PDA

View Full Version : Dragon Messiah: Visions Unfold

Pages : [1] 2

planswalker
2012-07-17, 08:32 AM
One hundred years ago, eight of the mightiest heroes ever to enter the annals of legend rose up and lead the Prime Material to defend against the Fifth Demonic Invasion, lead by the terrible lichfiend Argobob. In the final battle, the great heroes successfully destroyed this fiend for good, dispersing his power and sealing off the Prime Material from the lower planes.

Since then, it has been a golden age of peace and prosperity. Julius Uldar, priest-king of the Empire and son of Michael Uldar the leader of the Eight Who Conquered Evil, rules the land with a just and fair hand. Amon de Lothele the drow dragonmage guards the Nexus and maintains the wards against the lower planes, ensuring that the fiends cannot once again invade. General, the original warforged, trains and leads the armies of the Empire, maintaining peace and strength throughout the Empire. Toronaga Shishioh returned to his homeland where his descendants still train in the martial style of the Ancient Warrior.

The other four have disappeared from legend, none save perhaps Amon knowing where to find them. Montezuma, the lhosk warchief, appointed his daughter to be the next chief and left the jungle, never to be seen again. Gumlee, the celestial troll, was last seen on the peak of Mount Ungoliant before disappearing in a flash of lightning. After the battle with Argobob, Lash the paragon xeph just vanished, running off into the sunset. For the first few years, Donnig the elven shaman worked to create a new grove of trees that eventually grew into the Wylde Forest before disappearing in their depths never to be heard from again.

Still, all these grand figures have little bearing on the life of a young man from the village of Enaria. Life in his sleepy town has been the same since before anyone can remember.

Aandilar grew up in the small village of Enaria, about one weeks ride from the capital of the Empire. His father was priest of the church there, his mother had passed away.

Aandilar spent much of his time studying the holy texts in the library of the church. His father approved of what he saw as devotion to the gods. Little did his father know that Aandilar was, in fact, practicing magic. Not just the Holy Magic either, for the Library had a large section on the Works of the Arcane.

When Aandilar came of age, he went out into the forest to fast for 3 days and 3 nights, as was customary in the village. On the third day, Aandilar had the first of his visions.

In the vision, Aandilar was approached by a being of bright light, and was told that he must journey from his village, and begin a might quest to save the Prime Material.

"But we are in a Golden Age of propserity!" cried Aandilar.
"Yes, but the world is in a peril the likes of which have never been seen before, striking down Argobob was probably the worst mistake in the history of the multiverse, his demise left a power vacuum that led the strongest, most despicable fiends to claw their way to the top." The light responded.
"What must I do?"
"You must become the Dragon Messiah."
"How?"
"Go to the capital, you will find more details on the prophecy there, from somewhere you least expect."
And then Aandilar blacked out.

Aandilar returned to his village a sad man, for he knew that he would have to leave, and maybe never return. He said his farewells to his father and few friends there, and went on his way into the capital, looking for more information on the prophecy...

The Capital, heart of the Empire and seat of House Uldar, is a grand, sprawling city with hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of residents. Over the heart of the city, the grand floating palace of House Uldar can be seen sparkling in the early morning sun. A few lesser buildings also float nearby, the abodes of the other major houses. The city itself is a sparkling jewel of silver ringed with marble. Every building within the city walls is made of marble of various shades, with the inner city gates marking the nobles' quarter marking the beginning of where all buildings are finished with silver trim. No expense has been spared to ensure the heart of the largest and most prosperous empire the world has ever known will impress the visitor. However, this grand, beautiful architecture cannot hold all the mass of people that call the Capital home. The city proper is dwarfed by the Outskirts, a vast network of housing, shops, temples, brothels, inns, taverns, workshops, smithies, and the rest of the buildings that make a city function. Sharply divided into four Quarters by the two main highways into the Capital, this is where the heart of commerce takes place. In each Quarter, the closer one gets to the walls of the city proper, the richer, more elegant, and more established the buildings become.

Andilar arrives at the edge of the city with the caravan that let him ride with them. After saying his farewells, he leaves the caravan to go through customs at the checkpoint in the gate. After entering through the palisade set a half-mile in front of the outer city, he sees that a festival of some sort is going on to the northeast, at the edge of the buildings.

Techwarrior
2012-07-17, 11:17 AM
Aandilar heads to the festivities in the northeast, trying to remember if there's a religious holiday, or if today is possibly a holiday in honor of some historic event. He dismounts his horse, Nelly, and leads her as he wracks his brain for this knowledge.

Knowledge (Religion): [roll0]
Knoweldge (History): [roll1]

planswalker
2012-07-17, 03:27 PM
It doesn't appear to be a religious or historical day today, so it's likely a local custom.

As you approach, a large dog covered in blue paint comes over and sniffs all around you. A pack of small boys smeared in blue follow close behind. The tallest of them, likely no older than nine, stops them and says to you "Hi, mister! You here for the Great Blue Harvest?"

Techwarrior
2012-07-17, 03:35 PM
"I'm afraid I'm unfamiliar with the Great Blue Harvest. I am a stranger here, only just arrived. What is this Great Blue Harvest?"

planswalker
2012-07-17, 03:47 PM
"It's the day that the wyldfae come out of the sky and trade with the city."

Techwarrior
2012-07-17, 03:54 PM
"What do they trade?"
Archivist Knowledge (on wyldfae) [roll0]

planswalker
2012-07-17, 04:00 PM
Wyldfae is a general term for those fae creatures that hold loyalty to neither the Seelie or the Unseelie courts. They are not properly organized like the fae courts, but they do have a sense of general identity. They tend to spend their time on the wilder, more chaotic near planes, only occasionally visiting the Prime Material, which is generally held among faekind to be a case of joint custody between the two Courts. Still, they will occasionally visit the Material when it suits them. Such visits often come at solar, lunar, or other astrological events.

One of the other boys pops up with "Old Garton told me! They trade us our foodstuffs for el-metal goods!"

Techwarrior
2012-07-17, 04:09 PM
"El-metal? Whats that?"

(not much like a successful knowledge check info piece :smallsmile: )

planswalker
2012-07-17, 05:29 PM
"The word is elemental, now stop badgering this visitor and get back to the fair. By the way, where's the great blue hound?" A very tall, broad man says from behind you.

With a start, the boys see that the dog has begun to chase fieldmice in the open field. They rush off after him.

"The name's Joss, and I've been appointed peacekeeper for the festival. What brings you here today?"

Techwarrior
2012-07-17, 08:39 PM
"My name's Aandilar, I actually have just arrived in the city and noticed the festivities. Those boys were telling me about the festival. Peacekeeper? Is there typically violence at these festivals?"

planswalker
2012-07-18, 05:02 AM
"We are dealing with the wyldfae. Overt violence is rare, but disorderly conduct that disrupts the festivities is not. Either way, peace is better maintained when a peacekeeper is present. Still, you should be perfectly safe, so long as you don't let them trade you anything for your future children."

Techwarrior
2012-07-18, 10:12 AM
Aandilar smiles at what he hopes was a joke.
"Well then, I guess I should go and see what they have over there. Good luck with your peacekeeping, hopefully nothing bad happens."
Having bid the man farewell, Aandilar heads over to the festivities, looking for the wyldfae.

planswalker
2012-07-18, 10:25 AM
Aandilar looks for wyldfae, and indeed he finds them! It's not too hard to spot the blue-skinned lion-like fey the size of dwarves, or the green skinned flowering fey a little taller than an elf, or the satyrs prancing about. Many smaller fey flit about on tiny gossamer wings. Most of the wyldfae are dancing about with the humanoids in their festivities or haggling with farmers over produce. A few, however, seem to be wandering around, not really committing to any one activity.

Techwarrior
2012-07-18, 10:35 AM
Aandilar spends a while walking around, talking to some passerby, and generally trying to get a feel for what all is going on, possible rumors and such.
Gather Information: [roll0]

planswalker
2012-07-18, 10:40 AM
As best he can tell in [roll0] hours of information gathering, this is a sort of interdimensional trading day where farmers trade some excess farm goods for small elemental trinkets to make life easier. A few city dwellers are sprinkled in among them, trading more exotic prepared dishes for similar trinkets.

