PDA

View Full Version : Death of the crab lady and consequences

Kol Korran
2012-07-17, 09:56 AM
guy, alon, tomer and ariel, please don't read this.

So fellow forumists, i come to you seeking help in thinking of a complication of plot. i have just began running a fantasy pirate campaign for my party (3.5 D&D, but doesn't really matter), and i came upon a certain... opportunity.

the party were set on a small treasure hunt against competing crews in a small island cluster. one of the clues led them to some rocks upon which lived what looked like a sturdy, ugly, fairly cheerful and resolute old lady. they knew she fed on the dead from ship wrecked ships, due to some close by permanent storm.

the old lady had some chests that held clues to further the treasure hunt, but she wanted soem trade. the party quite botched up the trade, and she told them to shoo off.

being murderous hooligans, they decided to kill her, mostly for the loot in her cave, and for the chests of the other teams. she turned out to be some big half crab half humanoid creature, which due to spell and strategy, they disposed off quickly. (may she rest in peace, Florence :smallfrown:)

now... when creating the crab lady i imagined her to have some prominence in the isles, some place of respect/ awe/ fear/ reverence. her death has not yet been found, but this being a campaign of mischief, trouble and mayham, i want there to be... consequences. BUT (!!), they need to be interesting and funny consequences!

have any ideas? some thoughts of mine:
- she actually belonged to a race of half crab/ half humanoids who live in the depths of the seas of the isle, and the islanders were told to take care of her, or else they'll incure the wrath of her family.

- or maybe she is some sort of a cursed creature, a slightly loony matriarch to whom many in the island can trace some sort of lineage to? now they are very angry...

- something on a similar line: she is the grandma of some fierce pirates, who (later in the campaign) learn of their grandma's killer, and they must avenge her before becomign head of the family, hunting the PCs

- or perhaps she is tied to some curse? not that fond of the idea as there are all kind of curse related potential plots in the future, plus i got no good curse to think of. i don't want to make her killer becoem a half crab himself as something similar has been done in the past. crabs damaging the ship? crabs getting into his food?

if it matters, the party are:
1) Conrad, an elf shifter (truedive, gains aquatic powers) smuggler, womanzier, navigator supreme. think Han Solo. he is the one who killed poor lady crab.

2) Mr. Black, a secretive venoc (a weakned pure blood yuan ti) with magic over mind. quite ruthless, decisive, and with sadistic tendencies. also a pet constrictor snake. he is the one suggesting to kill lady crab.

3) Banner, like Bruce banner. a big furious but most often silent orc. like the hulk, without the genius part.

4) Scar: a slightly demented elf captain/ surgeon/ gardener. talks to the dead, to animals, and to his precious plants. he was withe the most interaction with lady crab before death, trying to haggle and barter with her unsuccesfully.

so ingenious story crafters! what say ye, of the story of the crab lady? :smallwink:

(searchword: piratewitch)

supermonkeyjoe
2012-07-17, 10:09 AM
Everyone knows that the legendary crab-lady cannot be killed! your PCs are obviously lying about it and word will soon travel that your PCs are not to be trusted! Conveniently she has been replaced by a similar shapeshifting crab person to further discredit them.

Now all I can think of is the Crab People episode of South Park :smallmad:

Arbane
2012-07-17, 12:28 PM
She had a deal with something worse, which expired with her death. So now something considerably nastier is actively on the prowl for human flesh in the area. (Her ex-husband the wereshark, maybe? :smallbiggrin:)

Maxios
2012-07-17, 06:09 PM
Ooh, good idea. Maybe her ex-husband is the father of all weresharks, and eats entire ships.

Kelb_Panthera
2012-07-17, 09:19 PM
You could simply say she was soul-locked, as per heroes of horror. When she comes back, in 4d20 days, she can start actively seeking revenge. Just because death isn't permanent doesn't mean it's not a very painful inconvenience. This has the benefit of the players having to find the one, prescribed means of perma-killing her.

lyko555
2012-07-17, 10:09 PM
with the crab lady dead who will keep all her children fed? now they must watch as dozens of (that damned crab) roam the island looking for food and parental love

Zale
2012-07-17, 11:30 PM
She was the Queen of the Crabs.

Now, all her subjects are furious at the adventurers for assassinating their beloved monarch. The smaller ones will simply be a nuance, pinching them mercilessly.

And then That Crab starts appearing.

Kol Korran
2012-07-18, 11:45 AM
before i respond to the ideas given, just another idea that sprang to mind: the guy who killed her is a lady charmer womanizer (character, not player), who likes to act suave, cool, "handsome rascal" kind of guy and so on.

as part of the campaign, large parts of their background have been left open to enable me and them put things in (sandbox).

what if the player start hearing (and later on seeing), his stern, strict, school mistress like gradnma, scolding him for his wrong doing and mischief at... "importune" moments? (trying to tell a lie, pick a lock, swing from a chandelir, or "get friendly" with a prospective member of the opposite sex?)

a grandma for a grandma sort of curse? or his own guilty conscience?

