PDA

View Full Version : A walk in the sun. (Vampire: Requiem)

talys_boh
2012-07-17, 11:52 AM
I was wondering if it was possible in Vampire: The Requiem to build up to being able to walk in the sun without taking damage, or somehow mitigating the damage down to nothing. I only have access to the Core Requiem book at the moment, but if needed I can use sources from other books.

Also, I would like to avoid using any means that would drop humanity.

Otherwise, Experience is not an issue, or blood potency (since it kind of predicates on experience.) The character will be a Daeva.

The Glyphstone
2012-07-17, 11:58 AM
I hear there's an obscure sourcebook called Twilight: The Sparkling....:smallbiggrin:

comicshorse
2012-07-17, 12:05 PM
The Coil of Banes taught by the Ordo Dracul provides various aids against sunlight.

But even the third level of it only causes sunlight to do bashing damage at Dawn and Dusk when the sunlight is weakest

Reluctance
2012-07-17, 01:06 PM
Dominate 5 will let you walk around in a borrowed body. Anything that's useful for having a body double in the real world will also apply to the vampire in question. Auspex 5 and Animalism 5 can do something similar, although more limited.

Physically moving one's kindred body around in broad daylight and not going up like a roman candle? It's theoretically possible, if you're willing to throw insane levels of Coils and Resilience into it. That really means 9-10 dot range, where your powers are ridiculously powerful plot devices.

talys_boh
2012-07-17, 04:04 PM
I kinda figured that was the way of it, but hey, I can at least see some of the sunrise, right?

The Glyphstone
2012-07-17, 07:05 PM
I kinda figured that was the way of it, but hey, I can at least see some of the sunrise, right?

Well, right up until you Rotshreck.

comicshorse
2012-07-17, 07:15 PM
Well, right up until you Rotshreck.

Coil of Banes helps with that to ( a bit)

Eurus
2012-07-17, 10:44 PM
Vlad Dracula himself can supposedly manage it, but yeah, that's one of those "power of plot" things. I vaguely recall some Theban Sorcery or Cruac powers that come close; I think there's that gives you a literal armor of blood that can briefly allow you to endure sunlight for relatively minor damage as long as you can keep paying the upkeep cost, and another where you literally martyr yourself to temporarily dim the sun for your allies...

The 5th Dominate dot (or the Animalism equivalent?) is probably one of the best ways to simulate it, really. Or there's some kind of expensive devotion that causes you to automatically enter Twilight Projection during daysleep that I recall, but if your goal is to feel the sun on your dead flesh it's not quite the same.

Lord_Gareth
2012-07-17, 10:56 PM
If you've got some way to reduce Lethal damage, high levels of Resilience can do it. Heck, if you've got enough blood high levels of Resilience can do it on its own.

Eurus
2012-07-17, 11:21 PM
If you've got some way to reduce Lethal damage, high levels of Resilience can do it. Heck, if you've got enough blood high levels of Resilience can do it on its own.

Are you actually allowed to activate Resilience multiple times in a scene to refresh the agg-damage downgrade?

Reluctance
2012-07-18, 12:22 PM
Officially no. I wouldn't be surprised if there were a devotion out there to that effect, though.

talys_boh
2012-07-18, 12:46 PM
This has been most helpful. Thanks.

The goal of course is to create and build up a high humanity vampire, who would like to see the sun and continue "being human" in whatever fashion he can manage. Coils were already high on my list of powers to use, but Resilience definitely factors in.

Thanks again.

Selrahc
2012-07-18, 02:37 PM
This has been most helpful. Thanks.

The goal of course is to create and build up a high humanity vampire, who would like to see the sun and continue "being human" in whatever fashion he can manage. Coils were already high on my list of powers to use, but Resilience definitely factors in.

Thanks again.

For resilience, even assuming a custom devotion, you'd be talking some sort of Resilience 5, Blood Potency 7 monster hooked up to an IV bag if you wanted to stay in the sun for more than a few seconds. He needs to convert agg to lethal, then heal the lethal. And do that every turn. It's really not a terribly practical thing to try and pull off in game.

Reluctance
2012-07-18, 03:00 PM
P. 192. Golconda, and similar forms of transcendence.

The closest you'll come in practical play, though, is a character with a solid Animalism score. Feed with fewer moral qualms than humans present, and the ability to experience the sun without similar moral qualms about forcibly overriding a person's body. What you're trying to play is a character free from some of the game's main conflicts. Escaping them is the culmination of your character's growth cycle. Not something you're supposed to be able to throw XP at until it goes away.

TheCountAlucard
2012-07-19, 03:02 PM
Physically moving one's kindred body around in broad daylight and not going up like a roman candle? It's theoretically possible, if you're willing to throw insane levels of Coils and Resilience into it. That really means 9-10 dot range, where your powers are ridiculously powerful plot devices.Actually, a Noctuku can manage it. Their Bloodline Discipline has a level of it where you can make a protective "special leather" armor that protects against the normal stuff, and even against fire and sunlight. However, you'd need an exceptional success on the crafting roll to be able to remain undamaged in direct sunlight, and you'd still be vulnerable to fear frenzy.

