looking at it closely gives you a bit of a headache. He puts a picture on his desk; it's of him and a younger girl who could only be a sister. No sign of his parents, though.

---

"Hey, no worries. Science can be pretty dangerous too." Jeremy still looks curious, but isn't going to push after you were nice enough to drop Sam as a discussion topic.

---

"Awesome!" Herbert's roommate is so excited he accidentally smears his left ear with paint. "Aww, not again! But yeah, I love making art. Charcoal, clay, origami, glass, and I'm pretty decent at ice sculpture too. I want to be able to paint and sculpt and experiment like this every day, you know? Though I wouldn't mind if one day everyone knew my name. Uh, speaking of which, I'm Jasper."

The student manual is pretty dry. Aside from the campus map, most of it is spelling out rules common to basically every high school in America. Admittedly, most of them don't have an appendix spelling out the etiquette for superpower usage.

SuperCracker
2012-07-30, 08:33 PM
Connor Lawson

After Connor had unpacked (it didn’t take him long), he glanced over to Ike’s books. “Do you want some help unloading? I didn’t really bring a whole lot with me.” If Ike answered in the affirmative, Connor would start making himself useful.

“These books look arcane. It’s like something I saw once in Dr. Strange’s house.” After a sure-fire blank stare was returned, Connor shook his head. “Sorry, you’ve never heard of Dr. Strange. Let’s just say that he’s a magician with the big cape and lots of items with lots of adjectives.”

Starsign
2012-07-30, 08:41 PM
With that topic dropped, Alec nods and gives a sigh of relief. Thank goodness that one was avoided, for now at least. Alec now goes to unpack is rather low number of items. Mostly essentials that isn't food or water. As he unpacks he asks his roommate something, "Hey, um... Jeremy?" He felt a little uneasy saying his roommate's name for some reason. "D-do they have a pool here in Claremont? I had my tour but I don't know if we searched every area." For a moment he wonders, then asks, "Where do you like to go for your leisure time?"

smuchmuch
2012-07-30, 08:42 PM
Oh riiight, the ratboy did vaguely feel he was forgeting something. "I'm Herbert." Speaking of unasked questions yet. "hum.. 'f I can ask, why are you here ?"

ripleycat
2012-07-30, 08:54 PM
Cori pauses, staring at the TV for a moment before turning her attention to the guy on the couch. "Hi! This is gonna sound weird and a little rude, but are, are you a student? You don't, um, look it."

Gorgon frowns as she peers out the balcony that should not be, then cautiously pokes at it with her tailtip. Even if it wasn't real, it was very pretty, all the same. "And are you like, an illusionist or something, by any chance? "Cause I don't think this is how buildings usually work."

LoP
2012-07-30, 09:08 PM
Ray assumes a lofty expression that Thetis does not buy in the least. "The ways of Next-Gen are mysterious and, uh, mysterious. They may not be looking for members, but could be convinced if the person proved themselves somehow."

Thetis rolled her eyes, exasperated. It was pretty much the same answer, in a different form, she had been getting so far. "This person has already proven herself, what else are they looking for?"

Before Ray could respond, Thetis had turned away to help haul a kid's ridiculous number of bags ("spare parts") to his room. It was almost lunchtime, and she wanted to drop off her jacket and pick up her gear for her afternoon swim, so she headed back to her room, her half of which she had already carefully laid out to look and function like a typical college dorm straight out of some colorful Target catalog.

Let's see who Thetis is living with!

Green Bean
2012-07-30, 09:28 PM
Ike shoots Connor a grateful look. "Much appreciated. Don't open any of the books with the red binding, and try not to touch any of the ones with the blue. Trust me on this." He opens his bag a little further to give you access. There's only about thirty more books to go.

After the mention of Doctor Strange, he gives you a searching look. "You weren't kidding when you said you were from a different New York, were you?"

---

"Yeah, outdoors near the athletic fields. You much of a swimmer, with the, you know, bones and all that?" Jeremy looks a little blank at your next question. "For fun? The library, I guess. They've got a killer computer lab, and I hear this year it got upgraded even more."

---

"Oh, that?" Jasper sticks out his tongue in concentration and points at a clear-ish spot on the ground. The temperature in the room immediately drops. The floor frosts over and suddenly a chunk of ice congeals from the ground. It keeps expanding, until it's almost six feet tall and vaguely humanoid. And then the ice catches on fire somehow and melts back into a tiny puddle.

---

The guy on the couch stands up and gives Cori a jaunty smile. He's quite impossible to describe. Literally. You can see his figure, his clothes, his face, all just fine, but somehow it shows up in your memory as a whole lot of nothing. Honestly, you're not even sure if it's a "he". His smile comes through just fine though. It looks like a cat that just got the canary, the cage, and the rest of the house with it.

"Oh no, not a student. As far from a student as you can possibly imagine, and farther still." He laughs, loudly and easily, and walks by you, out onto the balcony, and beckons you forward. "But you are very perceptive! It is indeed an illusion. Entirely real, too, though, so come out here and we'll chat a bit."

---

As Thetis opens the door, you hear an unexpected soft *click*. By the time the door opens fully, your new roommate is facing you, hand casually held behind her back. Average height, with a wiry build and black hair clipped short. She's wearing a t-shirt, and what you can see of her arms are absolutely covered in tattoos, a canvas filled with somewhat disturbing imagery and Cyrillic script.

When she sees you, she relaxes slightly as if recognizing you, and there's a slight movement behind her back before she brings her right hand forward to shake. "Hello. I'm Victoria. You must be Thetis."

You recall her from the orientation assembly; she's new to the school and did not demonstrate her powers or even elaborate on what they could be.

SuperCracker
2012-07-31, 02:21 PM
Connor Lawson

He gives the taller boy a sheepish look. “Yeeaah.” He did his best to alphabetize the books. Though it got a little difficult when the titles were only in arcane symbols. And he certainly made sure not to mess with the blue books. Connor never did feel comfortable with all that arcane business.

“I am a Kree-human hybrid who also has a further mutation and I was unceremoniously punched out of my dimension and into yours by a galactic Titan bent on pleasing the embodiment of Death.”

A brief pause.

“You hit the weirdness jackpot with your room-mate, let me tell you. So... where are you from?" Yeah, that wasn't a jarring transition.

ripleycat
2012-07-31, 03:37 PM
Cori stared at the odd man for a moment. Though there was a disconnect in her brain when she tried to picture him, she was quite sure she'd never met anyone like this before. Was this a ghost? Another deity come to screw with her? Another student messing around? A teacher with a warped sense of humor? And how could something simultaneously be an illusion and "entirely real"?

"Um, all right." She followed him out onto the real-but-not-real balcony, and enjoyed the real-but-not-real sunset for a moment before asking "So, if you're not a student, why are you chilling in the common room of a Claremont dorm?"

Green Bean
2012-07-31, 03:54 PM
"Riverside." He grins at how prosaic his answer is compared to yours. "But I wouldn't worry about fitting in around here. This place seems to have a high tolerance for 'weird'."

---

Looking out the window, the outside of the building looks nothing like the dorm, a two story house of mud brick. There's a beach below the balcony, empty but hauntingly beautiful in the fading sunlight. "Why else? To talk with you. It's going to be a very big year."

smuchmuch
2012-07-31, 04:00 PM
"Ah. Must be usefull in summer" comments Herbert who alway feels a bit hot in summer days because of the extra hairs. "it doesn't smell like magic." comments Herb who is not an expert admitedly but he saw quite a few of it. "How do you do it ?"

ripleycat
2012-07-31, 04:29 PM
"Before we go any further, I just want to say that this is all gorgeous. I'm very impressed. So, um, a big year, eh? Is that a good thing? A warning? I've heard crazy stories about this place." Cori nervously fiddles with her "hair" as she talks, tucking a snake back behind her ear, only to have it move away as soon as she lets go.

"And if I asked, point blank, 'who are you?', would you be offended? Cause this is cool, but still really weird to me. I'm not used to the superpowers thing quite yet."

Green Bean
2012-07-31, 05:11 PM
"I've got no idea. I just woke up one day and my house had a blizzard running through it. The teachers say I'm probably a mutant though."

---

"Oh, this old place? Just a little touch of home I keep with me wherever I go." At your point blank question, he grins even wider. "Well, I would be a little offended that you'd forget your own family. Why, I'm your Aunt Nancy!"

LoP
2012-07-31, 05:17 PM
Thetis took Victoria's hand, not un-suspiciously.

"Hi, Victoria. And yes, I am Thetis. So, whatcha got behind your back?" she said, trying to peer around Victoria to get a glimpse.

Subtlety is not Thetis' strong suit.

Green Bean
2012-07-31, 05:42 PM
"Absolutely nothing." She has just a trace of an accent, but you don't know enough about surface geography to place it. She shows you both of her totally empty hands. You notice that under her tattoos there's a lot of scar tissue. "So, we're to be roommates..."

smuchmuch
2012-07-31, 05:50 PM
"Oh okay." herbert search some deep smart comment to make but find none, besides Jasper proaly want to go back to is painting.
Herbert reads a few more page from the student manual (possibly chewing a few corners because those oil paint smell are really making remiding him he's kind of peckish) before getting up and out of the room with a vague nod to his new roomate (probably already back in his painting) meaning 'seeya later'.

Herbert doesnt have a watch (he doesn't like the contact on skin) and no cellphone (maybe he should be getting one) but he assume there's still abit of time before lunch, so he can afford to walk around a bit

Starsign
2012-07-31, 05:52 PM
Alec holds up from speaking for a moment as he finishes unpacking and sits down on his bed. "Well... I'm not a swimmer. I uh, s-sink easily." He rubs the back of his neck. "I prefer the waters and rain to use as a moment to um, meditate." It isn't so much meditation as is it contemplation but Alec didn't want to use the latter word. "I like to do it to get some time alone to myself... It didn't stop Arion from surprising me every now and then..."

Alec's attention changes once Jeremy mentions about the library. His voice now more excited than usual. "Oh! It is? I really like it too. I wanted to see what arcane books they had there and... uh, what's a computer? Tech... nology wasn't as advanced back where I lived." He makes sure not to misstate "Technology." Had Alec's own world not become a netherworld, he might have known a more advanced Earth like this one.

Green Bean
2012-07-31, 06:51 PM
Jasper waves good-bye, but stays intent on his work. The hallway is empty, so Herbert has plenty of peace and quiet to consider his options. He can go see what's going on in the common room; it sounds like there's a few people there watching the TV. Or you could explore the campus. There's plenty of stuff that only got glossed over in the tour. The gym, the zen gardens, the classrooms, even the library. You heard the cafeteria's open, and the main quad is a very popular place for students who want to show off a little.

---

"Well, I'd probably check with someone before you use the pool for meditation. No idea what magic would do to the water." He pulls a little tablet computer and starts pecking away at the screen.

"They've got a bunch of arcane books there, nothing I could understand. I hear it's really really comprehensive, though. Computers are things like this:" He points at his tablet. "They're machines - they don't think the way humans do, but they can do things like math much faster than we can. Did you have abacuses where you're from? They're like that, except we've been improving on them for about five thousand years."

ripleycat
2012-07-31, 08:13 PM
"What? But I don't have an aunt Na... oh. OH!" The great trickster manages to make a snake blush with embarrassment. "Anansi!"

If she still had feet, Cori would be staring at them as she tries to find her voice again. The proclamation of this being a "big year" carries a lot more weight all of a sudden. She finally stammers out "It's an honor! I-I have to say, you're a lot nicer than Athena." Gorgon grins nervously. "But why would someone like you bother with someone like me? I'm not anything special, just someone in the wrong place at the wrong time. I-Is there something I can do for you?"

SuperCracker
2012-07-31, 08:23 PM
Connor Lawson

“Thanks.” He meant it. The assurance helped. “To be honest, before you came in, I was going to fly out into space and stare at North America for awhile. But since I’m still here, what is there to do at this school?”

Connor grinned a little mischievously.

