PDA

View Full Version : I was wondering if you guys could help me out.

The Redwolf
2012-07-17, 11:17 AM
We're going to be doing a campaign here in a couple months or so in which I'm going to be playing as a warforged. I had two questions that I would like to ask you guys about. Firstly, is there anything about increasing a warforged one size category, like how that would affect them with a level adjustment or anything or even if you're allowed to? Secondly, are there any rules for increasing the damage dealt by weapon enchantments such as fire, shock, acid, and frost. Thanks, I appreciate anything, even if it's no to both.

Ramshack
2012-07-17, 11:45 AM
As far as I'm aware there is nothing that increases a warforged size. I would imagine discussing it with your dm would be the most appropriate route. Perhaps adding something like the Goliath's powerful build to the war forged template with a LA of +1

Same with weapon enchantments. Anothe DM discussion might be in order. Either stack weapon enchantments for multiple d6's or perhaps create a feat that ups the dice value or something similar.

Others may know of more obscure means to achieve these though.

The Redwolf
2012-07-17, 11:47 AM
As far as I'm aware there is nothing that increases a warforged size. I would imagine discussing it with your dm would be the most appropriate route. Perhaps adding something like the Goliath's powerful build to the war forged template with a LA of +1

Same with weapon enchantments. Anothe DM discussion might be in order. Either stack weapon enchantments for multiple d6's or perhaps create a feat that ups the dice value or something similar.

Others may know of more obscure means to achieve these though.

See, I hadn't seen anything saying I was allowed to stack weapon enchantments. I mean, of the same type that is, I know you can stack different types.

The Glyphstone
2012-07-17, 11:48 AM
See, I hadn't seen anything saying I was allowed to stack weapon enchantments. I mean, of the same type that is, I know you can stack different types.

There isn't. Which is why talking to the DM is necessary, because it would have to be a houserule.

The Redwolf
2012-07-17, 11:50 AM
There isn't. Which is why talking to the DM is necessary, because it would have to be a houserule.

That's kinda what I had figured, I've just noticed people on this board that know of all sorts of obscure rules and books and whatnot and figured maybe they could come up with something.

Duke of URL
2012-07-17, 11:54 AM
There is a Warforged Charger (MM3) that's large size. But it's a hefty 4 RHD construct with LA +4.

Some of the elemental enhancements do have stronger versions (typically "burst" versions) at a slightly higher enhancement level, but other than that I can't think of a way to increase the damage amount.

The Redwolf
2012-07-17, 11:56 AM
There is a Warforged Charger (MM3) that's large size. But it's a hefty 4 RHD construct with LA +4.

Some of the elemental enhancements do have stronger versions (typically "burst" versions) at a slightly higher enhancement level, but other than that I can't think of a way to increase the damage amount.

Bursts only work on a critical, and I'm not taking a 8 penalty to be a charger, especially with the penalties they take. I actually just saw someone talking in another topic about a belt or similar enchanted item of enlarge person with multiple charges per day, I may just go with something like that depending on what my DM says, or unless someone else can find a way.

Urpriest
2012-07-17, 11:59 AM
Enlarge Person won't work on a Warforged, but Alter Self and Expansion will both allow you to become Large on a limited timeframe. Alternatively if Dragon Magazine is allowed, Half-Minotaur will make you Large for LA +1.

For stacking energy damage, note that there are lots of other ways to put energy damage on a weapon. Dragonfire Inspiration, a Duskblade channeling an energy damage spell, etc.

The Redwolf
2012-07-17, 12:02 PM
Enlarge Person won't work on a Warforged, but Alter Self and Expansion will both allow you to become Large on a limited timeframe. Alternatively if Dragon Magazine is allowed, Half-Minotaur will make you Large for LA +1.

For stacking energy damage, note that there are lots of other ways to put energy damage on a weapon. Dragonfire Inspiration, a Duskblade channeling an energy damage spell, etc.

I don't think I can do half-minotaur warforged, and what exactly is expansion, does it just increase size? I actually had something I was thinking about doing for the energy damage, my warforged is a monk and there's a thing in the dragon magic book called draconic fist or something similar that allows you to replace stunning fist and instead it gives you like one or two extra uses and the energy damage scales with level. The problem is we're using Pathfinder now, and that was a 3.5 thing when stunning fist was still a feat and not a class feature, so I would have to find a way to convert it to Pathfinder to use that.

Duke of URL
2012-07-17, 12:05 PM
I wasn't suggesting Warforged Charger as a good option, just answering the "is there any?" question.

Expansion is a psionic power that works like enlarge person, but not restricted by type and can (I believe) be augmented to go more than 1 size category.

The Redwolf
2012-07-17, 12:06 PM
I wasn't suggesting Warforged Charger as a good option, just answering the "is there any?" question.

Expansion is a psionic power that works like enlarge person, but not restricted by type and can (I believe) be augmented to go more than 1 size category.

That's interesting considering one of our characters is a psionic shaper...that's almost too convenient.