Biggest news around is that the crown prince is said to be recruiting from among the lower class for squires for his royal guard. Normally, such a position is given to the sons of rich merchants looking for a more exciting vocation.

Techwarrior
2012-07-18, 10:55 AM
Aandilar goes to where this recruitment is happening, and watches the proceedings.

Techwarrior
2012-07-19, 01:44 PM
(Posting again, as the thread didn't update with my last post)

planswalker
2012-07-19, 02:08 PM
You are given directions to the nearest city watch compound, which can get you in contact with a palace representative who can discuss that with you. Apparently, there are so many applicants for this prestigious position that they're first screening out less worthy applicants at the city watch before taking those deemed worthy inside the inner city for further testing and training. About one in twelve people who apply at the watch make it to the inner city, and about one in five aren't sent back immediately. Even so, the royal guard will only need about 100 squires and it's expected that half of those who go through the training will not have a guard to squire for and instead be given a less prestigious position among the core of the city watch as elite watchmen.

Arriving at the local city watch garrison, you are quickly directed to the second undersecretary to the chief of the palace guard, who has been temporarily reassigned to help manage the applications into the royal guard.

"Hello, boy. How can I help you? Looking to apply for the royal guard position?"

Techwarrior
2012-07-19, 02:29 PM
"That depends, would the royal guard be accepting magic users, and if not, is there a different organization that does accept magic users you could point me in the direction of?"

planswalker
2012-07-19, 07:48 PM
"Yes, there is an arcane branch of the corps. There are only ten apprentice mage positions open, but the odds for getting in there are much better, since far fewer qualify. If you can prove to me true magical talent, I'll send you on to the royal guard barracks for further testing."

Techwarrior
2012-07-19, 09:05 PM
Aandilar chants briefly, and snaps his fingers. A Light stems from his fingertips. He smiles.
"That proof enough for you?"

planswalker
2012-07-20, 12:51 AM
"Anything more advanced? There are a few people gifted to be able to do a few cantrips with no potential to ever exceed those tricks."

Techwarrior
2012-07-20, 01:34 AM
"I apologize, the magicks that I currently have prepared do not have visual effects. I am most skilled in Abjuration magic."

planswalker
2012-07-20, 02:12 AM
"Any with tangible effects? Any of them make noise? Any funny odors? If all your spells prepared are intangible, invisible, and completely undetectable, I hope you can understand when I say please come back tomorrow with something you can show me."

Techwarrior
2012-07-20, 02:35 AM
"I understand. All of my current spells would be invisible to the untrained eye. Although, I could channel the magical energy into a healing spell, if that would be enough to prove to you that I am capable with magic."

Edit:
OOC: Yea, all of my spells are pretty much invisible or utility at the moment...

planswalker
2012-07-20, 11:04 AM
"Healing magic will work. Mind if I find us someone who has been injured in training for the more conventional positions? Just so when I send you on they can't accuse you of staging it."

Techwarrior
2012-07-20, 11:10 AM
"By all means, I would much prefer to tend to someone that actually is injured. Do you wish for me to follow you, or do you want me to stay here?"

planswalker
2012-07-20, 09:56 PM
"Dear boy, that's what an aide to the undersecretary is for." True to his word, he calls up an aide who runs off to the temporary infirmary set up next to the proving grounds. A few minutes later, he comes back supporting a girl with a bloody nose that slowly leaking down her chin. The left side of her face seems to have made personal contact with a blunted blade, as a rather large bruise is forming.

The girl is tall, taller than any of the three men in the room, her frame heavily built to match. She has bright orange hair cropped very short. Her green eyes seem more annoyed at the disruption to her chance to prove herself than any fear of the pain her walloping must have her under. She mutters "Damn boy got what's coming to him, holding back at first. Serves him right."

Apparently, you should have seen the other guy.

"Here we go, a freshly bruised applicant. Show me what you can do." the recruiter says.

Techwarrior
2012-07-20, 10:08 PM
Aandilar looks at the 'girl' with slightly widened eyes. She could probably beat me half to death, what is this prophecy thinking. Then he closes his eyes while he chants slowly, then reaches out and touches her lightly, healing her bruise.

Spontaneously casting Cure Light Wounds from a Sanctuary spell.
Healing [roll0].

planswalker
2012-07-20, 11:23 PM
You cast the spell to heal her, and not only is the bruising gone and her nose fixed, but she stands a little straighter.

"Thanks, priest-boy. What's the special occasion that I get the magic treatment?" She asks.

Techwarrior
2012-07-20, 11:38 PM
With a laugh.
"Same reason you got those bruises, from what I heard. I'm here to prove myself capable. My name's Aandilar.
He gives a slight bow.
"Judging from what you said when you came in, I take it your test went well?"

planswalker
2012-07-20, 11:55 PM
"You should see the test instructor. He's out cold." She says smugly. "The name's Aveline. Hope we'll see each other at the inner city." Satisfied, she saunters out to watch the rest of the applicants beat themselves bloody trying to qualify.

"Well, there we go. That was definitely a spell, of sufficient power to prove true talent. You cast it yourself with no outside aid, so I can safely say you didn't fake it. Report in at the Royal Guards' palace headquarters first thing Monday morning. I'll send in your name and application to the watch, who'll make sure you're on the list." The recruiter says. Apparently, qualified magic-users from the lower class who want to join the Royal Guard are hard to find, as you see the more mundane applicants have to struggle though filling out their own forms in addition to the severe physical tests to prove oneself.

Techwarrior
2012-07-21, 12:12 AM
"I will. Good day"
Aandilar nods, before turning to leave.
If it's getting closer to sunset, Aandilar will find an inn to stay for the night, otherwise he's going back to the festival.

What day is today?

planswalker
2012-07-21, 02:26 AM
It is Wednesday.

You've got a good three hours of daylight left.

When you return to the festival, things are going full-swing. It seems that most of the haggling is over and now everyone's beginning to celebrate.

Techwarrior
2012-07-22, 10:31 AM
Aandilar watches the celebrations off from one side, trying to avoid getting swept up into anything.

planswalker
2012-07-22, 03:35 PM
As you are standing there observing an increasingly chaotic celebration, a swarm of misicule little glowing fairies swarms around you, poking and prodding you, doing the tiny best to push you into the crowd of revelry. The net result is that it looks like a you are wearing a rainbow and trying to resist some magnetic pull into the crowd.

A nymph with a pair of young men at her shoulders walks over and says, "Little boy, come join the fun! The shimmerlings are very stubborn little things."

Techwarrior
2012-07-22, 10:04 PM
Aandilar sighs, sets his stuff down, and then joins in the revelry. He tries to keep an eye on his things at first, but is soon swept up in the celebration. Probably about an hour after he looks around and realizes he should probably find somewhere to stay for the night.

planswalker
2012-07-22, 10:47 PM
As the dancing winds down, a green-skinned woman with golden, leafy hair and bright yellow glowing eyes approaches you.

"Greetings, mortal. May I know your name?"

Techwarrior
2012-07-22, 10:51 PM
"But of course, fair lady. I am called Aandilar. Might I be graced with your name?"

Archivist Knowledge (on: What is she?): [roll0]

planswalker
2012-07-22, 11:02 PM
She is a killoreen, a type of wyldfae warrior-race that has three different aspects they can invoke. You can't recall which one she has active, but you recall that it's not the one for when they wish to stalk and kill enemies. They typically are honest and fair, if harsh when dealing with those they consider despoilers.

"I am called Kinonouna. Who are you?"

Techwarrior
2012-07-22, 11:18 PM
"As I said, I am Aandilar, Aandilar Vacasian. I hail from a small village called Enaria a small journey from here."

planswalker
2012-07-22, 11:20 PM
"I am Kinonouna, a vision-warrior of the Killoreen. What are you becoming?"

Techwarrior
2012-07-22, 11:46 PM
"I'm afraid I don't understand precisely what you mean..."

planswalker
2012-07-22, 11:49 PM
"You are touched with destiny. You have had a Dream. What are you becoming?"

