PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Mystic splash ranger help?

animewatcha
2012-07-18, 01:09 PM
Ability scores Homebrewed. No ToB. No Incarnum. No psionics. No lesser-ofs. LA +0. +1 only if extremely good. No LA-buyoff. Can't be evil as per the class. Dragon/dungeon comp and mags are allowed. Sources and supplements, etc. of WOTC allowed ( one of them is a little open to Bastards and bloodlines, but other DM is general Drag/dung and WOTC only.

Several things that I could use help on.

First. They often used explosive/exploding arrows ( come in quivers of 5 ). Not the magical kind, but ones you can apparently craft. What book is this in since apparently I seem to be missing something in that it's not in the player's handbook. I was hoping to make masterwork version of these to qualify them for spells like the ranger spell that splits one into 1d4+1. Combined with Splitting ench and I like the idea of blowing holes through the floor at the cost of a swift spell and arrow.

Second. What are good ranger spells to prepare 1st to 4th ( and if DMs allow expanding to 5th level via spell comp ranger themed versions of them ). Be they arrow or buffs. Granted I already reserved a slot 1st to 4th for the Primal collection.

Third: Race/Template: Was thinking either human or one of elves or even illumian. Open to suggestions. Same with template so long as meet above restrictions.

Fourth: Types of arrows/bolts. Assuming I twong bolts through the bow at a improvised penalty.. What are good arrow and bolts types for 'square-targeting if not target-targetting' for ****ing up the battlefield? splash wise so I only need touch attacks.

Fifth: Feats. Feats that are good for this kind of mystic ranger build?

Sixth: Equipment. Initiative stuff is a must, I know. What other good equipment would complement this? Thinking Elvencraft bow??

Seventh: I am not familiar with tracking. Anything good about it or anything good I can lose it for?

Urpriest
2012-07-18, 01:21 PM
There are a few versions of the concept of exploding arrows around. What did your group tell you when you asked where they were from?

animewatcha
2012-07-18, 01:31 PM
I just came upon the mystic ranger concept recently so the 'exploding arrow idea' was came up recently. I never asked about it cause I didn't think of wanting to use it yet ( other classes. ) However, what has been mentioned to me in the past was stored is special quivers of 5 a piece and that apparently a fighter can make them ( assuming no magic needed ). Bout all that I have to go on.

eggs
2012-07-18, 01:45 PM
Arms and Equipment and Races of the Wild have mundane arrows with fire damage, but neither deals any splash damage.

On my current Mystic Ranger archer, I've been getting the most use from:
Level 1:
Blockade, Entangle, Guided Shot, Hawkeye, Resist Energy
Level 2:
Barkskin, Hunter's Eye, Listening Lorecall, Near Horizon, Primal Instinct, Spellslayer Arrow, Wind Wall
Level 3:
Arrowsplit (a couple preparations), Bottle of Smoke, Mass Burrow
Level 4:
Bloodfreeze Arrow, Freedom of Movement, Nondetection (but proably not with a non-Mystic ranger)
...and maybe Foebane (but that depends heavily on party tactics and specific gear; it sucks if you already have a splitting bow).

And on off-days, the rest of the Primal X spells to cast before bed. (Various bonuses and Improved Uncanny Dodge are awesome if they're free)

gorfnab
2012-07-18, 11:41 PM
How about a Swift Hunter?

Human
1. Scout - Magical Training, Point Blank Shot
2. Mystic Ranger - B: Track
3. Mystic Ranger - Precise Shot (Arcane Hunter ACF)
4. Scout
5. Scout
6. Scout - B: Swift Hunter, Knowledge Devotion
7. Scout
8. Mystic Ranger - B: Rapid Shot
9. Mystic Ranger - B: Endurance, Sword of the Arcane Order
10. Mystic Ranger
11. Mystic Ranger
12. Mystic Ranger - B: Manyshot, Greater Manyshot
13. Mystic Ranger
14. Mystic Ranger - (Spell Relfection ACF)
15. Mystic Ranger - Nemesis (Arcanists) or Practiced Spellcaster
16. Mystic Ranger
17. Mystic Ranger - B: Improved Precise Shot
18. Mystic Ranger - Improved Skirmish
19. Mystic Ranger
20. Mystic Ranger

ThiagoMartell
2012-07-19, 02:35 AM
Can't recommend Hunter's Mercy, Arrow Storm and Arrowmind enough.

eggs
2012-07-19, 10:44 AM
I see Arrow Storm recommended for Rangers all the time.

Is there something I'm missing that would disable targets with one shot, or is the idea just to pepper a whole bunch of enemies with 1d8+Str+Enhancements damage at a time?

nedz
2012-07-19, 03:02 PM
I see Arrow Storm recommended for Rangers all the time.

Is there something I'm missing that would disable targets with one shot, or is the idea just to pepper a whole bunch of enemies with 1d8+Str+Enhancements damage at a time?

Its a counter for Mirror Image.

animewatcha
2012-07-19, 07:10 PM
Aoe damage if need be. Aoe disable if need be. The group I am with ( spread out town and not too many friends due to ) allows called shots.

So Urpriest. Any luck on those variations you mentioned?

If one was to tweak gorbnab's build a bit. How about I going about full attacking and skirmishing at same time while still keeping up mayhem? Which spells for Magical Training? Also, if two flaws were allowed, how to modify build?

gorfnab
2012-07-19, 10:04 PM
If one was to tweak gorbnab's build a bit. How about I going about full attacking and skirmishing at same time while still keeping up mayhem?
Manyshot is a Standard Action so you still have your Move Action available in the round. As for going for a Full Attack Action look into Belt of Battle, Chronocharm: Horizon Walker, and Travel Devotion.

Which spells for Magical Training?
Detect Magic, Read Magic, Mage Hand

Also, if two flaws were allowed, how to modify build?

Human
1. Scout - Magical Training, Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot, Education, (Flaws: Murky-Eyed, Noncombatant, Phantom Spark, or Haunted)
2. Mystic Ranger - B: Track
3. Mystic Ranger - Knowledge Devotion (Arcane Hunter ACF)
4. Scout
5. Scout
6. Scout - B: Swift Hunter, Nemesis: Arcanists
7. Scout
8. Mystic Ranger - B: Rapid Shot
9. Mystic Ranger - B: Endurance, Sword of the Arcane Order
10. Mystic Ranger
11. Mystic Ranger
12. Mystic Ranger - B: Manyshot, Greater Manyshot
13. Mystic Ranger
14. Mystic Ranger - (Spell Relfection ACF)
15. Mystic Ranger - Practiced Spellcaster or Travel Devotion
16. Mystic Ranger
17. Mystic Ranger - B: Improved Precise Shot
18. Mystic Ranger - Improved Skirmish
19. Mystic Ranger
20. Mystic Ranger

Lucid
2012-07-20, 06:36 AM
Though you said you didn't want to use too much magic, but Mystic Ranger coupled with SotAO actually makes dipping two levels of Arcane Archer (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/prestigeClasses/arcaneArcher.htm) worthwhile imo.

This could get you AoE damage/effects on your arrows.

Urpriest
2012-07-20, 11:24 AM
Huh. I could swear the concept has been done more than once, but I can only find the Alchemical Arrow stuff in Arms and Equipment Guide, and none of them actually do AoE damage.