Green Bean
2012-07-31, 08:31 PM
"Please, you'll embarrass an old man. I can't go around being an honour at my time of life." Despite his words, something tells you he's quite pleased at your reaction. But he quickly turns serious. "You're right, my perceptive friend, you aren't anything special. And that makes you more important than you can possibly imagine."

"Tell me, what is Athena to you? You've met her, she's spoken to you. Who do you think she is?"

---

Ike shrugs. "Your guess is as good as mine; this is my first day. All I know is that I can learn magic here, with teachers who actually know what the hell they're doing.." Some of the books start making chattering noises, and you swear you hear a growl. Ike pauses and murmurs a few words under his breath before smacking the bookshelf hard enough to shake the wall. They settle down immediately.

SuperCracker
2012-07-31, 08:34 PM
Connor Lawson

"Well, then I guess some exploration's in order. You can come along if you want to." He pauses when the books begin to chatter. It was like something from a Sam Raimi movie. Did Sam Raimi exist here? He hoped so.

"If not, I'll catch you later. Nice meeting you again, Ike." Connor smiled a friendly smile. He liked his room-mate. Down to earth despite the chattering books.

Connor stepped out into the hallway and proceeded to go for the nearest window. A quick flyover would tell him a lot.

Starsign
2012-07-31, 08:55 PM
Alec takes a look at Jeremy's tablet and the picture of the computer. "Oh, I-I think I recognize those; it just looks more high-tech than what I've seen." Alec holds off from saying anything for a moment, then asks, "D-do you want to head to the library before class begins? I'd like to have a look at some of those arcane books there."

ripleycat
2012-07-31, 09:29 PM
Anansi's reaction makes Cori grin, even the strange backhanded comment about being nobody special, yet very important. Her smile vanishes as his does, reliving the most unpleasant event in her life. "Um, I hate her, in case you couldn't tell. She was um, stiff, formal, like she hadn't talked to a 'mere mortal' in a long time. She was frightening too, and not just because of this, because of what she did to me. She was terrible, in the way people mean when they say 'great and terrible'. There are all sorts of stories and movies and things where she's the kind and reasonable one who helps people. I didn't get any of that from her."

"She also seemed... petty. I've read a lot of the old... well, it seems silly to call them myths when I'm talking to someone from them. Stories, I guess. And they use that word a lot to describe the gods of Greece. That they're petty and vain and cruel and worse, they're flawed just like mortals. I didn't get it until that night. I caused an accident. It was a bad accident, it damaged things that were sacred and ancient and priceless, but it was still an accident. I don't know, maybe that's just what she's like. You know, vindictive. I've read every version of Medusa's story I can find. In most, Medusa was a priestess of Athena, and she was cursed because Poseidon raped her, and that profaned the temple. How on earth is that something you punish someone for!?"

"She doesn't seem much like a goddess of wisdom to me, but I guess the scariest part is that she said she was going easy, that the other gods would have done even worse things to me, a-and I kinda believe her."

LoP
2012-08-01, 01:21 PM
Thetis didn't know what to think of Victoria - especially of her colorful tattoos and the scars they concealed. Atlanteans often sported such markings, but for the royal family, such baseborn modifications were considered taboo. Which is precisely why Thetis wanted one so badly.

"Yes, we are 'roomies'... is that the correct word?"

Thetis busied herself doing what she had come in to do: she took off and artlessly threw her jacket onto her chair, then pulled out her gym bag and made sure her swimsuit and other things were there. As she moved about her side of the room, she kept talking to fill any silences. Royal gala events meant that Thetis was an expert at empty casual banter.

Among the things she breathlessly asks are:
"Did you move in alright? I'm going to head to lunch soon, want to come with? It might be too much to hope that you'd fancy a dip in the pool afterward too... I don't have to worry about cramping up, so nobody usually takes me up on that offer. Where are you from? Do you know anyone else at the school?"

And of course, after the low tide of smalltalk, in came the wave, direct as always: "So what are your powers anyway? Do they have to do with your tattoos?"

Green Bean
2012-08-01, 11:15 PM
Ike shakes his head somewhat disappointedly. "Sorry, I can't right now, I have some wards to set up. Have fun, though."

The bird's eye view of the campus is quite nice. While Claremont is technically part of Bayview, its lands big enough that you'd have a hard time seeing it on foot. You see that the middle school students are just wrapping up their more heavily supervised tour. There's any number of distractions open to you; the gym, the zen gardens, the classrooms, even the library. You can hear music coming from the main quad, and there's bound to be some people who want an early lunch in the cafeteria. Of course, with your turn of speed, you could just hang out in Freedom City proper until class starts.

---

"Sure, just let me-" One of Jeremy's floating orbs lets out a plaintive beeping noise and falls to the ground. There's a slightly acrid smell in the air. "Oh, son of a-. It's that secondary coupling again. You'd better go on without me, Alec. This is going to take me at least an hour to fix."

---

As much as you can determine Anansi's expression, he's looking at you kindly. "Do you hate her?"

---

Victoria deals with Thetis' barrage of questions by ignoring them. The question about powers does catch her attention, and she thinks for a moment before answering. "No, and no."

smuchmuch
2012-08-02, 01:18 AM
Herbert put his coat on and his hood back over his head to protect from the sunlight getting higher as he steps outside the dorm. No Herbert is not a vampire and will not melt in sunlight but it too mcuh does hurt the eyes (as well as make him feel vaguely sleepy). Mornings and evening and winter's day are okay but at the aproaching noon at the end of summer season like now, it get a bit too intense for his taste, and he needs a bit of shade.
Feeling kind of slightly hungry and is walking in dirrection to the cafeteria who just ,wondering if he could take an early snack while there's no one else here yet.

Starsign
2012-08-02, 01:46 AM
Alec fails to notice the falling orb until he is able to smell the rather acrid 'scent' the orb gave as it stops working. He looks nervous as he sees the malfunctioned orb. "Um, secondary coupling? Is it that difficult to fix?" Despite asking, Alec knows the answer will be a "yes." With a heafty sigh in his arcane robes, Alec went off to the library. He knows there are some arcane books he can read over. Even if they may not be the kind of quality Arion's library might have had, these will hopefully be something worth reading.

ripleycat
2012-08-02, 02:21 AM
"But... I just said... yes! Yes, of course I hate her! She's a horrid witch who turned me into a snake monster for stepping on the wrong part of a temple floor!" Cori recoils a bit after her little outburst. "Sorry, you just asked a question, you didn't deserve that."

LoP
2012-08-02, 02:43 PM
Thetis could have handled any number of answers to her questions, any except a complete lack of them. She blinked, became consciously aware that she had stopped moving, and then exploded back into a flurry of getting stuff into her bag simply to fill the silence.

"Oh... okay."

Thetis loved meeting new people, and learning about them, and talking and discussing, because it wasn't something she got to do much as Princess of Atlantis. But the one thing she didn't know how to deal with were cagey talkers... she had no social skills when it came to getting people out of their shells. And Victoria definitely had one.

"Well, um... I'm gonna head to lunch. You can come with, or I guess... I'll see you later?"

Awkward.

SuperCracker
2012-08-02, 03:59 PM
Connor Lawson

As Connor took flight, he sped past the windows, the blue glow surrounding his form flashing by the others on his floor. After he reached the end of the building he peeled away and ascended, flying higher until he could get a full view of the campus. It seemed like a nice enough place. Reminiscent of the Xavier Institute, not the Avengers Academy.

He wasn’t hungry. He didn’t know anything about Freedom City. He really didn’t feel like going to class early. He heard the music from the quad, and could see something going on over there. Well, might as well try to develop a social life.

He rolled over in the air, his back to the ground, then he arced backwards until he was flying down towards the quad. There was a smile on his face. He was comfortable in the sky.

A few moments later, he was lighting gently on the ground of the quad.

Green Bean
2012-08-03, 01:20 PM
Thetis

Victoria nods. "I am not hungry. I'll see you later." She goes back to unpacking; she certainly likes military equipment chic for her bags.

Thetis and Herbert

The cafeteria is very classy for a school. Warm and inviting, with scattered circular tables designed to seat eight or so (though Thetis has seen them fit almost twenty). Giant windows keep the cafeteria bright and offer a great view of the Claremont's ground. The food's...okay. There are only so many balanced meal recipes you can mass produce, and while the staff does their best, after a month or two students are usually sick enough of "with carrots on the side" that they get a few meals a week from someone who makes a lunch trip into town.

Aside from the cafeteria staff, you see one or two random students and...one another!

Alec

The David Sloan Library is quite amazing. A three storey building of mahogany shelves and large study tables, touches of modernization abound with computerized catalogue searches and even a couple computer labs. The first floor is general access, but a smiling librarian glances at your student card and waves you upstairs to the restricted materials. Here, there are books on magic, as well as a dedicated connection to a loaned Sequoia supercomputer. According to the floor map, if you knew anything about computers, you'd be very impressed. As a student with arcane abilities, you have full access to this floor; other students require written permission from a teacher.

There are only two other students up here, and they have their noses buried in books. That's why you're the only one to see an electric-blue flicker in the frosted window of the Sequoia computer lab.

Cori

"I understand." He puts a sympathetic arm on your shoulder. "Like I said, it's a big year, and you should remember that the big decisions always look like little ones. You're going to set your path here, maybe for the rest of your life. But you ain't a god, so know that you can always change your mind."

"Now, is there anything else you want to ask your old Auntie before I send you back to school?"

Connor

The main quad is an open air courtyard smack dab in the middle of the main building, with benches scattered around. This looks like it'd be a popular place for breaks and lunches. There's a circle of benches in the middle, surrounding a statue of the school founder. It's a beautiful day. The sun is bright, but it's not as burning hot as it would be during the summer. Two teachers are sitting on one of the more distant benches, and there are a few other students scattered about, most watching the statue curiously, probably because that's where the music is coming from. The music continues, but it doesn't sound like it's coming from a speaker. It sounds more like someone's snuck an invisible 100-piece orchestra into the quad.

Starsign
2012-08-03, 02:48 PM
As Alec enters the building, he takes marvel at the library and it's multiple floors. Compared to the one in the actual school, this building is massive. It's size compares with that of Arion's grand library, only his looks much more arcane and exotic than the David Sloan Library. Regardless, Alec could lose himself in the massive amounts of books available. Even just on the first floor there is enough to satisfy the sorcerer for a long time. However above, on the second floor, is what Alec really wants to check out.

Heading up just after showing the librarian his library card, Alec finds himself at an utter loss in figuring out which book to read first. He just manages to pick out a documentary on undead as he notices a blue flicker in the computer lab. Book in hand, Alec heads into the computer lab. He knows the room will be almost alien to him but he has interest in knowing what this flicker is.

ripleycat
2012-08-03, 04:02 PM
There it was again. A big year. Big enough for a being as powerful as Anansi to take the time to come chat with her about it. That was a lot to handle."I will try not to disappoint you." Cori says simply, and she means it. "Thank you for this. It helped, it really did." She grins, then casts about for something to ask the deity. There were so many things she wanted to know!

Finally, Gorgon settles on "Can you tell me about one thing that will happen in the future? And, um, if not, where's the best place to get lunch around here off-campus? I'm kinda new to Freedom City still."

Green Bean
2012-08-04, 09:00 PM
The door to the Sequoia lab is unlocked, and you walk right in. It looks a lot like the other labs you walked past on the way in, rows of computer screens and ergonomic keyboards with a printer or two in the corner. Whatever a printer is. Of course, that's not the first thing you notice. The first thing you notice is that the entire lab is engulfed in what looks like an electrical storm. A corona of lightning flickers over the computers. You don't know much about technology, but you're fairly certain that's not normal.

It doesn't take you long to spot that someone else is in here with you. In a far corner of the lab, a girl types away feverishly at one of the terminals, heedless of the energy flying through the air. She's a stout redhead with wire-rimmed glasses and a truly hideous shirt. Do they even make tie dye Hawaiian shirts? She's muttering something to herself, but you can't quite make out the words from this distance.