Urpriest
2012-07-17, 12:09 PM
I don't think I can do half-minotaur warforged, and what exactly is expansion, does it just increase size? I actually had something I was thinking about doing for the energy damage, my warforged is a monk and there's a thing in the dragon magic book called draconic fist or something similar that allows you to replace stunning fist and instead it gives you like one or two extra uses and the energy damage scales with level. The problem is we're using Pathfinder now, and that was a 3.5 thing when stunning fist was still a feat and not a class feature, so I would have to find a way to convert it to Pathfinder to use that.

Expansion (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/expansion.htm).

Is your game pure PF, or PF with 3.5 allowed if a conversion is available? If you're using 3.5, your Monk could take the Tashalatora feat from Secrets of Sarlona and multiclass into Psychic Warrior, giving you the ability to become larger with Expansion on a regular basis. You could also grab some energy powers, though nothing that will directly energize your weapon.

The Redwolf
2012-07-17, 12:19 PM
Expansion (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/expansion.htm).

Is your game pure PF, or PF with 3.5 allowed if a conversion is available? If you're using 3.5, your Monk could take the Tashalatora feat from Secrets of Sarlona and multiclass into Psychic Warrior, giving you the ability to become larger with Expansion on a regular basis. You could also grab some energy powers, though nothing that will directly energize your weapon.

I don't really want to multiclass, and it's Pathfinder with 3.5 also, basically we just rework anything we need to from 3.5. What's the Tashalatora feat do if I may ask?

Urpriest
2012-07-17, 12:21 PM
I don't really want to multiclass, and it's Pathfinder with 3.5 also, basically we just rework anything we need to from 3.5. What's the Tashalatora feat do if I may ask?

It lets a Psionic class (Psychic Warrior being a good choice) advance your Monk abilities, specifically unarmed damage, flurry, and I think speed (that or AC bonus).

Anyway, your party psion won't be able to manifest Expansion on you since it's personal range, unfortunately.

Diarmuid
2012-07-17, 01:18 PM
There's also the spell Might Whallop and Greater Mighty Wallop.

The greater version lasts hours per level and raises the size cat of a weapon 1/4 levels (max of +4 size I think).

I think the restriction is that it only works on bludgeoning, but I think your unarmed attacks should work. I havent read the spell in a while, so I'm not sure if there are any specific unarmed weapon stipulations or not.

The Redwolf
2012-07-17, 02:28 PM
There's also the spell Might Whallop and Greater Mighty Wallop.

The greater version lasts hours per level and raises the size cat of a weapon 1/4 levels (max of +4 size I think).

I think the restriction is that it only works on bludgeoning, but I think your unarmed attacks should work. I havent read the spell in a while, so I'm not sure if there are any specific unarmed weapon stipulations or not.

Any clue which book it would be in, because that sounds pretty perfect. I could just do that for fists rather than worrying about the whole character, still though, strength bonuses to size would be nice...yeah, I'd like to read this spell though.

Urpriest
2012-07-17, 02:44 PM
Any clue which book it would be in, because that sounds pretty perfect. I could just do that for fists rather than worrying about the whole character, still though, strength bonuses to size would be nice...yeah, I'd like to read this spell though.

They're from Races of the Dragon.

The Redwolf
2012-07-17, 02:45 PM
Thanks, I checked the d20srd and it wasn't on there so I wasn't sure where to look.

The Redwolf
2012-07-17, 02:47 PM
Alright, just used that fact to look it up and wow...that could be amazing, any idea how much it would cost to make an item for it with X charges per day, or can I make one that allows me to cancel out of it and resume later using the same charge? I mean like if it has 8 hours of effect could I cancel after 2 hours, then resume it 2 hours later and just have 4 left on that charge?

whibla
2012-07-17, 02:51 PM
Any clue which book it would be in, because that sounds pretty perfect ... yeah, I'd like to read this spell though.

Races of the Dragon.

There are a couple of spells that cause your weapon to do additional energy damage, and while most specify that they do not stack with elemental damage weapons I definitely recall seeing a couple that did, quite recently. I'll have a browse, and edit them in later, if someone doesn't beat me to it.

*EDIT* The spell I was thinking of was Blades of Fire, from the Miniatures Handbook. As a swift action spell that lasts for 1 round it adds 1d6 extra fire damage to your weapon attacks for the round, that stacks with any elemental damage, even fire, that the weapon already deals. In theory you could add a wand chamber to your weapon and put a wand of this spell in there for the extra d6 when you felt it was necessary.

Flickerdart
2012-07-17, 02:51 PM
There's a 7th spell in the Spell Compendium called Body of War, which turns you into a Warforged Titan for rounds/level. They are Huge.

The Redwolf
2012-07-17, 02:54 PM
Races of the Dragon.

There are a couple of spells that cause your weapon to do additional energy damage, and while most specify that they do not stack with elemental damage weapons I definitely recall seeing a couple that did, quite recently. I'll have a browse, and edit them in later, if someone doesn't beat me to it.

