PDA

View Full Version : I feel devious >=D

Greyfeld85
2012-07-17, 11:56 AM
In a PBP game I'm running, my players have begun to grow accustomed to a certain amount of ambiguity in the hints that I drop for them, and sort of forging their own path. However, today I dropped a rather obvious hint on them.

They've responded by assuming that it's too obvious to be a hint.

Holy crap, I think I've just stumbled onto something wonderful and evil xD

Eldan
2012-07-17, 01:05 PM
In a PBP game I'm running, my players have begun to grow accustomed to a certain amount of ambiguity in the hints that I drop for them, and sort of forging their own path. However, today I dropped a rather obvious hint on them.

Welcome to the wonderful world of devious GMing. Now you can start to really mess with them. Don't pull the "obvious" hint card too often, or it will lose it's impact. Do it once per adventure, but not more. THen add more ways to trick them, like shapeshifters, false backstories, illusions and conspiracies.

Feralventas
2012-07-17, 01:48 PM
Had something like this last weekend. I was DMing, and the game had taken a turn under water. Party knows they're facing aboleths, and when faced with a big, open amphatheatre-shaped cavern, the 'casters detect magic, seeing illusions of blank terrain and rock and stone and such, though no one has true-seeing.

The party investigates, getting several Spot checks along the way, and are still looking down at the illusions when the attack comes from the poorly-lit upper chambers, hidden with simple hide-checks and circumstantial bonuses.

Ranting Fool
2012-07-17, 04:10 PM

Ah yes the guilty pleasure of many a DM.... whats even more fun is when you add a bit of random discription and a player KNOWS it must be a vital clue or else the DM wouldn't have mentioned it. Que 45 min wait while the PC's worry about that "odd shaped rock" you discribed in the clearing up a head. Everytime this has happened to me it was not intended but ended up being rather funny :smallbiggrin:

Novawurmson
2012-07-17, 04:15 PM
From my recent campaign:

1. Players are looking for a MacGuffin of Enchantment.
2. Players find out that a BBEG Enchantress has stolen the MacGuffin of Enchantment and witnesses her (by means of scrying) using it to control a high priest of a powerful religion.
3. Party comes to find out that enchantress was, in fact, dominated into stealing the device to begin with by an illusionist who was using her as a diversion. He gave her a convincing dud and kept both the illusion MacGuffin and the enchantment MacGuffin for himself.