---

"Ha ha, don't you worry about disappointing me, kid. It's you who's gotta look in the mirror." The sun is almost entirely below the horizon. "The future? Well, I'm no fortune teller, but I do know a thing or two about people. Let's see, in your future, you'll be called on, as a protector. I'd say yes; protecting the weak is never a bad thing. As long as you remember there's more than one kind of weakness."

As the sun fades, so does the strange room. The television, the balcony, even Anansi himself fade away like shadows without a light. You hear his voice drifting on the air as the god vanishes completely. "Oh, and try The Blue Mahoe over in the Fens. Best jerk chicken I've had in a hundred years."

Abruptly, you find yourself back in your room. It all feels like a dream. Except for the takeaway flyer for The Blue Mahoe sitting on your desk.

Starsign
2012-08-04, 09:33 PM
Alec finds his eyes wide open as he sees an electrical storm in front of him. At first he guesses that it is a magical spell being concentrated. However he later sees that it's coming from the computers... Somehow. Even if he knew nothing about them, something about this did not look normal. If such technology could exhibit such ferocious electricity, they shouldn't be used in the first place.

Alec almost leaves to warn the librarian when he notices the girl at one of the terminals. He could almost question her fashion style with that shirt and glasses; not that he is better when not in his arcane clothes. Despite the electricity, Alec begins walking up to the girl. "Um, excuse me?!" Alec calls out to her. "What are you doing? What's happening here?!" In the sounds of the electricity, yelling is the only way he can hear himself.

smuchmuch
2012-08-04, 10:04 PM
Herbert takes a long look at the tray in front of him. His nose confirms that the strange suspicious grey lumps swimming in watery sauce are indeed meat acompagnied by rock hard little green rocks that some will have to assume are peas. Then he grabs is fork and start gobbling it up happily like there's no tomorow.
We're talking about a guy who has already sometime been reduced to remains found under circus tent' seats and stuff of dubious origins and unsound nutirtional and sanitory value. By comparaison cafetaria food, any kind, even the the bland depressing and sometime slightly nauseating 'we subcontracted to the cheapest service avalaible and we're sure that black spot on the yogurt is surely nothing*' preparapred re heated kind is welcome as a king's feast (If the meal happens to be genuinely decent then it's a nice bonus). Maybe he'll gow out of it out of it in a month or so but right now for all his default, 'picky about food' is not going to be one.

Herbert arrived a bit early, there aren't many other students here yet, and msot table are free. it doesn't bother him much one or the other.

*Okay, so I have some bad memories from middle school/junior high restauration. That may have somewhat colored my views of that kind of services in general

Herbert isn't exactly a social butterfly, so he' s unlikely to take the initaive of going to someone else table and start a conversation by himself. not unless there's something that really gets his atention anyway.

ripleycat
2012-08-04, 11:00 PM
"Huh." For a few moments, Cori stood in her room, just trying to make sense of what had just happened. Anansi had told her she would be a protector. Claremont was of course the "superhero school," whatever they might claim otherwise, but Cori hadn't seriously considered that side of things. Her powers were dangerous. But then, she hadn't really hesitated to use them (or threatened to use them, anyway) when Penelope had been getting hassled, had she? And there were other things in her arsenal besides the infamous stare. Maybe... maybe it was something to think about. Some of her new companions seemed pretty well-versed in that sort of thing. Connor especially, but Thetis too.

Gorgon pinned the flyer for the Blue Mahoe to her bulletin board. She wasn't going to turn down a recommendation like that. Maybe she could grab some of these new friends and head down there on the weekend. Thoughts of food made her realize how hungry she was. The cafeteria was probably serving lunch by now, so that was where she headed.

LoP
2012-08-04, 11:12 PM
No worries smuchmuch, poking into other people's business is Thetis's job! And my own memories of school cafeterias match yours.

Thetis left taciturn Victoria to her unpacking in peace, hefted her gym bag and headed to lunch, passing by a cluster of lost new students in the hall. A bright "Hi! Lost?" and some simple directions and they were on their way to the quad, and Thetis continued on her own way, smiling the entire time.

Inside, however, she wasn't smiling. She was, in fact, a bit bummed. First, Daisy and her annoying face had tarnished an otherwise nice Claremont orientation/talent show; second, the scuffle with Terry and his goons; and finally, her unreadable new room-mate. Not exactly what she had expected for the first day of a new year at school.

Her glum thoughts accompanied her all the way to the cafeteria, which was near empty - not a sign of any of her friends and therefore no one to vent to. Well, at least she recognized the rat boy from her floor, busily scarfing up what looked like beef teriyaki and those greatly hated peas.

"Hi!" she said brightly. "Mind if I join you?" And of course he wouldn't mind, so before he could say so she plopped herself across from him, pulling her own tupperware packed lunch out (the Atlantean embassy couriered prepared meals over weekly, after she had complained daily to her father via aquaphone to the point she almost drove him out of his royal mind).

Mmm, brined, preserved shark and pickled kelp fronds and holdfasts, sprinkled with crunchy, flavorful shrimp shells. The smell of fish and salt is overpowering, especially for Herbert. She dug into her food as rapaciously as Herbert, surface-dweller table manners being a skill she only used when she had to.

"Rwont somm?" Thetis asked around a mouthful of shark.

Green Bean
2012-08-05, 01:24 PM
Alec

The girl doesn't respond, but as you close in you can hear her muttering to herself. "......children answer for sins of father. ignored the four corners of campus, evil feeds from it. four is the key. four corners four founders four eyes, lurking in trans-space, four to the fourth hidden in electrical impulses. proof is here proof HAS TO BE HERE show them..."

Herbert, Cori, and Thetis

Herbert and Thetis have settled down for lunch, and Cori has just arrived. Suddenly, there's a loud (human...ish) roar that sounds like it's coming from outside. And then there's a *tinkle* as something comes crashing in through the window! At first glance it looks like a giant pink blob, but you realize quickly that it's some kind of bizarre energy construct. Glowing pink and roughly humanoid, it looks about four feet tall, but it's hunched over quite a bit. It lets out a mighty roar and stomps its feet, cracking tiles and even denting the reinforced floor underneath.

"WANT FOOD!"

Starsign
2012-08-05, 01:37 PM
As Alec closes in, he hears what the girl is saying. Much of it is cryptic and confusing. Not that Alec is new to cryptic messages but he isn't exactly the best puzzle-solver in Claremont. He isn't sure if she is trying to be a vigilante or a hacker... Or possibly both. Either way Alec wants to know more. He places his left hand on her left shoulder. "Um, sins of father? Four is the key? Fourth lying in trans-space?" Alec presumes that 'trans-space' refers to something like a hidden dimension where he keeps his phylactery. "Hello?" For a moment Alec gets the feeling the girl can't hear him. "Do you need help?" The girl does seem to be in a bit of a morally ambiguous situation at the moment so helping her may prove to be a problem for Alec.

ripleycat
2012-08-05, 02:04 PM
Gorgon spotted Herbert and Thetis as she scanned the crowd, and slid over to say hi before she got into line to get her food. At least there would be people to talk to during lunch. Before she could say anything, there was an earsplitting roar and the crash of broken glass.

Cori was entirely unsure what to make of the strange little figure. The pink being was obviously immensely strong, made of some kind of... energy? It didn't look like it had bones or muscles or any of that. "Are things always like this around here?" She asked Thetis under her breath as the thing roared and stomped around.

"Well, OK. Come on then. I'm getting food too." Cori waved towards the line. Maybe it was just another student trying to be the center of attention. It hadn't actually tried to hurt anyone, it was just being loud and annoying.

Diplomacy: [roll0]

smuchmuch
2012-08-05, 09:11 PM
Surprisingly, for someone who generaly doesn't get that much spontaneous compagny, the rat boy just nods keeping his nose over his plate and doesn''t seem to shy that a girl sitted near him as you might expect (though on the inside he does briefly worry: he's been send in a school way over his means, his roomate find him 'cool' and 'awesome', people sits at his table voluntarily... when the other shoe drops it will be made of cement).

Maybe it's because Thetis kind of remind him of Whisp, pretty, blonde, energetic, outgoing ... probably just as bossy at times. Smell is very different though, reminds hiwm fo the wharf, salt and a hint of fish, although it kind of hard to tell at the moment because it gets overpowered by her lunch. or maybe he's just a cool kind kind of guy.

"Rwont somm?"

Herbert carefully considers before even accepting the offer. on one hand, he's alway been for trying new stuff, on the other hand this thing doesn't so much smell of seafood as much as it almost make him feel like someone has sandbelted the interior of his nose with salt then washed it with seawater. "...sure. thanks" with a claw he tears a small strip of shark flesh, tastes it, quietly gags a bit and reaches for his glass of water quickly. It's not that it's bad just that it's kind of a distinctive taste for anyone who lives in environment of less than 3.5 g of salt per L of water."Er... S' a bit strong"

"WANT FOOD!"

Herbert barely raise his head from his plate when the Behmot enters and just point at the counter with one hand . Hungry uh ? Boy he's been here too, wish he'd been as strong and scarry then though.

LoP
2012-08-06, 01:58 PM
"Strong is the way I like it!" Thetis said before burping into her hand and polishing off her meal. She wasn't ashamed to admit that watching surface dwellers gag after trying Atlantean food was something she enjoyed immensely.

Thetis spotted the snake-haired girl slither in, and waved a shrimp shell covered hand - right when the glowing pink energy thing smashed through the window.

"Are things always like this around here?," Cori/Gorgon asked, to which Thetis leapt to her feet, wiping seafood off on her jeans.

"Sort of," Thetis replied, her eyes never leaving the pink blob. "Doesn't mean this should be happening."

She tried to get the thing's attention.

"Hey! What's the big idea?"

Green Bean
2012-08-06, 04:19 PM
Alec

The girl turns to you so fast it's almost scary. "YOU! I don't know you you're fresh eyes but could be a plant, yes, knowingly or unknowingly? the transverse is subtle but I know a way yes I do..."

She shakes her head, and for a moment looks almost lucid. "I don't know who you are, I need to trust you." She looks at the corona surrounding the computers. "Make sure he's not a spy."

A massive lightning bolt arcs from the computer straight into you. It's incredibly painful. So much for lucid.

Rank 6 damage effect, roll a DC 21 Toughness Save

Cori's reassurances and calming tone seem to get to the strange creature. He jumps over to the food and starts trying to shovel it into his mouth. Unfortunately, he doesn't actually have a mouth. Smearing peas on his face doesn't appear to have the desired effect, and the creature's frustration mounts, until it puts a glowing fist through a serving station. The cafeteria staff dives for cover. "WANT FOOD!!!"

Starsign
2012-08-07, 12:40 PM
Alec's calling and questions only yield in more cryptic sentences that don't go anywhere. For a moment he is tempted to simply leave and warn the librarian. The girl's words are almost spoken by someone who has little idea of the human language. Alec can place down the words that sum up what might be happening with this girl.

"Posse- Gah!"

He finds himself cut off as a lightning bolt fires from one of the computers near him. A seemingly direct hit electrocutes his body and his mind races at what she just did. Was that magic? No, not likely; it came from that computer. Is this what technology can do? For a moment Alec found himself in a terrible situation. His pain cells do not work like they used to, being a lich and all, but it doesn't keep his body from struggling to move from the blast of electricity. He can't even get his mouth open to speak.

Still, it could be a worse situation. Alec knows how to fight on his own if needed and has a great enough repertoire of spells to try and end this without bringing too much harm to the girl. Worst comes to worst, Alec has his phylactery to back up on.

Stunned, won't be shrugging it off with HP. Also injured.

LoP
2012-08-07, 01:34 PM
Thetis was not used to being ignored.

"Hey, pink thing! I'm talking to you!"

Her hand went to her neck, fingering her plain, metallic necklace - a potent Atlantean orichalcham pendant - to make sure it was there before she rushed from the table toward the serving stations where the pink construct was busy playing Hungry Hungry Hippos. She tried everything she could to get its attention, waving her hands wildly in front of it.

"Zarassthi'na!" she exclaimed, in the very off chance the pink thing understood the Atlantean for "quit it."

Figure a fight is inevitable, so gonna roll initiative ahead of time. Still haven't used that spare power point, i'll probably save it (the stuff I wanted to do - hard water weapons and what not - I realize is just descriptors cuz I don't have any real in-game mechanics I want to model).

[roll0]

ripleycat
2012-08-07, 01:43 PM
"Woah! Hey, hey, none of that, come on, please! We'll get you something to eat. I just don't know... what." Cori wasn't willing to let this descend into a brawl just yet, and she wasn't even sure what she could do to try and stop the little monster. She follows it as it rampages, futilely trying to minimize the damage.

She leans over the serving stations and calls at the cafeteria workers. "Hey, is there anything for energy beings to eat around here? Like in a lab or something? He can't be the only one you've ever had, right?" The words sound absurd to her even as she's saying them.

smuchmuch
2012-08-07, 02:03 PM
"Maybe the electrcity outlet ?" suggest Herbert while stealtily taking afew dessert from behind the counter while the cafteria personel is cowering. Waste not want not and all that.

Betcha mr Pinky eats body energy or something like that and the first one to put a hand on him is in for a nasty surprise ?

Green Bean
2012-08-07, 10:49 PM
Alec

The girl frowns at her screen. "Hydroxylapatite collagen glycosaminoglycans osteocalcin osteonectin fluctuating energy... a DISGUISE! Did you truly believe you could deceive me, spy?"

A round has passed: you are no longer stunned

"WANT FOOD WANT FOOD WANT FOOD WANT FOOD!" The creature jumps up and down like a spoiled child, putting even more dents in the floor. Fortunately, before it can smash its way through to the foundation it finds a nice, healthy outlet for all its rage. The waving princess in front of it. It rounds on Thetis, fists balled... "RAAGHRARAHARG!"

Energy creature is not subtle, so no surprise round. Roll initiative if you haven't already, and if you beat its roll go ahead and post an action

Initiative: [roll0]

Starsign
2012-08-07, 11:18 PM
Alec does his best to try and understand the long and complex words the girl sprouts. "Phosphate mineral, extracellular proteins, mucins complex with proteins formed from polysaccharides, osseus tissue..." The words definitely do describe Alec well... Could the girl even see? Did she need to rely on some sort of super-sense? Either way, she knows what Alec is and is focused on taking him down. Trying to communicate at this point is useless.

Alec takes the time to properly focus as the girls sprouts her scientific knowledge. His form shifts to his skeletal body. Now he's prepared. "Enough!" His voice now suddenly commanding and powerful, working well under pressure. "Fluctuating energy is chaotic magic. You will never come to understand it." Alec lifts his skeletal arms in front of him as his fingertips light up with a dark red-ish glow. Quick, intricate work allows his fingers to create a runic symbol. Alec's more complex magic requires a different method of channeling energy, in this case it's creating a symbol of power to charge the spell before releasing. The symbol here glows brightly as it moves to Alec's hand and transforms into a ball of energy. "All you can do about it is watch and suffer!"

With that, Alec raises his glowing hand into the air. The energy from it quickly is set off like a silenced flashbang and a thin, grey fog appears. It first appears harmless... Aside from the growing voices, all saying the same word to the girl, all bringing the same message into her mind. "Surrender"

I cast Mind Influence (Despair). Perception Area; DC 18 Will. The spell is 30 ft in diameter and lingers; Selective Attack keeps it from targeting anyone else by accident.

ripleycat
2012-08-08, 02:19 AM
"No you don't!"

Faster than she even knew she could move, Cori launched herself between the little monster and Thetis, uncoiling like a true snake ready to strike, fangs bared, but the bite didn't come just yet. Gorgon instead twisted her serpentine body around the beast, wrapping the creature in thick green coils and trying to squeeze the pink thing senseless. "We tried talking, but now you need to take a nap." In the back of her mind, a little voice reminded her that trying to choke out something that didn't have lungs or a mouth wasn't likely to be a winning proposition, but this seemed less... drastic than the other options available to her.

Free action to Elongate out to full length (25 feet).

Using Crushing Coils (Suffocate 8): [roll0]
If it hits, DC 18 Fort save for pinky (assuming it even has a Fort save).

Green Bean
2012-08-09, 01:04 AM
Alec

Oddly enough, the girl's response to your transformation and speech isn't fear, but manic curiosity. She watches your intricate arcane gestures with calculating intensity, clearly committing them to memory. So engrossed is she in your technique that she barely notices the actual effects of the spell. She only snaps out of it when her watch begins chirping in alarm. She slaps her wrist angrily, shutting the alarm off and starts her mumbling. "Wha-what? you can't touch my mind its a temple a stronghold I won't have it but can't risk it at this stage..."

She taps a key on her terminal, and the energy surrounding the computers starts to coalesce into three distinct centres. The girl gets to her feet and points directly at you. "Tell your masters that SAM LOVELACE WILL FIND THEM! YOU WILL NOT HAVE MY FRIENDS! ECKSTROM WILL NOT SUCCEED!" There is a brief sensation of pulling and tearing - not directed at you, but at the very fabric of space around you. The girl seems to shrink and grow at the same time, and all of a sudden she pops out of existence.

Meanwhile, the three energy focal points have taken shape, resembling four-armed man-sized starfish, if they were made out of crackling haloes of electricity. They hover ominously in the air. You can't make out a face or eyes, but from their stance, you have a feeling they are not friendly.

Combat time proper; roll initiative!
Initiative rolls:
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Unfortunately, Cori's instincts were entirely correct; no mouth, no nose, no airways to close off. No pulse, for that matter. You definitely caught its attention, though.

Initiative Order:
Herbert
Gorgon
Strange Creature
Thetis

smuchmuch
2012-08-09, 01:01 PM
Herbert is not too interested in getting into a fight with the Pink colossus to be honnest. It's not exactly his problem. On the other hand it doesn't look like like Pinky is going to make any difference so...
Herbert tries to think fast. Guy seems made of energy, so punching probaly won't do much but...

Notice roll [roll0] To check any electrical device with enough power. (herbert has enhanced hearing so if he ccontcentrate he might be faintly able to hear the buzzing of electricity)

Green Bean
2012-08-09, 01:08 PM
You notice a faint buzzing underneath one of the nearby serving stations, and an incredibly faint smell of ozone. It looks like there's a junction box right underneath.

smuchmuch
2012-08-09, 01:36 PM
"Hey" standing right between the fusebox and the creature, Herbert scratch as hard as he can on the construct arm to get his attention, then brace to jump out of the way as soon asthe colossus punch back

[roll]Trick [roll0]
To make Mr Pinky punch the fusebox

If it actualy make him stronger: woops

.. well the nice fumble likely makes it a moot point anyway.

Starsign
2012-08-09, 01:55 PM
Galdr gives a confused, skeletal look as he sees the girl picks up amazing curiosity; seems her insanity or possession didn't take the effect of the fog. Shortly after her reactions lash out at Galdr before she... Disappears? Disintegrates? Dematerializes? He couldn't figure that out, but what she just did doesn't seem like technology...

Can Alec use his arcane lore (Knowledge (arcana)) to try and figure out the conceivable theories there might be to what the girl just did? [roll0]

At the very least, she left a name. Sam Lovelace... Sam? Jeremy mentioned someone with that name before; is it her? And then there's Eckstorm, whoever that may be. Alec would need to ask Jeremy when he gets the chance.

First things firsts however are the strange electrical constructs now in the room, starfish of worrying size. Clearly whoever in control of Sam did not want to leave Alec alone without any resistance. The fog lingers in the air but the constructs do not seem bothered even the slightest. It's clear to Galdr that they lack sentience. Based on a lack of an actual body, it seems most of Galdr's spells would not have an effect on them.

Green Bean
2012-08-10, 02:09 PM

Herbert's little scratch doesn't even damage it, but it certainly gets its attention. It rounds on you, dragging Cori along as if she weren't even there. It brings its meaty fist down on you. "ID SMASH!"

You leap out of the way at the last second and the creature puts its fist right through the floor. Connecting with the junction box, it screams as the heavy voltage flows into it (though one of the eggheads would probably tell you it's the amperage that really matters). The lights over your head black out, and it looks like the kitchen has shut down too. The emergency lights kick on. Fortunately for Cori the creature doesn't conduct the power very well, so she barely feels a thing.

Sorry, there were a bunch of rolls contingent on other rolls so in lieu of tripleposting the OOC I just used the Invisible Castle roller for his attack. So you don't lose out on intel, the guy has a +6 Attack Bonus.

The electricity does +8 damage, and Herbert picks up a Hero Point for creative effort.

Toughness: [roll0]

Creature is now Bruised+Injured

Alec

The creatures facing you are swift. Two of them start moving before you know what's happening. They charge towards you at an impressive clip, not trying to hit you, but pass through you. From Sam's "scan", you have a feeling the sensation will not be pleasant.

Two enemy attacks, DC 21 Toughness Save if they hit.
[roll1]
[roll2]

Starsign
2012-08-10, 03:53 PM
Though being a skeletal undead being, Galdr has impressive reflexes and is very fast on his feet. Unfortunately he isn't quite fast enough to dodge one of the electrical beings as it slams right into and through him.

*BZZZT*

A searing electric current blasts Alec as the construct goes right through him. He feels unable to move for a moment before forcing himself out of his current state. Based on the form of these things, standardized weapons aren't likely to work and even certain volumes of magic will have no effect either. Galdr also is not doing very well for condition after the previous electrical shocks. Any more and he'd risk his body collapsing. Galdr never likes doing this but there's only one thing left to do.

With a quick hurry, Galdr makes a dash for the door, transforming back to his human form in the process. With a great effort he runs out of the room and slams the door shut, looking to lock it as well. If anyone notices Alec now, he seems quite bruised up. In the meantime Alec tries to go over what he saw about how that girl disappeared.

May I get the results of my Knowledge Arcana check please? :smallsmile:

LoP
2012-08-10, 04:55 PM
Thetis isn't as fast a thinker as Herbert; her problem solving apparatus revolved around asking nicely, demanding imperiously, or smashing things with wave and ice. It seemed to the Atlantean princess that it was time to start smashing things.

"Cori, get out of the way!" Thetis warned before her eyes began glowing ice white. The hot water in the cafeteria serving line steam table came rising up from around the trays of crap school food, tendrils of steaming hot liquid, and with a slash of her arm the tendrils whipped out, trying to wrap themselves around the little pink behemoth's limbs. The tendrils instantly froze solid, into chains of ice, trying to anchor the hungry pink construct to the ground.

I think I'm up. Going to use her water control (Snare 8) to try to restrain the thing. Attack roll:
[roll0]

ripleycat
2012-08-10, 09:29 PM
"Yipe!" Cori makes a supremely undignified yelp of fright as the beast drags her attempt to strangle the creature does nothing, followed by pinky dragging her along like she was nothing but a feather, and to top it all off, violent electrical shocks and ice chains forming from nowhere. Cori wasn't used to this, but she obeyed Thetis, diving out of the way of the tethers of ice. "Augh! Shock it again! That worked!"

Id smash? Apparently it had a name. Gorgon rounded back on the little creature, trying to sink her fangs into what passed for a neck on its chunky body.

Fangs: Attack: [roll0]

If it hits, DC 23 Toughness save. Gorgon's bite has Penetrating, if Id has any Impervious.

Green Bean
2012-08-10, 11:05 PM
Alec

You manage to break away and get out of the lab before the creatures could strike again. You slam the door and hold it shut, but you'll need a key to lock it. You notice a sudden acrid smell, and when you look down, you see that one of the doorknob has begun to superheat. It won't be long before it melts completely away.

Fortunately, the slamming door has attracted the attention of one of the few other students on this floor, a tall girl with raven hair. She approaches you concernedly, noticing your dishevelled condition. "Hey, are you all right?"