Techwarrior
2012-07-23, 12:08 AM
"Well, the dream said I was to become the Dragon Messiah... Do you know anything of that?"

planswalker
2012-07-23, 12:11 AM
"Thrice I ask, and thrice you answer with the ring of truth. I am a prophet of destiny, come to warn you your fate is sealed in your dreams. Be careful when you speak in your dreams." She says as she walks away.

Techwarrior
2012-07-23, 12:32 AM
"Wait, but what-" Aandilar says before noticing the wyldfae has left.
Hm... maybe I should get some sleep, hopefully this'll make more sense tomorrow.
Aandilar gets his bags together, and assuming everything is how he left it, heads to a nearby tavern.

planswalker
2012-07-23, 12:39 AM
The nearest tavern is the Hanged man. Its sign includes a crudely drawn picture of a man in armor hanging by his ankles from a rope.

Inside, it is rather quiet and empty, a lone portly man behind the bar the only one inside.

"Retiring from the festivities early?" he asks.

Techwarrior
2012-07-23, 12:48 AM
"Yes, I'd like a room for the night."
Aandilar places a gold piece on the bar.
"Would you happen to know of anyone that might be in need of someone who isn't afraid of hard, possibly even dangerous, work?"

planswalker
2012-07-23, 12:55 AM
"Room'll be four silver, you'll get a roommate if I fill up unless you pay two gold up front to reserve the whole thing. As for work, check the shadowy corners tomorrow when I fill up. For some reason, hooded fellows always lurk there. you're in the imperial capital city. Imperial patrols from the Capital are a daily occurrence. You don't want to get caught doing vigilante work. Best to see about signing up with the watch outpost as a bounty hunter or look into temporary work with a licensed mercenary company. More... freelance work is difficult to recall, and certainly more dangerous." He says, rubbing your coin on the counter.

Techwarrior
2012-07-23, 01:03 AM
Aandilar lays another another gold piece on the bar.
"I'll have a room to myself."
Then he lays another three gold pieces on the bar.
"Maybe this will help you to recall that dangerous freelance work."

Diplomacy: [roll0] subtract 10 if you consider it rushed.

planswalker
2012-07-23, 01:05 AM
He swipes up the five gold coins. "You'll want to talk to old man McGregor. He knows all the shady jobs in town that are worth the risks. Be warned, though, he has no patience for those with a sense of honor. If he talks to you, you'd better be willing to accept what he offers. He pays good though, ten times the bounties from the watch at least."

Techwarrior
2012-07-23, 01:25 AM
"Where might I find this McGregor?"

planswalker
2012-07-23, 01:47 AM
"He has a vegetable stand he sets up every morning in the market square nearby. Buy three zucchini and four eggplants from him and he'll be willing to talk with you."

Techwarrior
2012-07-23, 09:09 PM
"Thank you for the information barkeep. I think I'll be turning in for the night, may I have the key to my room?"

planswalker
2012-07-23, 10:10 PM
He hands you an old black key. "Upstairs, second room on your right."

Techwarrior
2012-07-23, 10:22 PM
"Thank you."
Aandilar takes the key and heads upstairs; he sets his equipment down and locks the door behind him, and then goes to sleep.

planswalker
2012-07-23, 10:38 PM
In your dreams, a great blue dragon visits you. Somehow, you instantly know that this thing is no figment of your imagination. This dream feels terribly real. You also know instantly that this is a dream.

"Hello, mortal. What are you?"

Techwarrior
2012-07-23, 11:06 PM
"Well um, I'm a human..? Or did you mean something else?"

planswalker
2012-07-23, 11:31 PM
"No, wrong. Your race is human. But WHAT are YOU?"

Techwarrior
2012-07-23, 11:34 PM
"A magic user?"

planswalker
2012-07-24, 12:20 AM
"That is what you DO, not who you ARE. What ARE you?"

Techwarrior
2012-07-24, 12:24 AM
"A man of faith? The Dragon Messiah? I DON'T KNOW!" Aandilar screams.
"I don't know... I don't know... I don't know..."

planswalker
2012-07-24, 01:40 AM
"You don't know? Good answer. Try to find out." It says.

Techwarrior
2012-07-24, 06:21 PM
"Um... So, what now?"

planswalker
2012-07-24, 09:40 PM
"Well, I was going to exchange the question I asked for one from you, but you just asked one. Now I will wait while you try to figure out the best way to take advantage of this situation." It replies smugly.

Techwarrior
2012-07-24, 10:09 PM
"That's low. I would think that a dragon wouldn't need to stoop so low as to cheat people like that. If I'd have known you would allow me a question, I'd have actually asked a real question."
Aandilar glares at the dragon.

planswalker
2012-07-24, 10:21 PM
It chuckles. "Yes, I'm sure you would have. I am compelled to come visit you. I'm not compelled to be your pet little dream-dragon."

Techwarrior
2012-07-25, 02:16 AM
"Ah, an admitted cheat? No doubt a liar as well, I'm just as well off not asking you a question I think."

planswalker
2012-07-25, 02:23 AM
"Clever little manipulation. However, allow me to set the ground rules for you so you don't flop around quite so painfully. I will never lie to you, and I will never break any rules I would be expected to abide. However, I will do only exactly within the rules imposed upon me and to the exact terms of any agreement I make with you. I will do nothing to help protect you from your own folly. I also will not harm you in the dream-state, such has been forbidden to me. If your mind is attacked by an outside force while I am present, I will act to aid you as best I can, for while we share a dream-state, danger to you is danger to myself.

Beyond that, I am compelled to give you an opportunity to make a bargain with me for further services if you so need. However, I am NOT compelled to give you anything for free. All of the above shall be paid for by you not wasting my time accusing me of things you now know I will not do. Anything else you wish of me must have an equal exchange in some form."

SENSE MOTIVE: something in his words rings true. You are sure that everything he just told you is true.

Techwarrior
2012-07-25, 02:34 AM
"But why is this agreement necessary? What purpose do you have for being in my dreams? I don't even know what I'm supposed to be doing with this whole Dragon Messiah thing, much less deals with a dragon."

planswalker
2012-07-25, 02:38 AM
It sounds incredulous. You've at least managed to surprise it. "Do? You don't know?

Quite simply, you are going to save all dragonkind from being enslaved, thereby preventing us from being used to wage war on the multiverse, one which would be won by those who would enslave us. Do you now understand why a greater force may feel it an investment to compel a dragon to visit your dreams?"

Techwarrior
2012-07-25, 11:56 AM
"Oh... Well, yes, I believe I do understand now. Do you know anything about what will be involved in this whole 'saving the world' thing?"

planswalker
2012-07-25, 12:41 PM
"If I did, do you think I'd really be playing messenger to some mage barely out of diapers?"

Techwarrior
2012-07-25, 01:28 PM
"Do you know anything you would be willing to tell me?"

planswalker
2012-07-25, 03:45 PM
"Did you know that if you don't find and subvert this evil before it strikes in five years' time that I will most likely be sent to personally kill you? We do now have a psychic connection."

Techwarrior
2012-07-25, 09:16 PM
"No I did not, assume that I know nothing that you haven't told me, because that's all I know is what you have told me."
Aandilar pauses a moment.
"Do you have any information that I could use to do this task that has been set before me?"

planswalker
2012-07-25, 09:36 PM
"Yes I do, if you can offer me something in exchange."

planswalker
2012-07-25, 09:38 PM
"Yes I do, if you can offer me something in exchange."

Techwarrior
2012-07-25, 09:40 PM
"What did you have in mind?" Aandilar asks warily.

planswalker
2012-07-26, 01:19 AM
"Equal exchange of services. The more difficult it is to acquire the information you ask, the more will have to be done on your part to be granted the answer."

planswalker
2012-07-26, 01:25 AM
GLITCHBUSTING!

Techwarrior
2012-07-26, 07:35 PM
"Well, I want to know what I will have to do to save the world. What would I have to do to get that answer?"

planswalker
2012-07-26, 07:53 PM
"You would need to find the source of the power that will enslave the dragons and stop it from doing so. Ideally, you manipulate things so that the underworld is stabilized from its current chaos with a devil in place who won't be an immediate threat to the existence of all life. Probably by slaying worse threats until one deemed not overt enough is in place."