She had a deal with something worse, which expired with her death. So now something considerably nastier is actively on the prowl for human flesh in the area. (Her ex-husband the wereshark, maybe? :smallbiggrin:)

hhhmmm.. i like the idea that something else had been held in bay, and now comes. the idea of an ex husband is funny. however i just don't think a were shark would make it. what will? need to think about it...

You could simply say she was soul-locked, as per heroes of horror. When she comes back, in 4d20 days, she can start actively seeking revenge. Just because death isn't permanent doesn't mean it's not a very painful inconvenience. This has the benefit of the players having to find the one, prescribed means of perma-killing her.
i don't know what soul locked is but i get the feelings it's something liek a ghost rejuvenation? we've done hese kind of things a few times now, and i want to keep the "lich like challenge" for later on.

with the crab lady dead who will keep all her children fed? now they must watch as dozens of (that damned crab) roam the island looking for food and parental love

She was the Queen of the Crabs.

Now, all her subjects are furious at the adventurers for assassinating their beloved monarch. The smaller ones will simply be a nuance, pinching them mercilessly.

And then That Crab starts appearing.

these two are similar. and might do well (though i think i'll wait with that damned crab). they are only going to be on the islands for 2-4 more days. i need to see if i can keep it going.

Kelb_Panthera
2012-07-18, 02:15 PM
Soul locked is in HoH on pg 47. It is indeed nearly identical to a ghosts rejuvanation, excepting that a unique weapon or circumstance at the moment you drop her could be the solution. I understand wanting to save something like this for later, especially if you've already done this sort of thing recently.

kyoryu
2012-07-18, 04:37 PM
An Artificer finds her, and brings her back as an automaton.

(since, you know, her name was Florence).

Or, she could have a companion that was some kind of automaton.

Sidmen
2012-07-18, 05:00 PM
Poor Florence, the heroic Crab-lady. She sacrificed her life to keep the Storm of Blades at bay - and for centuries was forced to feed on the flesh of men. Now that her power is gone from this world - what will stop the everlasting storm from ravaging the entire archipelago as it once did?

Sir_Gabes
2012-07-19, 07:07 AM
The creatures who served her try to over run the island. Dragging back people to lay eggs inside. The party however have a magical totem of some kind. (gained from the loot I presume.) That could convince the crab people to leave if handed over. If the party doesn't agree. Crab people chase them till the end of their days or they get they're precious treasure back. Civilized life on the island is turned into mushy egg sacs.

Sir_Gabes
2012-07-19, 07:16 AM
Curse of the crab lady infects the Han Solo styled character. (he killed her after all) All women who aren't infected with a STI are disgusted by his presence and want nothing to do with him. The curse can be lifted by helping 1d100 old ladies across the road. Remembering that only old ladies with STIs will agree to crossing the road with him. :smallamused:

IncoherentEssay
2012-07-19, 07:27 AM
Considering that they killed her for the loot, it would be fitting to have them come across clues to a legendary treasure that don't tell them how to get to it but do lead them to the one who knows how. Or would if they hadn't killed her off :smallwink:.

So, do they abandon all hope of recovering the treasure or do they try to fix what they broke to get to it?
And if they do decide to skip it, a rival might still go for it.

Kol Korran
2012-07-20, 09:34 AM
excellent ideas! now just which to pick?

Poor Florence, the heroic Crab-lady. She sacrificed her life to keep the Storm of Blades at bay - and for centuries was forced to feed on the flesh of men. Now that her power is gone from this world - what will stop the everlasting storm from ravaging the entire archipelago as it once did?

now THAT sounds like a terribly delicious little turn about. it would be interesting to have a huge storm chase them. or even just destroy the entire group of isles they were in. "PCs- exit left"?

i need the storm to stall enough time to have some things and challenges happen, but it might even add to them, heh heh heh... :smallamused:

The creatures who served her try to over run the island. Dragging back people to lay eggs inside. The party however have a magical totem of some kind. (gained from the loot I presume.) That could convince the crab people to leave if handed over. If the party doesn't agree. Crab people chase them till the end of their days or they get they're precious treasure back. Civilized life on the island is turned into mushy egg sacs.
all who served her were mostly little crabs, but possibly some other crab people? it could be nice to have the place run over later on by crab people and egg sacs... a moment of "oh S**t!"

Curse of the crab lady infects the Han Solo styled character. (he killed her after all) All women who aren't infected with a STI are disgusted by his presence and want nothing to do with him. The curse can be lifted by helping 1d100 old ladies across the road. Remembering that only old ladies with STIs will agree to crossing the road with him. :smallamused:

you have a wicked mind. it's a good idea, but the character is just starting, and i need him to be able to "function" as to his concept for a few sessions more at least.

Considering that they killed her for the loot, it would be fitting to have them come across clues to a legendary treasure that don't tell them how to get to it but do lead them to the one who knows how. Or would if they hadn't killed her off :smallwink:.

So, do they abandon all hope of recovering the treasure or do they try to fix what they broke to get to it?
And if they do decide to skip it, a rival might still go for it.

that is an interesting idea, but i think i will keep it for someone else i have in mind, thanks anyway!

thanks!