PDA

View Full Version : Class levels for an NPC djinni

Lord Il Palazzo
2012-07-17, 01:05 PM
Ginorbol, Z'D'nt, Thaajin, Uial and Aira, stay out. Here there (may) be spoilers.

Sometime in the not overly distant future, an NPC djinni is going to show up in the campaign I'm running. In my setting, I envision djinn as wanderers who tend to travel the world/planes/multiverse to alleviate the boredom that comes with extraordinarily long lives. (This individual will have a touch of the Tenth Doctor in his personality but not necessarily in his abilities.)

I'd like to give him levels in some class (probably either houseruling down or away the LA or gestalting some of the racial HD to make up for it), but am not sure what to use. I'd like something (possibly a caster) that works on a system that will look strange and exotic to the players, who are all pretty inexperienced and whose characters are mostly core (with a beguiler, a splash of swordsage and the dread commando prestige class, as well as a handful of feats, as the party's non-core components.) Something that could play up a sort of "I've picked up bits and pieces of knowledge from all over the world/multiverse" feeling would be really great.

Any advice from people with a better idea of what's out there in non-core sources would be much appreciated.

Flickerdart
2012-07-17, 02:56 PM
Noble Djinn or regular ones?

Either way, they have enough levels to hop right into either Divine Crusader or Ur-Priest (so you don't need to do anything about their RHD, and as monsters, LA doesn't matter) and have level appropriate spells. If you want to go more exotic, you could refluff Binder as them literally giving a call to a buddy of theirs and loaning some power, and use Improved Binding to catch up. Chameleon would also be a good choice, since they are extremely versatile and have their own progressions for everything.

nedz
2012-07-17, 08:13 PM
The trouble with this idea is the RHD and LA which will make several options suck. So that means casters will be so weak that they will not impress anyone.

I did create an interesting NPC a while back which was
Djann/Horizon Walker.
I gave him the Educated feat which allowed him to go straight into the PrC.
He was quite the skill-monkey and had lots of travel options. He sucked in combat, but hey, NPC.

Lord Il Palazzo
2012-07-17, 11:50 PM
The trouble with this idea is the RHD and LA which will make several options suck. So that means casters will be so weak that they will not impress anyone.As I said, I'm willing to house rule or gestalt some of the RHD or LA to make the character a bit more impressive. Even so, making him a caster would be hard without some very fast advancing class (a la Ur-Priest) to get him relevant spells. He's going to be showing up as an ally to the PCs who I doubt will join in on too many fights so I'm not too concerned about what his CR when I'm done.

In terms of story, he is a noble djinni, though I probably won't handle it quite the same way the MM does (with even more RHD on top of the LA).