Techwarrior
2012-07-26, 08:13 PM
"That is at once supremely helpful and hopelessly vague. Is there a prophecy or some-such detailing what needs to be done? If so, where could I find it? Perhaps that would have more information."

planswalker
2012-07-26, 09:29 PM
"There is a prophecy, yes. I could help you discover it, but what could you give me for this help?"

Techwarrior
2012-07-26, 09:38 PM
"The promise that I will do my best to succeed at this saving the world thing?" Aandilar says sheepishly.
"What would you like? As you have said, I'm just an apprentice mage."

planswalker
2012-07-26, 09:47 PM
"You are in the capital, yes? I have a progeny which needs a place to grow up, a half-elven child. Convince the captain of the guard to take him in and I will get this information for you."

Techwarrior
2012-07-26, 10:30 PM
"Ok, who is this child?"

planswalker
2012-07-26, 10:32 PM
"It is not named yet. Convince the guard to take in my progeny."

Techwarrior
2012-07-26, 10:34 PM
"How will I know the child is the one you are looking for me to have the captain take in?"

planswalker
2012-07-26, 10:45 PM
"It's half-elven. Shouldn't be too hard to figure it out when the little scaled runt is dropped off on your doorstep. Can't be too many half-elf dragon progeny out there."

Techwarrior
2012-07-26, 11:24 PM
"Hm. Fair enough, I'll do it."

planswalker
2012-07-26, 11:31 PM
"Excellent. A thrall will deliver my progeny within the week. I will return to your dreams when I can answer your question."

Techwarrior
2012-07-26, 11:39 PM
"Ok good, do I wake up now? How does this whole dream thing work with that?"

planswalker
2012-07-26, 11:44 PM
You realize that the dragon is gone, and you are left in a lucid dream without another presence in your mind. You sleep the rest of the night dreaming of whatever you wish as you will.

In the morning, you awaken at dawn to find yourself rested, if a little stiff from sleeping on your left arm all night.

Techwarrior
2012-07-26, 11:56 PM
Aandilar studies his books and prays, then goes out to see about this McGregor fellow.

Sheet (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=423199) swapped out a few spells.

planswalker
2012-07-27, 12:26 AM
You do indeed find an old man selling vegetables from a stall in one corner of the square. He's flanked on each side by a meat pie vendor and shoe shiner. Overall, it appears to be a market day, as vendors in various stalls are set up all over the place. You see a few that seem to be re-selling the elemental trinkets from the festival yesterday.

Techwarrior
2012-07-27, 09:12 PM
I purchase 3 zuchinni and 4 eggplants.

planswalker
2012-07-27, 11:32 PM
With your vegetables, he slips you a piece of paper. He gives you a knowing nod and a smile. "Is that all?"

Techwarrior
2012-07-28, 12:12 AM
"I believe so, although I might be requiring more fruit later."

Aandilar stows the fruit in his backpack, and then heads back to the inn. He goes up to his room, then reads the scrap of paper.

planswalker
2012-07-28, 12:28 AM
"You know where I am."

On the paper is a short list of names, locations and times. Each name/place/time combo has a short description of the job entailed. At the bottom is a note:

Pick up the payout behind the tomatoes.

the jobs:

John Snow, Firelane Row, Noon: Get the protection money I'm owed.
Giblin Gobbingorgojjindilick, the Slate, evening: He needs an item acquired.
Evensnow, Harpy Square, Dawn: She was raped. Help her find revenge.
The Mulder, Scully Lane and Filler Road, midnight: bust up his gang.
Sisters of Salvation, the Hogshead Square, dusk: Protect them from the Mongoose gang.

Techwarrior
2012-07-28, 01:35 PM
If it's not too late already, Aandilar heads off to Harpy Square. Otherwise he goes for a stroll, trying to get a feel for the part of town he's in. Then heads off to Firelane row.

If neccassary Gather Info: [roll0]

planswalker
2012-07-28, 04:00 PM
You arrive at Harpy Square around dawn, where a solitary woman is getting sweeping the square.

Techwarrior
2012-07-28, 07:11 PM
"Miss Evensnow? I hear tell you are in need of some assistance?"

planswalker
2012-07-28, 07:13 PM
She looks up at you startled. "What?"

Techwarrior
2012-07-28, 07:15 PM
"Are you Miss Evensnow?"

planswalker
2012-07-28, 07:26 PM
"Yes." she says guardedly. Her knuckles whiten on the broom handle she is holding.

Techwarrior
2012-07-28, 08:10 PM
"I'm here to help. I was told that you needed help acquiring vengeance on someone."

Diplomacy: [roll0]

planswalker
2012-07-28, 10:55 PM
She breathes a sigh of relief. "Yes, I do. Hagran Yarsaff he- he hurt me last week and the Watch won't do anything about it."

Techwarrior
2012-07-28, 11:46 PM
"I'm not of the watch," Aandilar says with a smile. Yet
"Perhaps it would be best for you to come back to my room at the Hanged Man to discuss our plans for this Hagran."

planswalker
2012-07-28, 11:47 PM
She gets nervous at the mention of being alone with you in your room. "Um..."

Techwarrior
2012-07-28, 11:55 PM
Aandilar takes a step back.
"Whoa whoa whoa, that's not at all what I meant. I'm here to help remember? I'm not going to do anything like that to you."

planswalker
2012-07-28, 11:59 PM
"That's what he said." a note of accusation in her voice.

Techwarrior
2012-07-29, 12:18 AM
"Miss, if you would prefer, we could conduct this discussion wherever would best suit you. I'm not trying to harm you, only aid you in bringing someone who deserves it to justice."
Aandilar bows down before Miss Evensnow.
"I swear to aid you in this endeavor. I shall not harm you in any way. Ancestors bear witness, I so swear."
Aandilar steps up.
"Now, where would you wish to continue this conversation?"

planswalker
2012-07-29, 12:40 AM
"The Gamboling Fool?" she says, pointing to a nearby pub.

Techwarrior
2012-07-29, 12:54 AM
"Fine by me." Aandilar replies.
He heads off to the Gambling Fool, looking back once to make sure she follows.

planswalker
2012-07-29, 01:26 AM
The Gamboling Fool is rather quiet this early in the morning, only the barkeep seems to be up at this time. However, the place is open and you and Evensnow follows behind you. She leads you to a table near the center of the room, where the barkeep can clearly see you two but is unlikely to hear anything if you keep your voices low. He seems to respect this and busies himself cleaning mugs and whistling to himself.

Techwarrior
2012-07-29, 01:40 AM
"So, in what way were you hoping to take your vengeance?" Aandilar says in a low tone.

planswalker
2012-07-29, 02:15 AM
"That monster needs to die for his crimes." she says with a fierceness that's rather shocking, considering the fragile creature you escorted here.

Techwarrior
2012-07-29, 02:30 AM
"Then I only have 2 questions. First, where does he live? Second, are you hoping to come with, or should I take care of this myself?" Aandilar doesn't particularly like the idea of killing, but definitely agrees that this needs an exacting punishment.

planswalker
2012-07-29, 02:52 AM
"I-I don't think I can face him." she says. She give you his address, a small flat a few blocks away.

Techwarrior
2012-07-29, 02:54 AM
"On second thought, will he know that someone is coming or have some other reason to be looking over his shoulder so to speak?"

planswalker
2012-07-29, 01:47 PM
At this, she looks at you ashamed, her face downcast. "No, no. He knows his victims. None of us would dare cross him."

Techwarrior
2012-07-29, 02:47 PM
At this Aandilar looks shocked.
"Are you saying he's done this more than once?!" He asks.

planswalker
2012-07-29, 02:58 PM
"Of course. Do you think he waited until I moved into town before learning to be a predator?"

Techwarrior
2012-07-30, 05:37 PM
"I'll take care of it then." Aandilar says, a fierce glint in his eyes.

OOC
I apologize for the short notice on this...

I will have to go on a temporary hiatus of an undetermined length so that I can deal with a family matter either today or tomorrow. I will try to continue posting, but it will be incredibly sporadic, as I will not have easy access to the internet.

planswalker
2012-07-30, 07:27 PM
I understand. Don't sweat it, this is a solo game. It'll be here when you get back.