Whatever the girl did, you're fairly sure she didn't disintegrate herself. So she probably teleported somehow. You didn't see any of the trappings of any transportation spell you're aware of, so it's either a completely unfamiliar spell or some kind of technological whatsit. For some reason, more of a gut feeling than anything concrete, it reminds you of the spell that brought you to this dimension. You have a feeling she did more than just vanish across space.

Id, if that's his name, hops clear of Thetis' ice chains only to end up snakebitten. He staggers back, whimpering. "YOU HURT ID!"

Toughness: [roll0]

Injured, Bruised, Staggered, and Stunned

SuperCracker
2012-08-10, 11:22 PM
Connor Lawson

Unfortunately, the enrolled wielder of the Power Cosmic was not present for either of the battles. That’s because he’s stopped and listening to the statue’s music on the quad. Connor didn’t walk up into any groups of students. He just stood by one of the trees and leaned against it, folding his arms.

It’s pleasant. The sun is shining. Fluffy white clouds scattered in the sky. Still…

It’s not home.

He exhales a sigh and glances down towards the grass. Sure he could put up a cheerful face for the other students, but he was miserable. A symphonic statue wouldn’t change that.

Green Bean
2012-08-11, 07:42 PM
When you change angles, you spot someone standing behind the statue, waving her arms like an orchestra conductor. She brings her arms down in a sweeping movement, and Brandenburg Concertos No.1 segues seamlessly into With A Little Help From My Friends.

Over to one side, you see two students speaking animatedly to one another; judging from their movements, one of them has a touch of super-speed.

Starsign
2012-08-11, 08:21 PM
Alec tries to think quickly over what to do and what happened. He saw this Sam disappear and it feels so... Similar. Something like Arion's dimension spell. Yet it couldn't have been magic; that girl is a technology expert. Unless she is possessed and has a few abilities from whoever has control over her.

...No time to think anymore. Now Alec could see the doorknob melting until the lock fails; at the very least he can prepare a surprise attack. As he hears another female student, he goes to look at her for just a moment. By the bruises on Alec, it seems pretty clear he got into a fight. "Um, watch out!" The sorcerer moves away from the door and next to the female student. He brings energy in his hand again as he readies it. When that door opens, Alec will shoot out his energy like a ball of explosive energy at the constructs who broke open the door. He's got the chance for a free attack, he's going to make use of it.

Readying Chaotic Burst (DC 23 Toughness; Burst Area; (6 ranks, 30 ft radius) Selective Attack to avoid hitting anything but the constructs) Will use it when the door opens. (so I guess I'm delaying my attack)

SuperCracker
2012-08-11, 10:08 PM
Connor Lawson

He peered around the statue and saw the girl there conducting whatever ethereal orchestra was playing. His blue eyes quickly glanced to the other students before he approached the girl causing the music.

“That’s a really amazing talent you have. I can hear all of the individual instruments in the composition.”

He smiles, genuinely but a little hollow (coming off of his more recent thoughts). Still, putting his best foot forward.

“I’m Connor. What’s your name?”

smuchmuch
2012-08-12, 05:36 PM
Herbert who had raised his claws in an agressive stance eyes the whimpering Id suspiciously for a split second then lowers his arm with a slight shrug to the others when he reaches the conculsion the big pink baby doesn't look like he's going to try for more. (but he doesn't leave the thing from view though and still stay ready to move away at a moment notive, you never know.)
Hopefully Id had enough and herbert will be able to return to the matter of lunch and dessert.

He probaly should feel a bit bad to have tricked the mental equivalent of a five year old into electrisation (in his defense he though it would satiate Id not hurt him) but Id was faliling around recklessly and menacingly and frankly herbert would rather hurt Id then letting Id hurt Herbert, so yeah as far as he's concerned, his concience's clean.

Green Bean
2012-08-12, 08:30 PM
Alec

At first the girl looks confused, but when the doorknob melts completely through and the three creatures burst through the door, she reacts surprisingly quickly, summoning a ball of fire in the palm of her hand. "Jeez, you weren't kidding!"

Your attack connects with all three of the creatures. Two of them fade away, form disrupted utterly, but the third charges at Alec once more. You manage to duck out of the way, and your impromptu rescuer obliterates it with a concentrated blast of fire. "Uh, so what exactly is going on?"

Primary Target (vs. DC 23): [roll0]
Secondary Taget (vs. DC 21): [roll1]
Secondary Taget (vs. DC 21): [roll2]

Initiative Order:
Electric Monster
Library Student
Alec

Connor

The girl smiles as you approach. "Who, me?" Her auburn hair swings around her head like a halo while a swarm of colourful butterflies takes flight all around you. "Aren't you in for a treat."

She walks toward you slowly, steps in time with the music. "I am the heart beat, the back beat, the gravity roll that plays down your spine." The butterflies burst into multi-coloured sine waves that settle on her head like a living tiara. "The ghost note in the beautiful song that is this campus."

"My name is the melody you sing every day of your life and don't even know it, the cadence of the song your mother sang to you in your cradle." She strikes a dancer's pose, expression lofty and artistic. But she can't hold it, and she bursts out laughing, dissipating her illusion. She sticks her hand out to shake. "Or you can just call me Sue."

LoP
2012-08-13, 11:43 AM
This... "Id" thing had been given a decent clobbering, and out of the corner of her glowing white eyes Thetis could see Herbert watching the thing warily. Thetis positioned herself so that she, Cori, and Herb had Id surrounded in a triangle of "Don't Try Anything Buddy."

Thetis tried changing tactics. "Hey ... Id? Uh... if Id STOPS, we help Id. Got it?"

Can I use Diplomacy in a fight to try to calm Id down? Who knows, maybe Id finds Thetis easy on the eyes and her Attractive will factor in. If I can't, then I'll just do what Herb is doing and I guess ready an attack if Id goes pyscho again.

I'll just roll an unmodified d20 to use in whichever case is appropriate.
[roll0]

My Diplomacy skill is +7 (with Attractive 2 if that counts).
My Unarmed attack bonus is +8, DC23.

Starsign
2012-08-13, 01:26 PM
Alec runs on his reflexes rather than his brain as he launches his orb of chaotic energy at the electrical constructs and evades the remaining one. It isn't until the third one is destroyed that Alec notices the new student's powers. As he manages to relax, Alec forgets the girl's question just for a moment as he seems fascinated by her powers. "That was..." He was going to finish with "impressive" before remembering her words. His voice a little louder than it should be in the library. "Oh, right! Um, it's complicated. But there was this girl; S-Sam Loveface I think? N-No, Lovelace; Sam Lovelace. She was possessed, or at least acted like it. Mentioned about sins of father, four corners of the campus, lurking in trans-space and electrical impulses, proof somewhere in the computer lab... It's all I got out of her before she attacked me, teleported, and left behind those constructs."

He looks back at the computer lab, a little worried of what that is all about. His tone drops in volume a little. "I... I should get to Jeremy; I think he knows about- Wait! Is class starting soon?" He looks in panic at the nearest clock. What time did they say class is starting again, 1:00 PM?

SuperCracker
2012-08-13, 02:25 PM
Connor Lawson

He stood there and watched the show. The butterflies around him, the crescendo of the music, everything. This girl could be a one-woman Broadway show. It was certainly the most elaborate introduction he’s ever seen. He had a little grin on his lips as he nodded twice. A chuckle came from his throat after she erupted into giggles.

“Nice to meet you, Sue. How long did you practice that introduction?”

He reached out and shook her hand. Extending his arm exposed the Nega Band around his wrist, one half of the device that keeps his powers from erupting outwards.

“It was lovely, though. My mom would like the flourish if she ever saw it.” He holds out his hand. His eyes begin to glow softly, and blue energy begins to flow out of his palm, tracing the fist-sized outline of a crystalline butterfly that is formed. He then holds it out to Sue. “Here.”

Green Bean
2012-08-13, 09:03 PM

Beaten up as he is, Id's face remains twisted with rage. Even in his damaged state, it's clear the fight isn't over. He gets to his feet and...

...the emergency door bursts open, and a short, harried looking woman dashes in, towing a small bespectacled boy who can't be older than eleven. You've never met the woman before, but she's clearly a teacher. She takes in the scene and immediately crouches down next to the kid and speaks in a low tone. "Tyrone, I need you to relax. Breathe in, and out. In and out." The kid screws his eyes shut and does as she says, breathing in short panicky gasps that become longer as he calms down.

The effect on Id is immediate. He starts shrinking, getting smaller and smaller as Tyrone relaxes. "NO! ID BE GOOD, ID BE GOOD!" When he's less than a foot tall, Id gives up the ghost, vanishing with a pop of inrushing air.

Outside the door, you notice quite a crowd has gathered, mostly middle schoolers, but you spot Megastar trying to sneak away and Terry and co. rubbernecking from the back. The teacher approaches the three of you. "Good job. Is everyone in here all right?"

Alec

"Wait, you met Sam? And she tried to kill you with those things?" Something flashes across her face, but you can't tell if it's anger, guilt, or something else. "Look, you don't know me, but I need to ask you a favour. Don't mention any this to any of the teachers, okay? This is a situation they're better off not involved in."

The clock says it isn't even noon yet - you've got plenty of time before class starts.

Connor

" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMsZGwf6o_w)Oh, off and on the past few days. First impressions are important." She laughs again, but stops and looks genuinely impressed at the butterfly you hand her. "I see you're a fellow artist, Connor. I think this is going to be a good year!"

SuperCracker
2012-08-13, 11:05 PM
Connor Lawson

“Well, you certainly made a mark on me,” he says, once again complimenting the first impression. When she in turn compliments the butterfly, he shakes his head with a laugh. “I wouldn’t go that far. I mostly create things like shields, barriers, cages, and the occasional pressurized container for when I take someone through space.” He pauses… yeah, that sounds kind of odd for a teenager. “I was a superhero where I came from.”

ripleycat
2012-08-14, 08:40 PM
As Id shrinks away into nothing for the time being, Gorgon takes her own deep breath of relief. Some first day, and it was barely half over. "I'm OK. You guys hurt? I-I think it's mostly just stuff that got torn up, not people." She waves a hand at the shattered window and dented equipment.

"Um, 'Id' got pretty beaten up. Are you OK, Tyrone? Do you like, feel stuff that happens to it or anything?" She smiled awkwardly at the younger kid, trying to find an expression that looked friendly, and not like a monster baring its fangs at him. "Oh, hey, here! I kinda-sorta promised you something." Cori lifted a couple of deserts from the battered service tray and passed them to the bespectacled boy. "When Id came crashing in, he was yelling about being hungry." She adds as explanation for the teacher.

smuchmuch
2012-08-15, 08:43 AM
" 'm alright." Everyone else seems fine too as far as he can tell. Herbert shrugs and grant himself a second service of dessert before noticing the crowd.
Maybe it's because you don't live in a circus without develloping some reflexes or maybe it's because he's been locked in the freak cages and astonished stares kind of wake up something sour in him, but Herbert freeze into place and give a very sarcastic theatrical if pretty sarcastic bow and a completly deadpan "Ta-dah."

With that the ratboy plants himself on a nearby seat well decided to finish his lunch no matter what happens next, be it another hulking monster, an alien invasion, a russian nuclear strike* or the start of classes.

*Herbert may not yet be fully aware of all the devellopment during the lest forty years or so.

Starsign
2012-08-15, 09:56 PM
"...Huh?" Alec is confused by the girl's response. Why should the teachers not be involved? There might be a good reason behind it but Alec doesn't have a clue. After all that he saw anyway, Alec won't be forgetting it either. "Um... Alright," he responds in a quieter tone. "But if you don't want me involving the teachers, then I'm going to involve myself." Alec just could not believe himself on what a bad idea this is. Arion had taught him not to make a scene when he can but in this situation there has to be someone willing to do something.

