PDA

View Full Version : Craft (Alchemy) Handbook?

Elric VIII
2012-07-17, 02:05 PM
After fruitless searches on google, I come here asking if anyone knows of a good handbook for the Craft (alchemy) skill.

Failing that, I found a large list of alchemical substances (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/22650521/?pg=last) that I can peruse.

The information I hope to find is:
1. How late into the game does alchemy remain useful (since you're a spellcaster, anyway)?

2. Is there a way to increase DCs to make more potent versions of low level items?

3. Are there rules that govern large doses/concentrated yields (such as a double-sized acid flask dealing more damage or haiving more splash)?

4. Aside from poison-related feats/items, are there any feats/items that enhance the things you can create?

5. Any random trivia or useful PrC dips (that don't lose casting) would be welcome as well.

Thank you.

The Random NPC
2012-07-17, 02:22 PM
2. Is there a way to increase DCs to make more potent versions of low level items?

The only way I am aware of to do this, is with an epic feat.

whibla
2012-07-17, 02:26 PM
There is a supplement available called Alchemy and Herbalism, that greatly adds to the available options for the healing and alchemy skills.

But.. you did say 'a good handbook'...

tbh, it's worth a look if you can find a copy to borrow, but I'm not sure I'd go much further that that, for all that there's some good stuff in there (for example Temperant Baths, a whole host of alchemical potions, and Mage Silver and Mage Gold - though you'd be somewhat mad to allow either of the last two into your campaign in any quantity).

Anyways, hope this helps, or if not, you find what you're looking for.

Tvtyrant
2012-07-17, 02:34 PM
...The highest DC is a 30? Wow, you could craft all of this stuff extremely early in the game with magic.

Elric VIII
2012-07-17, 05:28 PM
...The highest DC is a 30? Wow, you could craft all of this stuff extremely early in the game with magic.

Yeah, that was my reaction (although I think positoxins go up to 40). It's like there's a really big gap in the functionality of this skill until you get to that epic feat that The Random NPC mentioned.

Although even without magic you can get decent skill checks at early levels (and you can take 10 on crafting anyway). Masterwork tools, skill focus, Int score (because you're a Wizard, right?) and a few helpers gets you there at 3-4th level.

Diovid
2012-07-17, 05:37 PM
Alchemist Savant (Magic of Eberron) and Master Alchemist (Magic of Faerūn) are both alchemy-related spellcasting advancing prcs.

Lonely Tylenol
2012-07-17, 06:22 PM
I've posted a (near-) comprehensive list of alchemical items that can be made. The highest DC is actually 40 (for the Liquid Mortality positoxin).

Further, there are some rules to make alchemy a little modular: you can increase the DC by increments of 10 to speed up the creation process (since the amount of work done is the DC x the check result), or you could use the epic alchemy skill check rules to create augmented alchemical items, for which you increase the DC by 20 and multiply the cost for item creation by 5, which allows you to double the damage, or double the duration, or double the range of effect, depending on what the item does. Both of these rules are on the SRD, but are elaborated on in Complete Adventurer and the Epic Level Handbook, respectively.

Also, don't forget the first-level spell Magecraft--if you're a Wizard or Factotum, it's pretty much essential to cast during your downtime, and if you're a spontaneous caster who can't afford to put this spell on your list, it's worth buying as an Eternal Wand. It's basically a +5 competence bonus item (2500 gp) for a fraction of the cost.

The Random NPC
2012-07-17, 06:40 PM
Unfortunately, you can't use the epic alchemy rules to create augmented alchemical items without the feat Augmented Alchemy feat, which is an epic feat.

Cieyrin
2012-07-17, 06:42 PM
I've posted a (near-) comprehensive list of alchemical items that can be made. The highest DC is actually 40 (for the Liquid Mortality positoxin).

You can potentially go higher, remembering that you can fake Craft(Poisonmaking) with Craft(Alchemy) at I think a -5 penalty and there are some high DCs for poisons, especially the ones in Dungeonscape. I'd check Akalsaris' Arsenic and Old Lace Poison handbook (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=2714.0) for that.

Further, there are some rules to make alchemy a little modular: you can increase the DC by increments of 10 to speed up the creation process (since the amount of work done is the DC x the check result), or you could use the epic alchemy skill check rules to create augmented alchemical items, for which you increase the DC by 20 and multiply the cost for item creation by 5, which allows you to double the damage, or double the duration, or double the range of effect, depending on what the item does. Both of these rules are on the SRD, but are elaborated on in Complete Adventurer and the Epic Level Handbook, respectively.

You need the epic feat to use that option, though I don't see the game breaking itself if the feat gets retuned to pre-epic and the DCs adjusted, as I think doubling can work fine on a +10 DC basis.

Lonely Tylenol
2012-07-17, 06:44 PM
Unfortunately, you can't use the epic alchemy rules to create augmented alchemical items without the feat Augmented Alchemy feat, which is an epic feat.

This is, unfortunately, true.

The +10 rule is still available, though.

EDIT (ninja'd):

You can potentially go higher, remembering that you can fake Craft(Poisonmaking) with Craft(Alchemy) at I think a -5 penalty and there are some high DCs for poisons, especially the ones in Dungeonscape. I'd check Akalsaris' Arsenic and Old Lace Poison handbook (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=2714.0) for that.

At a -4 to the check, yes, which makes Craft (alchemy) a viable alternative to Craft (poisonmaking) if you want to do both.