"Thank you." she says, reserved relief in her voice.

Techwarrior
2012-07-30, 08:08 PM
"Will you be here when I return? Do you want some kind of... proof? I won't do anything horrifically depraved."

planswalker
2012-07-30, 08:59 PM
"IF you actually kill him, it won't be hard to find out. He's not... inconspicuous."

Techwarrior
2012-07-30, 09:02 PM
Aandilar looks at her with questioning eyes.
"Does he have some kind of special talent I should know about, or is he just a common thug?"

planswalker
2012-07-30, 09:33 PM
"He is a warlock. He makes you... want to do things for him. He doesn't even hide his actions, as the Watch also 'wants' to do things for him."

Techwarrior
2012-07-30, 09:52 PM
"Doesn't sound like much trouble. I'll be right back."
Aandilar heads off to this creeps house, he also fires off a scroll of Mage Armor

planswalker
2012-07-30, 10:32 PM
You arrive at the front door of a small, neatly maintained house in the middle of a neighborhood of houses that would have been identical if they'd also been meticulously maintained. As it was, this house was spotlessly clean in the middle of a neighborhood that, while not decrepit by any stretch of the imagination, was filled with all the usual signs of habitation by people who spent most of their waking hours working for a living.

There is no one outside the house, and the single door appears locked. Both windows have thick black curtains over them.

Techwarrior
2012-07-30, 10:47 PM
Are there any other entrances? Possibly a side door on an alley, or a backdoor?

planswalker
2012-07-30, 11:37 PM
None are apparent from the front, but you do seem to recall that there's a back alley behind the houses. However, the houses in this district are built with the walls of one house touching the walls of its neighbors, likely because they were build off the building before it. Your sense of tactics indicates that, with the main road blocked off, most buildings in this district could become walls used to slow down invaders.

Techwarrior
2012-07-30, 11:48 PM
Aandilar goes around to that back alley.

planswalker
2012-07-30, 11:58 PM
The back alley does indeed have backdoors that lead out from each house. Each of them seems to be reinforced with steel bars. Testing the handles on a door will reveal that they seem to be locked. There are no windows on the backs, not that there would be anything but a near-identical back of a house to look at. Again, Hagran's house isn't hard to spot. It's the only one that is meticulously clean.

Techwarrior
2012-07-31, 12:11 AM
Did the windows have glass? Or were they just empty?

planswalker
2012-07-31, 12:12 AM
The two front windows were indeed just gaps in the wall with wood cross-bracing.

Techwarrior
2012-07-31, 12:20 AM
Aandilar goes around to the front, waits until no one appears to be looking, and then climbs up through one of the windows.

planswalker
2012-07-31, 12:27 AM
Although possible to squeeze through, the windows are a tight fit. You'll need an escape artist check to pull that off.

Techwarrior
2012-07-31, 12:40 AM
[roll0]
If that fails, Aandilar is willing to take 20, and hope that he doesn't get caught.

planswalker
2012-07-31, 01:32 AM
It fails, and halfway through your efforts to meticulously wriggle your way inside, a rich, masculine voice says, "Boy, if you wanted to see me, all you had to do is knock." From your position, all you can see is well-tailored brown leather pants and heavy leather boots.

Techwarrior
2012-07-31, 01:36 AM
Aandilar pulls himself out of the window, and looks up at the man, all smiles.
"Yes, I did want to see you, I have some information about someone who is trying to do you in, so I've come to warn you."

Bluff: (if necassary)
[roll0] Aandilar has chosen his words carefully, and actually is telling the truth. He did wish to speak with him before he killed him.

planswalker
2012-07-31, 01:44 AM
"I take it that someone who feels I have wronged them has hired you to kill me? Please tell me that you're not quite as stupid as you look, breaking into my house through the window an hour after dawn. Still, you want to talk? Let's talk. But first, how about I unlock the door and let you in before a neighbor reports you to the watch?"

Techwarrior
2012-07-31, 02:02 AM
"I'm not here to kill you, I'm just here to warn you about someone who will kill you. But sure, let's go inside. I was hoping to just leave you a note."

Bluff: (crosses fingers)
[roll0]

planswalker
2012-07-31, 04:38 AM
He winces in pain at that last line. "Look, kid, you've got some good ideas. Mix in truth, whip it up until it's done right, and keep it simple. But you're going about it all wrong. Your voice changes more that chiorboy halfway to manhood. You hold your breath for about three seconds too long after you finish your piece. If you don't stop lying, it's just going to be painful."

After he lets you into a clean, immaculate receiving room, he says, "Here, allow me to demonstrate: I will lie to you and give you a truth about something. Discern which one is which, if you can."

"I use money that I gain through abusing dark powers to hire the best cleaning staff in this part of town."

"I use my dazzling charm and goodwill to convince my neighbors to act as my household servants at the expense of their own at times."

"And yeah, I'm not going to pretend to be a righteous man. Whatever woman set you on my trail, I'm sure that protesting my innocence will not deter you."

that'll be two sense motive checks. I'm allowing you to roll them because this bluff is coming up in peculiar circumstance.

Techwarrior
2012-07-31, 05:39 AM
......I'm so screwed...
[roll0]
[roll1]

planswalker
2012-07-31, 12:44 PM
You cannot tell which one is the lie.

The look of confusion on your face says it all for him.

"Look, fella, I'm sure you mean well, but you're outclassed. You clearly don't know what you're doing int the 'vigilante justice' department. I don't want to see you get yourself hurt or get in trouble with the law. You've got a good heart, and I respect that. Ever consider signing up for the Watch? They train you for this kind of stuff, and you'd then be working with the law instead of against it. Of course, the pay's not as good as bounty hunting. Still, dead men neither get nor spend coin." Throughout the whole speech, he keeps it very non-threatening. His body language tells you that he would never harm you, he's just trying to give you advice before you hurt yourself.

"Besides which, not giving names of course, but what crime did you think you were gonna punish me for?"

Techwarrior
2012-07-31, 03:29 PM
Aandilar's eyes narrow in anger.
"Which? You already suspect that I've been sent here by some girl, if you have to ask what crime I'm here about, I have to believe that you've committed more than one type of horrible crime. I can't just let you keep walking about so you can commit further atrocities."

planswalker
2012-07-31, 04:59 PM
"Accusation is not the same as conviction. I have been accused of such diverse things as illicit relations with a fiend, murder, worship of dark powers, theft, aron, murder, rape, and, of all things, littering. I daresay that it would be truly impressive if I could manage all of those things from my small home. At the moment, most of the people I know who are powerful enough to take a hit out on my head are female. The man most likely to want to send a young vigilante after me would have armed you better than this. Thus, I am reasonably sure it is a woman."

"I am sure you don't want to believe a word I say. Righteous indignation, I am sure. I'll bet that there's nothing I can say which will convince you that I am innocent of the accusation. But ask yourself, on what do you base your judgment of my guilt? I dearly hope it's more than just the word of one person. If you really want to bring justice to the streets, make sure to investigate the facts so that you know that you're not being deceived by a good liar."

Techwarrior
2012-08-02, 05:58 PM
"I already know that you're a good liar, how do I know you aren't decieving me."

Aandilar waits until he thinks Hagran isn't looking, then slowly draws his light crossbow under the table, trying not to make any noise or get noticed.

OOC:
I"m back.

Techwarrior
2012-08-02, 06:00 PM
OOC: Forgot to make a check. I'm pretty sure that's a Sleight of Hand check? Or maybe a Dex check, either way it's the same for Aandilar.

[roll0]

planswalker
2012-08-02, 08:03 PM
"I'm not asking you to believe me about anything. I'm asking you to think. HOW do you know I am guilty of whatever crime it is you assume I am guilty of? I'd like to point out that you won't even tell me what I'm accused of, much less let me face my accuser. If you are going to take justice into your own hands, make sure you do so knowingly."

Techwarrior
2012-08-02, 11:52 PM
"Very well, you stand accused of the rape of Miss Evensnow, and from what she tells, many other woman. I have it from other sources, so don't you try and lecture me on how I should investigate things."

Aandilar waits for Hagran to begin his response, then pulls his crossbow out from under the table quickly and shoots him with the crossbow. He then stands up, preparing himself for the fight.