I think I may have solved the energy damage by just switching to draconic fist if my DM will help me convert it, but those would be nice to know in case.

There's a 7th spell in the Spell Compendium called Body of War, which turns you into a Warforged Titan for rounds/level. They are Huge.

That's a good option, although since I'm already a warforged it would basically just be making me a bigger warforged which should be a lower level spell than 7th, I just need something that enlarges, and that greater mighty wallop is perfect.

Diarmuid
2012-07-17, 03:00 PM
For Greater Mighty Wallop, the problem for an item with charges per day is that the size boost is dependent on the caster level.

To get maximum benefit, you'd want a 16th level caster. Now, because it's hours per level, you likely only need 1 casting per day.

Spell Level (3) * Caster Level (16) * 1800 (Command Word) / 5 (1 charge per day) = 17280gp.

The Redwolf
2012-07-17, 03:01 PM
For Greater Mighty Wallop, the problem for an item with charges per day is that the size boost is dependent on the caster level.

To get maximum benefit, you'd want a 16th level caster. Now, because it's hours per level, you likely only need 1 casting per day.

Spell Level (3) * Caster Level (16) * 1800 (Command Word) / 5 (1 charge per day) = 17280gp.

I was going to say 16th level for the item since we'll be 17th anyway. I could probably fit that price in, but what I want to know for the charges is if I can do what I said earlier where I go back to normal size in the middle of a use and resume it later on, or if that would use up the only charge I have for the day.

Urpriest
2012-07-17, 03:06 PM
I was going to say 16th level for the item since we'll be 17th anyway. I could probably fit that price in, but what I want to know for the charges is if I can do what I said earlier where I go back to normal size in the middle of a use and resume it later on, or if that would use up the only charge I have for the day.

The item doesn't actually change your size, it just changes the effective size of your weapon. IIRC it doesn't even make you look different.

If you want to separate charges for some other reason...well, there's nothing in the item guidelines about that, but the item guidelines are guidelines anyway. You'd already have to ask your DM to homebrew the thing, so just ask what that would cost you.

The Redwolf
2012-07-17, 03:09 PM
The item doesn't actually change your size, it just changes the effective size of your weapon. IIRC it doesn't even make you look different.

See, the way I was reading it it sounded like you could change either your weapon's effective size or your overall size, and I figured overall size would be nice because of the extra con/str. What would the colossal equivalent of 2d10 from medium be? I don't know how the scaling works.

The Redwolf
2012-07-17, 03:25 PM
See, the way I was reading it it sounded like you could change either your weapon's effective size or your overall size, and I figured overall size would be nice because of the extra con/str. What would the colossal equivalent of 2d10 from medium be? I don't know how the scaling works.

So I looked it up in the DM guide and it would be 12d8...I am so getting this item.

Urpriest
2012-07-17, 03:25 PM

The spell very explicitly only affects weapons. Even if it did, spells that increase your size only increase Con/Str if they say they do.

If you start at 2d10 for medium, it increases to 4d8 large, 6d8 huge, 8d8 gargantuan, and 12d8 colossal, as it says at the bottom of the table on on DMG 28 (the table the spell points you to).

Edit: Ninja'd by the guy who asked the question. :smallwink:

The Redwolf
2012-07-17, 03:27 PM
Yeah, sorry, I found it, I just didn't have a copy of the DM guide so I had to get a PDF to look it up.

The Redwolf
2012-07-17, 04:48 PM
Edit: Ninja'd by the guy who asked the question. :smallwink:

Sorry. :smallbiggrin:

Kuulvheysoon
2012-07-17, 05:26 PM

For actual size increase, you'd have to go either Expansion or Giant Size (Wu Jen 7).

Averis Vol
2012-07-17, 08:34 PM
For a warforged who has an arcane caster in the party warforged juggernaut could be good. you gain alot of immunities and get some bonuses to charge and bullrush. its in the eberron campaign setting though, so Thats a potential issue. but it turns you less like your creator and more beefy.... heres a lin (http://eberronunlimited.wikidot.com/warforged-juggernaut) with the class.

The Redwolf
2012-07-17, 08:40 PM
For a warforged who has an arcane caster in the party warforged juggernaut could be good. you gain alot of immunities and get some bonuses to charge and bullrush. its in the eberron campaign setting though, so Thats a potential issue. but it turns you less like your creator and more beefy.... heres a lin (http://eberronunlimited.wikidot.com/warforged-juggernaut) with the class.

I've read the juggernaut before, and we're in our own world, my character actually got there from Eberron because of events that happened in a campaign a long time ago. I don't want juggernaut though. I think I've got this figured out now since they helped me figure out the thing with mighty wallop.

Darrin
2012-07-18, 05:52 AM
Person_Man wrote a guide on Increasing Size, Effective Size, Unarmed Damage, Reach (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7081777).

The Redwolf
2012-07-18, 10:21 AM
Thanks, just read through it and I may pick up one or two of those feats, lunge looks particularly nice.