"I think Sam is dangerous; she'd probably attack any non-mechanical or electrical being she notices. Jeremy once mentioned her name so I'm going to ask him... Do you want to come too?" Of course part of the reason he wants the student to come is because Alec is interested in how she could use fire. Whether she decides to come or not, Alec asks her one last thing, "Was your fire magic or through your genes? If it's the former, I'd love to know more about that kind of magic." The female could tell Alec is smiling with excitement.

Green Bean
2012-08-16, 01:24 PM
Connor

Sue lets out a low whistle. "A superhero? Now that is cool. I don't recognize you, though. I'm guessing you're not from Freedom City?"

Gorgon, Herbert, and Thetis

Tyrone takes the dessert shyly while the now much less stressed looking teacher takes a look at the damage done. "Don't worry, 'Id' is just a psychic projection. You didn't hurt Tyrone at all. Honestly, I'm impressed, I was worried there'd be more damage. You did really well. Tyrone, isn't there something you should say?"

Tyrone steps forward, glancing at the three of you but mostly looking at the ground. "'nk you."

Alec

"No, we already know Jeremy. Look, it's safer if you just keep clear of this. This isn't something you should just stumble into blind." The girl looks surprised at your sudden change of topic. "It's magic, but it's a family secret. Sorry."

Starsign
2012-08-18, 02:31 PM
Alec looks a bit disappointed as the girl responds about how she can't teach him her magic. "Oh... Alright." Though a little down, he understood perfectly that she couldn't talk about her magic. He tries to perk his mood up as he starts to take his leave of the library. "I'll be off then." He doesn't say much else as he leaves. Now that he stumbled upon this Sam, who his roommate mentioned before, Alec won't really be able to forget this. No, he has thrown himself deep into this incident and he'd like to find out what's happening.

Alec heads back to his dorm room, entering and hoping his roommate is in here. "Jeremy? Still working on your drone?" Alec is still curious about Jeremy's little pieces of work; the time to ask is not now however. Before Alec can ask about Sam, he'd wait for the possible question on how Alec managed to get himself beat up in such a short time.

SuperCracker
2012-08-19, 12:09 AM
Connor Lawson

For the second time today, he explained himself. “No. I’m from New York in a parallel universe. Different heroes, different villains, different super-teams. There’s no Freedom City where I come from.”

He gestures to the “A” symbol on his belt buckle.

“I was with a group called the Young Avengers. Avengers Assemble and all that.” She has no idea what he’s talking about. He chuckles.

Green Bean
2012-08-19, 09:17 PM
Alec

Jeremy is hunched over his desk, drone fully disassembled. "Yeah, looks like it's just a routine repair. I've got to figure out how to teach these things how to fix each other."

He glances in your direction, and does a double take when he sees you. He flips up the jeweller's loupe he was using to make sure he isn't just seeing things. "Geez, what happened to you?"

Connor

" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNPnbI1arSE)Avengers? Weird name for a hero group, but who am I to judge?" She laughs along with you. "Any big differences between here and your home dimension? From what the Freedom League says, all it takes is one little historical difference and all of a sudden the world's ruled by Gorilla Hitler."

Starsign
2012-08-20, 01:52 PM
Alec looks rather surprised to see that Jeremy had fully dismantled his drone. To see something be taken apart like that seems inhumane. Yet Alec just did not understand technology; the way it differs from magic is just fascinating and while he'd like to learn about it, there's a more crucial piece of information he has to understand first.

Right now he needs to ask Jeremy. Alec takes a moment to relax as he thinks how to address his tone. He tries to speak indignantly, probably more melodramatic than he should be. "One that you know did this to me." Jeremy could tell Alec is forcing out his attitude rather than speaking as he normally would. It's not exactly the most pretty of performances. Still, Alec tries anyway as he narrows his eyes to his roommate. "...Tell me what you know about Sam Lovelace."

ripleycat
2012-08-20, 06:18 PM
"You're... welcome, I guess? Seemed like the natural thing to do when he started smashing everything up." Cori is nonplussed by all the congratulating the trio are receiving, and all the staring behind it. "Hope the rest of your day goes better, Tyrone."

Gorgon assembles a tray of food for herself and sits back down, but realizes quickly enough that she's not that hungry anymore. "The audience is getting weird. I'm gonna go find some place to sit and laze in the sun for a few minutes before classes start. If you guys want to come, cool, if not, thanks for not letting the little psychic manifestation monster crush me, and I'll see you later?" Mostly Cori wanted a tiny bit more privacy, which it was becoming clear, was in short supply at Claremont, though the snaky part of her brain just wanted to sit in the sun. Simple pleasures.

SuperCracker
2012-08-20, 09:43 PM
Connor Lawson

“Weird name? And ‘Freedom League’ is any better?” He says with a smirk. She asks him about the major differences. He thinks for a moment. “Well, from what I know, it diverges a lot in World War 2. A super-soldier serum was used to make a guy called Captain America. He was the first modern superhero. He got frozen in ice and thawed out later. After World War 2 there were a lot of heroes that popped up. New York is crawling with them. But none of them are the same as the guys you have. In fact, I’m fairly certain my father’s entire species doesn’t exist here.”

smuchmuch
2012-08-21, 04:35 AM
Herbert who had about the same idea for about similar reason (He's not feling particulary social today he cafeteria is getting kinda crowded and noisy for his tastes. ), pulls his hood over his head and in passing gives a small gruff nodd at Cori.

Herbert looks for the exact opposite in small solitary place to retreat to for digestion as he's walking though the school, leabing against the wall. Jasper is still probaly painting in the dorm room so herb dodn't wantto bother him, besides he's still kind of exploringthe shool, trying to finde place of interest to him. There must be some kind of cellars of some sorts or at least a few tunnels leading to somekind of boiler room, those would be ideal. But an empty room will do or even just deeper doorway or an arch of some sort, a nice dark or at least shady place away from the light for a nap.

Herbert is not that tired, so you can spring stuff on him, he won't ignore it. Just exploring a bit I guess.

Green Bean
2012-08-21, 10:32 PM
Alec

To his credit, Jeremy is quick on the uptake. "Oh geez, Sam did that to you? I didn't think she was that far gone." Guilt and sadness flash across his face, and to your surprise, he actually stands up and looks out the window, as if he expects to see her sitting on the lawn outside.

"It's a really long story. But I'm guessing you don't care about that right now. Sam came here last year. She didn't have any superpowers, but that didn't matter because she was beyond brilliant. No one else here came close; she had to build an AI teacher that could keep up with her. She had a ton of free time, so she started running her own experiments. I saw some of them - I was the closest thing she had on campus to a peer review." Jeremy is rambling now, lost in thought. "Then she found some big project. She said she was looking into it as a favour for someone, and it was something big. One day she told me she was on the verge of a big breakthrough, and then she went missing. No classes, no meals, no one saw her. Then a week later she came back, and she was like...well, you know."

He trails off, but you know that's not the entire story.

Cori

The teacher ushers all of the middle schoolers back to their tour, but not before calling you heroes a few more times. It's quite pleasant, actually. With your audience gone, you're free to wander wherever you please.

Outside, you spot a lovely little Zen Garden, perfect to sit, eat, and catch some sun. You enjoy a precious few minutes relaxing in the warmth of a beautiful September day before a shadow falls across your face. It's Terry and his crew. "Hey, hero."

Connor

"A whole species? That's pretty big change." She looks sympathetic, and a little sad. " (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1odvp-_bhk)Well, chin up, right? There's a lot of smart people in this city, I'm sure they'll figure you out a way back. And until then, well, why not have a little fun in the meantime?"

Herbert

You wander through the mostly deserted halls, until eventually you find an unlocked storage closet with a back door that leads to the maintenance tunnels. According to a faded fire escape map, there should be a boiler room up ahead. You continue on, heading deeper into the bowels of the building.

Roll a Notice check, if you please.

SuperCracker
2012-08-21, 11:52 PM
Connor Lawson

He nods to her. “Yeah. But then again, they’re kinda jerks. Don’t get me started on the Supreme Intelligence. You know it created a race on the moon and then—“ he stops. “Yeah! Fun. I like fun. Since I’m the new kid, you want to show me a few of the things we can do around here? If you don’t mind, I can even make it an aerial tour.”

smuchmuch
2012-08-22, 01:55 PM
Herbert walks in the stairs without a hurry. In this season the boilers aren't on so the cave is cooler than the summer day exterior, wich is nice, and the dimed lights are a lot more beareable to his eyes. the air smells a bit mustly as usual but it's not a bad odor if you are used to it.
Herb decide to just make a quick wade to the boiler room, then he'll come back closer to the entrance for his rest. As much as he'd be tempted to stay int he coolness until the sun lowers a bit, he probaly shouldn't miss classes right the first day.

Notice [roll0]

Starsign
2012-08-22, 03:18 PM
Alec listens in silence as Jeremy explains what he knows about Sam, A genius among geniuses. Owed a favor to someone, had a big breakthrough, then came back as Alec saw her. Whatever breakthrough it was must have been a literal "break"through considering her mental state. Once Jeremy trails off, Alec speaks up. "I... think I have a theory on what changed her." He pauses, hoping Jeremy won't be upset by Alec's ideas.

"My master, once said that some knowledge is too great for any human, not even a supergenius. He's told me about ancient beings of corrupting power that can drive mortals insane... Or, worse." He looks down at the ground, realizing he could have used the same description for himself and it would be accurate. "You said she owed a favor to someone. She could have found such a being who's intelligence goes beyond hers. Whatever happened after this breakthrough, that being may have either given her knowledge that drove her insane or just outright possessed her. She says her mind is like a... Temple or stronghold of some sort. Hence why I suggest possession. She once mentioned a name, Eckstorm I believe. Did she make a deal with it?"

He pauses again before asking, "D-Does my theory make any sense?

ripleycat
2012-08-22, 05:42 PM
Cori sits up straight, already wary and annoyed. "Can't have a damn moment to myself... Ah, so you saw that whole thing, but aren't actually good enough people to bother helping out yourselves. Figures. What do you idiots want?"

Green Bean
2012-08-24, 09:59 PM
Connor

Sue's smile looks a little hunted. " (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otCpCn0l4Wo)Uh, maybe not an aerial tour? I've got a heights thing, sorry."

Herbert

You notice how comfortably cool it is down here - underground and away from the sun. It's also kinda suspicious. You're not that far underground, and at the end of a hot summer the ground should be a lot warmer than you feel in the tunnel. The temperature drops rapidly the deeper you go, and by the time you spot the door to the boiler room your breath is crystallizing in the air.

Alec

"Sam never believed in knowledge too great to handle. Only hurdles to overcome."

"She talked about her mind being a temple? That's not new. She always used to avoid the psychic kids, and she said that was why. She didn't want anything from outside to bias her work. She might have thought someone was trying to get into her head." Jeremy shrugs. "I dunno why it'd be possession either. She never touched magic."

"Eckstrom sounds more eastern Europe than colour out of space, but I guess you're the expert."

Cori

Mitchell looks like he's waiting on some obscure punchline, and Mallory looks angry as always, so Terry's the one to speak. "Well of course we didn't. If poor whatshisname can't control his powers, it's our civic duty to make sure everyone knows it, not try to cover it up. But Mitch here was curious about why you even bothered."

ripleycat
2012-08-24, 11:07 PM
Cori just rolls her eyes. "Heh. I like that. The concept of doing a good deed is so foreign to you pathetic trolls that you genuinely can't comprehend someone doing something as basic as trying to keep people from getting hurt. Amazing. Now run along, I have no desire to speak with you and you're blocking my sunbeam."

smuchmuch
2012-08-25, 12:26 AM
Herbert internaly berates himself. All of his instinct tells him going in direction of the bitter cold is stupid, it goes most intinct of survival. On the other hand his curiosity... at least he has to look inside.
Herbert doubts Jasper deals in basement a lot, besides he's likely to be still paiting right now. Maybe it's the air conditioning ? If they have Tvs with tons colors now and phones that dodn't even requires string (admitedly herbert is still a bit astonished by that one, sometime it feels like he's living in a science fiction flick now), they are bound to make progress in that departement too, right ?