Attack: [roll0]
Confirm: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2]

OOC:
Do you do fractional BAB and saves? I just realized how horribly all over the place my BAB and saves are going to be otherwise. If so, at the moment that would add one to my attack rolls, and subtract one from my will saves.

planswalker
2012-08-03, 12:52 AM
You fire your bolt and strike true. However, the bolt barely pierces his skin. He looks at it for a moment, takes the bolt out, and says, "Look, I'll give you a chance to leave before you hurt yourself. You're not equipped for this fight."

spends his turn not doing anything particularly useful. your turn.

no, I don't use partial bab/saves, sorry. dem's da breaks.

Techwarrior
2012-08-03, 01:38 AM
That's fine, just figured I'd check, some people consider it so integral that it goes without saying, some think that it's a bad set of rules and don't wish to use them. I happen to fall somewhere in the middle.

"Never, you've hurt too many people for me to let you get continue breathing." Aandilar is shocked at the bolt not hurting the man, and quickly runs through his mind for what might have caused it, and how to combat it. (I'm assuming that he's of high enough level to have DR from Warlock, but IC I don't know that.) He drops his crossbow, and while he works on that in the back of his mind, he reaches for his magic and sends forth a bolt of energy, then closes in.

Free action for Knowledge checks and dropping a weapon (the crossbow).
Knowledge (Arcana) [roll0]
Archivist's Knowledge: [roll1]

Standard action to cast Magic Missile for [roll2] Force damage.

Move action to move next to him.

planswalker
2012-08-03, 01:44 AM
You quickly take stock of what could have caused him to ignore that damage, and quickly realize that you are dealing with a warlock of at least moderate talent. He likely has a spell or two at his disposal in the form of an invocation. Furthermore, his eldritch blast can be quite deadly.

Your missile flies at him and impacts squarely in his chest. He grunts from the impact but does not appear to be that badly injured from it.

You advance right next to him.

"Boy, that was a mistake." He says. He begins to cast an invocation at you, providing you an opportunity to attack.

full 3 damage was dealt, just not a major chunk of his hp from that.

AoO for you, if you can take it. Also roll a will save in case the invocation goes off.

Techwarrior
2012-08-03, 01:53 AM
Aandilar is currently unarmed, and realizes it immediately. I need to get a weapon out, and fast. He braces himself for some form of assault from the invocation.

Will save: [roll0]

planswalker
2012-08-03, 02:01 AM
forgot to mention that you could roll spellcraft to ID the effect.

You feel a gentle presence enter your mind, and suddenly, you don't know why you were so hostile towards him. He's been nothing but patient and kind to you, and he hasn't even retaliated against you for your hostilities. Perhaps attacking him isn't the best idea.

After all, he seems quite reasonable and would like to help.

you are under a charm effect. You now regard him as a friend and ally, unwilling to commit hostile action against him so long as he doesn't do anything to break the effect. Besides that, you are still you and recall everything from before. It's just that he's now your new best friend for the duration of the spell.

"Wouldn't you rather talk this out?"

Techwarrior
2012-08-03, 02:05 AM
"Yea, sorry about before. I don't know what came over me."
Maybe Evensnow was wrong, this guy seems pretty decent.

OOC:
First save, and I bungle it. Just my luck I guess.

planswalker
2012-08-03, 02:13 AM
"Look, I'm a reasonable guy. If someone feels I've wronged them, I'm more than willing to talk with them about it. Why don't you bring Miss Evensnow by so she and I can talk about things and find out why she's really upset with me. If she'd prefer, you can come too to help make her less nervous. Sound reasonable? If I truly have hurt her, I fully intend to make it up to her."

Techwarrior
2012-08-04, 02:20 AM
"Well, uh, there's a problem with that... I promised the girl that hired me, that I wouldn't return until I had killed you."

Aandilar's the type that his word means a lot to, had to look at the charm subtype description to make sure I didn't auto-break that just by him suggesting Aandilar break his word. Also... Aandilar never said anything about it being Evensnow :smallconfused:

planswalker
2012-08-04, 02:38 AM
"Very well, you stand accused of the rape of Miss Evensnow, and from what she tells, many other woman.

yes you did.

the only thing which breaks a charm is him or his allies directly threatening you. Your thing about oaths means that you're not going to just go jump up and do as he asks, but it doesn't break the charm effect by itself. You now have the dilemma that you've promised to kill your best friend.

"Miss Evensnow is a very disturbed young woman. She needs help. Apparently, she thinks I raped her. You say you have 'other sources' that corroborate her. What are they? If they were serious enough to convince you to take an oath to kill me, they must be very reliable."

Techwarrior
2012-08-06, 12:11 AM
"Al-alright, Aandilar says, I'll go see if I can find her." Aandilar stutters. He turns to leave and goes back to his room at the Hanged Man, goes up to his room and meditates, trying to figure out how he's going to deal with this. He feels torn and indecisive, as he really wants to be able to keep his word, but he doesn't want to kill his friend.

OOC:
Sorry about the wait, I was trying to figure out how Aandilar would react to that. I'm used to playing stealthy characters that wouldn't have gone in like that. Aandilar is totally different than that though.

planswalker
2012-08-06, 12:14 AM
perhaps your character needs help on this one...

too bad you don't know anyone who could help you...

like maybe a royal guard in training who thrashes people...

Your meditations clear your mind, but mystic answers from the beyond escape you.

Techwarrior
2012-08-06, 12:24 AM
That's actually a very good idea...

Aandilar heads to the Guard post where he underwent testing, and asks if he can see Aveline.

planswalker
2012-08-06, 12:28 AM
"Depends on why you want to see her." a gruff-sounding sergeant asks.

Techwarrior
2012-08-06, 12:37 AM
"I'm a priest. I wish to speak to her on a matter of faith. If now is a bad time I can come back later, but I'd really prefer to see her now. I'd only be borrowing her for a short while." Aandilar replies.

planswalker
2012-08-06, 12:48 AM
"Very well."

He lets you pass and indicates a door. When you open it, you see that it is a room packed with bunk beds filled with recruits. As you enter, everyone goes dead silent and stares at you.

Techwarrior
2012-08-06, 12:56 AM
"Whoa. I need to speak with Miss Aveline. If she'd come with me now." Aandilar looks around, trying to not look as shell-shocked as he feels.

planswalker
2012-08-06, 12:58 AM
Instantly, you hear catcalls and wolf whistles from a couple of yokels in the back.

Aveline, her face beet red, walks over to you from somewhere in the middle of the room.

"There better be a good reason why you embarrassed me right now."

Techwarrior
2012-08-06, 01:08 AM
Yea, and I'll tell you all about it. Outside." Aandilar turns to leave, stopping outside the barracks as soon as they are alone.
"Sorry about that, I didn't think that they'd act up like that. I'm a little new to this kind of thing. I hope I haven't done any permanent embarrasment."

planswalker
2012-08-06, 01:33 AM
"Well, the fancy young mage comes in and sweeps the rough girl off her feet and out the barracks just before they're to go to practice before mustering out this afternoon. The same one who gave her extra special treatment by healing her of the injuries the rest had to suffer through. The teasing of her magic boyfriend were only reinforced today." The sergeant says nonchalantly.

Aveline leads you off to an empty room in the building, but one where the sergeant has a clear view of the two of you from the open door.

"Now that you've permanently humiliated me in front of my peers, please tell me what is so important as to be worth this."

Techwarrior
2012-08-07, 12:28 AM
"I'm sorry. If I'd known that coming to you with my trouble would cause you such embarrassment and ridicule, I'd have tried to find someone else, only to remember that I don't know anyone else in this god forsaken town." Aandilar says in a small voice, eyes averted.
"Before we discuss my own troubles, is there anything I can do to help you with the trouble I've caused?" Aandilar asks looking up hesitantly.

planswalker
2012-08-07, 12:39 AM
"Either go out with me so I get the benefits along with the troubles or maybe cast a spell to teach the boys to mind their manners." She says. "It's nothing I haven't dealt with before. Being a woman in a man's world isn't easy, but I'll survive this."

"Anyways, what's the trouble? I assume that this isn't really a social call."

