PDA

View Full Version : Is this a new class? Bard Twist (Short post!)

Flame_Excess
2012-07-17, 11:12 AM
Hi,

Having limited knowledge about the complete extent of character classes and prestige classes, I'm wondering if this brew has been seen before. It's a quick overview of what I want the class to look like, then I'll be working on bringing it to be balanced. Thank you for your input!

Bard
BAB: Low
HP: d4
Saves: Will High
Skills: Same as Bard PHB, plus those of the Druid added to his list
Weapon and Armor: Same as Sorcerer PHB
Main Attribute: CHA
Special Abilities Progression: Spell progression as Druid (albeit arcanic), with a spell list combining both Bard and Druidic (adding illusion spells from level 7-9). Bardic Knowledge at level 1 (CHA). All bonuses and requirements for spells are Charisma-related.
The Bard is a heavy spellcaster who draws his might on having strong allies, great skills, and a deep connection with his surroundings.

Diovid
2012-07-18, 05:44 AM
It may not be exactly what you're looking for and you probably already know it but there's this:

Savage Bard (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#bardVariantSavageBard)

Fey Bard (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#bard)

And there are also bard/druid prcs:

Green Whisperer (dragon magazine #311)
Fochlucan Lyrist (complete adventurer, requires evasion, usually an item is used for entry)
Arcane Hierophant (races of the wild)

Flame_Excess
2012-07-18, 09:48 AM
Thanks,

Actually those suggestions are relevant because I didn't give much explanations, but they're not what I had in mind; mixing some of the druidic features in the Bard is only to give it an overview without making the whole new lists to be read by everyone.

It's a class which flavor would suit better with the Gnome race yet it's intended to create a fully capable spellcaster that hopefully has more to offer on its own than the beguiler. That would be my direst concern...

Is it a class worth playing in a campaign with limited players? Would it bring something new that the Wizard class can't compensate? I need your opinion on this.

Veklim
2012-07-19, 08:51 AM
You might wanna check out the Fochlucan Lyrist (pg 47 of Complete Adventurer), it's a bard/druid theurge PrC which can be accessed quite quickly...

Zaydos
2012-07-19, 09:01 AM
Well you'd have hastened access to some enchantments, so depending upon the level range that would be something that a wizard couldn't compensate for. Unfortunately without easy access to a powerful animal many of the best druidic buff spells do not work.

That said the wizard spell list is a little better than the druidic one in my opinion, but the druidic one has superiority when dealing with some natural hazards and some rather good battlefield control if plants are around.

Veklim
2012-07-19, 09:35 AM
Well you'd have hastened access to some enchantments, so depending upon the level range that would be something that a wizard couldn't compensate for. Unfortunately without easy access to a powerful animal many of the best druidic buff spells do not work.

As long as there's Summon Nature's Ally or Summon Monster within easy access (I'd personally switch out Monster for Nature's Ally altogether) there wouldn't really be a shortage of creatures to buff now would there? :smallwink:
I forget exactly where it is right now, but you can summon creatures into being with a spell you know pre-cast on them, it's a meta-magic somewhere or other I believe, it certainly makes life easier for a class like this.

So in conclusion they'd be a Summoner/Enchanter hybrid with selective BFC and sundry utility...hrm. :smallcool: