PDA

View Full Version : Baldur's Gate: Xan Fighter/Enchanter

Ixil
2012-07-17, 09:41 AM
Greetings. A few days ago I restarted playing BG with Tutu (nostalgy, I guess) and for the first time I kept Xan in the party. Some time later (he's level 6), after I got him the Robe of the Archmagi, he looked so cool with the hood and the Moonblade, I thought it would be great to make him a Fighter/Mage. So I used Shadowkeeper and changed him to that class (I kept the Enchanter kit). He got 5 levels in each class, but only 3 points in the proficiencies and now the Moonblade is unusable by Xan, even though it can only be used by Xan. Can anyone help? Thanks.

Aricandor
2012-07-18, 02:30 AM
The way the game builds those restrictions is not really by tying it to a specific name, but rather to an extremely specific set of attributes, class, race and alignment, namely his (i.e. if you make a LN elven enchanter with his attributes or higher you can likely use the blade yourself).
By changing his class though, he no longer qualifies for these extremely narrow requirements. You can get around this by doing some modding busywork yourself, but this isn't exactly super-simple; you can find a tutorial for this on most mod sites easily enough if you want to try.

There may also be a ready-made mod around that changes his class while also updating the moonblade's real stats (anything you read in a description is just text written separately from the actual stats of an item; it's not auto-generated the way for example NWN does it). I haven't looked though, so again you'd probably have to look around.

Ixil
2012-07-18, 08:36 AM
The way the game builds those restrictions is not really by tying it to a specific name, but rather to an extremely specific set of attributes, class, race and alignment, namely his (i.e. if you make a LN elven enchanter with his attributes or higher you can likely use the blade yourself).
By changing his class though, he no longer qualifies for these extremely narrow requirements. You can get around this by doing some modding busywork yourself, but this isn't exactly super-simple; you can find a tutorial for this on most mod sites easily enough if you want to try.

There may also be a ready-made mod around that changes his class while also updating the moonblade's real stats (anything you read in a description is just text written separately from the actual stats of an item; it's not auto-generated the way for example NWN does it). I haven't looked though, so again you'd probably have to look around.

Thanks for the help. I didn't know how it worked. Modding is a bit out of my knlowledge, Mybe I'll look for a ready-made mod. I know there are Xan mods like this to use in BG2, mayve I'll get lucky with mods for Xan in Tutu.

Againl thank you very much. Domo.

Ixil
2012-07-18, 11:00 AM
By the way, if you create a fighter/mage PC and then use Shadow Keeper to choose, say, kensai fighter kit, would it still wirk in the fighter half of the fighter/mage?

Calemyr
2012-07-18, 11:10 AM
By the way, if you create a fighter/mage PC and then use Shadow Keeper to choose, say, kensai fighter kit, would it still wirk in the fighter half of the fighter/mage?

Usually, although possibly only after you gain a level in the class. It certainly works for Swashbuckler, at least, for Imoen and Nalia. You'd lose any wizard specialization, of course, and you may not gain any one-time special abilities that aren't modified by later levels (should not be an issue for a kensei, as all of their special abilities gain additional uses by level).

Ixil
2012-07-18, 02:49 PM
Wasn't there a mod that allowed Kensais to wear bracers?

Ixil
2012-07-23, 06:01 AM
Usually, although possibly only after you gain a level in the class. It certainly works for Swashbuckler, at least, for Imoen and Nalia. You'd lose any wizard specialization, of course, and you may not gain any one-time special abilities that aren't modified by later levels (should not be an issue for a kensei, as all of their special abilities gain additional uses by level).

Ok, so I tried it and it seems to be working. Now I got me a Bladesinger... ish... If only I could make it wear bracers...