Techwarrior
2012-08-08, 02:22 AM
Aandilar is shocked at the boldness of her words, and it probably shows.

"I'd definitely be willing to go out and do things with you Aveline."
He pauses for a moment before continuing. Then spews his next words at
high speed.

"I was talking to this woman because she had asked for some help, and she said she was raped. So I had her tell me the story, and she told me who the guy was, and seemed really disturbed. She told me that he had done it before to other girls. She asked me to kill him, and I promised her that I would. So I went over to his house, which she told me where it was at, then I was talking to him, and he said that he didn't, but he boasted about being accused of a whole slew of crimes, but never convicted. Then I got angry and attacked him, and figured out he was a warlock. But then I realized that what he was saying really made sense, and I want to trust him. She was so disturbed though... I guess I came here to ask for help on what to do... She seemed so sincere, but Hagran was just so friendly and upright. I promised to kill him, and I don't want to break my word, without it, I'm nothing, but I don't think I can kill him..."

planswalker
2012-08-08, 02:26 AM
She stares at you blankly. "You promised to murder someone and you're worried about honor? Are you sure you know what that word means?"

Techwarrior
2012-08-08, 02:43 AM
"At the time I was under the belief that he had committed horrible atrocities against multiple people. Now I don't even know what's going on in my own head."

planswalker
2012-08-08, 02:48 AM
"Well, for starters, please tell me you didn't decide this man was guilty based on the witness of one sobbing woman. Ever heard of a con?"

Techwarrior
2012-08-09, 11:42 PM
"Well, not precise- Yes. I'm not exactly all that knowledgeable when it comes to that kind of thing, and didn't really think about it. I grew up in a small village. Everyone knew each other too well to lie to each other all that much. This is really my first time out of the village... I've been conned..." Aandilar says, looking very melancholy.

planswalker
2012-08-09, 11:47 PM
"Well, from what I gather, you met a sobbing woman who says she's been raped, and you promise to kill her 'rapist' for her. You break into the man's home in broad daylight, he catches you, and talks to you politely the whole time, playing up a scary warlock motif while denying the crime. You get confused and run in to the barracks to ask my help. Am I missing part of the picture?"

Techwarrior
2012-08-10, 01:00 AM
"No." Aandilar looks more shame-faced by the second.

planswalker
2012-08-10, 01:11 AM
"Just leave vigilantism to those who know what they're doing. I recommend you just walk away from this one."

Techwarrior
2012-08-13, 09:16 PM
"Aye," Aandilar replies in a rather downcast fashion.
"I think you might be right. I should stay out of that kind of thing until I know what I'm doing. If that ever happens. I have always been on the naive side."

Edit: Sorry about the delay, had to spend this weekend getting ready for class.

planswalker
2012-08-13, 09:21 PM
"Well, no harm done. You didn't murder the creepy warlock, you didn't namedrop his victim, and he's not likely to press charges for you breaking into his house. No harm, no foul."

Techwarrior
2012-08-16, 06:06 PM
"Right. So, do you have to go now or did you want to go do something together?"

Edit: Were you referring to me in your post in the Heirs of Prophecy OOC?

planswalker
2012-08-16, 06:19 PM
She raises and eyebrow at you. "Are you asking me out?"

Techwarrior
2012-08-16, 07:14 PM
Aandilar blushes fiercely.
"Yes, yes I am."

planswalker
2012-08-16, 07:32 PM
"I'm supposed to be on duty soon, but how about after practice? Hour after sundown?"

Techwarrior
2012-08-16, 07:55 PM
"Sounds good, where do you want to meet me, as I would assume here would not be the greatest place."

planswalker
2012-08-16, 08:20 PM
"Pick me up just outside the barracks."

Techwarrior
2012-08-18, 11:53 PM
"Sure thing, try not to get too roughed up."

planswalker
2012-08-18, 11:58 PM
"If I do, give me some more of that holy touch of yours." She flirts as she returns to the barracks. You didn't know someone COULD pull off such a flirty walk in in scale mail.

Techwarrior
2012-08-21, 03:18 PM
Aandilar stares after her for a few moments, then leaves the barracks hastily. He spends the next few hours trying to figure out what there is to do in this city that he could take a date to. Hopefully something that some semblance of romanticism.

Gather Info- [roll0]

planswalker
2012-08-21, 04:33 PM
You learn of a traveling gnomish opera performing this week. Some classical piece about a brave heroine who falls for a dark sorcerer.

The Motley Men of Might are performing acts of legerdemain, magic, and beauty tonight at sunset.

The priestesses of Krolm have challenged the heirophants of Kord to a re-enactment of the Nine Acts of Heracros, to be performed live simultaneously. The audience will have a chance to vote on who gave the better performance.

Techwarrior
2012-08-23, 08:59 PM
Aandilar heads to wherever they would be selling tickets for the Motley Men's show at sunset in an attempt to procure two tickets for the show. That sounds romantic.

planswalker
2012-08-24, 12:50 AM
The tickets are a simple six copper apiece. If you mention that this is a date with a girl, the musclebound man selling you the tickets will say, "Ah, love. Tell you what, kid, both tickets for a silver. I'll pay the extra copper. Love shouldn't cost you at all, but what can we do? This world is just so imperfect."

Techwarrior
2012-08-25, 01:29 AM
"Thank you sir." Aandilar wouldn't have mentioned that it was for a date unless asked, and even then would have insisted paying the full price.

Other than that, I believe that Aandilar doesn't have anything in particular he would be aiming to do until he went to pick up Aveline.

planswalker
2012-08-25, 11:53 AM
You spend the afternoon hunting down tickets and doing not much of anything in particular. A lady selling apples takes a liking to you and gives you three of them in exchange for a prayer to the gods on her behalf.

Techwarrior
2012-08-26, 10:51 PM
After such a fine afternoon of meandering, Aandilar meanders slowly to the barracks. When he sees the barracks, he realizes that Aveline still will be on guard duty an hour after the show begins, stomach sinking. They'd at least miss the first act.

OOC:
Was there any mention of how long the show might last, or when the other two events might occur?

planswalker
2012-08-27, 07:47 AM
oops, forgot to mention that :smallredface:

The opera starts at 8pm, about an hour and a half after sunset at this time of year.

The re-enactment is to begin at 10pm and end at midnight.

The MMM never really advertised how long their show would take. It seems they assume you'll either already know from experience or not particularly care. Their goal, of course, is to have you so mesmerized that the time passes before you know it.

Techwarrior
2012-09-01, 05:09 AM
Aandilar pockets the other two apples and the now-useless tickets for the show, then attempts to hunt down some last minute tickets to the Opera before he has to pick up Aveline.

planswalker
2012-09-01, 08:11 PM
You manage to, but they cost your [roll0] gold each, as you have to haggle with someone who had already bought them for them.

"And I'm only giving them to you at that price because not enough young folk appreciate fine opera nowadays."

Techwarrior
2012-09-02, 08:55 PM
"Thank you sir, I appreciate your kindness greatly."

With the Opera tickets in hand, Aandilar proceeds to the spot just outside the barracks where Aveline told him to meet her. He times his arrival for just before one hour after sundown. When she arrives, Aandilar offers her an apple and asks, "So how was your first day?"

planswalker
2012-09-02, 09:09 PM
"Of formal training? bloody, brutal, and tiring. I didn't know it was possible to get bruises everywhere I did. I'd kill for a bit of healing magic to soothe my aches."

Techwarrior
2012-09-02, 09:42 PM
Aandilar Spontatnously casts Cure Light Wounds from a prepared Entropic Shield spell, healing [roll0].

"That better?"

planswalker
2012-09-03, 08:06 PM
She looks at you with glee. "Ooh, yes, much. You really know how to treat a lady."

Techwarrior
2012-09-06, 09:20 PM
"Well, you know what they say about them country boys."

Aandilar says with a wink. He pulls out the tickets to the opera from his pockets, and looks at them with faux astonishment.

"I seem to have happened upon two tickets to a gnomish opera that starts in half an hour. Would you happen to be available for such an occasion, Miss Aveline?"

Winking, me? what is going on here?!

planswalker
2012-09-06, 10:26 PM
"Well, heal up a girl and then ask her out. You know how to make it hard to say no."

