PDA

View Full Version : What game should I run?

Sir_Gabes
2012-07-18, 06:23 AM
I'm gonna list a few options and you guys give me some feedback. Things like, what system I should use for my concepts and what types of characters would allow for a optimal group. I like realistic mechanics, with lethal combat and broad possibilities.

1. A thieves/assasin guild concept. All characters belonging to or leading the guild. I would put an emphasis on the competitive nature of thievery. With opposing guilds and factions. It would be a fantasy setting.

2. A biker gang concept, based on a sort of futuristic corrupt dystopia. The characters will all come from less than humble backgrounds. The themes will be rebellion, change and underdog style victories.

The two concepts are very similiar in nature. Biggest difference being setting. The most obvious enemies will be law enforcement, government and rival guilds/gangs. There will however be darker more secretive enemies.

Grail
2012-07-18, 07:02 AM
Don't use DnD or Pathfinder for the fantasy setting unless you E6 it. Thief Guild games should be a bit more gritty.

If you Biker Gang it, don't Modern d20 it for the same reason.

True20 (http://True20.com) is a good d20 variation that will suit the game style well for either game.

Maelstrom is a good historic styled game, as well, very rules lite but full of goodness. They've just released a Fantasy Supplement for it.

GURPS is also a good option for both settings.

I'd play whatever game you and your players want to play.

ExtravagantEvil
2012-07-18, 07:05 AM
If you're asking for advice, I'd say that you should look at the one you can develop most. Which one, for you, is easier to come up with plot threads in, and which one would you most likely be able to improvise best in? That's the spirit of a good campaign, a fun idea (both are) and one that the players will like, and one the DM/GM/Storyteller/etc., can work fluidly in.

In personal preference.
That Biker Gang would be interesting if set in Shadowrun (any edition)

dsmiles
2012-07-18, 07:07 AM
I'd recommend FATE or FUDGE for the Thieves' Guild, and Apocalypse World for the biker Gangs.

Sir_Gabes
2012-07-18, 10:34 AM
I'm posting the synopsis of my thieves guild idea.

Like fleas on a dog, you will find thieves in a city. Whether pinching pennies in the market or robbing from graves . You are a member of the family. A cousin, a brother, a sister or adopted. Your bonds a greater then the most disciplined legions. As you wheel and deal your way through, politics and commerce.*
Your tools could be: a knife in the back, poison in the wine or simply a smoldering look. But, "trust" me you'll need them. You enemies are numerous.

The Aristocracy: the inbred nobility think they can sweep the scum under the rug and wave goodbye to their problems. Their primary mission is clear. Usurp the democratic government and replace it with a monarchy.

The Guard: the guard are corrupt and malleable. But, there are those as rigid and unyielding as stone foundations the reside in.

The Church: better thieves then us! Can you believe it? They hold your soul hostage and make sure you pay the ransom. Promising forgiveness for all eternity. At least until next Sunday...

The Cult: Strange things happen beyond those cold walls. Twisted rituals, dark hyms, necrophilia. Depending on who you ask The Cult is probably the scariest of the lot.

The Rabble: It's a desperate world out there. Merchants, mercenaries other families. You can trust no one.

Keep your back to the wall, look out for the family and long live the patriarch.

The character archetypes I will be using.

Apothecary: grave digging for dissections, making poisons and explosives, patching up the thieves with no paper trail.

Smith: Someone needs to make the armour with 4 compartments designed for concealing weapons and important documents.

Tactician: he organises the family and ensures everything is running smoothly. He keeps tabs on people and such.

Merchant: this guy could sell meat to vegans he could be a politician or a conman.

Courtesan: men are at their weakest when staring into the eyes pretty lady. Distracting and alluring a potent weapon.

Infiltrator: Masters of getting to places they shouldn't. Picking locks, hiding and grabbing anything not nailed down.

Bandit: survivalists and scouts, they spend alot of time outside the city limits delivering messages to other cities or collecting tolls.

Mercenary: intimidating bodyguards and bag men. Frontline soldiers who know their way around the streets.

I will post the bike gang synopsis and character archetypes later.