His hand hovers the door handle for a second before he realise that if the air is so chilly, thank god for his fur to make it a lot more bearable), the handle likely freezing cold.
Herbert looks around for some piece of cloth around, since there was a janitorial closet near, maybe a floor cloth left among some cleaning supllies (if there's a mop too, he'll take it), or if there aren't any he'll use his parka sleeve, something to warp his hand before touching the handle, then opens carefully as to not make it creek the door by barely a few inches before and takes a small peek and a whiff inside the boiler room.

Half resistance to environemental cold, in case a roll is necessary.
Stealth to take a peek without being seen [roll0]

Starsign
2012-08-25, 04:07 PM
Alec gives curious looks as he listens to Jeremy, then sighs. "...If Sam believed she could harness any sort of knowledge, then..." He pauses, not liking what he'll mention next. "I don't think there's a way to heal her mind; she went over what she could take and... I'm guessing that's why she acts as she does. If it isn't possession, then it has to be knowledge she couldn't handle. It doesn't quite explain her... Uh... Dimension traveling though."

He shakes his head slowly. "I don't know who Eckstorm is. Does 'Eck' refer to something technology based? Alec has a feeling that this Eckstorm is who Sam owed a "favor" to. Learning more about this person would be important; trying to do so without teachers getting suspicious however will complicate things.

Green Bean
2012-08-26, 05:03 PM
Cori

You see Mitchell, behind Terry's back, actually flash a hint of a smile. "Woah, looks like we've got a badass over here. I'll leave you to your freaky cold-blooded stuff." Terry saunters off, and after a moment the other two depart as well.

In the distance, you catch the faint sound of Mallory speaking as they walk away. "Seriously, next time let's just do it my way. I'll try not to leave any permanent marks."

Herbert

You open the door to see the figure of a slightly transparent man, glowing with a sickly greenish hue and crouched over something. Though you can only see his back, you can see the clothes he wears are a least a couple hundred years out of style. You hear something, but it's faint even to your ears. It sounds like weeping.

Alec

"Well, it's kinda academic at this point. Everyone just wants to find her and bring her back and pray she can be treated." Jeremy sighs and looks distant for a moment.

"Anyway, inter-dimensional physics was her speciality, so who knows what she can do? And Eckstrom? Like I said, it's just a name; there's probably a dozen Eckstroms in this city alone."

smuchmuch
2012-08-26, 11:31 PM
"Oh." Herbert shruggs s'just a ghost"
Living in a transdimenstional supernatural circus for about half a century can really screw up your perception of normality. (It probably doesn't help that he was friend with Wisp whotended to attract them regulary due to her medium powers. It alway kind of creeped him a bit to be honnest.)

Herbert is kind of divided between curiosity and keeping his distance witht that kind of occult. curiosity wins. The weeping and the sickly green aura aren't very encouraging tho.
Herbert stick the tip of the mop into the door frame as to make sure the door won't be able to close all a the sudden before taking a few steps in.
"Hey Mi..is..ster." Herbert isn't trembling so much of terro than because of the harsh cold. Okay maybe he's also a bit scarted and ready to run like buggery at the first sign or paranormal agressivity. "Lo..Lost something ?

Starsign
2012-08-27, 02:30 PM
Alec nods slowly and sighs as he finds out that he's hit a brick wall in terms of investigating. "Well alright... I guess I'll worry about it later. Thanks." He can't help but be a little disappointed. There's a psychotic woman loose in the Academy, or worse the entire city, and no one seems to have much of a clue on her or what happened; this is to say the least of what seems to being done about her.

Either way there isn't really much left for Alec right now aside from possibly explore around the academy some more. He goes out of the dorms and takes his time wandering around in the academy building. He doesn't need to eat so he has little point in going to the cafeteria. He'll mostly wait out time in thought until classes are ready to begin.

Green Bean
2012-08-29, 08:19 PM
Herbert

The ghost slowly gets to his feet, and you see he's been crying over an equally spectral woman lying on the ground in front of him. He looks right through you at first, but he eventually seems to notice your trembling in the cold. He calls out in a voice like a pealing bell. "Beware! The Burning Ghost walks once more!."

He vanishes along with the woman, and takes the strange, unnatural chill with him. He does not return.

Everyone

One way or another, you pass the time until one o'clock, when classes begin. They're quite abbreviated, a series of 15 minute long periods strung together so you can meet your teachers and pick up your textbooks. To the disappointment of the student body, the "Personal Enrichment Curriculum", a.k.a. Powers Classes, haven't started yet. The faculty have decided to play it coy this year, and the special classes won't begin for another few weeks, after the teachers have had a chance to evaluate their students' needs in person. Instead, you get a two page personality test and the last period on Wednesdays and Fridays off for the next little while.

After class, you all gradually filter back to the dorms (though with enough time to gab or visit with someone on the way). When you arrive, you see Thetis heading back downstairs in a hurry. You see Thetis' roommate in the hall as well; she heads into her room to drop off her books, but almost immediately she comes out with a concerned look on her face and a piece of paper in her hand.

Starsign
2012-08-30, 03:41 PM
Despite the outcry other students made, Alec is rather glad Personal Enrichment Curriculum isn't starting yet. Having just come here, he feels that he still needs to adapt first before he can start breaking rules Arion explained to him way back in his home dimension. How Alec would explain it to his master is lost to the sorcerer. Arion has always been strict with Alec but also protective, trusting, and willing to assist his pupil. Alec just hopes Arion will be able to understand when they meet again.

Back at the dorms, Alec is content with reading a book about undead in the main hallway as a way of passing time. Without a need to sleep he has plenty of time to cover everything that he can learn from the library. Taking a look out of his book however is when he notices Thetis' roommate with an obviously worried look. Alec isn't one who likes to poke in other people's business but sometimes curiosity gets the better of him; it helps that it involves someone Alec knows that isn't a jerk. "Um, excuse me," he begins as his voice fills the hallway. "Is something wrong?" Alec doesn't really speak like a gentlemen but he does the best he can do as he asks Thetis' roommate.

ripleycat
2012-08-30, 04:17 PM
Cori is one of those disappointed by Personal Enrichment's delay. Bettering her control of her powers is the primary reason she has been sent to Claremont. The rote academic classes don't hold the same attraction as the wide-ranging grab-bag of knowledge her parents taught her during their travels. She's also quite hungry by the end of the day, regretting skipping lunch. On her way to the kitchen to grab a snack, she passes Alec and Victoria.

"Hey guys. Um, is Thetis around? Wanted to see how she was doing after that brawl at lunch and see how her day went. Picking up on the note and the concern in the girl's eyes, Cori adds "Everything all right? Has something happened?"

smuchmuch
2012-08-31, 10:25 PM
"Kay ?" The burning ghost uh ? seems more like the freezing ghost to him but sure. herbert shrugg, well that as interesting, before lying on the floor along a wall in the corridor for a quick nap.

-----------------
Herbert isn't too preocupied by the current lack of 'Personal Enrichment's' classes. He's not particulary looking forward to it to be honnest, not caring in the other direction either, mind, just kind of indifferent on a personal level. Really, having claws or healing fast is not exactly something he comands so what is there to enrich ? As far as he's concerned, he doesn't have powers so much as he's just being himself, it's not his fault 'himself' happen to be quite different from other people nowadays.
It might be a nice way to see other people powers in action, so maybe he'll asist to one or tow of them before deciding to start skipping them. He'll see when it starts, it'll be soon enough

The ratboy start answering the question first diligently but grows bored halway and compelte the thing half heartedly; do they really think they can learn about him with those ? kay sure why not.s eems actualy talkign with him would be more eficient but what does he know ? Maybe one or two questions ,those who feels the dumber or more incongruous gets a comment along the lines of 'I don't see why that's your buisness' or 'Meh' written under.
Damn he'd been a while he's been in an orgnaised good to honnest schooroom, he almost forgot how annoying it could be. These chairs and table are discomfortable. there's something in him he has to overwritte at any intant, that just doesnt want to be stuck in thso small chairs and table. He needs to move, to be able to scurry around. Herbert keeps the rest of tie waiting for the clock, twitching his legs and drumming his fingers nand trying to tlook through the window. It is soon going to become unbearable if he doesn't find a way to deal with it.

Finaly when the classes are done, he can stretch is legs a bit. Without carring what other may thinks, he suddenlybreaks into a run and does a leap over a few flight of stairs on his way to the dorm. Feels good.
He see there a little group that have gathered, with two familiar faces. Herbert but doesn't join directly (I mean maybe it' s none of his buisness) but saunter nonchalantly absolutly fascinated by uh that potted plant, yep, and not trying to overhear something out of curiosity or looking at that note over the tatooed girl shoulder in the slightest, nope.

Green Bean
2012-08-31, 11:12 PM
"Ah, you're her friends from earlier." Her speech is slightly accented - Eastern European to your ears. "She left this behind."

She hands around a note; hot pink ink with hearts over the 'i's and 'j's. It's short and sweet, and the gist of it is that the writer is apparently having some sort of feud with Thetis and wants her to meet on the roof of the main building to call an end to their hostilities. It's signed "Daisy".

Victoria shakes her head firmly. "I had a few classes with this Daisy. She does not want a truce. I am worried about Thetis."

Starsign
2012-09-01, 02:09 PM
Alec slowly and carefully takes the note from Thetis' roommate as he reads it. The note and what the roommate says gives mostly enough info for him to figure out the problem. "So... Daisy plans to ambush Thetis when she reaches the roof?" Trickery can be a fond tactic to use; Arion has demonstrated it a couple times before. Even if Alec's master is heroic, he isn't afraid of being a little dishonorable if need be.

Looking back up at Thetis' roommate, Alec is straight to the point as he asks, "How did this feud start?" What Alec wants to know is how in the world this whole thing happened in the first place. Otherwise Alec might be helping the wrong side... Not that he'd prefer to have a fight break out in the first place.

smuchmuch
2012-09-01, 11:08 PM
Herb would ask 'what the hell does it changes when it started ,', but since he's kind of curious too, he doesn't and wait after the girl answers the lich before pointing his nose over their shoulder.
"Hum, Isn't this kind of... their private buisness ?" If he choosed a remote location to have a private conversation with soemone, Herbert wouldn't like if people barged in (well that's not enitrely true because a small part of him inside would feel a remendous boost of knowing people actualy took an interest in him beynd being a freak, buuut, except for that, conciously he wouldn't. Not that he has any close friend around here to have private conversation to, but if he had he'd totaly like them to stay secret.)
"Also she went downstairs" he points out casualy, that seems somewhat contradictory with going on the roof.

ripleycat
2012-09-02, 03:32 PM
"Thetis can take care of herself, but there do seem to be some pretty, um, deranged folks around here." Gorgon has Terry and his crew in mind more than Daisy, who she didn't really know, but the principle seemed to stand.

"Maybe we should go? You know, just keep an eye out, make sure nothing too awful happens? Or tell someone? That might get Thetis in trouble, though, and she's not really doing anything wrong."

Green Bean
2012-09-02, 04:33 PM
Victoria shrugs. "I am new here, I don't know why they argue. But Daisy did not look like someone who wishes to make peace. Maybe they fight, maybe this is a big plan to humiliate her. I like Thetis; I do not want either to happen."

Btw, the dorms are separate from the main school building(s). Since you live on an upper floor of the dormitory building, you'd need to go downstairs first to get to the roof of the main building.

Starsign
2012-09-02, 05:05 PM
Alec looked down at the floor for a moment as the ratboy spoke to him. "Um... Well I understand private business," he says in a complete lying fashion. Back in Alec's world, the netherworld is a place where keeping one's mind to their own is not a healthy thing. Alec and Arion had traveled quite a bit in their world, opening themselves up to much of the woes and sorrows other people experienced in the time Alec's father ruled. Arion had once told him that to leave a person's problems abandoned when they can't do anything about it is a crime. Alec knew his master was overexaggerating but it got the message through clear enough.