Techwarrior
2012-09-06, 10:45 PM
"Is that a yes?"

Techwarrior
2012-09-13, 08:19 PM
(The post bug strikes again!)

And here that's where my smoothness ends..

planswalker
2012-09-13, 08:57 PM
"It's hardly a no, now is it? Let's go."

Techwarrior
2012-09-13, 09:25 PM
"Alright then."

Aandilar takes Aveline's hand in his and heads off to the opera with her.

planswalker
2012-09-13, 10:09 PM
On your way to the opera, she asks you, "So, mysterious magic man who came in out of nowhere and soothed all my aches, where do you come from?"

Techwarrior
2012-09-13, 11:18 PM
Aandilar laughs, a hearty chuckle, before answering.

"A little sleepy village called Enaria. It's about a week's ride from here. It's right up against the edge of the forest. Sometimes, when the sun sets just right, it plays against the trees and makes the most beautiful array of colors. Oranges, yellows, and the occasional purple shine through the leaves as the sun sets. It's truly beautiful. When I was much much littler, I used to sneak out in order to see the sunset. It was the absolute best when I was most of the way up a tree."

Aandilar pauses and takes a deep breath, his eyes go distant, like he's seeing it again.

"How about you, where are you from?"

planswalker
2012-09-13, 11:25 PM
"Grew up in the slums just outside of the city. Daddy taught me how to handle myself in a fight, and then I heard of the chance to join the royal guard and get myself and my mother out of the slums. Daddy died in a mugging a few years ago.

That forest of yours sounds beautiful. If I'm ever over that way, I'll be sure to stick around for sunset."

Techwarrior
2012-09-20, 02:44 AM
"That's.. that's just awful... I'm sorry to hear that Aveline. I know what it's like to lose a parent. My mother died when I was very little. She just got sick and never got better. Dad tried everything he could to help her, but whatever it was just couldn't be cured by his magic. I guess maybe that's why I studied both arcane and divine magic. I thought that if I knew both, I'd be able to help anyone, no mater what."

planswalker
2012-09-20, 08:15 AM
"Well, you've certainly helped me." She says as the two of you arrive at the opera house.

Techwarrior
2012-09-21, 08:57 PM
Aandilar smiles at that.

"I have, haven't I?"
Aandilar looks around the opera house looking for whomever might be taking tickets, should he see no one doing that, he steps inside if that looks acceptable.

planswalker
2012-09-21, 09:07 PM
There is a ticketmaster at each entrance who takes your tickets as the two of you enter. You have arrived early enough that there are still seats free in most of the house, though things are beginning to fill up.

Techwarrior
2012-09-22, 09:18 PM
Aandilar turns to Aveline.
"Where would you like to sit?"

planswalker
2012-09-22, 09:26 PM
"I don't know. This is my first time to attend an opera."

Techwarrior
2012-09-23, 09:41 AM
"Alright lets sit... Somewhere in the middle.."
Aandilar becomes quite awkward, he looks for seats that are pretty much right in the middle of everything. He's new to this, and it probably shows.

planswalker
2012-09-23, 06:51 PM
You find a pair of seats in the middle and sit down. Just before the play begins, a portly elven woman of indeterminate years sits next to you.

"Why, hello there young man. I don't believe I've met you or your date before. Are you new to the opera?"

Techwarrior
2012-09-27, 06:29 PM
"Yes we are," Aandilar says with a warm smile. "My name is Aandilar, what can you tell us about this show Ma'am?"

planswalker
2012-09-27, 07:33 PM
She grins. "Ooh, you will be in for a treat tonight! I can't give anything away. Sweeney must be experienced for the first time unadultered."

Techwarrior
2012-09-28, 04:45 PM
"Um, thank you I think... This is Aveline, and I am Aandilar. Who are you, ma'am? If you don't mind my asking."

planswalker
2012-09-28, 04:58 PM
"Call me Mellie. The full name is far too stuffy for the play we are about to watch."

Techwarrior
2012-09-29, 08:51 PM
"Where are you from Mellie, I haven't seen many elves around here so far."

planswalker
2012-09-29, 09:15 PM
"Oh, I follow the troupe. My husband used to own the crew back in the day. Nowadays I give voice lessons to the new actors and they keep me fed and warm, and let me watch all the shows. It's a good way to retire."

Techwarrior
2012-09-30, 10:21 PM
"Wow, Ma'am that sounds exciting. I've always wondered, how do the stories get written? I'm a pretty rabid reader, but I've never understood how the stories got written."

planswalker
2012-10-01, 06:17 AM
"Some are cleaned up versions of real life, some are manufactured in the heads of the overactive imagination of writers, and then there are the truly good ones like tonight: based on a legend and no one is sure how true it is."

Techwarrior
2012-10-02, 03:08 PM
"I love legends! I've tried to read as many of them as I can, but Enaria's library focused more on the mystical arts then history. Which legend is this one based on?"

[roll0] Knowledge History on the legend
[roll1] Also Archivists Knowledge

planswalker
2012-10-02, 07:14 PM
"The demon tailor of Naval Row." She says.

You recall something about an urban legend in the Capital of a tailor who went mad and killed his customers with poisoned sewing needles while fitting them for clothes. The verifiable facts of the matter are that a tailor moved into the town two centuries ago, set up shop, and there were a rash of unexplained disappearances a month later that lasted nearly a year. Nothing concrete ever linked the tailor to the disappearances, but rumors about the enigma later say that he killed them and used their bodies to feed his pet demons.

Techwarrior
2012-10-07, 11:50 AM
Aandilar's eyes go wide.
"Ooh,"
Then he turns to Aveline,
"This is going to be interesting."

planswalker
2012-10-07, 02:49 PM
"You'll have to forgive me for being a poor city local, but what is the demon tailor of Naval Row."

Techwarrior
2012-10-09, 11:21 PM
"The demon tailor of Naval Row moved into town two centuries ago, had a fancy tailoring shop, and then there was a bunch of unexplained disappearances beginning about a month afterward that lasted for a year. Nothing ever linked the tailor to the disappearances, but rumors say he killed them and used the bodies to feed demons."

planswalker
2012-10-10, 09:05 AM
nice copy/paste

"Ah."

The curtain opens, and the play begins. The principal character Sweedeniny Toddilitty, a gnomish tailor recently come to the Capital. He quickly befriends a young half-elven lass named Jenny who runs a flower shop next door. Throughout the first act, it is revealed that he had been in town before, and he was looking for his lost love. Pieces of his history in his prior visit keep getting revealed one at a time. The curtain closes on Act I just as his true name as Goblindingle Goobrikuk is revealed and he discovers that the local magistrate had murdered his wife shortly after he left last time.

There is a short intermission between acts.

Techwarrior
2012-10-11, 05:19 PM
"That was certainly interesting. I can't wait to see how they finish it."
Aandilar has ben paying very rapt attention to the play, almost to the point of excluding other things, like talking to Aveline. He's not trying to be rude, he's just really intent on the play.

planswalker
2012-10-11, 05:32 PM
"They do have catchy music." Aveline comments.

Techwarrior
2012-10-13, 04:37 PM
"Maybe I'll try to become a scribe when I finally get my orders from the guard. All the stories that never get told."

planswalker
2012-10-13, 06:52 PM
"Perhaps so."

Techwarrior
2012-10-15, 06:06 PM
"Have you thought about what you might do while your in the guard?"

planswalker
2012-10-15, 10:29 PM
"Well, the idea of us non-magical grunts is that we are told what to do, not pick and choose what we do. I'd love to eventually make guard captain."

Techwarrior
2012-10-17, 11:16 AM
"I could definitely see you leading people. People would listen to you."

planswalker
2012-10-17, 03:49 PM
"So far, I've had to knock everyone flat before they'll listen to me. Well..." She looks at you significantly. "Most everone."

The intermission ends, and the second part begins.

Techwarrior
2012-10-22, 11:29 PM
"Ooh, the shows back on."
Aandilar watches the rest of the show attentively.

planswalker
2012-10-22, 11:31 PM
filler post until I can figure out how I want to end the story. Post tomorrow, I promise.