PDA

View Full Version : Searching for a cartoon.

Templarkommando
2012-07-17, 05:38 PM
If someone could help me I would be very appreciative.

I remember watching this show growing up in the 90s. I think it came on in the afternoons on Cartoon Network, but it might have been some other channel.

Here are the details I remember. The animation looked a lot like an older style anime. There were three central characters - all male. They were part of some military organization. They would go investigate enemy bases (for want of a better term) and when the action would start they would radio to a satellite which would beam their equipment onto them. Each of the main characters wore a different color (red, green, and blue) and each had a corresponding specialization. Red was air, green was ground, and blue was sea - so the red suits could fly, the green suits were built sort of like tanks, and the blue suits tended to be able to swim or at least participate in some kind of amphibious assault.

Any ideas?

Tengu_temp
2012-07-17, 05:44 PM
Centurions (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szjcCB8m3G8)?

Templarkommando
2012-07-17, 05:53 PM
That's it! You are my hero!

Aotrs Commander
2012-07-17, 07:25 PM
Notably, Centurions holds up rather better than most cartoons of it's era (says he who now has most of them on DVD in one form or another and has recently watched them); there are not, surprisingly, as many plot holes or idiot moments as in many shows; in the entire 65-episode run there weren't any bad episodes, though one or two were merely adequate.

Also, the beam-sequence does not get old, ever.

Centurions is the cartoon equivilent of a (good) action movie. It's not exactly deep with characterisation (but then again, look at MASK...!) but it does do it's job extremely well; plenty of good action sequences in which things get (properly) blown up (and even the Centurions and the cute (sic) animal "sidekicks" are not immune to getting hurt), and provides a villain who you can believe really will present a credible threat to the world.

I personally rank it in my top four western animation shows, alongside Avatar, W.i.t.c.h and Friendship is Magic (though they are all a bit apples to oranges in terms of genera).

MLai
2012-07-17, 08:19 PM
Centurions is your top "action movie" retro cartoon? I had thought that would be Spiral Zone or something. And the top "sci fi" retro cartoon would be Mighty Orbots.

MASK may be crap but it has VANESSA WARFIELD!! :smallredface:

Aotrs Commander
2012-07-17, 08:43 PM
Centurions is your top "action movie" retro cartoon? I had thought that would be Spiral Zone or something. And the top "sci fi" retro cartoon would be Mighty Orbots.

MASK may be crap but it has VANESSA WARFIELD!! :smallredface:

Never heard of the either of those two. (The later - from a wiki inspection - appears to be arguably anime as well.) They probably didn't make it to this side of the pond.

To be fair, Vanessa may be the only character in the entire 65-episode series that may have had something resembling character development... in the penultimate episode of the entire series.

MASK, unfortunately, has is, in my estimation, held up the least well out of all of the old cartoons. It is now sadly in the "so bad it's hilarious" category.

Having just yesterday completed watching the series, I could run on for hours ranting about it, but for brevity, I will constrain myself to say that my greatest disappointment was that Scott Trakker was never disembowelled with a rusty spike and had his soul set of fire.

Fri
2012-07-18, 08:47 AM
Holy. Apple Pies. On a basket.

Thank you.

I've been looking for this show that I watched in my childhood for years, but I never managed to find it.

OF COURSE I never managed to find it. It's not Mighty ROBOTS. It's Mighty ORBOTS.

Thank you so much.