Alec stops trying to answer Herbert's question as he looks up to Victoria. "I'll go to the roof to meet with Daisy and Thetis. I'd... Like to know how this feud started." One thing that drove Alec at times is knowledge; he didn't want to be left in the dark about something and this is one of those occasions. He takes a look at Cori and Herbert who are also chatting with Victoria. "Are either of you two going to come?"

smuchmuch
2012-09-02, 05:25 PM
Herbert shuggs, a gesture which you have to assume must mean 'Sure why not ?'.

ripleycat
2012-09-02, 06:46 PM
"Sure. I'll tag along." Cori nods. "Something about this doesn't seem right. Let's go see what's up."

SuperCracker
2012-09-03, 05:32 PM
Connor Lawson

Lovely. Evaluation period. Connor slogs his way through the personality test. He’s really counting the time until – well, he doesn’t know what. Something? Anything? The truth is that very little of this feels real. He knows it is, but there’s such a discordance that it’s a bit hard to connect.

He’s on his way back to his room when he sees all the hubbub about Thetis. Connor stands in the background, just listening for the most part.

But when there’s talk of a fight, with the possibility of Thetis being hurt.

“And you have my axe!”

An awkward pause.

“They still have Lord of the Rings here, right?”

Green Bean
2012-09-05, 12:10 AM
Without further ado, the four of you set off for the roof. Roof access would normally be hard to find for a gaggle of new students, but fortunately *someone* has been scurrying around in the maintenance areas and can make a pretty accurate guess at where the access stairwell is. It's normally locked for students, but it looks like someone's jimmied it open. You climb the flight of stairs to the roof and come through the door to see a statuesque blonde senior you can only assume is Daisy and a gaggle of thugs in the form of Terry, Mitchell, and Mallory!

Just...not the way you were expecting it.

Terry has Daisy by the neck and has her pressed against a large A/C unit. He's holding her there seemingly without any physical effort. Mitch and Mallory are nearby, and neither of them look happy. Daisy, for her part, looks absolutely terrified. You hear Terry speaking to her in that irritatingly casual tone of voice he has.

"...made you think this was a good idea? We aren't your goon squad. Even if your little mind-whammy worked on me, which it didn't, you had to know Mitchell would pick up on it. You got so used to bossing around the proles this summer that you forgot we aren't all sheep?" He pulls his gripping arm back as if about to slam her back against the wall, but as you arrive on the scene, Terry blinks and seems to soften for a moment. Then the moment passes as his eyes narrow and he pushes her none too gently back against the metal structure. "You see what I mean. You keep trying and all you're doing is making things worse for yourself. You're not going to get through. Right? Mitch?"

Mitchell is sitting on a ventilation with his brows furrowed in concentration. "Sorry, I got distracted. Mal, I thought you said you could keep us from getting interrupted?"

Mallory sighs heavily, but doesn't take her eyes off Daisy. "It only works on one person at at time. She must have decided to bring friends. You want to cast it next time?"

Terry turns towards you quite casually for someone with a handful of someone's neck. "Oh, it's you guys. Your little princess friend isn't here, so there's no need to play bodyguard. We're kinda in the middle of something right now, so if you wouldn't mind...? " He eyes the exit pointedly.

Starsign
2012-09-05, 05:10 AM
Alec really isn't sure what to expect as he made up to the rooftop with three other students he has met only once or twice today; they're practically strangers to him. He is used with strangers though as back on his home dimension everyone that isn't Arion is a 'stranger' in some way. He is more preferable to go on his own but in the case things will get ugly, he's glad to have the company. He keeps silent on the way up however as he pretty much doesn't know these people.

As it turns out, looks like things will be getting ugly. Alec can see what Daisy's whole plan was; bring Thetis here and ambush her with the three bullies. However the situation went about as well as a normal human trying to bring a sorcerer under his command. The three bullies quickly turned on Daisy and now she finds herself in a really unfortunate situation. Though Daisy did deserve a bit of punishment, this is clearly going farther than it should. Before, Alec would mostly stay back and watch as Arion deals with the situation at hand. Here Arion is not available; Alec can't rely on his more powerful master to resolve problems that the young sorcerer couldn't handle. With that in mind, Alec takes a moment to think before making any actions.

Upon Terry's suggestion to leave, Alec ignores it as he quickly moves forward and speaks firmly and bluntly. "Enough. Let her go." He is going to ask Daisy what had happened afterward but for now there are these bullies to deal with. His voice begins to darken as he narrows his eyes. "You three may think you are wolves, but you are no more sheep trying to pass off a wolf as the one you are holding. Now release her." Alec seems to not really take much of a care as he walks forward to the four. Insulting them like that probably isn't a good idea but with his tone he might be able to get them to at least be on the defensive.

Intimidation check to try and NOT be immediately hostile to Alec: [roll0]

ripleycat
2012-09-08, 01:06 PM
Cori shakes her head at the scene in front of them, then pulls her phone from her pocket and snaps a picture of Terry's less-than-innocent position. "Smile!"

"Ah, that came out nice. That's getting sent to Headmaster Summers. If you don't want it getting sent to the cops as well, you're going to let her go and you're going to leave right now. God, you three are just dumber than sacks of rocks."

Green Bean
2012-09-09, 12:30 PM
The three bullies look blankly at Alec. Mitchell speaks up first. "So, was that like a threat or...?"

Terry sighs theatrically at Cori's sudden bout of photography. "Really? That's how you want to play th-" He releases Daisy, who falls to the ground. Though that's probably less about doing what you say and more because he's charging at you almost too fast for the eye to follow.

Surprise round! Connor and Herbert can see it coming, so they can roll initiative to stop Terry if they wish.

Initiative Check: 1d20+8

smuchmuch
2012-09-13, 02:00 AM
Herbert isn't exactly sure if the situation really concerns him. Thetis isn't here, he has no idea who the other blond girl is except that she can try some kind of mental trick apparently and she kind of had it comming. While he doesn't like the threes asshats, there's ad difference between fighting back when they harass you and deliberatly meddling in their affair.
Honnestly Alec tirade made him about as confused as they are, that probaly sounded a lot deeper and threatening in Alec's head's that it came out. And the half snake monster can probaly take care of herself.

Honnestly not sure what to do here, from an Ic poV.
(Not saying Corri was asking for it but... showing the phone may not have been the smartest thing to do :smalltongue:)

If Herb does try to stop hjim, it'll be probaly with a trip.
Just in case:
Initiative [roll0]

Attack [roll1] (+4 if it falls under 'attack specialisation 'claws'
Dex [roll2]

Meh on reflection, nuffin'.

SuperCracker
2012-09-22, 04:46 PM
Connor Lawson

Even though Terry moved with blinding speed, Connor could sense where he was going. And so with a quick movement, he stepped in front of Cori, and held both of his hands out. His eyes flared up with endless cosmic power, and an increasingly violent gathering of energy formed in his hands.

“Enough of this crap.”

A transparent dome began to form over the rooftop, specifically over Terry and his goons, with a nice little overhand to prevent anyone from falling off of the roof (or in Daisy’s case, being thrown). Connor and those with Connor were left outside of the dome. They could see perfectly everything going on inside.

In big red letters in front of Terry as he charged (which he’d hopefully run into and hurt himself with), was written “KILL ZONE.”

“I want you… to think for a moment. I know it’s a foreign concept. But you’re now trapped in a container that I can fire into, but that you can’t do anything about. And I will. I’ll blast you all until you’re all sent to the hospital in comas. Now let Daisy go… and back—the f*** -- off.”

Used my Impervious, Selective, and a bunch of other stuff create object 8.

Green Bean
2012-09-23, 09:44 AM
Sadly, Terry stops before he smacks into the wall, standing right in front of the "KILL ZONE". He gestures to Alec and Herbert and speaks, muffled, but understandable. "Leave right now."

He takes a half step forward and hammers his fist into the structure, right between the "L" and "Z". The whole structure shudders and the entire wall facing you comes apart like cheap drywall. "You asked for this, dumbass. Mal?"

And battle has been joined. Roll initiative if you haven't yet (or optionally don't, if your name is Alec or Herbert)!

Mallory: [roll0]
Mitchell: [roll1]

ripleycat
2012-09-23, 12:03 PM
Though she knew he was capable of it, after the confrontation over Penelope earlier in the day, Terry's speed still shocks Cori, whose only response is to squeak in alarm and freeze in place. Then suddenly there's a shimmering energy wall between her and the threat. It doesn't last long, but it gives her time to stick her phone back in her pocket and take a deep breath.

"You asked for this, dumbass. Mal?"

"Yes, I think you have the right of it, Terry. Mal is indeed a dumbass. Nice to see you're catching on." Despite the increasingly dangerous situation, Cori can't help but take a shot at the bully's rather ambiguous language use.

Init: [roll0]

Starsign
2012-09-23, 12:32 PM
Alec decides to watch everything unfold after being rather ignored by the bullies. Not that he is surprised being rather frail and unintimidating. However watching the equivalent of a train in human form rushing towards you or someone right next to you is not a pleasant experience. Alec's eyes light up a moment before watching Connor putting up a force field... And then watching it shatter almost instantly. Right then is where Alec realizes he found himself in a very bad situation even if Cori enjoys taunting the bullies. Finding himself without Arion is definitely another experience entirely and he is as sure as hell not prepared. Why did Arion think Alec would be set for dimension travel in the first place, the young sorcerer just cannot remember.

Alec takes a step back before realizing just how mediocre his reflexes have become. Quickly he gathers dark red-ish energy in his fingertips and starts writing a runic symbol very similar to the one he made earlier at the library.

Rolled 7 for Init so just posting that he's actually preparing to do something if he isn't taken down beforehand.

Green Bean
2012-09-23, 05:27 PM
You all stand poised on the brink of violence. But in this bare instant before you prepare to do violence upon one another, you can't help but notice what a nice day it is, and how peaceful and quiet it must be up on this roof when gangs of teenagers aren't trying to beat each other senseless. The air is cool, and the autumn sun shines down on you with pale warmth. A wind carries a snatch of distant laughter from far below and far away.

"Everything is in constant flux on this earth. Nothing keeps the same unchanging shape, and our affections, being attached to things outside us, necessarily change and pass away as they do. Always out ahead of us or lagging behind, they recall a past which is gone or anticipate a future which may never come into being; there is nothing solid there for the heart to attach itself to. Thus our earthly joys are almost without exception the creatures of a moment...”
- Jean-Jacques Rousseau

"Bring it, you pretentious little chode!" Mallory isn't big on philosophy.

Initiative

Herbert
Connor
Terry
Mitchell
Cori
Alec
Mallory

smuchmuch
2012-09-28, 05:57 PM
Bravely, having no idea why he's even staying, Herbert take cover behind an air conditioner shaft.

ripleycat
2012-09-29, 03:16 PM
"Little? No, china doll. I'm a lot of things. Little isn't one of them." Cori uncoils and stretches to her full length. From tip to tail Gorgon is easily 25 feet long and when she rears up she towers over Mallory.

Cori's serpentine body flows around the goth girl, hemming her in on all sides with writhing emerald green scales. Her "hair" hisses loudly, writhing and snapping wildly, fangs inches from Mallory's face. Then, all at once, the coils tighten.

Elongation as a free action.

Suffocate (Fort save DC 18) for Mallory. Roll in the OOC because the board was being strange.

Green Bean
2012-09-29, 07:28 PM
Cori wraps herself around Mallory, but she's tougher than she looks (or at least her throat is).

Terry blurs over to the two entangled ladies and grabs hold of Cori. His strength is phenomenal, and he tries to tear Gorgon off his friend/minion.

Mitchell doesn't seem to do anything in particular, but Daisy, still on the ground, flinches and tries to back away from him.

Connor fires off a precisely controlled blast of potent cosmic energy at Terry in an attempt to interrupt his grappling.

Terry rolls:
Attack Roll: [roll0]
Grapple Check (if needed): [roll1]

Connor rolls:
Attack Roll: [roll2]
Terry Toughness Save (if needed): [roll3]

Terry gets one round of attempted grapple before being Bruised and Stunned