PDA

View Full Version : Good Players

Karoht
2012-07-17, 05:36 PM
I've seen a few threads now about bad DM behavior, good DM habits, and now one about bad player behavior.

It seems easier to define poor play rather than good play, and I am of the mind that being a good player or good DM is not simply avoiding all the things bad DM's/bad players do.

Lets get some feedback on what constitutes Good Player Behavior.

Any thoughts?

HunterColt22
2012-07-17, 06:14 PM
I've seen a few threads now about bad DM behavior, good DM habits, and now one about bad player behavior.

It seems easier to define poor play rather than good play, and I am of the mind that being a good player or good DM is not simply avoiding all the things bad DM's/bad players do.

Lets get some feedback on what constitutes Good Player Behavior.

Any thoughts?

Creativity, and keeping focus are always good traits. Again everything is in moderation, it just takes time to find the right balance between parties and the DMs. Personally I value creativity. In a recent encounter we did I had spider climb on me and we couldn't touch a certain enemy. I had noticed something else go to the top of our crow's nest on the ship we were on. So I went up and investigated. Good idea, yes and no, yes because the DM never expected some to do that and had fun with that creative on the fly, bad for me because then I got smacked with a back hand from a boss we were not ready to fight yet who was just observing us.

Karoht
2012-07-17, 06:22 PM
Brings their own snacks, chips in for munchies, books, minis, etc.

Kurald Galain
2012-07-17, 06:25 PM
Being on time...

The Dark Fiddler
2012-07-17, 06:29 PM
In the Bad Players thread, I described three of the five players in my group. Now, I'm going to describe another of the players in my group.

He is honestly the best player in our group. He plays interesting characters, with nuances and personality quirks and goals, but he doesn't let his character get in the way of everybody's fun. He does everything he can to keep the group together, but is willing to let go when things are beyond repair. He shares ideas with the DM (frequently me, these days), and sometimes his hypothesizing about the plot has led to actual inspiration. He's an entertaining roleplayer, but he's also quick with the jokes when we're being silly, and he's willing to take a few jokes at his own expense too.

So yeah, 'nother anecdote.

Logic
2012-07-17, 06:46 PM
Good players are on time, don't leave early because of a non-emergency (significant others are usually the blame for violating this one) friendly, polite, helpful (especially to newbies,) tolerant of bad players to a point, tolerant of bad DMs to a point, and attempt to ensure everyone has fun.

Private
2012-07-17, 06:53 PM
1. Keeping up-to-date character sheets with commonly used information readily available (spells, DCs, summoned creatures, alternate forms, etc.).

2. Players who don't aim to break the game, but instead create interesting character concepts. This is a value that I sometimes forget, as I am a power-gamer at heart, however my wife does this well, and I respect her for that.

3. Players who allow other players to have the spotlight. Nothing takes a player out of the game as much as another player always one-upping him/her.

4. Players who plan their turns while other players are acting.

5. Players who are able to stay on track and don't feel the need to tell every anecdote that pops into their head from games in the past.

6. Players who don't rush head first into every encounter "because that's what their character would do." I understand. He's a badass, and that is great, but our archer could get a surprise round, our cleric would love to buff, and our rogue would really enjoy a chance to get into position before you go all "Leroy Jenkins!!!!!!" on us.

Those are just a few for me. I'm sure I'll think of some more later.

LoneStarNorth
2012-07-17, 07:00 PM
Reliability is important. Being on time if you're going to show up, giving a few days notice if you CAN'T show up, not forgetting your books or dice or your character sheet... but I'll move on to a different point before I start ranting about someone specific.

To me, the mark of a GREAT player is someone who remembers things about the game. Plot details, the names of places and NPCs, and so on. Alternatively, taking notes if they have trouble keeping those things straight. It shows interest in the setting and a commitment to the story.

VGLordR2
2012-07-17, 07:02 PM
Another important one: Good players will know the rules that they are planning on using. If they'll be grappling a lot, they will know the grappling rules. If they're casting spells a lot, they will know the effects of their spells. Players who don't know rules that they plan on using really slow down the game while they try to look things up.

hobbitkniver
2012-07-17, 07:07 PM
For me, all it takes is someone who doesn't cause problems. As long as they don't attack other players randomly or bring the real world into the game or design their character around screwing the party then it's fine with me. I really don't mind people who make bad characters or are uncreative because that usually isn't something they can control and it usually doesn't cause problems either.

Mirakk
2012-07-17, 08:14 PM
To me, the mark of a GREAT player is someone who remembers things about the game. Plot details, the names of places and NPCs, and so on. Alternatively, taking notes if they have trouble keeping those things straight. It shows interest in the setting and a commitment to the story.

^ God, this!

It bothers me to no end when nobody can recite the name of their sworn enemy, or that someone offered them a large reward back at town for that troll head if they just bring it back to him. So many plot hooks get entirely forgotten because people are talking or playing with their damn phone instead of taking notes about stuff that is frankly really important.

Roguenewb
2012-07-17, 09:15 PM
Good playing comes with having everything at mind. Stats, rules systems, parts of the story, and, very importantly, who their character is, and what he is like.

ShadowPsyker
2012-07-17, 09:34 PM
Those who pay attention. Let me repeat that. Those who pay attention. You do not have to have a good memory or even know the rules. Just pay attention.

*Snaps fingers*

Are you listening?

DruchiiConversion
2012-07-18, 09:24 AM
I like my players to be creative. I primarily run West Marches games, so a lot of the story is driven by exploration until a main plot thread becomes obvious - and as a result, a lot of characters have precious little reason to really be motivated. As such, I really like it when my players build characters which are designed to have strong opinions on things, and give themselves plot hooks without my needing to be involved. I can write for those characters! I can write in little links to the things that drive them normally, and then they feel involved in the story all the way through. By contrast, lots of my players come in with barely a backstory at all, and their motivations are pretty much just following the guys who do have driving forces behind them.

HunterColt22
2012-07-18, 10:27 AM
Those who pay attention. Let me repeat that. Those who pay attention. You do not have to have a good memory or even know the rules. Just pay attention.

*Snaps fingers*

Are you listening?

Agreed there are many rules to memorize just with character creation that memorizing everything else on top of that, plus all your save dcs when you get a boost, when you don't, when can and can't you use something due to the environment, ie electricity underwater etc. Simply being able to pay attention is sometimes the best skill to have.

Novawurmson
2012-07-18, 03:26 PM
Players with just enough knowledge of the system to use their character fully and efficiently, but not enough to know everything you're trying to surprise them with. : D

Players who are deeply interested in the world they play in.

Players with the same RP/combat ratio preferences as the DM.

Players who help other players who are not as well versed in the system.

Players who can separate IC knowledge and OOC knowledge.

Logic
2012-07-18, 05:53 PM

*Snaps fingers*

Are you listening?

I take it you may have players on this board.