Of course, since you said that acting human was part of your goal, you might be better off attempting to find Golconda, as hunting down humans for their skins seems a little counter-intuitive to that plan. :smalltongue:

Fouredged Sword
2012-07-19, 08:09 PM
Work for a tissue harvesting bank. Save lives, tan leather! Red cross will help with the blood issue. Be the interview guy and feed from a donor every night from the privacy of the interview room, then wipe the memory and send them how with the explanation that they are low clotting factor today and an appointment for later in the week.

Use majesty to convince gangs to give up violence to encourage people to feel safe walking the streets at night to help out your fellow vamps. Use domination to break drug habits and fight behaviors that cause STD outbreaks.

Vampires work great as they benefit when they keep the mortals fat and happy. I don't know why they feel so drawn to such trades as drugs and weapons. These things directly damage the food supply!

Lord_Gareth
2012-07-19, 09:00 PM
Work for a tissue harvesting bank. Save lives, tan leather! Red cross will help with the blood issue. Be the interview guy and feed from a donor every night from the privacy of the interview room, then wipe the memory and send them how with the explanation that they are low clotting factor today and an appointment for later in the week.

Use majesty to convince gangs to give up violence to encourage people to feel safe walking the streets at night to help out your fellow vamps. Use domination to break drug habits and fight behaviors that cause STD outbreaks.

Vampires work great as they benefit when they keep the mortals fat and happy. I don't know why they feel so drawn to such trades as drugs and weapons. These things directly damage the food supply!

Thing is, the food supply breeds a lot faster than drugs, weapons, and human trafficking damages it - and the vampires really need the ready access to violence those trades provide them.

The Glyphstone
2012-07-19, 09:41 PM
Thing is, the food supply breeds a lot faster than drugs, weapons, and human trafficking damages it - and the vampires really need the ready access to violence those trades provide them.

For example, if you control the drugs and weapons, you can decrease or increase the violence as you see fit - such as where your rivals feed.

TheCountAlucard
2012-07-19, 09:57 PM
Work for a tissue harvesting bank. Save lives, tan leather!Well, the other problem in being a Noctuku is that they have a compulsion to eat flesh when they feed. It is technically resistable, in the same way that not Frenzying when down to your last point of Vitae in the middle of a blood drive is possible. :smalltongue:

Red cross will help with the blood issue. Be the interview guy and feed from a donor every night from the privacy of the interview room, then wipe the memory and send them how with the explanation that they are low clotting factor today and an appointment for later in the week.That's fine if you don't use your Disciplines. :smalltongue:

Also, answering an earlier quote I somehow missed...

I hear there's an obscure sourcebook called Twilight: The Sparkling....:smallbiggrin:Technically that's covered in Dudes of Legend. :smallamused:

The Glyphstone
2012-07-20, 07:48 AM
Technically that's covered in Dudes of Legend. :smallamused:

Oh, right. Best. Sourcebook. Ever.:smallbiggrin:

Aron Times
2012-07-21, 12:00 AM
Note that Golconda is entirely dependent on your ST. One ST might interpret it as a Kindred overcoming the curse by becoming mortal again with or without keeping his powers. My take on it is that Golconda involves the acceptance of the vampiric condition; you'll never enjoy food or sunlight again, but you have all these cool powers at your disposal for the rest of eternity.

Yuki Akuma
2012-07-22, 08:37 AM
My favourite interpretation of Galconda is that it's the "perfect union of Man and Beast"... meaning the vampire becomes a horrible monster and stops feeling guilty for it.

Lord_Gareth
2012-07-22, 10:50 AM
My favourite interpretation of Galconda is that it's the "perfect union of Man and Beast"... meaning the vampire becomes a horrible monster and stops feeling guilty for it.

Wouldn't make a lot of sense with the implied requirement of a high Humanity, though.

Eurus
2012-07-22, 11:10 AM
Personally, I`m fond of "there is no Golconda". It's just a metaphor that someone coined a long time ago and got mistaken as fact by hopeful vamps. Rather, it's about the journey rather than the destination. Spend your life in devotion and faith, and maybe hope to be redeemed in final death.

The Ordo Dracul, on the other hand, is more likely to be a route to the sort of transcendence from weaknesses that one normally associates with Golconda. Again, Dracula. And if you go the opposite route, embrace the Beast, maybe you end up with something more like The Unholy.

Lord_Gareth
2012-07-22, 11:18 AM
Personally, I`m fond of "there is no Golconda". It's just a metaphor that someone coined a long time ago and got mistaken as fact by hopeful vamps. Rather, it's about the journey rather than the destination. Spend your life in devotion and faith, and maybe hope to be redeemed in final death.

The Ordo Dracul, on the other hand, is more likely to be a route to the sort of transcendence from weaknesses that one normally associates with Golconda. Again, Dracula. And if you go the opposite route, embrace the Beast, maybe you end up with something more like The Unholy.

Did they ever stat out that abomination? They certainly talked about The Unholy a lot in the core book.

Selrahc
2012-07-22, 11:29 AM
Did they ever stat out that abomination? They certainly talked about The Unholy a lot in the core book.

She's in Nomads.
Basically, she is around as strong as your average Prince. BP7, a handful of 5 dot disciplines, attributes and skills.
No special rules, other than having an OWoD style bestial deformity.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2012-07-22, 11:29 AM

Night Horrors: Immortal Sinners, iirc.

Fouredged Sword
2012-07-22, 12:48 PM
You can actually get very close to golconda as an ordu. There is a coil that you must maintain high humanity to use, but it lets you do things like never frenzy and other cool things. I had an elder in a game I played follow this path. They party didn't even know she was a vampire for a long time.

She wasn't very powerful as elders went. Most her exp was spent bouncing back and forth around 9 to 10 humanity. A major part of the plot revolved around the party ether helping her finally achieve golconda for real or causing her to backslide into a bloody spree of revenge over a betrayal from when she was a neophyte.

Eurus
2012-07-22, 01:42 PM
You can actually get very close to golconda as an ordu. There is a coil that you must maintain high humanity to use, but it lets you do things like never frenzy and other cool things. I had an elder in a game I played follow this path. They party didn't even know she was a vampire for a long time.

She wasn't very powerful as elders went. Most her exp was spent bouncing back and forth around 9 to 10 humanity. A major part of the plot revolved around the party ether helping her finally achieve golconda for real or causing her to backslide into a bloody spree of revenge over a betrayal from when she was a neophyte.
I love that coil. I especially love the suggestion that the Unholy's alternate backstory might actually be as the creator of that coil, a famously (former) high-humanity vampire. My headcanon likes that idea.

The Glyphstone
2012-07-22, 01:57 PM
The 1st dot of the Coil of the Ladder is awesome. The 2nd dot sucks, because it stops working whenever you use a Discipline. The 3rd dot is nice, but maintaining Humanity 10 is insanely difficult...and even losing it once means you're 30XP in the hole each time you dip down to 9.

Fouredged Sword
2012-07-22, 04:06 PM
Thus the difficulty for the party to keep her humanity up and prevent her from going on a rampage to kill the prince who she (about 1/2 way through the plot) discovers killed her lover during the civil war and she never got over it.

talys_boh
2012-07-23, 01:31 PM
Where does the Coil of Ladders appear?

For that matter what books do other coils not in the core book appear? Just the one or am I going to be tactically buying books over my next few paychecks?

Lord_Gareth
2012-07-23, 02:21 PM

For that matter what books do other coils not in the core book appear? Just the one or am I going to be tactically buying books over my next few paychecks?

I dunno if this one has Ladders in it, but the Ordo Dracul does have its own sourcebook. Actually, all the Covenants and Clans have their own supplements if you're interested in a specific clan or in more bloodlines that relate to a covenant or clan.

Also, if you're in the mood for some interesting fiction, you can purchase Rites of the Dragon - the Ordo Dracul's holy book. The Testament of Longinus was also published.

Reluctance
2012-07-23, 02:47 PM
White Wolf's main site has links to wiki pages. A few well-placed clicks should link you to a list of published coils, as well as a brief description of each. Plus some fanmade ones, but those are about as well-balanced as you'd expect homebrew on a wiki to be.

The Glyphstone
2012-07-23, 04:42 PM

It's technically called Anouska's Ladder, but yeah, it's in the Ordo Dracul book, along with the Coil of the Locust, its opposite number. It also has the Coils of Flesh and Soul. I believe Immortal Sinners and Ancient Mysteries each have a different version of a Coil of Slumber, but they're boring.

Aron Times
2012-07-29, 03:54 PM
They are Anoushka's Ladder and the Way of the Locust. You need a high level of Coils just to be able to take the first dot in either Coil, and it's entirely up to the ST whether they exist or not by RAW (they're "apocryphal" and may or may not actually exist in any given chronicle). Anoushka's Ladder requires very high Humanity, as you already know. The Way of the Locust, on the other hand, will result in very low Humanity as it involves diablerizing humans.

Yummy, yummy human souls.

Lord_Kjeran
2012-08-16, 05:39 PM
Well, admittedly this is from VtM not VtR, but wasn't there a level 10 Thaumatergy power for House Tremere that allowed "Sun-Walking?" A ritual involving swallowing a diamond?

The Glyphstone
2012-08-16, 07:25 PM
10th level Disciplines, ritual or otherwise, are Plot Devices. Fortitude 10 could let you stand on the surface of the sun without injury.

Sturmcrow
2012-08-17, 05:00 PM
I was wondering if it was possible in Vampire: The Requiem to build up to being able to walk in the sun without taking damage, or somehow mitigating the damage down to nothing. I only have access to the Core Requiem book at the moment, but if needed I can use sources from other books.

Also, I would like to avoid using any means that would drop humanity.

Otherwise, Experience is not an issue, or blood potency (since it kind of predicates on experience.) The character will be a Daeva.

Rite of Going Forth By Day (Mekhet: Clanbook Followers of Seth)